IGNORED

Taa Lung

Jonny5

Remember remember though, speaking Thai is a powerful thing. Id say its better to understand Thai and only speak Thai in certain situations. There is a common phrase in Thailand.....

"Farang roo mak mai dee" (Means its no good if a Farang knows too much (about Thai)).

Its certainly not the aphrodisiac / ice breaker that makes TGs flock to you. Many are thinking, "He's been in Thailand too long, knows the lie of the land and will be difficult to get big money out of"

I suppose from that thought rationale it could cut the wheat from the chaff quite quickly and help with the vetting process. Just a thought

BTW, Dr Winston, you're undertanding of spoken and written Thai language is commendable.

Edited by luvyoulongtime

Remember remember though, speaking Thai is a powerful thing. Id say its better to understand Thai and only speak Thai in certain situations. There is a common phrase in Thailand.....

"Farang roo mak mai dee" (Means its no good if a Farang knows too much (about Thai)).

Its certainly not the aphrodisiac / ice breaker that makes TGs flock to you. Many are thinking, "He's been in Thailand too long, knows the lie of the land and will be difficult to get big money out of"

I suppose from that thought rationale it could cut the wheat from the chaff quite quickly and help with the vetting process. Just a thought

BTW, Dr Winston, you're undertanding of spoken and written Thai language is commendable.

I started a thread about my thought/experiences of when it might be better to not speak Thai. http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/Thai-t25948.html . Generally speaking though you're usually better off with knowledge as opposed to being ignorant IMO. Thank you. Here's a thread I started about my experiences of talking Thai with BG's http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/Exper...Gir-t23709.html

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I started a thread about my thought/experiences of when it might be better to not speak Thai. http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/Thai-t25948.html . Generally speaking though you're usually better off with knowledge as opposed to being ignorant IMO. Thank you. Here's a thread I started about my experiences of talking Thai with BG's http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/Exper...Gir-t23709.html

My sentiments exactly.

Ive now read your threads. They are very good and I agree with what you've said.

• 4 months later...

Taa len\ = cheeky

Not sure if this is what you mean.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

i have been called it by a few girls. and they both spoke good english. both reckoned it meant pervert. would i be wrong in thinking this dr winston....

laa-mok or thao hua ngoo is a bit more like pervert or perverted, ta-lung is lighter and ta-lehn is lighter again.

From my understanding of it's usage, ta-lung means 'very cheeky, saucy, maybe about sex, dirty, something taboo or perhaps something that is inappropriate at the time it's spoken'.

Example, the other day some friends asked what colour my hair is, i said it's brown with a bit of blonde and red. Then one of the girls said what about your 'other' hair to which her friends said to her 'ta luuung'. I'd classify that has being cheeky but also a little dirty at the same time though not serious and just messing about, I think using the word for pervert would have been too harsh for that scenario.

edit - another good word along the same lines: ไม่มียางอาย - mai mee yang aye, which is like 'shameless', or 'aint shy!' :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by herds

• 1 month later...

Although the previous interpretations are most likely correct, there is a very similar sounding word (to Farang ears), but maybe more likely to describe a Farang with his Thai girl.

ตะลึง - dtà-leung - be dumbfound ; be stupefied ; be at a loss ; be stunned ; be nonplussed ; be taken aback ; be in a daze ; be spellbound

There is another similar sounding word that means "Great fun", but I don't know the spelling and it may be an Isaan word.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one