IGNORED

England's jinx in the Cricket world cup- 50 overs version

mogli33

Its really sad that despite cricket being invented in England and one day cricket being first played in english county cricket level still England  have not even won a single world cup in the 50 overs format....whats even  more depressing that the last time england made the semifinal of the world cup was way back in 1992...which means in the last 6 world cup they have never got to the last 4...Moreover in the last world cup they never even got to the quarters after losing to bangladesh

Next world cup 2019 is in England and im hoping England do well...it would be nice to see England win the cricket world cup...surely they truly deserve cricket's ultimate prize after having invented the game

Given that the ECB appear hell-bent on destroying the County game, I very much doubt it.

With the latest plan, forced through by bribing & threatening counties, to increase the amount of T20 even further it is very likely that the amount of 1-day cricket played by counties, already reduced considerably, will be reduced even further.

Hard to see how players will develop in the format when they hardly ever play it!

In addition, it is inevitable that the amount of First Class cricket, reduced a few years ago & again reduced next season, will also be reduced even further. The England Test side is likely to suffer as a result.

Complete idiots in charge of the ECB, totally obsessed with the money being offered by Sky.

After many years, there's every chance that next year will be my last as a County member.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

So it's a bit the same as with football than ...  :WinkGrin1: . 

In order of preference..Australia,Sheep Shaggers, Bangladesh,Sri Lanka,Pakistan, Safas,Any of the filler teams ...England..India...I really dont like Kohli!

Watching them lose at sports they invented is great imo.

Its really sad that despite cricket being invented in England and one day cricket being first played in english county cricket level still England  have not even won a single world cup in the 50 overs format....whats even  more depressing that the last time england made the semifinal of the world cup was way back in 1992...which means in the last 6 world cup they have never got to the last 4...Moreover in the last world cup they never even got to the quarters after losing to bangladesh

Next world cup 2019 is in England and im hoping England do well...it would be nice to see England win the cricket world cup...surely they truly deserve cricket's ultimate prize after having invented the game

The ultimate prize in world cricket is the ashes ,  but that competition is a closed shop .

The 50 over world cup seems to be beyond England for some reason , they have had the players to win it in the past , and have a strong team right now , but likely

to mess up with the little Irishman as captain .

Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy

The champions trophy next year will be a good indication as to how far our ODI team have evolved - I believe that we have a strong opportunity to capitalise on home conditions and finally lift a 50 over trophy.

The champions trophy next year will be a good indication as to how far our ODI team have evolved - I believe that we have a strong opportunity to capitalise on home conditions and finally lift a 50 over trophy.

Nope.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

And T20 keeps making strides forward... cricket a slogathon for cricket fans........ people with no attention span!

The ultimate prize in world cricket is the ashes ,  but that competition is a closed shop .

Well thats the only excuse for not doing well in a ICC competition where all teams participate instead of just 2

And T20 keeps making strides forward... cricket a slogathon for cricket fans........ people with no attention span!

and 50 overs too has now become a slogfest...recently in England there have been many scores of 350 plus...for example the 400 score against pak.

While earlier England pitches would be favorable to fast bowlers...In the 1999 world cup teams barely crossed 250...now 350 is normal in England

I pity the England team because many times even when playing at home they never get home support...When they play india there are more Indian supporters in the crowd same goes when they play pakistan...

One of the rare instances in sport where the home team does not have an home advantage

and 50 overs too has now become a slogfest...recently in England there have been many scores of 350 plus...for example the 400 score against pak.

While earlier England pitches would be favorable to fast bowlers...In the 1999 world cup teams barely crossed 250...now 350 is normal in England

I agree, they should get rid of this powerplay bullshit and revert to the first 15 over fielding restrictions.

Finally someone who sees T20 for what it is, cricket was also about beating the elements as well as the opposition. 

I pity the England team because many times even when playing at home they never get home support...When they play india there are more Indian supporters in the crowd same goes when they play pakistan...

One of the rare instances in sport where the home team does not have an home advantage

It always hard to get tickets when India tour England - especially for a ODI or T20. The Indian fans put ours to shame.

