IGNORED

31 or 32 day visa in Thailand for a US Visitor

doug

2 minutes ago, weblo said:

There is absolutely no risk, the OP has a return ticket, the airline does not know if he is leaving Thailand or what his travel plans are. 

He can leave the country and automatically get another 30 days.

no risk.

One of the requirements of the visa waiver is that you must have an exit ticket within 30 days of arriving. If an airline carries you to Thailand and you are refused entry due to not fitting the visa requirements the airline is responsible for removing you. I believe that the chances of immigration refusing you entry in the above circumstances is very small (almost non-existent) the chance of an airline refusing boarding is a little higher. What he may do during the stay is irrelevant as it is what the passenger has at hand at check in that is important.

Can my airline stop me from boarding if I haven’t got a visa for Thailand?

'Much depends on the individual airline and different carriers have different policies, but if your airline realizes that you don’t meet Thai visa requirements they have the authority to prevent you from boarding. In fact, most of the potential problems occur at the point of departure rather than at Thai immigration.'

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Again, if he says he is leaving the country before his 30 days then there will not be a problem.

I did have china eastern enquire about my visa on a 4 month stay, I did have a triple entry tourist visa.

so I can see your point scumbag.

13 minutes ago, weblo said:

Again, if he says he is leaving the country before his 30 days then there will not be a problem.

I did have china eastern enquire about my Visa on a 4 month stay, I did have a triple entry tourist Visa.

Think it depends on the airlines. I have read some people have problems while others don't have any issues. I have been asked to present an exit ticket within 30 days or show them my visa prior to be allowed on the plane in Brisbane by Singapore Airlines, QANTAS and Thai Air.

17 minutes ago, weblo said:

I did have china eastern enquire about my Visa on a 4 month stay, I did have a triple entry tourist Visa.

I have been asked twice to show my visa and that is why I believe that there is a risk.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Doug, if you arrive at 9.35pm on Oct 20 and leave on Nov 20 that is a total of 32 days. Oct 20 is counted as one full day, there are 31 days in October   so 31st  is your 12th day, plus another 20 days to Nov 20th, which is also counted. 

On 6/13/2017 at 9:14 AM, biggles said:

Doug, if you arrive at 9.35pm on Oct 20 and leave on Nov 20 that is a total of 32 days. Oct 20 is counted as one full day, there are 31 days in October   so 31st  is your 12th day, plus another 20 days to Nov 20th, which is also counted. 

You are absolutely right!  I didn't realize that.

On 6/13/2017 at 8:57 AM, Scumbag said:

I have been asked twice to show my Visa and that is why I believe that there is a risk.

at the check in desk for the outward leg to LOS............same here a couple of times

• 2 weeks later...

I believe I figured out a solution to my issue.  The issue again was that Airline carriers in the US may deny boarding from the US of any passenger that does not have a valid Visa or visa exemption for the entire stay of the trip.  If an airline was to allow someone to travel without a proper passport they could be fined by the destination country and be responsible to pay for a return flight for that passenger.  The return flight to thee US will be not problem.

The Thai consulate in America said don't worry about Thailand other than a possible overstay fee of 500 baht per day.  Or I could do a 2-week Visa-exempt extension for 1900 baht while in Thailand.

I spoke with the airline and they found details about the Visa exempt extension and they put notes on my flights saying that my 32 day stay would be fine with the 30 + extension.  There could have easily been a problem with my airline denying me travel to Thailand had I not had them look this up and put notes on my account about this.  So I can now relax as I have this sorted out.  I would encourage anyone else overstaying their 30 day exemption to work out the details as I did prior to trying to fly out.  I hope this thread helps someone else out.

I flew from the UK with Emirates and at the check in desk the Woman query my flight because I was returning 31 days later but she corrected herself as I was arriving the next day so I was only 30 days. They do check.

I just left on day 31 on visa exemption, check in at Sydney didn't really look at my return ticket too closely,  they just glanced to confirm I had a ticket,  no issue on arrival at Bangkok. 

Exiting I did however score a sweet little black stamp with a 24 on it... I'm assuming this is an overstay of 24 hours stamp. 

I'm thinking I may just do the Jomtien extension for 1900 baht. It will make me feel better when driving the 31st day there.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Thai Airways refused to let me leave Thailand my last trip, I didn't have a ticket confirmation leaving Dubai, which was my next stop from BKK. 

10th trip and never had an issue before. I argued with the manager for 3 hours until the plane left without me. 

Prior to your trip, it is easiest is to buy the cheapest AirAsia ticket to fly out of the country on day 25 after you arrive or so.  Or, buy a refundable Thai ticket. Present that to gate agent in US, once you are in Thailand, cancel (or no show on AirAsia) and go to immigration to extend. Don't overstay even one day as it is a pain. 

Archived