Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Problem Buying Sim Card at 7/11

Sexyfarangman

Do 7/11s still sell Sim Cards? I arrived in Bangkok and tried to buy a Sim card at a number of 7/11s, but couldn't. I found a place, with great difficulty, that does sell them. Is this the same in Pattaya? Also, where can you top up your minutes?

That's interesting.

I wonder if they've just decided not to sell to Farang in the 7/11's, it does take a while to register a SIM now that they have to record your Passport details instead of just chucking a SIM across the counter.  Maybe it was taking up too much staff time?

Cheers

Perthie

Perthie's PA Bash and Bikini/Glow Party 19th May 2017.  Bikini clad girls in body paint, great food including pig roast, free shots, games and prizes for the lads and lasses.

6pm onwards at Sexy In The City (Soi 6) under the hosting expertise of the magnificent Xylanic.

I bought one in Patts in a 7/11 or Family Mart in May without any problem. Be interested to hear any recent reports as well.

I bought one in Patts in a 7/11 or Family Mart in May without any problem. Be interested to hear any recent reports as well.

7/11 wouldnt sell to me, they said dont sell.

Family Mart had tourist sims on display priced and wouldnt sell it to me, said I had to go to tukcom.

Itd be the "its too hard" attitude I encountered, one 7/11 also wouldnt let me pay for a flight with the same attitude.

I didn't need a SIM as mine from last year worked, but topping up as easy as ever - either voucher or immediately from machine.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

In May I went to 2 7/11s and 1 Family Mart around Soi5/Beach Rd. All 3 said 'no hab' despite me offering my passport. I eventually tried the 7/11 at 2nd Rd/Soi2? (or thereabouts) and a younger guy in there sold me a SIM and set me up. He took a photo of my passport as part of the set up/sale procedure.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I didn't need a SIM as mine from last year worked, but topping up as easy as ever - either voucher or immediately from machine.

I thought that the SIM cards expire if you don't add minutes within a certain period. How long had you waited before topping up?

7/11 wouldnt sell to me, they said dont sell.

Family Mart had tourist sims on display priced and wouldnt sell it to me, said I had to go to tukcom.

Itd be the "its too hard" attitude I encountered, one 7/11 also wouldnt let me pay for a flight with the same attitude.

Do you happen to know whether it is still possible to top up at 7/11? It seems that it would be a real pain in the ass having to run down to Tukcom every time you need to add minutes.

I thought that the SIM cards expire if you don't add minutes within a certain period. How long had you waited before topping up?

When I was here last July, I noticed the validity increased by a month every time I topped up 90 baht.

I kept on topping up and it extended to 12 months ahead - it wouldn't go further. The SIM worked at airport when I arrived so I went to True Move desk and used the credit to buy my internet package for this trip - I had a balance of 835 baht.

I'll top up a few times this trip so I can, hopefully, use the same SIM when I come back in December.

Do you happen to know whether it is still possible to top up at 7/11? It seems that it would be a real pain in the ass having to run down to Tukcom every time you need to add minutes.

As I said above, I bought a top-up yesterday at a 7-11 as usual.

Same problem a few months ago in a 7/11 trying to buy a sim . The next door phone shop was no problem . 

Don't forget your passport though as they need to register . 

When I was here last July, I noticed the validity increased by a month every time I topped up 90 baht.

I kept on topping up and it extended to 12 months ahead - it wouldn't go further. The SIM worked at airport when I arrived so I went to True Move desk and used the credit to buy my internet package for this trip - I had a balance of 835 baht.

I'll top up a few times this trip so I can, hopefully, use the same SIM when I come back in December.

Yes for example telephone company AIS 1.2, Call you can even gain credit and get 20 BHT month validity of the card. You can gain credit in advance for one year. Very easy to recharge the machine in the ground floor of Central Festival.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Top ups would be fast so I dont think theyd refuse that. I think the lazy sods just didnt want to to through the activation process, much more pressing matters to tend to..like chatting.

Similar to what Thajec says: Each time you add funds (can be as little as 20 baht), you get another 30 days. Maximum is 1 year.

Maximum from above is 1 year in advance.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

Similar to what Thajec says: Each time you add funds (can be as little as 20 baht), you get another 30 days. Maximum is 1 year.

Maximum from above is 1 year in advance.

So if I add 20 baht 12 times in one month, I will have 12 months before it is necessary to add money again? Is that correct?

