IGNORED

Best advice

johnfb43

Here's an alternative. Live in Pattaya for a few months over the winter only (4 months+), i know many retired guys who do that + move in with your mum for the rest of the time in the UK + Sell your house if you own it. If you can't do the last two just go for a few months a year.

Big advantage is you have the NHS, medical bills in Thailand will get very high if you become seriously ill. I've read threads of older guys getting wiped out by the hospital bills.

Live a frugal life in the UK save up, look forward to Pattaya and enjoy spending it whilst there

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Big advantage is you have the NHS, medical bills in Thailand will get very high if you become seriously ill. I've read threads of older guys getting wiped out by the hospital bills.

This is the reason why I would not recommend trying to survive in Thailand on what is essentially a subsistence budget. Anything other than minor medical issues can cause a bad situation. There is no space for things to go wrong and that is usually when they do just that. You can end up begging on gofundme after a motorbike accident like this guy.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

In UK I tried to get free housing was denied. My income from my pension of $1300 (about 1000 GBP) was deemed to be too high. I was in Surrey. If I had several young kids it would be easier with getting access to free housing.

The medical condition that I have means I am better off in a warmer climate. I can only work maybe 4 hours a day and nothing stressful or hard. I can do PT teaching for sure but age 61 no-one wants you as considered past it. The low paying Thai government schools might be possible.

I think Thailand or Cambodia interest me. My biggest fear (keep your nasty replies to yourselves!) is loneliness. I am sure that I can live a simple life and survive in either and head to the UK to get free hospital treatment if I need it.

Getting over the line with a retirement visa (ideally multi entry) is important as it means it's cheaper and easier over the year. I heard agents can do this for me @ 20-25k THB, might have to do this.

57 minutes ago, johnfb43 said:

...and head to the UK to get free hospital treatment if I need it.

You need to check this as I believe the UK system is a residency-based system that you may have difficulty accessing should you reside overseas.

Moving abroad: planning for your healthcare

'If you are moving abroad on a permanent basis, you will no longer automatically be entitled to medical treatment under normal NHS rules. This is because the NHS is a residence-based healthcare system.'

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

11 minutes ago, johnfb43 said:

OMG

Just make sure you keep a UK address and keep a bank account. At your mothers address would work. Get your pension paid into your UK account and transfer here, or draw from here. That way you can convince them you are just on a long holiday. Keep giving them that impression and don't cut ties. 

In UK I tried to get free housing was denied. My income from my pension of $1300 (about 1000 GBP) was deemed to be too high. I was in Surrey. If I had several young kids it would be easier with getting access to free housing.

The medical condition that I have means I am better off in a warmer climate. I can only work maybe 4 hours a day and nothing stressful or hard. I can do PT teaching for sure but age 61 no-one wants you as considered past it. The low paying Thai government schools might be possible.

I think Thailand or Cambodia interest me. My biggest fear (keep your nasty replies to yourselves!) is loneliness. I am sure that I can live a simple life and survive in either and head to the UK to get free hospital treatment if I need it.

Getting over the line with a retirement visa (ideally multi entry) is important as it means it's cheaper and easier over the year. I heard agents can do this for me @ 20-25k THB, might have to do this.

Mate, if your biggest fear is loneliness, why wouldn't you want to stay in the Philippines where you'll find hundreds of girls who genuinely want to be with you.

Am guessing you're in AC at the moment, pack your sh1t up and get to Davao, 1 month there & you'll be looking at Thailand as the holiday destination it is.

Yes in AC. Apartments here are expensive, a decent 1 bed furnished to Western standard is P20k or more. Decent food also expensive here + electric costs are really high compared to Thailand. I am not into the bar scene here, I very rarely drink alcohol. A bottle of water in a bar is often P100+ which is ridiculous.  

I have a gf but would enjoy a little variety sometimes. 

I don't know Davao (travelled to Leyte, Samar, Cebu, Manila, and Iloilo only. Why is Davao so good?

