IGNORED

salad buffet

Sizzlers. Ground floor at Royal Garden Plaza and 6th floor at Central Festival. Just below 200 baht and about 50 'dishes' to choose from. 

You can buy fresh salads and veggies at a salad bar in any shopping mall and mix yourself and take home!

Think it is 20-30 baht per 100gram.

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Villa Mart at the The Avenue have a good fresh salad selection and you can mix and match as you like. Right next to is is a good range of fresh made salad dressings as well. 250 baht per kilo.

8 hours ago, kahoy said:

Villa Mart at the The Avenue have a good fresh salad selection and you can mix and match as you like. Right next to is is a good range of fresh made salad dressings as well. 250 baht per kilo.

Very good, I had used it 2-3 a week for last couple of months

10 hours ago, Tarpon said:

Sizzlers. Ground floor at Royal Garden Plaza and 6th floor at Central Festival. Just below 200 baht and about 50 'dishes' to choose from. 

+1

Sizzlers (lunch) buffet, weekday/10-3pm, buffet is one of Pattaya's best restaurant values.

Fresh veggies, aircon, good service, good price.

Can't beat Sizzler salad bar. As mentioned above Villa has a good one for take home as does Friendship

Chicken rice and noodle soups are quite light, the price is right and super tasty. 

If you get over to Jomtien, you may enjoy the Wooden Box. It's right on the baht bus route. There is a thread on this place.

Even though I really like a good salad bar, I have never gone to Sizzler myself simply because it IS a buffet.  I want to eat light.  I want to eat healthy.  But if I go to a salad bar buffet I will still find a way to screw it up by overeating.  I can't seem to control my appetites.  Thank goodness I'm in Pattaya.

28 minutes ago, LarryDarrell said:

Even though I really like a good salad bar, I have never gone to Sizzler myself simply because it IS a buffet.  I want to eat light.  I want to eat healthy.  But if I go to a salad bar buffet I will still find a way to screw it up by overeating.  I can't seem to control my appetites.  Thank goodness I'm in Pattaya.

You are not exactly going to pile on the kilos if you stick to just the salads and only use the low cal dressings.

How many kilos of salad can one man eat?

larrydarrell

I think you're right about the overeating.
So what do you suggest to eat light?

any Recommendations?

I think you are better off sticking to Thai street food.  Soups , Som tam, larb, namtok,  fish and chicken riced dishes with veggies. Stay away form Pad Thai, sausages, and fried chicken. Portions are small so you won't over eat. Load up on fruit -- its cheap, plentiful and delicious and fresher than at any buffet.    

here is a site that gives some calorie counts for some streetfood favorites : http://www.bkkme.com/things/thai-street-food-without-fat/

Good luck in the Battle of the Bulge. 555

4 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

You can eat as much rabbit food as you wish. Keep away from the rich dressings and the meats and breads. I also like a big fresh salad, has anyone with a western stomach had a problem because the salad was washed in the local water ?  :unsure:

3 hours ago, Pheat said:

You are not exactly going to pile on the kilos if you stick to just the salads and only use the low cal dressings.

How many kilos of salad can one man eat?

I don't know, but if I pay B199 for a salad bar I will eat more than is appropriate for any single human meal regardless of how well I choose the ingredients.  It is simply the way my brain is wired, so I tend to avoid buffets.  I find that eating small meals is better as over time one's stomach gets smaller and you feel more satiated with less food.

3 hours ago, meno said:

larrydarrell

I think you're right about the overeating.
So what do you suggest to eat light?

any Recommendations?

That is a huge, broad topic.  Often I stay at hotels with a breakfast and a challenge for me is making the right choices and not overeating.  If you want to see bad choices, just sit yourself down at a breakfast buffet somewhere and watch people.  I have seen some crazy stuff.  If my breakfast is a buffet, it will definitely be my largest meal of the day, but I'm trying to cut back.  Generally I stick to black coffee, a couple of eggs and a lot of vegetables of whatever kind, followed by some fruit.  No toast, potatoes, rice, noodles or mystery meat.

If I am just hanging around my hotel waiting for the sun to go down I might just eat some fruit from the market and I often eat some oatmeal.  Another strange habit I have is to eat those small cans of sardines or mackerel that are popular here.  I haven't figured out yet if those things are killing me.

Street food can be good but as Uncle-V describes some of it can be full of sugar and fat.  Choose carefully.  I like the papaya salads myself, and will now be trying to get mine made with less sugar.

I'm a fan of Doner in the rolled up flatbread.  Recently I have started ordering them from the street carts with all the veggies but no sauce.  None.  If you let them put all those sauces on it, that must add 2-300 calories.