Top ups would be fast so I dont think theyd refuse that. I think the lazy sods just didnt want to to through the activation process, much more pressing matters to tend to..like chatting.

It had to be a corporate level decision. It was probably decided that the effort didn't justify whatever benefit was being derived.

So if I add 20 baht 12 times in one month, I will have 12 months before it is necessary to add money again? Is that correct?

You'll get a text when you top up showing the balance & expiry date.

It's 12 months ago so I can't be certain, but I'm pretty sure that with True when I tried to top up less than 90 baht the expiry date did NOT extend a month. 90 baht was the minimum that did this. Other companies could be different though.

I topped up a few times in the same day, as long as it was a different 90 baht voucher code each tine then I got an extra month.

Yes, that's exactly right. This is my experience with AIS 12 Call (Central Festival Ground Floor Beach End). I can't vouch for True and some of the others; they might be different.

The Thai Friendly Master Index - tfmi.wtf - 1700 ladies, 5000 reviews and still growing

Crowd Sourcing: use the button on the TFMI or go to tfmi.wtf/form

For DTAC and Happy phones the easiest way to extend credit is:

·         Extend Validity  - Press : *113*[number of days 30/90/180]*9# Example: *113*180*9#  for  180 day extension.·         Extend Validity  - Press : *113*[number of days 30/90/180]*9# Example: *113*180*9#  for  180 day extension.

Cost 12 baht to extend for 180 days.

How to extend credit link

http://help.mobiletopup.com/knowledge-base/how-do-i-extend-the-expiry-date-validity-of-my-sim/

Do 7/11s still sell Sim Cards? I arrived in Bangkok and tried to buy a Sim card at a number of 7/11s, but couldn't. I found a place, with great difficulty, that does sell them. Is this the same in Pattaya? Also, where can you top up your minutes?

As noted above, since the change in regulations, it's (supposed to be) more difficult for foreigners to purchase a SIM card.

So likely that convenience stores just don't bother with selling them to stupid kwai farang, as it takes a cashier away from helping the customers in line behind you as they unpackage SIM, insert SIM card, register SIM card with your passport, wait for confirmation and activation, et cetera.

Top up is no pompem though, just did one at a 7-11 in Pattaya two days ago.

My 8 years old card stays 1 year value after even 1 upload , and if 0 balance remains...(only nagging messages for a while to top up... :GoldenSmile1:  .But seller that time advised me  never to change calling  promotion other I loose that privilege.This  12 call card AIS

My second new sim give for any upload 1 month extra adding up..... so confirming other posters with same experience. This .AIS  12call

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

As noted above, since the change in regulations, it's (supposed to be) more difficult for foreigners to purchase a SIM card.

So likely that convenience stores just don't bother with selling them to stupid kwai farang, as it takes a cashier away from helping the customers in line behind you as they unpackage SIM, insert SIM card, register SIM card with your passport, wait for confirmation and activation, et cetera.

Top up is no pompem though, just did one at a 7-11 in Pattaya two days ago.

Yep, they did a good job of scaremongering and all the sad, drama Queens rushed off to register their Thai sim cards.

I refused to fall in line and take the bait as I actually KNOW how things work (or often don't) in Thailand.

Still have the same number I've held for many years, no termination of service whatsoever despite my refusal to register, and unlike the pathetic know fuck alls, my number remains as private as I wish it to be.

• 11 months later...
On 7/5/2016 at 9:43 PM, Nando9999 said:

It appears that 7-11 doesn't do top ups for AIS sim cards. I had to go to  Family Mart because 7-11 told me they don't handle AIS.

The only problem I remember was the switch from 2G to minimum 3G, this is an old thread, I am pretty sure      last Dec once I upgraded my Thai phone I could top up at my usual 7/11?

On 05/07/2016 at 11:43 PM, Sexyfarangman said:

It had to be a corporate level decision. It was probably decided that the effort didn't justify whatever benefit was being derived.

I don't know,  some of them are just fuck lazy,  I took my phone in there to pay for a flight,  all she had to do was scan the bar code or enter the number into the register and accept payment. 

Bar code didn't scan immediately so she just plain refused " cannot"  I pointed at the "pay at any 7/11"..to her credit she did try scanning again but it obviously required either the appropriate screen or selection on the register or the girl to enter the bar code as it wouldn't register. 

Walked back down 2nd rd,  cut through vt6 to the beach road 7/11 scan pay no issue,  in and out in a minute. 

Archived