IGNORED

31 or 32 day visa in Thailand for a US Visitor

doug

I know I get a 30 day visa without applying for one as a US citizen when I arrive in Thailand, but if I wanted to stay a day or two longer what is the best course of action?

Should or can I just pay a fee at departure?  Should I apply for a 60 day visa and how much is that usually?  I do ride a motorbike in Thailand and I do not want to end up in trouble if they stop me on my 31st day.  I've always wondered as I am looking at flights and some of the best deals are just past the 30 day stay window.  What are your thoughts? 

I think your best option is to get a visa before you leave home. Your holiday should then be hassle free.

Incidentally what you call a '30 day visa' is not a visa. It is only permission to stay for 30 days.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

It does make things so much easier if you get a visa before you leave your own country if you plan to stay more then the thirty days.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Thank you for your Insight

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Just don't get caught in the last couple days and pay 1000 baht at the airport.

2 hours ago, Magic040 said:

Just don't get caught in the last couple days and pay 1000 baht at the airport.

It is a risk and the other risk is that the airline will not let you board on the outward flight. The risk is small but it does exist.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

I ended up with my flights meaning I'm in Thailand for 31 days in my upcoming trip.  (Remember, day of arrival & day of departure both count in total).

Rather than take the small risk of not being allowed on plane, and risk of small fine on departure from Thailand, I've got a Tourist Visa from my nearest Thai Consulate. It cost £35 and took 10 minutes.

Chances are I'd have had no problems but just don't want to take an unnecessary risk - especially with Thai Authorities being somewhat unpredictable at the moment.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2017 at 4:10 PM, doug said:

... Should I apply for a 60 day visa and how much is that usually?  ... What are your thoughts? 

I have been getting a 60-day single entry VISA for the past 4 years.  Below is the cost and other requirements for a Tourist Visa Category “TR” Single Entry VISA from the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington DC.  Also, depending on your flight arrival time or departure time, I have exceeded the 30 or 60 day stay based on when I pass thru Thai immigrations without problems.

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/tourist-visas/category-tr/

$40 US Visa Processing Fee:
Payable in money order (only) made payable to “Royal Thai Embassy”.
NO CASH, NO PERSONAL and BUSINESS CHECKS ACCEPTED

$23.75 US Return USPS Express Mail Postage by mail

Application must include self-addressed return envelope only by these following mail service  USPS (US Postal Service) Express Mail ‘  use only flat rate mailing envelope with $23.75 postage stamp (Metered stamps will not be accepted)

Documents Required:

1.      Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 6 months and contain at least ONE completely empty visa page).

2.      One original visa application form completely filled out (black and blue ink only)  (Download)

3.      Two passport-size photographs (2″x2″) (photocopy or photo taken from Photostat will not be accepted).

4.      A copy of flight confirmation/reservation showing going from US to Thailand and leaving from Thailand (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly)

5.      A copy of recent bank statement ($700 per person and $1,500 per family) (The name of the applicant must indicated clearly) ,

Period of stay:  not exceeding 60 days

*** Warning of overstay ***
Validity of a visa: The Validity of a visa is 3 months.

***A visa becomes effective from the date of issuance. Do not apply for the visa too early. If you apply too early the visa may expire before your trip and you will have to re-apply. The fee is not refundable***

Just go to Bangkok to get an extension on your stay from the Embassy. I think its about 1k for an extra 7 days. Dont quote me on that. But I read that you can do it this way. 

28 minutes ago, Brianrich1 said:

Just go to Bangkok to get an extension on your stay from the Embassy. I think its about 1k for an extra 7 days. Dont quote me on that. But I read that you can do it this way. 

You can extend the 30-day Visa Exempt entry for a further 30 days at Jomtien Immigration for 1900 baht BUT the airline may still refuse to let you travel if your return flight is more than 30 days after arrival.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

4 hours ago, davidge said:

You can extend the 30-day Visa Exempt entry for a further 30 days at Jomtien Immigration for 1900 baht BUT the airline may still refuse to let you travel if your return flight is more than 30 days after arrival.

Thats interesting. So what would be your options for returning home if the airline refuses you ?