For me the girls (quite cheap compared to Thailand + more loving/caring) are the main plus here in the Philippines. The cost of living compared to Pattaya is much higher here.  

Yes in AC. Apartments here are expensive, a decent 1 bed furnished to Western standard is P20k or more. Decent food also expensive here + electric costs are really high compared to Thailand. I am not into the bar scene here, I very rarely drink alcohol. A bottle of water in a bar is often P100+ which is ridiculous.  
I have a gf but would enjoy a little variety sometimes. 
I don't know Davao (travelled to Leyte, Samar, Cebu, Manila, and Iloilo only. Why is Davao so good?
For me the girls (quite cheap compared to Thailand + more loving/caring) are the main plus here in the Philippines. The cost of living compared to Pattaya is much higher here.  

Living in AC is like living in London in the U.K., i.e. Much more expensive than the rest of the country.

I rent a very nice studio condo for my Filipina for 10k per month including bills (it includes wifi but it's so poor I pay another 1,000 for a decent service) & I'm overpaying at that but her safety is my #1 concern (it's in an all ladies apartment complex), if I was living there we'd probably get something around the 8k mark.

On 22/07/2017 at 7:04 PM, johnfb43 said:

OMG

I presume your mum lives in England where these rules apply. Have just returned from holiday in Wales and all medical treatment was free for up to 2 months. Only had to sign a form saying who I was staying with.

Useful info, yes she is in the UK.

On 7/22/2017 at 5:56 PM, johnfb43 said:

I.............................

Getting over the line with a retirement Visa (ideally multi entry) is important as it means it's cheaper and easier over the year. I heard agents can do this for me @ 20-25k THB, might have to do this.

You will hear various prices but it depends on your circumstances.

Someone posted that an agent in Soi Post Office did his for 13k, but realistically assume a base price of 15k.
That is assuming that you are already at O visa status and just need the 800k in/out overnight dodge.
If not, add 2-3k for conversion from VW or TV (costs 1900 DIY) but remember that gives you an extra 3 months plus the 12 month extension.
If you want the Multi Re-entry Permit add another 4-5k (costs 3800 DIY).
Then you might have specific individual circumstances which cost extra.
I'm assuming that your Passport is in good order and reasonably long life.

You should be able to get the full package for 20k, but up to 25k  is charged by some agents and in some circumstances.

I am in the Philippines. I left Thailand in Feb 2017 (Between very end of 2015-start of 2017) I mainly stayed in Pattaya on tourist visas, both 30 day (came and went many times by air) and 2/3 month (after my Laos border run on 1/2 occasions).

Passport has many pages. I guess that I could apply for 'O' status at Thai Embassy in Manila? Or is it better to land in Thailand by air on tourist visa (30 day) and then go to Immigration in Jomtien after 15 days or so?

43 minutes ago, johnfb43 said:

I am in the Philippines. I left Thailand in Feb 2017 (Between very end of 2015-start of 2017) I mainly stayed in Pattaya on tourist Visas, both 30 day (came and went many times by air) and 2/3 month (after my Laos border run on 1/2 occasions).

Passport has many pages. I guess that I could apply for 'O' status at Thai Embassy in Manila? Or is it better to land in Thailand by air on tourist Visa (30 day) and then go to Immigration in Jomtien after 15 days or so?

I don't know for sure, but I doubt you'll get an O Visa in Manilla/PI, so you either come in on Visa Waiver or a SETV, you can extend both by 30 days (in theory anyway) giving you 60 or 90 days in total.
Your extensive border hopping stamps in your Passport might give you problems entering or extending with VW though and in the current climate I'd recommend a SETV (landing by air does not give you a Visa, the 30 days is a Visa Waiver stamp only).
Once on the ground, if you're prepared to spend 20k you should be able to get it converted (3mths) and extended (12mths).
I PM'd you one agent's details but there are lots.

Archived