Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai driving licence and Thai bank account

Patts Luver

For those who want to take the test. This is very useful link  http://thaidriving.info/   . I found it days before I took the test. I went through 3-4 times before I took the test. Most of the questions (almost 85%) were among  these questions on this site. Some of the rules are Not international. The others are familiar....So help yourself.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Scumbag said:

..and the Thais are scratching their heads wondering why the death rates on their roads is so high....lol

In fairness, when I went with the driving school a second time (to get my 5 year license), I did get a test. The accelerate/brake simulator, followed by the traffic lights. I was asked the colours:

'Green' - yes

'Red' - yes

'Amber' - no

The driving school guy says 'he means yellow' The test guy 'okay mister you pass' :rolleyes:

Is there anywhere I can actually hire a normal bike rather than a moped/scooter?

And can I actually get proper insurance? I'm a little bit paranoid it might go missing.

I rented a moped to take the test, 3 minutes walk from the station where I took the test. They have only mopeds. Insurance ?? no idea. The test takes a 3 minutes. didn't ask at all, didn't care either...

1 minute ago, Pattsist said:

I rented a moped to take the test, 3 minutes walk from the station where I took the test. They have only mopeds. Insurance ?? no idea. The test takes a 3 minutes. didn't ask at all, didn't care either...

I'll be handing over my UK licence. I must be able to find a little KTM, Honda MSX125, Ninjaette or similar so I can do some exploring.

On 05/03/2017 at 7:44 PM, Patts Luver said:

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, just arrived back home.

Thai Bank account:

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

Hey mate,

Can i ask which branch of KrugSri bank did you open the account at? also does the account have internet banking?

Would a hotel receipt from an online site like Agoda do to get residence?

40 minutes ago, gustafo15 said:

Hey mate,

Can i ask which branch of KrugSri bank did you open the account at? also does the account have internet banking?

Would a hotel receipt from an online site like agoda do to get residence?

- I opened my account in Central festival. And yes you can do internet banking...

- I showed a receipt that showed that I was staying in the hotel for 30 days and that I had already paid. I used the hotel's address as my address.

If Agoda receipt would work, I dont know. But intuitively I think not. Cause the receipt shows where you are staying and that makes you able to use that address, cause you must have a address

Remember that you must have a Thai phone number !!!

13 hours ago, Patts Luver said:

- I opened my account in Central festival. And yes you can do internet banking...

- I showed a receipt that showed that I was staying in the hotel for 30 days and that I had already paid. I used the hotel's address as my address.

If Agoda receipt would work, I dont know. But intuitively I think not. Cause the receipt shows where you are staying and that makes you able to use that address, cause you must have a address

Remember that you must have a Thai phone number !!!

Cheers will try that branch.

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic and info.  Thanks fellas.  I would like to pose a question (and also preface it by saying "possible stupid question alert")  Is the purpose of having a Thai DL for ability to rent a bigger bike or for ability to easily open a Thai bank account?  I have no interest in anything bigger than 150cc moped and have never had any difficulty renting one for my stays.  I am interested in having a Thai bank account though for being able to transfer into it from my primary over internet, and then be able to withdraw ATM much easier and without fees.  In order of Residence, to DL, to Bank account it seems that having each one chronologically greatly helps the next step. 

Also, sidenote, I am searching other threads and about to ask What is the best way to handle visa situation if departing on my 31st day? Just hope for the best and be ready to pay 500baht? or could it end up bad? The immigration website does not seem to specify exactly what counts as day 1 and when does violation begin? after 31st day?  There seem to be a few knowledgeable fellas posting here, so figured on trying here first. Any info appreciated.  Stay well. 

On 3/6/2017 at 2:44 AM, Patts Luver said:

Well, these are just informations to people who are interested in these things and don't have the exact infos.

I spent 35 days in LoS, just arrived back home.

Thai Bank account:

On my 3rd day in LoS, I went to immigration office in Jomtien, I applied for residence certificate. in the application i mentioned that i needed for MC DL and to open a bank account.

All I needed was :

- a copy of the passport, the stamp from the airport (30 days) and the departure card.

- a copy of the receipt that i had already paid the hotel for 30 days

- 2 pass photos

- 400 Baht

After about an hour I got 2 certificates !

I went first to Bangkok bank, I tried but then i changed my mind cause

- ATM card i was offered costed 700 Baht....

