IGNORED

Best advice

johnfb43

I am 61 years of age from the UK. I want a retirement visa for Thailand. I do not work but have a UK teachers pension paying out $1300 a month. I recently started to receive a further150 GB Pounds a month from my mother paid into my UK account. What should I do? What do I need to do to get the retirement visa and what will it cost? I will want multi entry as 4/5 times a year I will leave Thailand for short trips. Thank you.  

Unfortunately your income is not enough for a retirement visa. Even if you could count the 150GBP which I doubt that you can) you still fall short of the 65000THB a month income requirement. You would therefore need to show about 260000 Baht (if the 150GBP can not be included) savings.

Your best option is probably to get to Thailand on a tourist visa (if you are not already there) and get 800000 Baht into a Thai bank account in preparation for applying for an extension of stay base on retirement. Given that you what to travel in and out you would also need to get a multiple entry re-entry permit.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

10 minutes ago, Scumbag said:

Unfortunately your income is not enough for a retirement Visa. Even if you could count the 150GBP (which I doubt that you can) you still fall short of the 65000THB (a month income requirement. You would therefore need to show about 260000 Baht (if the 150GBP can not be included) savings.

Your best option is probably to get to Thailand on a tourist Visa (if you are not already there) and get 800000 Baht into a Thai bank account in preparation for applying for an extension of stay base on retirement. Given that you what to travel in and out you would also need to get a multiple entry re-entry permit.

at the US embassy you just tell them how much you make, fill out the form, and sign it and they stamp it.  no one checks

I think I read the UK office does it too, but that might be old info

2 minutes ago, just hanging said:

at the US embassy you just tell them how much you make, fill out the form, and sign it and they stamp it.  no one checks

I think I read the UK office does it too, but that might be old info

The OP said he is from UK and for us to get the Embassy letter we have to provide proof (can be done by online/post).
Whether they check it or not we don't know....maybe not but they could because they are part of Gov.UK.

In the OP's situation, if he doesn't want to bank the full 800k I'd go for the combined method Scummy outlined, but the 260k would have to be seeded 2 months same as if he banked 800k.
I also doubt that the 150 GBP could be used as it could stop at any time like any gift money.

52 minutes ago, johnfb43 said:

I am 61 years of age from the UK. I want a retirement Visa for Thailand. I do not work but have a UK teachers pension paying out $1300 a month. I recently started to receive a further150 GB Pounds a month from my mother paid into my UK account. What should I do? What do I need to do to get the retirement Visa and what will it cost? I will want multi entry as 4/5 times a year I will leave Thailand for short trips. Thank you.  

Look in the mirror...  Get a Job & move to Thailand when you can afford it...

I'm not being harsh, just being honest & I follow my own advice as I'm still working despite having more than double the $s you're talking about (my target is 150,000 THB per month which I will hit by the end of the year)...

I'll assume you meant £1,300 per month (If it was $s then you're really screwed) which is less than 55,000 THB & (IMHO) way to little to be thinking of retiring on... 

Good Luck with whatever you decide 

Sadly cannot work anymore (due to ill-health can do an easy low paid part time job only). I meant $1300 a month. That's it. It's not much but all I have. I am in the Philippines on a tourist visa at present. I certainly have not got 800k THB to place in a bank, I have about 40k THB only in funds. I cannot return to UK as funds and pension are insufficient.

Sadly cannot work anymore (due to ill-health can do an easy low paid part time job only). I meant $1300 a month. That's it. It's not much but all I have. I am in the Philippines on a tourist visa at present. I certainly have not got 800k THB to place in a bank, I have about 40k THB only in funds. I cannot return to UK as funds and pension are insufficient.

Mate, I'd stay in the Philippines (ok, I'm biased, have a Fillipina gf of 7 years & a house in Kapalong, couple of hours north of Davao)

Sorry to say but the days of Thailand being a cheap place to retire are long gone unless you move out to the sticks.

I find accommodation and food in Pattaya v cities in Philippines a bit cheaper. Electricity is much cheaper in Pattaya too. 

I find accommodation and food in Pattaya v cities in Philippines a bit cheaper. Electricity is much cheaper in Pattaya too. 

I don't know your personal circumstances but you can find a nice "Pension House" room for very little money (hotels are ridiculously over priced & Utility bills are stupid), but I do believe (& have done the maths) that you can have a better life there on a smaller budget than you can in Thailand.

