IGNORED

Naando's Indian Restaurant on 3rd Road

Evil Penevil

6 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

I'm not really interested in the business soap opera thing with Retox.

Sometimes the soap operas are better value than the food..............

................but yes, I'd missed that the furniture was roaming back and forth.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Petesie said:

We went to Bite Me on the recommendation of a friend who's a restauranteur; we were disappointed to the extent that neither of us could eat the meal.

I thought something was off when the chef (Ian?) did the rounds of the tables and didn't come near ours.

I will try Naando's though, hope I'm pleasantly surprised. :)

Ewan is a very talented chef and now has a  BBQ place at the Jomtien Bungee Jump. I think he was the original chef at Bite Me but they had others since him. So who knows if your chef that one time was Ewan.

You know, this is Pattaya. Not many perfect restaurants here, if any. If you didn't like a place one time at a place that attracted many loyal regulars, perhaps you were just unlucky. 

As far as the new Bite type of place that's coming. It has a history but after all this time it will be a new restaurant. Keeping an open mind about it.  Might love it. Might hate it. 

The old Bite Me tables being the ones with maps on?

Why is Indian food in Pattaya often/usually more expensive than Thai food?  Perhaps naive of me but aren't the ingredients much the same, and it's not as if there's any shortage of Indian restaurant staff?  The B100 plain rice in Naandos seems just silly - surely no-one ever orders that.

IMO the problem of Bite Me was that the Specials were priced at too low a margin - little more than break even - and it proved too difficult to wean customers off the Specials and onto the normal price menu.  Some customers (writing here) even thought that the main bread and butter business of Bite Me was the B250ish Specials, and they were never aware of or looked at the normal price menu.  The solution should have been to reduce Specials to only one per day, that kind of looked tempting but somehow wasn't exactly what customers wanted, so that customers would be seduced in by the idea of the Special (just the one possibility) and end up eating from the normal menu.

1 hour ago, SirL said:

The old Bite Me tables being the ones with maps on?

Why is Indian food in Pattaya often/usually more expensive than Thai food?  Perhaps naive of me but aren't the ingredients much the same, and it's not as if there's any shortage of Indian restaurant staff?  The B100 plain rice in Naandos seems just silly - surely no-one ever orders that.

Yes the same maps.

As I said before, I do think they could help themselves by having a closer look at their pricing on some items. The rice price does stand out. Even basic water is 35.

The set idea is really good but just today is another offer that includes two onion bhajis and two samosas. How many people really want to eat two bhajis and two samosas with every Indian meal?  I think they're just throwing in all that food to justify a higher price for the set. That's fine but I think more choice in customizing the sets would be good for customers.

Like being able to trade out for raita and some other choices such as a naan upgrade for their standard bhaji and samosa offering. 

I'm not British but I do feel this place is going for the British curry house market. My guess is that it probably has the best food in town for that market. Not the cheapest, but the best. 

On 6/26/2017 at 2:52 AM, Kreggerz said:

........the business soap opera thing with Retox.

Caught up now....so Retox out and PG Tips back in....with another Euro chef presumably.

Now Retox back peddling on Robin Hood as well....

I really don't know if the new chef for Bite 2.0 is going to be a European. Could be a Thai that worked there before. I don't think it matters if the person can do the job. It won't be Ewan so it won't be at that level. 

Naandos menu is going to be in all the Retox locations so you can have it delivered there.

Their normal delivery charge is free within Central Pattaya but 50 baht for the daily specials.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok lot of conjecture above about Bite lol. Anyway Ewan left back in April 2016, so a lot of the goodwill was built up by Thai chefs over the next 8 months. But this is the Naando's thread so sticking to that, in answer to the rice price issue hope that's sorted now - big cuts on all rice sides pricing. 

