IGNORED

Best restaurants for solo dining?

Hello Everyone:

I think in general the Thai dining experience is pretty social, but there are times when I'm looking for a good solo dining experience without feeling too awkward. Anyone have any good solo dining spots that they could suggest? Personally I'm always looking for good wine options if possible since I tend to get wine withdrawl symptoms in LOS after a week or so.

Best regards,

M

What sort of food do you want? If I wanted a nice wine selection I might be tempted to try one of the big hotels that does a wine sampler-buffet.

Personally I've eaten alone at most meals for the last 40+ years and it's never bothered me.

Any place is great for dining alone... what's there to feel awkward about...???

If you're asking this question, then nowhere.

To the OP, I'm not intentionally being a dick but your mindset is the only thing that counts here

Agreed, but the OP is obviously thinner skinned than us.

Maybe he is referring to the routine in falang restaurants.

The tables are usually pre-laid for 4 diners.

If you sit down alone, they gather up the other 3 place settings.

I never understood the purpose of this, except to make you feel awkward.

I'm a thick skinned old git, so don't care. The OP is apparently the more sensitive type.

To avoid the place setting removal nightmare, just go a Thai restaurant e.g. Leng Kee.

The tables are not pre-set - they give you the cutlery when you order.

The shame and embarrassment of eating alone is thus greatly diminished.

As for wine - forget it while in Patts.

You are unlikely to get good wine at the right temperature that doesn't cost the earth.

anyone that is really dark

I eat often alone and everywhere in patts, just don't care about it. I just take my ipad, reading/watching something, and eating, and I love that :)

Eating alone in pattaya its a moment I enjoy too.

The idea that others will think you must have some weird smell about you as if you don't wipe properly, or that you are so pathetically incapable of holding a normal conversation with others the only way someone would sit with you is if you are paying them for their time and their meal...how about the thought that others are staring and everyone is thinking...."yeah, there another loser sex-pat",

These are the thoughts that run through my head when I see a insecure farang in Patts....555, I'm joking OP, you need to man up, who gives a shit what others think? 

Agreed, but the OP is obviously thinner skinned than us.

Maybe he is referring to the routine in falang restaurants.

The tables are usually pre-laid for 4 diners.

If you sit down alone, they gather up the other 3 place settings.

I never understood the purpose of this, except to make you feel awkward.

Yes, they do this in many places here and in Europe also. I always assumed that it was a hygiene thing.

Hello Everyone:

I think in general the Thai dining experience is pretty social, but there are times when I'm looking for a good solo dining experience without feeling too awkward. Anyone have any good solo dining spots that they could suggest? Personally I'm always looking for good wine options if possible since I tend to get wine withdrawl symptoms in LOS after a week or so.

Best regards,

M

If you want a decent (and in Thailand extremely expensive due to the “sin tax”) wine you could try Le Bordeaux towards the end of Soi Day Night 2 (the soi right of TukCom).

I think they do have a website.

One of the owners is member “gtruch”.

Yes, they do this in many places here and in Europe also. I always assumed that it was a hygiene thing.

Maybe you're right KK.

If so, why leave the cutlery on the table for flies to crawl over all day?

It would be fun to sit down alone at a large table set for 12 diners :)

The idea that others will think you must have some weird smell about you as if you don't wipe properly, or that you are so pathetically incapable of holding a normal conversation with others the only way someone would sit with you is if you are paying them for their time and their meal...how about the thought that others are staring and everyone is thinking...."yeah, there another loser sex-pat",

These are the thoughts that run through my head when I see a insecure farang in Patts....555, I'm joking OP, you need to man up, who gives a shit what others think? 

To reiterate... You are in a city know as a sex tourist city.. and you're worried of what people will think of you if you are seen to dine alone???

Like being labeled a pedo, a fudge packer, or a sex tourist isn't bad enough???

The op has an interesting definition of "awkward"...

To reiterate... You are in a city know as a sex tourist city.. and you're worried of what people will think of you if you are seen to dine alone???

Like being labeled a pedo, a fudge packer, or a sex tourist isn't bad enough???

The op has an interesting definition of "awkward"...

Dining alone in Pattaya, I've always figured other folks would just be wondering where my hooker date was.

I'm always awkward dining alone. Are other people thinking I've been stood up or maybe I just can't approach girls? It's very perplexing

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Eat here in Pats, highly recommended :GoldenSmile1:

daty.jpg

I eat alone often, and enjoy reading news on my phone, gotta keep up with the Donald's new antics....Go Trump

whenever I am eating alone the waitress are super nice to me, so no problem from them

I'm always awkward dining alone. Are other people thinking I've been stood up or maybe I just can't approach girls? It's very perplexing

Food court in any mall would be a start.. After a while, if you can muster up enough courage, then advance to the restaurant in the mall. And maybe one day you can go to any restaurant alone. 

I've never noticed anyone eating alone at MK suki so I wouldn't go there.

I agree that in a big city in the Western world , in a nice restaurant it may feel awkward..... So many open air casual dining spots  where a single customer is not out of place. Also, In this day and age, you have a smart phone and/or a tablet/laptop to keep you company. 

In the old days , you would bring a book.  Any restaurant in a mall should suffice , as a lot of solo shoppers will stop to eat. if it's that awkward, have food delivered to you.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Good thing about Patts, you can have food and girls delivered to you. Best place on earth to be a hermit with frailties

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Beefeaters or Patrick's are two that immediately spring to mind. Can't imagine it being a problem at Steak & Co. The wine bistro at the Second Rd end of New Plaza. Casa Pascal might suit you or Cherry's. Bite me Bistro has been getting rave reviews.

All the above are not mega expensive and within or a short distance from the central Pattaya bar area.

Archived