IGNORED

do I need to get my passport laminated?

Djs1969

Hi and b4 you scream at me I have done a search in history 

I ask about getting my passport laminated as I have been Los many times and never got asked at a currency exchange only ever at a bank

So do I need to in pattaya ?

Thanks

Just now, Djs1969 said:

I ask about getting my passport laminated as I have been Los many times and never got asked at a currency exchange only ever at a bank

Thanks

You mean a copy of your passport,you need to show your passport when you change money I don't think a copy is enough.

your passport belongs to your government, you mess with at at your own risk, do not even think of it.

I don't really get the question. Why would anyone get their passport laminated?

Many people, like myself, get the I.D. page and the current visa page copied onto a credit card sized piece of paper and have that laminated. Maybe that's what the OP means?

On 9/6/2017 at 11:18, Pattaya_Brian said:

I don't really get the question. Why would anyone get their passport laminated?

Many people, like myself, get the I.D. page and the current Visa page copied onto a credit card sized piece of paper and have that laminated. Maybe that's what the OP means?

Thats what he`ll mean,changing money at the currency booths you need ID,its the only time i ever need it to be honest!

On 06/09/2017 at 11:44, Djs1969 said:

Thanks

No, 20+ trips and I have never done it or carried my passport. 

On 06/09/2017 at 10:55, simon46 said:

your passport belongs to your government, you mess with at at your own risk, do not even think of it.

I think he means should he get a Laminated COPY of the main ID page and Visa I have not been stopped but I had a photocopy on me, like holiday insurance I have it just don't want to use it.

i just use my uk driving license when i change money , my passport never leaves the condo

120 baht to get a laminated business card sized copy of your passport with the ID page on one side and visa page on the reverse. At the Kodak shop on Soi Buakhow near soi Diana corner.

I've never been asked to show ID in all the time I've been visiting Thailand (30 years now) other than when changing money.

I still get a laminated copy of my passport details page & the current visa/entry stamp now just in case. 70 baht in the Kodak shop in Jomtien. In current circumstances, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

A laminated copy is still just a copy. Just a more durable copy that isn't at all equal to the real thing.

On 9/6/2017 at 16:47, adammike said:

You mean a copy of your passport,you need to show your passport when you change money I don't think a copy is enough.

these days exchanges do req ID. in pattaya TT exchanges...............of which there are many............ are happy with a copy of your passport page. take your passport first time and if you ask them nicely they will give you an extra copy back that they will except in future transactions.

I did it once only and haven't bothered since. As you need to show visa entry/exit dates you'll need to get a new one every 1-2 months, so not worth the effort.

I think i laminated my travel insurance last trip, paper one gets knackered carrying it about all the time.

6 hours ago, wolf1611 said:

i just use my uk driving license when i change money , my passport never leaves the condo

Yes, but it's smart to have a laminated (or not) copy of your passport ID page and the current visa page, just in case you have an encounter of some kind with the police. They will probably ask you for it, and if you don't have that copy, well, as many of us know, the cops here can make things as easy or as tough as possible. You could end up sitting in a jail cell until you can produce it.

Better safe than sorry.

15 hours ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Yes, but it's smart to have a laminated (or not) copy of your passport ID page and the current Visa page, just in case you have an encounter of some kind with the police. They will probably ask you for it, and if you don't have that copy, well, as many of us know, the cops here can make things as easy or as tough as possible. You could end up sitting in a jail cell until you can produce it.

Better safe than sorry.

You learn these things the hard way - until the BIB shine a light on you it all just seems like unnecessary nonsense.

Other advantages include  not having to carry your actual passport at all times. A copy is enough to avoid an on-the-spot fine ( laminated or not)

I've found that hotels prefer to see the actual passport but as an alternative will accept a Thai driving license. I don't like giving my passport to hotels, even to copy. My Thai driving license is less valuable.

16 hours ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Yes, but it's smart to have a laminated (or not) copy of your passport ID page and the current Visa page, just in case you have an encounter of some kind with the police. They will probably ask you for it, and if you don't have that copy, well, as many of us know, the cops here can make things as easy or as tough as possible. You could end up sitting in a jail cell until you can produce it.

Better safe than sorry.

Keep meaning to get around to it but haven't so far. Have even been taken to cop shop in Bkk to piss in a cup (couldn't at the complex they gave me shit at) and still wasn't even asked for passport. As always, TIT, so sometimes shit may happen, luckily for me, so far it hasn't.

17 hours ago, Pattaya_Brian said:

Better safe than sorry.

yeah hence why i take a picture of my passport and visa on my phone along with my condo rental etc 

On September 6, 2017 at 02:44, Djs1969 said:

Thanks

Passport or a copy seems to be the requirement now at FX booths.

TT posted this notice:

image.png

On ‎6‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 19:44, Djs1969 said:

Thanks

With all the options available in Patts, laminating your passport like a 15 year old's stick magazine , should really be somewhere on the bottom of the list of things to do no matter how much of a sexy man you are.

Lets assume he means a laminated COPY then it is certainly advisable as it is a legal requirement even tho, yeah yeah we know, few get asked.

as several have said its 70 -150 Baht and takes 2 minutes so why not?

if you want to go that extra mile get the CC sized obe from Imm as they "verify" before laminating.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I get a laminated copy of my Passport picture page and on the reverse I copy my travel insurance details and their emergency phone number.

The authorities can easily check if you have a valid visa from your passport number, and you would have to get a new copy every 60/90 days with tourist visa's.

If I have an accident and am unconscious in hospital I would prefer the medical team to attend to me properly, knowing that they will be paid.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Luggage said:

Strange the couple of times I exchanged currencies in Thailand I never been asked for my passport. 

If you are in BKK or Pattaya it's even stranger if you haven't. At least for a copy of your PP  If you are up country somewhere then maybe they are a bit slacker.

Archived