Today up until Friday midnight, Naando's specials, for veggies and meat eaters

299฿ veggies choice

Paalak Paneer with steamed rice, 2 onion bhajis, 2 vegetable samosas and 2 chappatis

(Cottage cheese chunks in a thick paste made from pureed spinach and seasoned with garlic, garam masala, and other spices, a Punjabi speciality)

And the meat eaters 299฿ choice

Chicken Tikka Masala with butter naan, 2 chicken samosas, pilao rice

(Chunks of tandoor-roasted marinated chicken - chicken tikka - in a spiced curry sauce mixed with yoghurt and cream)

FB_IMG_1501211157289.jpg

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

Bet that was a challenge-getting 2 Thai birds to smile while holding Indian food.!!!!!

3 hours ago, BiteMeBistro said:

But this is the Naando's thread so sticking to that, in answer to the rice price issue hope that's sorted now - big cuts on all rice sides pricing. 

Good news that your responded to complaints on some of the prices at Naandos. 100 for rice was ridiculous. It think it would also be welcome to lower the prices on drinking water / soda water as well. The same high pricing on those for Bite and Naandos, right?, and raised from the old Bite Me. 

I know it's a good profit center but customers not feeling ripped off has it's benefits as well. 

8 hours ago, BiteMeBistro said:

(Chunks of tandoor-roasted marinated chicken - chicken tikka - in a spiced curry sauce mixed with yoghurt and Cream)

Am I right in thinking that your place cooked the Wednesday special that was served at the various Retox outlets this month? If so, I thought it was tasty and good value.

On 28/07/2017 at 10:08 PM, KittenKong said:

Am I right in thinking that your place cooked the Wednesday special that was served at the various Retox outlets this month? If so, I thought it was tasty and good value.

Yes the chicken tikka masala special was cooked at Naando's, glad you enjoyed it

Thailand Wine And Dine - unbiased food reviews around town ... Pollution Watch Thailand - daily air quality readings, news and info, Pattaya

11 hours ago, BiteMeBistro said:

Yes the chicken tikka masala special was cooked at Naando's, glad you enjoyed it

Had it at the old "coins" on wednesday, bladdy excellent,hopefully it will be repeated on  regular basis :Cross_Fingers:

Ordered take away here last trip, made me feel off but I think it's just because I eat too much.

I had the Lamb samosa, bit greasy.

Chicken Tikka half, very good chicken

Chicken tikka masala, just okay. I'm not British so first time I've tried this dish, not really my style.

Lamb biryani, wasn't a fan, took two bites and chucked it.

A few naans and the paratha, good taste in all of them.

New 299 baht specials Tuesday at Naando's

- Chicken Biriani - pieces of chicken cooked in yoghurt and Indian spices, added to spicy rice

- Chicken Rogan Josh - an off the menu special, a Kashmiri dish (Josh means 'heat', Rogan means 'red) - tender chicken pieces cooked with red chillies and tomatoes

Both served with garlic naan, two onion bhajis, two poppadoms with chutney, two vegetable samosas.

received_1424428217670255.jpeg

received_1424428207670256.jpeg

received_1424428197670257.jpeg

20170801_065422.jpg

received_1424428224336921.jpeg

20170801_065216.jpg

Get stuck in to Wednesday's two Naandos specials! Served from 1.00pm until midnight or delivered central Pattaya for 50฿ (100฿ outside areas)

Mutter Paneer 320฿
Chicken Methi Malai Mutter 390฿

Both served with Garlic Naan, Jeera Rice and 2 Vegetable Samosas (with Mint Yoghurt), 2 Poppadoms with chutney to start.

What do you get for your money? Top quality, the best flavours, and tons to eat.

What are these dishes?

Mutter Paneer - a curry with mutter (green peas), paneer (cottage cheese), Indian spices.

Chicken Methi Malai Mutter - chunks of chicken in a thick, mild and sweet curry, fused with cream and fenugreek, resulting in a Korma style curry...