Similarly, the B79 sandwiches at Subway aren't so bad?  As long as you don't put a fatty sauce on it.  Yellow mustard is my favorite condiment as it has nearly zero calories per serving.

I will start looking at the supermarket salad bar options more carefully. 

I used to do things like get a B10 ice cream cone while walking around or drink a cold can coffee but I'm trying to cut those things out.  I will sometimes get one of those B10 probiotic yogurt drinks.

29 minutes ago, Uncle-V said:

I think you are better off sticking to Thai street food.  Soups , Som tam, larb, namtok,  fish and chicken riced dishes with veggies. Stay away form Pad Thai, sausages, and fried chicken. Portions are small so you won't over eat. Load up on fruit -- its cheap, plentiful and delicious and fresher than at any buffet.    

here is a site that gives some calorie counts for some streetfood favorites : http://www.bkkme.com/things/thai-street-food-without-fat/

Good luck in the Battle of the Bulge. 555

Thank you for that article on street food.  Not all of it can be good for you, as evidenced by all the pompui BGs.  Even if it is fatty or full of sugar, street food has the advantage of a reasonable serving size.

Yes Larry 199b = $5.70 thats a lot for a salad, maybe a big chefs salad. 

3 hours ago, LarryDarrell said:

I don't know, but if I pay B199 for a salad bar I will eat more than is appropriate for any single human meal regardless of how well I choose the ingredients.  It is simply the way my brain is wired, so I tend to avoid buffets.  I find that eating small meals is better as over time one's stomach gets smaller and you feel more satiated with less food.

That is a huge, broad topic.  Often I stay at hotels with a breakfast and a challenge for me is making the right choices and not overeating.  If you want to see bad choices, just sit yourself down at a breakfast buffet somewhere and watch people.  I have seen some crazy stuff.  If my breakfast is a buffet, it will definitely be my largest meal of the day, but I'm trying to cut back.  Generally I stick to black coffee, a couple of eggs and a lot of vegetables of whatever kind, followed by some fruit.  No toast, potatoes, rice, noodles or mystery meat.

If I am just hanging around my hotel waiting for the sun to go down I might just eat some fruit from the market and I often eat some oatmeal.  Another strange habit I have is to eat those small cans of sardines or mackerel that are popular here.  I haven't figured out yet if those things are killing me.

Street food can be good but as Uncle-V describes some of it can be full of sugar and fat.  Choose carefully.  I like the papaya salads myself, and will now be trying to get mine made with less sugar.

I'm a fan of Doner in the rolled up flatbread.  Recently I have started ordering them from the street carts with all the veggies but no sauce.  None.  If you let them put all those sauces on it, that must add 2-300 calories.

Similarly, the B79 sandwiches at Subway aren't so bad?  As long as you don't put a fatty sauce on it.  Yellow mustard is my favorite condiment as it has nearly zero calories per serving.

I will start looking at the supermarket salad bar options more carefully. 

I used to do things like get a B10 ice cream cone while walking around or drink a cold can coffee but I'm trying to cut those things out.  I will sometimes get one of those B10 probiotic yogurt drinks.

Thank you for that article on street food.  Not all of it can be good for you, as evidenced by all the pompui BGs.  Even if it is fatty or full of sugar, street food has the advantage of a reasonable serving size.

During a  vacation is not the best time to be worrying about one's diet but Thai food is your friend if you want to keep excesses in check.   Stay away from buffets.  The food quality is crap most often.  You are more likely to be food poisoned there than elsewhere for all the obvious reasons.

Such an endless variety of Thai food wherever you happen to be.   Usually includes plenty of veggies and the meal portions are perfect for the hot climate where over eating never feels very good after the fact.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lets eat. :D

1 hour ago, Whalley said:

Stay away from buffets.  The food quality is crap most often.  You are more likely to be food poisoned there than elsewhere for all the obvious reasons.

exactly! I've never gotten sick form street food. Just make sure the cart you order from gets good business an that their food is hot and doesn't sit around. The only time Ive ever gotten food poisoning it was from a hotel breakfast buffets. 

For me Sizzler is the only option for salads. Nothing else even comes close here. I go there once or twice a week for lunch.

On 4/23/2017 at 18:03, plahgat said:

You can buy fresh salads and veggies at a salad bar in any shopping mall and mix yourself and take home!

Think it is 20-30 baht per 100gram.

Plahgat

Yes most are in the 15 to 20 baht range and pretty basic at big c/friendship/max saver the top of the range one is in central festival for 30 baht per 100g large choise. ends up quite dear for a salad

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

• 2 months later...

So, any new competitors, or is it still Sizzlers to go to for a salad buffet?

Archived