IGNORED

Rear Facade of the Mike Mall

LarryDarrell

3 minutes ago, WhiteThai said:

Was that the only shopping mall in Pattaya in 1987? 

TBH, I never really considered it a mall as such. Just a big store really. There was nothing else resembling a mall.

The bigger Mike’s was the first, though a bit like a Department Store. I always considered Royal to be the first true mall. Depends on your definition though :-)

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, questor said:

Website suggests 1976: http://www.mikeshoppingmall.com/History.aspx

Pretty sure it's the oldest mall in Pattaya. (And not too sure there was ever a 'Mike').

I had a good friend that lived and worked in Thailand since the '70's, and I'm pretty sure he told me that he met Mike before. I never inquired any further. Mike could be Thai nickname? 

I had a good friend that lived and worked in Thailand since the '70's, and I'm pretty sure he told me that he met Mike before. I never inquired any further. Mike could be Thai nickname? 
Seems possible: 'Mike Group was established in 1976 by the Mekavarakul family'

4 minutes ago, davidge said:

TBH, I never really considered it a mall as such. Just a big store really. There was nothing else resembling a mall.

The bigger Mike’s was the first, though a bit like a Department Store. I always considered Royal to be the first true mall. Depends on your definition though :-)

Exactly! And I think the definition has changed though the years. Nowadays I wouldn't even consider it a shopping mall without a grocery store. Back then it was just clothing.

4 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Basically true, if you look at many buildings you will see rebro sticking above the roof and other strategic places. Therefore technically the building is not finished and certain taxes delayed.

My friend from back in the day in Greece had his house the same way for 20 years to avoid paying taxes as well. 

The owner was a guy named Surat who once stood for the post of Mayor of Pattaya. I used to stay at the Mike hotel which was above the Mike Department Store  (the small one) around 1986 and I got the impression it was fairly new.

The big one opened several years after that.

Miss Mike 1990.

59dc82dabbb9b_MissMike(Custom).thumb.jpg.98f10f15a8e4cab6c08868d002b13ba1.jpg

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

No indication of what will be there? I assume it’s owned by Mike’s so an extension or a stand-alone building of some kind??

Just now, davidge said:

No indication of what will be there? I assume it’s owned by Mike’s so an extension or a stand-alone building of some kind??

i read a post saying condo block including the land next door but i have no knowledge myself. it is certainly not just an access road or they would not be drilling

12 minutes ago, striderman said:

i read a post saying condo block including the land next door but i have no knowledge myself. it is certainly not just an access road or they would not be drilling

Thanks. I seem to remember some empty land but also a couple of hotels & a restaurant? Difficult to see building around them.

3 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

I'm pretty sure Mike passed away many years ago. Isn't Mike's the oldest shopping mall in Pattaya? Anybody know what year it first opened?

3 hours ago, WhiteThai said:

Was that the only shopping mall in Pattaya in 1987? 

7 hours ago, questor said:

Anyone seen Mike? He should know.

Mike is still around,saw him in July ,he keeps the VIP Suite on the top  floor of the Mike hotel above mike shopping PLAZA not mike shopping mall. Not sure when it was built but  certainly over 30 years. And along with the Grand  off WS and Nipper lodge  on pattaya klang are three of the oldest hotels imo.Although the nipper changed it`s name,which escapes me atm.

p.s. He still has his hair dyed.

1 hour ago, brooksie said:

Mike is still around,saw him in July ,he keeps the VIP Suite on the top  floor of the Mike Hotel above mike shopping PLAZA not mike shopping mall. Not sure when it was built but  certainly over 30 years. And along with the Grand  off WS and Nipper lodge  on pattaya klang are three of the oldest hotels imo.Although the nipper changed it`s name,which escapes me atm.

p.s. He still has his hair dyed.

Wow! That's amazing. I knew someone would know. Is Mike, Thai or Farang?

1 hour ago, WhiteThai said:

Wow! That's amazing. I knew someone would know. Is Mike, Thai or Farang?