Enjoy!

received_1424428214336922.jpeg

received_1424428211003589.jpeg

received_1424428227670254.jpeg

FB_IMG_1501642009414.jpg

FB_IMG_1501642019418.jpg

FB_IMG_1501642021950.jpg

FB_IMG_1501642014417.jpg

Hey Evil if you haven't already do a review on the Indian restaurant called Zaika pink building on second road.
Absolutely love this place, been going there for the last 3 years, loooove the lamb (mutton) jalfrezi and madras....
Man I wish I was there now mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
f43884811471dda028895a2af34ed542.jpg

I sort of made this suggestion before, but I'll try once more again. 

I know I'm only one person but Naandos has totally lost my business.

I can see that Naandos seems to be targeting the British curry house set, but many people who love Indian food are not that. Their curries are good but lots of local places have good curries. 

A la carte menu is there yes, but with prices still high for rice and soft drinks, there are better values for similar or better Indian food around. Yes, I noticed basic rice was lowered from 100, to 80. Big whoop. 

The specials are mostly really big feasts with a ridiculous amount of food. That's fine when you want it, but I tried their sets a few times and I don't want it anymore.

Like I said before, I didn't think the samosas were at all special, but the onion bhajis were good but having a curry, papadums w/ Mint chutney,  a buttered nan, sometimes a rice dish as well, two samoasas and two bhajis is an obscene amount of fried food to do very often. 

So with that buildup, here is my suggestion.

Have two levels of specials.

The feast level which is already there most days and also another level consisting of:

The curry choice(s) of the day (same daily curries as for the feasts)

One plain naan OR plain basmati rice

A raita (not the Mint chutney with the papadams, an actual bowl of raita)

A soft drink (soda or water)

Could do an add on price for beer. 

I mention the including soft drink because the regular prices for water and soda remain way too high.

Obviously the lighter set would be priced considerably lower than the feast options as much less food. 

I won't bother with this suggestion again. I think the lighter version would sell OK with regulars even though the feast set is probably better for tourists. Because trying the feast is fun to do at least one time. But every time? 

I totally understand there is no reason for any restaurant to stress about losing one customer. I made the suggestion with the feeling that offering the lighter set w/ included drink option would increase business overall. 

People reading -- please comment on my suggestion for lighter level specials. Whether you think it's a good idea and you would welcome that option or whether you think the idea is full of sheit. 

I expect the usual heckling saying this is none of my business, and if I don't like it I should start my own restaurant. Go ahead. Do your worst. It's just noise to me. 

All suggestions gratefully received Kreggerz and why not, a lighter version makes sense.

On cost the plain and pilao rices are down - and other than plain rice, genuine basmati rice is used, not coloured Thai rice as some do to save money. We don't stint on ingredients. Or quantity, as you noted.

The price of one rice dish has nearly halved, in fact.

Perhaps we should look at portion size as well, but always hard to find a happy medium.

Anyway all worth thinking about for sure, and thanks again. Like the idea of a 'light special'.

On 7/28/2017 at 7:21 AM, BiteMeBistro said:

Ok lot of conjecture above about Bite lol. Anyway Ewan left back in April 2016, so a lot of the goodwill was built up by Thai chefs over the next 8 months. But this is the Naando's thread so sticking to that, in answer to the rice price issue hope that's sorted now - big cuts on all rice sides pricing. 

Please post your menu with the revised prices here because 100 baht for rice was ridiculous as you now accept but I'm sure we would like to see what it is now along with all your other sides and dishes.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, BiteMeBistro said:

All suggestions gratefully received Kreggerz and why not, a lighter version makes sense.

On cost the plain and pilao rices are down - and other than plain rice, genuine basmati rice is used, not coloured Thai rice as some do to save money. We don't stint on ingredients. Or quantity, as you noted.

The price of one rice dish has nearly halved, in fact.

Perhaps we should look at portion size as well, but always hard to find a happy medium.

Anyway all worth thinking about for sure, and thanks again. Like the idea of a 'light special'.

Thanks for considering this. 

I only noticed the basic basmati rice went from 100 to 80.

On portions, I wouldn't mess with the curry portions. They're fine. Not too big or small.