The average cricket fan (myself included) does not chant or make loads of noise for England home games. Lords does not encourage atmosphere and the Oval can be very silent.

I have seen Sri Lanka plan England for an ODI at the Oval and their fans (less than 1,000) made more noise than ours.

Culturally our home Cricket fans are less inclined to make noise - we generally offer a polite clap when something happens.

Our barmy army make plenty of noise and I guess this is down to away fans (at most sports) who really get behind their team.

It always hard to get tickets when India tour England - especially for a ODI or T20. The Indian fans put ours to shame.

Anywhere outside the subcontinent wherever India plays their fans mostly outnumber the home team fans...India seem to have the home advantage even when playing away from Home..

In India cricket is a religion and the fans expect nothing less than a win whenever India plays

Sorry but that's just not true. I was at two days of the Edgbaston Test this year and I doubt there were more than a couple of hundred Pakistan supporters there either day.

Sorry but that's just not true. I was at two days of the Edgbaston Test this year and I doubt there were more than a couple of hundred Pakistan supporters there either day.

Thats good to see england supporters outnumber their asian opposition supporters but in most cases its the reverse...especially in the one-dayers and t20's...and if England are playing India in England then its the Indian supporters filling most of the ground...

Thats good to see england supporters outnumber their asian opposition supporters but in most cases its the reverse...especially in the one-dayers and t20's...and if England are playing India in England then its the Indian supporters filling most of the ground...

We'll see - I will be in Mumbai and Chennai for test matches in December :GoldenSmile1:.​

I agree - Pakistan fans usually have larger numbers at ODI/ T20 games but the English are the majority.

Well thats the only excuse for not doing well in a ICC competition where all teams participate instead of just 2

I wasn't offering the "ashes " as an excuse that England don't do well at the limited overs tournaments .  Its no excuse at all .

I just feel that test cricket should be the ultimate test in cricket , something that Davidge  mentioned , that the National boards of many countries see the 20 over competitions as priority for making money .

The BCCI , ECB and WICB being prime examples .

Mikeyboy

Agreed test Cricket is real Cricket but winning the ashes cannot be equivalent to winning a world cup as there are just 2 countries involved...also realistically speaking the ashes is not the most competitive test series. There are other Test series which are more competitive For Example Australia vs India, Australia vs South Africa, India vs England. and yes the India vs Pakistan is considered the mother of all battles as the rivalry is not limited to the sport alone...

Maybe 30 years ago the ashes was the most important test series but not now...

The topic that we are discussing here is 50 overs cricket and england's inability to win even a single world cup and moreover not even get to the semifinals since 1992

Also speaking of the 1992 world cup...England looked outright favorites and I really wanted them to win it. They had the best One-day side in that tournament. Unfortunately Gooch dropped an easy catch of Imran Khan early on and imran went to top score taking pakistan to a competetive total which was difficult to chase.

1987 too was close and gatting's reverse sweet disaster turned the game in Australia's favour...

From the 1996 world cup onwards England's campaign has been an absolute disaster in all tournaments....Hopefully 2019 will be different

By the way , ex english  captain Paul collingwood is my first cousin..

Agreed test Cricket is real Cricket but winning the ashes cannot be equivalent to winning a world cup as there are just 2 countries involved...also realistically speaking the ashes is not the most competitive test series. There are other Test series which are more competitive For Example Australia vs India, Australia vs South Africa, India vs England. and yes the India vs Pakistan is considered the mother of all battles as the rivalry is not limited to the sport alone...

Maybe 30 years ago the ashes was the most important test series but not now...

The topic that we are discussing here is 50 overs cricket and england's inability to win even a single world cup and moreover not even get to the semifinals since 1992

Why are you even  wasting your time and posting such AN IRREVELANT topic on pattaya addicts...England is a first world country and no has time to think on such a  stupid issue like that of yours.. I just got amazed of checking Indias Fifa rankings..May be in dreams can India even think of competing in a FIFA world cup...I am not comparing cricket to football over here....I would rather watch a spiderman movie than by going on ground to watch England playing India because of uncultured Indian fans who turn up..I am not being racist over here..But Indian fans who turn up to watch match on ground are the most unpolished ones......

Archived