IGNORED

The search for the best compact camera continues...

The Sly Fox

The Sony RX100 series has been the top pocketable compact for a few years now....right from the MKI to the MKIII

It's an incredible camera. It has all the control of a professional level DSLR with a Zeiss lens and a 1 inch sensor in a form factor about the size of a cigarette box.

I think pocketable is a relative term. I currently use a richoh gr11 which has an apsc sensor but a fixed lens. It is great for what i use it for. Taking pictures or bar girls and also street phtography but although it easily the lightest and most pocketable of the apsc size cameras out there I still find it a bit big to fit into the front pocket of a pair of shorts although that is what i do with it. 

I found the sony's to be incredibly heavy given their size but they are undoubtedly popular. I am evaluating my kit at the moment as in the end taking photos is fun and i enjoy taking them with my DSLR far more than a pocket camera. Nikon will release their full frame mirrorless camera some time in the next six months and if it is good i might just get that and carry it with me more often than i do now plus just use a smartphone as a carry around. 

The problem with most of the point and shoot cameras, or anything better, is that hardly any have a GPS built-in - which I prefer to be able to keep my pictures tagged.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently added the Fuji X-E3 to my Fuji collection, and am loving it. With a 18/2 (equivalent to a 28 mm wide angle, it is smaller then the X100F, but , except for central shutter, gives virtually same performance in terms of image quality. 24MP is plenty to make big prints, and the sensor is good enough to do some cropping if need be.
Great camera for in room pix, and it has the option of fitting some of my other Fuji lenses.
I now use my old Canon 5DII only once or twice a year.... 

• 4 weeks later...

The Sony is a good yard stick but I ended up choosing the Panasonic LX 10/15.
I needed a camera I could charge via USB.  The familiarity of the interface along with other nice features like aperture ring, video and stabalisation were other features which helped to sell it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both the Sony RX100IV and the Fuji X100T. Without a doubt, I would bring the RX100 on trips. The X100T is a wonderful camera and can render portraits like nothing else can. But it's too specialized and too big (and flashy!) to bring on a globe trotting trip. The RX100 is a pocket wonder.

Archived