If you do try a light special similar to my suggestion, I suppose you could have a somewhat smaller portion for a bowl or raita off the regular menu.  Not a tiny dish though as for the Mint chutney. I don't know because I haven't seen that portion. Also the basic rice. It depends on the size of the regular menu portion. 

Whatever you do, customers will notice and if a light set ends up being too light for the price, that wouldn't be so great either. 

Thursday choice of specials - chicken, fish or lamb korma served with 2 chicken samosas, 2 onion bhajis, garlic naan and pilao rice.

But if you need to feel a bit more heat, swap the korma for a chicken ginger curry, spicy as you can stand!

319฿ either special with all the trimmings for the best authentic Indian cooking in town!

(Main menu dishes delivered free central Pattaya. Specials can be delivered but for 50฿ in town, 100฿ other areas)

FB_IMG_1501718181517.jpg

FB_IMG_1501718184778.jpg

FB_IMG_1501718187572.jpg

FB_IMG_1501718190401.jpg

FB_IMG_1501718193315.jpg

FB_IMG_1501718196528.jpg

If I understand Kreggerz properly, he's just suggesting subtracting the samosas, bhajis and papadums from the current special and rejigging things a little, which I'd guess doesn't reduce the cost of production an awful lot.  Having two sizes of meal offered might well end up confusing customers, leading either the big eaters or the small eaters to being disappointed.  The two different sizes of meal would need to be indicated on the menu with some suitable description.

7 hours ago, SirL said:

If I understand Kreggerz properly, he's just suggesting subtracting the samosas, bhajis and papadums from the current special and rejigging things a little, which I'd guess doesn't reduce the cost of production an awful lot.  Having two sizes of meal offered might well end up confusing customers, leading either the big eaters or the small eaters to being disappointed.  The two different sizes of meal would need to be indicated on the menu with some suitable description.

Yes, what I'm suggesting isn't that complicated.

The two levels of specials could be listed separately. I don't know why that would be confusing. I wouldn't call either meal heavy, feast, or light. Just saying what's included tells the story.  The light option I suggested was only light relative to the shitload of food like lots of fried foods (and often a rice and a bread) that you now get with the standard specials.

To repeat, basically it would be offering the exact same curry choices of the day as the now standard specials. Same portion size as the menu or regular specials. 

plus one serving of a basic starch, either plain basmati rice or plain naan

plus at least a moderate (doesn't have to be a full a la carte menu portion) of raita (I think a yogurt raita would be a a healthier substitute to fried samosas/bhajis

plus soft drink / water included

I'm not suggesting a diet meal in any way. A full portion with curry, rice or naan, plus yogurt raita would be enough food for any normal appetite. 

It's not really about portion size changes but rather about which foods you get,  and I think the idea of reducing the curry size is really bad and definitely nothing to do with my suggestion. It's only about having only one starch, not two, and having a yogurt raita instead of usually two different portions of fried sides. 

Here's an example to spell it out:

Choice One (higher price)

Lamb Vindaloo 

2 papadum w/ Mint sauce

2 bhajis

2 samosas

Garlic naan

Pilau Rice

____

Choice Two (lower price)

Lamb Vindaloo

Choice of plain basmati rice or plain naan

Raita

Soft drink or water included

The 189฿ Skinny Indian

Naan better than Naando's for listening to our customers! Today we're doing a Skinny Indian Special as well as the usual blow-outs. Medium-sized portions of either of today's two main special mains, served with a plate of pilao or steamed rice you can actually finish, as well as a drink.

299฿ Friday veggies choice

Paalak Paneer with steamed rice, 2 onion bhajis, 2 vegetable samosas and 2 chappatis

(Cottage cheese chunks in a thick paste made from pureed spinach and seasoned with garlic, garam masala, and other spices, a Punjabi speciality)

And the meat eaters 299฿ choice

(Chunks of tandoor-roasted marinated chicken - chicken tikka - in a spiced curry sauce mixed with yoghurt and cream)

FB_IMG_1501813043871.jpg

Archived