- That card is free of charge if I use it in ATMs in BKK and Chon buri regions but not free in the rest of LoS.

So I went to KrugSri bank. I opened the account and paid 300 Baht and got a debit card, I can use in ATMs in the whole nation free of charge....

Thai Driving Licence:

The day after I went to Land of Transport office.

All they asked was :

- a copy of the passport and immigration card

- a certificate of residence

- 2 photos

- a medical certificate from a Dr with me for DL. It's mandatory !!!  It costed me 120 Baht

They asked me if I had a DL from home, I said no. As I wanted to keep mine, I was afraid they would say that I should just change it.... It was mistake, cause if you give a copy of your home DL, you would skip the driving test and still get the Thai DL. I heard that after passing the test...

Anyway, I got an appointment. 3 weeks later I went at 8 o'clock, We sat in a room for 5 hours, watched a DvD about many rules of driving in LoS, was like 5 hours of theory. After we took the driving test and then the written test with 50 questions. 20 minutes later I got the Thai DL, costs 205 Baht valid for 2 years.....

2 hours later I rented this beauty 500 baht/day !!!!

post-140158-0-35528100-1488742938_thumb.jpg

post-140158-0-96305900-1488742972_thumb.jpg

post-140158-0-89098900-1488742999_thumb.jpg

Did all the same 100% correct. Driver Licence  2 hours you out of there. If you have a DL from your Country and an Intl DL. If no Intl DL you need to watch a video for 1 hour so total 3 hours. If neither then you need to do the tests as stated. All the Intl DL is is a translation of your DL into many languages. If you have a DL which is not in english or Thai and have no Intl Licence you need to get your DL translated into Thai. My friend who had a French licence paid 3000 TBH to a Lawyer to get it translated. Its cheaper to do at the Embassy in Bangkok but you need to get there to.

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic information. I am a bit dismayed that there is a colour blindness test though.......I have been colour blind since primary school and it has never affected me driving or working. 

Fantastic information. I am a bit dismayed that there is a colour blindness test though.......I have been colour blind since primary school and it has never affected me driving or working. 

Saw a young Thai guy being refused the licence last time l was applying for a renewal...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, psm916 said:

how did you get  alicence is australia . I am sure they test for colour blindness to. Its only 3 colours they check red-yellow-green

10 minutes ago, GlobalTraveler said:

how did you get  alicence is australia . I am sure they test for colour blindness to. Its only 3 colours they check red-yellow-green

I'm from the UK. No colour blindness test there. Plus I get annual medical for work, I never pass the test although I try every year lol. Has no detrimental affects on my work or driving. It's not like I see in black and white. I just cannot see subtle changes in shades of colour. 

• 5 months later...

This post is a clear example of how it is possible to get through the local red tape and get on with it without too much hassle.

So many people blog how difficult it is to open a Thai bank account while the rest of us just get the jog done in 20 mins !!

Just remain focussed and don,t ask any useless questins about 15 baht per month fees ??

10 minutes ago, fourrings said:

wait..... do you need a Thai DL to rent a Scooter? The question was asked but I never saw it answered. 

Thanks

No you don,t.

Just now, fourrings said:

good to know, thanks

Fucking library card would do mate and thats if they ask .

30 minutes ago, shadowcat said:

No you don,t.

May be not to rent, but to drive it.

Just now, shadowcat said:

Please explain.

to drive a Mc in Thailand, you need a drivers licence.

5 minutes ago, Hot&Spicy said:

Apparently so. But try telling that to the people that hire a bike with a bit of cardboard torn off a cornflakes packet for ID

Apparently you need a drivers liscence in Australia too if you intend to drive but TIT.

1 hour ago, Hot&Spicy said:

You should have an international license with motorcycle endorsement or a Thai motorcycle license.   Have heard people using motorcycle licenses from other countries but expect you are technically illegal.  They stop motorbikes a lot around Pattaya to check licenses and registration and if you are not 100% legal you are at their mercy and probably will get a ticket.  Depending on where you come from getting an International Drivers license is probably the best option to be covered.   FYI the same applies to no helmet.  There are just too many traffic stops to take the risk assuming you were not inclined to wear a helmet in the first place.  Once you are stopped they will also check license and registration sticker.

Common sense is not very common.

Archived