IGNORED

Is the Thai Marriage visa one year or three months?

psm916

"This visa is available with single entry only, it is no longer possible to be granted a multiple entry visa. If wishing to stay longer it will be necessary to visit a Thai Immigration Office near to where you will be staying and enquire about the procedure for extending your stay. The single entry visa is valid for three months from date of issue and allows a single stay in Thailand of up to 90 days."

This is the information being given on the Thai consulate website in Hull in the UK. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-married.php

Does this mean that even with a Non O marriage visa, it is only valid for six months and then I am out?

My Thai wife has a two year multiple entry visa for the UK? Why are they making it so difficult? It looks like the thai authorities are actively discouraging their citizens from marrying foreigners. It's hardly as if we would be a drain on their welfare state or free health service; because they don't have one.

1 minute ago, psm916 said:

"This visa is available with single entry only, it is no longer possible to be granted a multiple entry visa. If wishing to stay longer it will be necessary to visit a Thai Immigration Office near to where you will be staying and enquire about the procedure for extending your stay. The single entry visa is valid for three months from date of issue and allows a single stay in Thailand of up to 90 days."

This is the information being given on the Thai consulate website in Hull in the UK. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/non-immigrant-visa-cat-o-married.php

Does this mean that even with a Non O marriage visa, it is only valid for six months and then I am out?

My Thai wife has a two year multiple entry visa for the UK? Why are they making it so difficult? It looks like the thai authorities are actively discouraging their citizens from marrying foreigners. It's hardly as if we would be a drain on their welfare state or free health service; because they don't have one.

I was in the Thai Consulate in Cardiff recently, just for a Tourist Visa, and was told they are no longer able to do multiple-entries on Retirement Visas - sounds like it's the same with Marriage.

AFAIK, no problem getting them in Thailand so just get a Tourist Visa then get the longer-stay visa with multiple entry there.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

I get a three month O visa here for free from the Thai Consulate.

I think it might be the same as in Australia. They have restricted which consulates can issue the one year multiple entry visas. I suggest you contact the embassy in London and ask about the one year visa. Each stay will only be 90 days.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

9 hours ago, psm916 said:

You can get a 3 month Non Immigrant "O" Visa and apply for Marriage Extension before it expires. You will need proof that your income is over 40k baht a month, plus all relevant documentation.

After you have arrived in Thailand you can request an extension of stay based on marriage for your Non O. Cost 1900 THB.

The extn of stay is not a visa but will be valid for you to remain in Thailand with your wife for 1 year, you will have to report every 90 days to your local Imm' office to confirm your address in Thailand.

If you wish to leave Thailand during the 1 year extn of stay you will need to obtain a re-entry permit, single or multiple depending on your travel circumstances.

You will copies of your Thai  marriage cert, Kor Ror 2, proof of income over 40k THB a month or 400k in a Thai bank account. Copies of your passport, Thai wifes ID card and house book, photos of you and your wife in and around the house a map showing the route from the house to the Imm' office.

You must produce originals of the marriage cert, KR2 and PofInc.

I like them, as juicy as a freshwater clam!

32 minutes ago, JuicyClamLover said:

After you have arrived in Thailand you can request an extension of stay based on marriage for your Non O. Cost 1900 THB.

The extn of stay is not a visa but will be valid for you to remain in Thailand with your wife for 1 year, you will have to report every 90 days to your local Imm' office to confirm your address in Thailand.

If you wish to leave Thailand during the 1 year extn of stay you will need to obtain a re-entry permit, single or multiple depending on your travel circumstances.

You will copies of your Thai  marriage cert, Kor Ror 2, proof of income over 40k THB a month or 400k in a Thai bank account. Copies of your passport, Thai wifes ID card and house book, photos of you and your wife in and around the house a map showing the route from the house to the Imm' office.

This is all correct but there is also a comment on the forms adding " and any other documents that the immigration officer asks for "  Do not leave the application until the last minute in case they ask for something else that you had not thought of.  In my case they have asked for two things that were not on the list even though I had married visa extensions for several years before.  Both of them delayed the application as they were difficult to sort out, one needed a trip to BKK to the relevant office for paperwork. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

19 minutes ago, udontony said:

This is all correct but there is also a comment on the forms adding " and any other documents that the immigration officer asks for "  Do not leave the application until the last minute in case they ask for something else that you had not thought of.  In my case they have asked for two things that were not on the list even though I had married visa extensions for several years before.  Both of them delayed the application as they were difficult to sort out, one needed a trip to BKK to the relevant office for paperwork. 

What were the two things?  (useful to know for a pal who plans to settle here on a marriage visa in a few months).

Thanks

3 hours ago, kansuwan said:

What were the two things?  (useful to know for a pal who plans to settle here on a marriage visa in a few months).

Thanks

After having married visa extensions for several years they suddenly wanted to see my wife divorce papers from her previous marriage which had ended many years ago.  This was not too bad as she had all the documents at home but it did entail a return journey of over 200K`s just to get them.