I can't see an answer for Thailand other than to disappear into the boonies on long term overstay.

Cambodia calling?
Go in on Ordinary/E Visa and extend one year for <$300 then get set up in Sihanoukville.

But most important is to find the cheapest answer to the retirement visa problem for me in Thailand.

I don't know your personal circumstances but you can find a nice "Pension House" room for very little money (hotels are ridiculously over priced & Utility bills are stupid), but I do believe (& have done the maths) that you can have a better life there on a smaller budget than you can in Thailand.

Get married and you only need 400,000. Any chance your mum could lend you the 800k just to have in the bank here? Really no cheaper options.

I find the Philippines too difficult. I cannot find the same quality rental condo accommodation in the Philippines compared to what I can find in Pattaya. Electricity is much cheaper in Pattaya (if Government rates). Simple food in Pattaya is of better quality and really cheap again compared to the Philippines.

Philippines does win hands down on finding GFE company at an affordable cost.

Cambodia is interesting but I find prices for most things more expensive than Pattaya.

No plans to marry anyone, I live alone.

I cannot borrow from my elderly mother.

I will get the UK state pension (maybe 80% of it anyway) when I reach 66 years of age.

You guys are honestly so helpful.

No plans to marry anyone, I live alone.
I cannot borrow from my elderly mother.
I will get the UK state pension (maybe 80% of it anyway) when I reach 66 years of age.
You guys are honestly so helpful.

Good luck mate, seems your heart/mind is set on a move to Pattaya/Thailand so wish you all the best with that [emoji106]

Do please keep us up-to-date on your progress, I'm making the shift next year so for 1 am interested in following your experiences

It will be hard to last 4 to 5 years on visas and exempts. Mate, we are trying to be helpful but it is not easy in Thailand anymore and they are only making it harder.

As said above, easiest visa is Cambodia. About $360 for a year and you can even work on that visa. Means you could get to Thailand often, and even try stick it out. Worst is you are back to Cambo until you to figure a way back into Thailand using TV's and exempts.

20 minutes ago, johnfb43 said:

I...............................

Cambodia is interesting but I find prices for most things more expensive than Pattaya.

In PP I'd agree, but there are cheaper options in SHV I think.

Having said that, a guy I know who found he couldn't afford to live in Pattaya went and lived in SHV for about 3 years then went to try AC and has been there about 2 years so far.

35 minutes ago, johnfb43 said:

But most important is to find the cheapest answer to the retirement Visa problem for me in Thailand.

The cheapest/only option for you seems to be the dodgy way i.e. about 20k for the conversion to O and the Retirement Extension, using the money in money out method......means about half your savings gone I know.

Best if you come in on a SETV I think because there's less time pressure, but a 30 day Stamp works too.

I'm not recommending it but there are agents' adverts aplenty and if you want I can PM you the contact details for a man who can.

easy fixed, one word     Cambodia

Phnom Penh is very expensive (compared to Pattaya) for rental of decent condos. 

Food a bit more expensive.

Life there a bit harder than in Pattaya. 

Girls a bit cheaper in PP I would guess. I am not a drinker so no comparison needed. 

Pattaya is still cheap, and still affordable....

A nice room in a central location can be had in Pattaya for under 6,000 baht and much cheaper if you are easy to please....

It is hard to go over 1,000 baht in electric unless you are running your air con all day

Thai food is cheap and plenty.... 

Cell phone service and internet is super cheap and reliable...

Pattaya has it all... 

6 minutes ago, navidnavid said:

Pattaya is still cheap, and still affordable....

A nice room in a central location can be had in Pattaya for under 6,000 baht and much cheaper if you are easy to please....

It is hard to go over 1,000 baht in electric unless you are running your air con all day

Thai food is cheap and plenty.... 

Cell phone service and internet is super cheap and reliable...

Pattaya has it all... 

his only problem is his visa.   scary retiring here when you cannot put 800K in the bank.  will earn some interest and you need for backup.  back in UK you can get free housing and hospital care, not here

As a former teacher, I assume qualified to UK standards as he has a pension, is an Ed Visa an option or even an official part time job in Education here in Thailand?

OP'er you can retire on the money you have (£ or $). The more you have the more you spend! Just make the decision to move and find a new home and work the papers (Visa) while your on the ground. Go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daryle

Archived