On 2017-5-18 at 4:10 PM, doug said:

I know I get a 30 day visa without applying for one as a US citizen when I arrive in Thailand, but if I wanted to stay a day or two longer what is the best course of action?

Should or can I just pay a fee at departure?  Should I apply for a 60 day visa and how much is that usually?  I do ride a motorbike in Thailand and I do not want to end up in trouble if they stop me on my 31st day.  I've always wondered as I am looking at flights and some of the best deals are just past the 30 day stay window.  What are your thoughts? 

You don't get a visa at all. You get an exemption to the requirement for 30 days. 

You can extend for about $60 at the immigration office in Pattaya done before you run out of time of course and with proof you will be leaving before the extension runs out.

Note if you try to board on your 32 day flight the airline has the right and may ask for proof of a visa and not allow you to board at all. 

I can't see someone going through all or any of this for 1 or 2 days more, especially one day. 

34 minutes ago, Brianrich1 said:

Thats interesting. So what would be your options for returning home if the airline refuses you ?

It is leaving home where the risk exists. It is a risk because if the carrier allows you to board and you are refused entry they are responsible for removing you and may be fined for not having a valid visa for the trip. It is a small risk but I have been asked a couple of times if I had a visa as I was going to Thailand on the return leg so they could not see how I was going to leave.

I am thinking of taking a flight that lands at 11:30pm in BKK and then possibly waiting till after midnight to go through immigration but if the plane lands early it could be an issue.   The flights are significantly cheaper if I go for 31 days.  I could also make a trip to Cambodia which I have been wanting to do while I am in Thailand, but I am not 100% sure that will work.  I don't remember but does immigration look at your departure flight and if it is more than 30 days out when you arrive?  Thank you for all the helpful advice.  The Jomtien extension for 1900 baht sounds like my best option if I am reading everything correctly.  I could end up staying for 35 days because 31 or 35 day flights are the same price at this point.

I was one day over and they told me no problem, but you may have trouble in your hotel if your stay doesn't match with the dates on your visa.

18 hours ago, doug said:

I am thinking of taking a flight that lands at 11:30pm in BKK and then possibly waiting till after midnight to go through immigration but if the plane lands early it could be an issue.   The flights are significantly cheaper if I go for 31 days....  I don't remember but does immigration look at your departure flight and if it is more than 30 days out when you arrive? ...

I did this in 2015 and 2016 with my flights landing at 11:00PM at BKK on day1, then I waited +1hr and passed thru immigrations at 0:15AM on day2.  Both times, my passport was stamped admitted to Thailand on day2, and admit until day61.  I also did this when I exited in 2015 with my flight departing at 01:35AM on day62, but I passed thru immigrations on day61 at 10:30PM.  My passport was stamped departed on day61.  I had no problems or questions with my 60-day VISA.  This year I found a flight arriving at BKK at 0:15AM, so I don’t have to do this.

Upon arrival, immigrations never looked or questioned me on when my flight departed.  When I departed in 2015, immigrations did not check whether my flight left on day61 or day62 and they just stamped my passport departed day61.

I booked my flight and I will arrive October 20th at 9:35pm
I depart November 20th at 3:30am

This would be exactly 31 days in Thailand.  This was about $400 cheaper and to book it for 31 days instead of 30.  What is the cost for a US citizen to get a proper visa for travel before my flight and how soon can I request it.    Also one leg of my flight is from BKK to HKG on Hong Kong Airlines, is that a decent airline to fly.  I am flying economy.

Thanks again,
   Doug

As stated above a Thai Visa would be at least $70.
  -$40 (visa) $6-10 (mailing to them) and $24 (return envelope with required postage).

I just spoke with the Thai Consulate in Washington DC.  The woman on the phone suggested that I should just pay the 500 baht overstay fee for the one day.  She also suggested I contact the airline that I will be taking into Thailand to make sure I would be allowed to get there.   I called United as that is the departure flight and they said they didn't think it would be a problem, but I will go to the counter at the airport locally and check with them at the counter and get the supervisors name if he said it should be alright.  I am still debating what to do in my head.

On 6/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, Brianrich1 said:

I think he meant that they would not let you fly to Thailand in the first place, if your round trip stay is 31 days and you don't have a visa to cover 31 days.

Some good info posted here, probably best to follow the official path joeaf put out. 