The next one was more of a problem, they wanted to see the letter from the British embassy that said I had the right to marry and was not already married!  This paper was deposited with the people that actually married us in Bangkok when we were married.  They always keep this document in their office with all other details about your marriage.  I had to go to BKK to the office where we were married many years before and ask them for a copy of the said document.   They could not believe that immigration would ask for such a thing and had never heard of it before.  Fortunately I took a couple of photos taken in the office when we married, showed them to the lady and she said it was her boss that married us.  He and several other staff appeared and had a chat with me, very sociable and nice.  Then the lady said she would get the document for me, it might take a while to find.  She came back after about five minutes with the paper and several copies, asked if I wanted the original and would I like copies as well.  She kept one copy and gave me the rest, best and most pleasant service I have ever had in any place in Thailand.  Asked how much and she said everything free of charge, happy to help and apologised for the immigration service and their strange request.

Not heard of other people being asked for things like this but then I bet there have been other strange requests by immigration officials as they have the right to ask for virtually anything they want.

No issue here in Perth. Last week I was granted a 12 month non-im O Visa multiple entry based on marriage with three month stays per entry ...ask nicely and They will do it for you

Udon Tony:

Very handy information, thanks.  The couple married overseas quite a few years ago and already plan to get a translated and notarised copy of their wedding certificate.  Bridal divorce papers should be easy for them, if requested - her first round marriage was locally and to a Thai. 

probably 3 months......no reason for more, they average Thai marriage span to a farang...... 555

just kidding

What about after that year visa what the

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, kansuwan said:

Udon Tony:

Very handy information, thanks.  The couple married overseas quite a few years ago and already plan to get a translated and notarised copy of their wedding certificate.  Bridal divorce papers should be easy for them, if requested - her first round marriage was locally and to a Thai. 

Best thing they can do is to get a file and put everything in it to do with any marriage, divorce or anything else remotely connected with their life.  You just do not know what they will ask for so go prepared.  I have translated copies of many things but immigration seem to accept things in English as well as Thai or have I just been lucky with my papers!

A friend of mine got his marriage visa in the U.K. it is good for 1year but he must exit Thailand every three months which is strange. I got mine in Thailand, it is one year and only need to do the 90 day check in

15 hours ago, JuicyClamLover said:

I have to leave Thailand to work in Dubai every four weeks. I am on a four week on and four week off rotation. Will I have to apply for a re-entry permit in Dubai every time I come home?

3 minutes ago, psm916 said:

I have to leave Thailand to work in Dubai every four weeks. I am on a four week on and four week off rotation. Will I have to apply for a re-entry permit in Dubai every time I come home?

Get a multiple re-entry permit once a year.

6 hours ago, B-Man said:

A friend of mine got his marriage visa in the U.K. it is good for 1year but he must exit Thailand every three months which is strange. I got mine in Thailand, it is one year and only need to do the 90 day check in

Presumably he has just got a Non Immigrant " O" whilst you have a Marriage Extension.

17 hours ago, udontony said:

After having married visa extensions for several years they suddenly wanted to see my wife divorce papers from her previous marriage which had ended many years ago.  This was not too bad as she had all the documents at home but it did entail a return journey of over 200K`s just to get them.

The next one was more of a problem, they wanted to see the letter from the British embassy that said I had the right to marry and was not already married!  This paper was deposited with the people that actually married us in Bangkok when we were married.  They always keep this document in their office with all other details about your marriage.  I had to go to BKK to the office where we were married many years before and ask them for a copy of the said document.   They could not believe that immigration would ask for such a thing and had never heard of it before.  Fortunately I took a couple of photos taken in the office when we married, showed them to the lady and she said it was her boss that married us.  He and several other staff appeared and had a chat with me, very sociable and nice.  Then the lady said she would get the document for me, it might take a while to find.  She came back after about five minutes with the paper and several copies, asked if I wanted the original and would I like copies as well.  She kept one copy and gave me the rest, best and most pleasant service I have ever had in any place in Thailand.  Asked how much and she said everything free of charge, happy to help and apologised for the immigration service and their strange request.

Not heard of other people being asked for things like this but then I bet there have been other strange requests by immigration officials as they have the right to ask for virtually anything they want.

Is that the imagration office in Udon Tony ?

1 hour ago, rodo555 said:

Is that the imagration office in Udon Tony ?

Yes it most definitely is.   One good thing, lady that used to cause many of the problems has been noticeably absent the last couple of times I have been there, things seem more rational at the moment, hope it stays that way.

7 hours ago, davidge said:

Get a multiple re-entry permit once a year.

You need to get the re-entry permit before you leave Thailand or else you visa or extension is terminated straight away and you will have to start all over again.

2 hours ago, Insomniac said:

Presumably he has just got a Non Immigrant " O" whilst you have a Marriage Extension.

No he did the full marriage extension

5 hours ago, udontony said:

You need to get the re-entry permit before you leave Thailand or else you visa or extension is terminated straight away and you will have to start all over again.

Yes, sorry, my reply was unclear. As I'd mentioned getting the visa itself in Thailand earlier in the thread, I meant he should get the multi-entry at the same time.

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

5 hours ago, B-Man said:

As far as I am aware Marriage Extension only available in Thailand as has to be ratified by Immigration Bangkok. Have just had said done and was told not possible overseas. Had "O" visa for many years and had to go Cambodia every 3 months. I think he was given incorrect info. Also can only be done in the Province you are living now as Immigration Police can visit your home. Not possible if you are in UK.

On 18/05/2017 at 1:34 PM, udontony said:

Have always said going into any Immigration Office is like going into an Asylum knowing the inmates have taken over the place. Not heard of this in 37 years.

Archived