Thai, smallest bloke always dressed in black.Ran for Mayor of pattaya once many years ago, Farangs are not allowed too.probably in his seventies now ,but doesn`t look it. And yes the shopping plaza near boyztown would have been first  shopping mall 

8 hours ago, Billyboy294 said:

Yes I just realised that scuba must be referring to the bigger Mike Shopping mall and I opened up to ammend my post. It was the fact he mentioned modernisation of the facade in the last year or two that confused me because the facade fronting on to 2nd Road of the smaller shop was also. modernised in the past year or two.

Here are two pics of the new (within the past year or so) facade of the Mike Hotel/ Mike Shopping Plaza .

It lights up at night.

59dcee9365e49_MikeHotel1CC(Custom).thumb.jpg.ffb6c51619fdd28daa25e3be732388f8.jpg

59dcee729d097_MikeHotel3CC(Custom).thumb.jpg.125416ee1e845477958f1b632b485aad.jpg

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

6 hours ago, davidge said:

6 hours ago, striderman said:

One of the owners of the tattoo shops told me it is going to be a hotel. Just have to wait and see I guess.

12 hours ago, striderman said:

on the subject of mike shopping mall the art and tattoo shops down the outside have moved to Tipp plaza and the old ones knocked down

Where is Tipp plaza ?

1 minute ago, stunner said:

Where is Tipp plaza ?

between mike shopping mall and soi 10.

enter either from beach rd or second rd. beach rd end there is a 7/11 and a subway branch.

second rd end is a yellow DHL office

I like the rebar and disarray of Pattaya. 

By keeping the chaos and confusion, it keeps the yuppies and other genteel pretty boys away with their hair gel and designer fashions.

The more Patts gets gentrified and western, the higher prices become and the quality of service dwindles.

3 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

One of the owners of the tattoo shops told me it is going to be a hotel. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Didn’t someone post the pool at Mike’s is closed? Maybe a fairly major renovation of the building.

1 hour ago, davidge said:

Didn’t someone post the pool at Mike’s is closed? Maybe a fairly major renovation of the building.

Mike's website says the pool is closed for remodelling and will be open again in 2018

5 hours ago, davidge said:

4 hours ago, Drewbrogan said:

Mike's website says the pool is closed for remodelling and will be open again in 2018

I missed that. looks like a major renovation on the way?

My first ever trip,I stayed at Diana Inn.

We were late getting into HongKong and missed our connector,and we got all fucked up and landed in Pattaya,evening next day.I crashed and woke up around 6am.My first step outside of the hotel was where Kiss Food is now and I remember like it was yesterday,looking across the road at Mikes and thinking,"WTF are they doing with all that rebar".

I couldn't believe my eyes.I was in the construction biz in Vancouver at the time,and I remember walking down second road,looking around just gob smacked.

I walked past and empty field (what is now The Avenue) and it was piled with garbage.Couldnt believe my eyes.36 hours earlier I was in one of the cleanest city's in the world and the boom......not so much.lol.

Mikes....been like that forever.

6 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

I missed that. looks like a major renovation on the way?

Yes, from what I can gather it’s a major renovation of the mall rather than a new building. 

7 hours ago, Skalliwag said:

My first ever trip,I stayed at Diana Inn.

We were late getting into HongKong and missed our connector,and we got all fucked up and landed in Pattaya,evening next day.I crashed and woke up around 6am.My first step outside of the hotel was where Kiss Food is now and I remember like it was yesterday,looking across the road at Mikes and thinking,"WTF are they doing with all that rebar".

I couldn't believe my eyes.I was in the construction biz in Vancouver at the time,and I remember walking down second road,looking around just gob smacked.

I walked past and empty field (what is now The Avenue) and it was piled with garbage.Couldnt believe my eyes.36 hours earlier I was in one of the cleanest city's in the world and the boom......not so much.lol.

Mikes....been like that forever.

There used to be a beer bar complex on that empty field,was ok for a while knocked it down about `92/3 i`m guessing, Saw my first fall out between bar girls in that complex one night,did not pull their punches either only lasted a minute or so,but everything was used stools bottles shoes ,wooded fencing.

Had a girl out of one called the Yellow river bar,the Thai lady  owner later showed me a hand gun in her bag/purse.......Ah the old days.555

Archived