I just encountered the exact situation, was leaving on my 31st full day in country.  (Note, I do not live anywhere near an embassy to preset and obtain 60 day or other visa).  Spoke to a few well informed guys, they said I can go to Jomtien and get an additional 1 week visa for 35oo baht, or just take my chances paying fee at airport.  They could not guarantee, but strongly hinted that the Gov't is looking for major abusers and offenders on multiple occasion.  1 trip at 31 days and all others in prior passport pages not in violation of year/visit laws, should not have a problem.  I took my chances, the worst that could happen would be to pay 500 baht at the counter right behind migration.  That did not even happen, it was not called to attention and I went on my way as normal.  I too want to keep my record clean and not get banned from future visitation and IMO 1-2 day is simply a 500-1000 baht fine on way out-be polite, pay it, move on.  If you plan on doing it more often, or violate other ends of the visits per year/total time spent on tourist visa-that I advise against. 

On 6/5/2017 at 9:02 PM, doug said:

I booked my flight and I will arrive October 20th at 9:35pm...

8 hours ago, doug said:

...I am still debating what to do in my head.

Another option as I mentioned is waiting +2.5 hrs after landing on day1 (20Oct) at 9:35pm, then passing thru immigrations on day2 (21Oct) at 12:15am.  It’s a chance but if they do not check your flight arrival time, you will solve your problem because they will stamp your passport entered Thailand on day2, admit until day31.  If you decide to try this option, bring something to do to pass 2.5 hrs because there is nothing (bars, restaurants) on the arrivals side of BKK before immigrations.  I have delayed my arrival by +1 hr on 2 trips when arriving at 11:00pm and gotten my passport stamped arrived on day2, but you will be delaying by +2.5hrs.

If this option fails, then you can still can pay the 500 baht overstay fee (if not waived) or go to Jomtien and pay for an extension.  But as George810 said, he took his chances and exited Thailand on day31 and “it was not called to attention and I went on my way as normal.”

It seemed that the Thai person at the embassy was not concerned over my overstay of one day.  She did say that the Airline has a responsibility to not allow people to come to Thailand without a proper visa if it is over 30 days or they (the airlines) could be fined.  She said I should mostly be concerned at my departure airport in the US as that is the place where they may deny me boarding if they closely inspect my dates of travel and they could deny me from boarding the plane in October.   This is probably my biggest concern of my travel plans.  I would gladly pay the 500 baht at departure if that was the only issue.

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:59 AM, doug said:

It seemed that the Thai person at the embassy was not concerned over my overstay of one day.  She did say that the Airline has a responsibility to not allow people to come to Thailand without a proper visa if it is over 30 days or they (the airlines) could be fined.  She said I should mostly be concerned at my departure airport in the US as that is the place where they may deny me boarding if they closely inspect my dates of travel and they could deny me from boarding the plane in October.   This is probably my biggest concern of my travel plans.  I would gladly pay the 500 baht at departure if that was the only issue.

I do not doubt this, but think it is extremely unlikely.  If it does happen, being loaded with information is your best bet.  Tell them you plan on a short excursion to Cambodia which will by default provide a new visas anyway, a trip that one does not generally plan ahead and have tickets for-very unlikely they will challenge you on that as they have no way of knowing your plans (I do NOT recommend , nor ever plan to go back to Cambodia again, but that's another topic)  Or you can tell them about the place in Jomtien and you plan on getting a 7 day extension at this exact location for this price (have location, price, and info on you).  If you look like you know the system and have it planned out, the result will be better.  My opinions only.  If I were encountering it again at 30-33 day mark, would do the same as before and pay on way out.  #7 day mark would be an extension at Jomtien immigration office.  Any longer than that, I simply do not know all those details and will not comment until I gain that knowledge, but as someone with no access to an embassy, would certainly do research and be ready before departing. 

Best of luck

On May 19, 2017 at 3:36 AM, Scumbag said:

It is a risk and the other risk is that the airline will not let you board on the outward flight. The risk is small but it does exist.

There is absolutely no risk, the OP has a return ticket, the airline does not know if he is leaving Thailand or what his travel plans are. 

He can leave the country and automatically get another 30 days.

no risk.

Archived