IGNORED

Thai driving licence and Thai bank account

Patts Luver

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, just arrived back home.

Thai Bank account:

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

Thai Driving Licence:

The day after I went to Land of Transport office.

All they asked was :

- a copy of the passport and immigration card

- a certificate of residence

- 2 photos

- a medical certificate from a Dr with me for DL. It's mandatory !!!  It costed me 120 Baht

They asked me if I had a DL from home, I said no. As I wanted to keep mine, I was afraid they would say that I should just change it.... It was mistake, cause if you give a copy of your home DL, you would skip the driving test and still get the Thai DL. I heard that after passing the test...

Anyway, I got an appointment. 3 weeks later I went at 8 o'clock, We sat in a room for 5 hours, watched a DvD about many rules of driving in LoS, was like 5 hours of theory. After we took the driving test and then the written test with 50 questions. 20 minutes later I got the Thai DL, costs 205 Baht valid for 2 years.....

2 hours later I rented this beauty 500 baht/day !!!!

post-140158-0-35528100-1488742938_thumb.jpg

post-140158-0-96305900-1488742972_thumb.jpg

post-140158-0-89098900-1488742999_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazing how easy your bank experience was. I frequently hear others on the forums talk about the banks wanting mandatory insurance, work permits, silly minimum deposits, etc.

On 06/03/2017 at 2:44 AM, Pattsist said:

They asked me if I had a DL from home, I said no. As I wanted to keep mine, I was afraid they would say that I should just change it....

For the benefit of others they do not take your foreign licence from you. They have no issue with you holding two licences. They may require you to do the practical test unless you have an International driving permit.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

On 3/5/2017 at 7:44 PM, Pattsist said:

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, just arrived back home.

Possible stupid question alert but... Is it possible to get this if you're not permanent resident? Or can anyone follow the above by just applying for a residence certificate?

Also love the bike!

Ops !!!

I spent 35 days in Los (January 26th - Mars the 2nd 2017). When I entered Los I got 30 days stamp on my passport as a tourist, the same stamp I got every time i have been there..... !!!!  I do not live in Thailand

9 minutes ago, Pattsist said:

Ops !!!

I spent 35 days in Los (January 26th - Mars the 2nd 2017). When I entered Los I got 30 days stamp on my passport as a tourist, the same stamp I got every time i have been there..... !!!!  I do not live in Thailand

Did you take a bike with you for the test or rented one there ?

If there, how much was it ?

Next to that office, there are many shops where you can copy your documents, coffee shops and restaurants. There is a coffee shop that also rents motorbikes, on the right side. I rented there and paid 100 Baht. they ask you to leave your passport there until you bring back the mc.

21 minutes ago, Pattsist said:

Ops !!!

Thank you!

What did you tell the immigration office?

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed it for MC DL and to open a bank account.

Just now, Pattsist said:

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed it for MC DL and to open a bank account.

Last stupid question, what did you put down as your address?

Great concise information. Was there an eye test ? I am color blind. I have difficulty seeing the difference between green and red for example.

i would hate to go to all the trouble and fail an eye test. 

As I wrote in the first post, I delivered a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days. So it means that I used the hotel address !!!

1 minute ago, portrea said:

Great concise information. Was there an eye test ? I am color blind. I have difficulty seeing the difference between green and red for example.

i would hate to go to all the trouble and fail an eye test. 

That was the first test and you have to pass it :-((

8 minutes ago, Pattsist said:

As I wrote in the first post, I delivered a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days. So it means that I used the hotel address !!!

Thank you again. I'll hand them my UK licence so hopefully won't need to do a test!

Great thread, I'll type up my experiences and post on this thread to help others too.

Promotion to Advanced Member deserved for sure!

tinkytaylor said:

Thank you again. I'll hand them my UK licence so hopefully won't need to do a test!

Great thread, I'll type up my experiences and post on this thread to help others too.

Promotion to Advanced Member deserved for sure!

If you hand them your UK DL you won't need to take the driving test, but you'll still have to take all the others 3 tests !!!

- eye test: about the colors

- reflex test: involves the yellow/green colors

- The written test

7 hours ago, Pattsist said:

That was the first test and you have to pass it :-((

I took the color test a couple months ago and they were pretty lenient and allowed one Thai man a couple of guesses for each attempt. It was kind of amusing because he seemed to be color blind but they passed him anyway.

19 minutes ago, Sissi said:

If someone is worried about the test... http://thaidriving.info if you learn to answer these questions, then you will pass for sure.

My only worry was that it might be in Thai!

Where do I get the medical certificate from, I overlooked that last time I read it.

Just now, tinkytaylor said:

Where do I get the medical certificate from, I overlooked that last time I read it.

i got it in banglamung clinic in soi buakhow, but i think you can get it in any clinic. All the questions was in english.

3 hours ago, tinkytaylor said:

Our friend Sissi  mentioned questions.

I got my medical certificate in a clinic in south pattaya road like 200 meters before you arrive to Shell station. No questions at all. I went in and said to the secretary that i needed the certificate. She asked for the passport and 5 minutes later i got it. 100 baht !! that's it

7 hours ago, Sissi said:

If someone is worried about the test... http://thaidriving.info if you learn to answer these questions, then you will pass for sure.

I used that page in august last year, absoluty recommended.

10 hours ago, tinkytaylor said:

You can get one in any clinic in no time at all.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Congrats to the OP, he got his license and bank account in a very efficient way.

There is a short-cut to getting a driving license. I approached an Udon Thani Driving School at 9am and they took my passport and address details from me, telling me to return at lunch-time. When I returned, they had obtained residency and medical certificates for me. They then drove me to the test center and we marched to the head of the queue, where my application and papers were handed over. A few minutes later, I had was being asked if I wanted a bike as well as a car license. These licenses were then spat out of a machine. 

The cost...4,500THB.

If I was doing it again, I would do it myself. However, if you are short of time, it's another option..

20 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

Congrats to the OP, he got his license and bank account in a very efficient way.

There is a short-cut to getting a driving license. I approached an Udon Thani Driving School at 9am and they took my passport and address details from me, telling me to return at lunch-time. When I returned, they had obtained residency and medical certificates for me. They then drove me to the test center and we marched to the head of the queue, where my application and papers were handed over. A few minutes later, I had was being asked if I wanted a bike as well as a car license. These licenses were then spat out of a machine. 

The cost...4,500THB.

If I was doing it again, I would do it myself. However, if you are short of time, it's another option..

..and the Thais are scratching their heads wondering why the death rates on their roads is so high....lol

Archived