IGNORED

Beerfest at The Avenue on Second Road

Evil Penevil

post-9139-0-93916200-1462941937.jpg

Beerfest, a microbrewery and restaurant, has begun operation in its new premises in The Avenue shopping mall on 2nd Road.

2A.jpg

After six years of operation  on 2nd Road between Sois 5 and 6,  that restaurant closed in February. Beerfest now has spacious quarters next to Au Bon Pain in The Avenue.

post-9139-0-50923900-1462941947.jpg

The big attraction of  Beerfest is the draft beer that's brewed on site.  You can see the vats in the pic above. The new restaurant has only been open a couple of days and its still not up to full speed.  Only mass-brewed bottled beer was available - no draft of any sort  - and some of the food items on the menu (the same as the old restaurant) were marked with a "No" sticker.

post-9139-0-08724200-1462941951.jpg

When I stepped in at 8 pm Monday, there were seven other guests eating or drinking.  However, they all soon finished up and no other guests arrived during the hour or so I was  there.

post-9139-0-34311900-1462941954.jpg

It's difficult to characterize what type of restaurant Beerfest is.  The menu includes dishes from a half-dozen cuisines- Russian, German, Thai, generic European, Indian and steaks - and it's hard to pin an exact label on it.  From what I've heard, the owner is Russian and Beerfest is a Russia-based operation with branches in several countries.

post-9139-0-20165800-1462941958.jpg

My visit to Beerfest Monday night got off to a rocky start.  The SML I ordered came half-frozen and the service girl wouldn't change it out.  I'll skip the details, but I decided to drink a beer slushy rather than demand to speak with the manager.  My experience of calling managers' attention to problems while in the restaurant hasn't been all that positive in Pattaya.  The beer thawed quickly and in the end, I didn't notice any ill effects on the taste or carbonation.

post-9139-0-22919600-1462941963.jpg

I ordered two dishes: pork meatballs with mashed potatoes and gravy at 185 baht and pelmeni, Russian-style meat-filled dumplings, aka Russian ravioli or Siberian dumplings, at 150 baht.

post-9139-0-40140900-1462941966.jpg

Both the meatballs and gravy had a subtle but distinct pork flavor.  The creamy mashed potatoes were great.  The fresh potato taste came through clearly, but there was a background flavor as well, probably from a combination of butter and a little sour cream.

post-9139-0-37283900-1462941969.jpg

The meatballs were light and juicy and had been cooked just to the right point.  I couldn't tie them to any specific cuisine.  They hadn't been heavily spiced, but were well seasoned with salt and pepper. Simple but good.

post-9139-0-10131200-1462941972.jpg

The pork had been very finely minced and perhaps panko (Japanese bread crumbs) had been added as a binder. That would also help account for the meatballs' lightness.

post-9139-0-68576100-1462942206.jpg

Dumplings of any sort, Asian or European, have always been a favorite of mine and I was pleased Beerfest had pelmeni on the menu.  Pelmeni resembles mini-ravioli, except the dough covering the meat filling is paper thin.  

post-9139-0-86997400-1462942228.jpg

The filling is usually made from a mixture of beef and pork and that appeared to be the case with Beerfest's pelmeni.   It was topped with fresh dill, with gave the rather bland dumplings a good taste.  Pelmeni is traditionally served with sour cream and/or vinegar.  The sour cream was there, but no vinegar,

post-9139-0-20351100-1462942235.jpg

Beerfest also has Ukranian varenyky on the menu.  Varenyky are crescent-shaped filled dumplings that are larger than pelmeni and closer to Polish pierogis.  

post-9139-0-93623000-1462942237.jpg

Bottom line:  It's very early days for Beerfest at The Avenue and it's still experiencing some start-up hassles.  But I was happy with the meal I had and will be back in a week or so to try the draft beer as well as the varenyky and okroshka, a chilled Russian summer soup based on kvas, a beverage made from fermented bread.  According to the menu, the kvas is made on the premises.

Prices for food seem reasonable at Beerfest, with a lot of dishes under 300 baht and snack items around 100 baht.  While the menu itself isn't heavily Russianized, it's clear that it has been set up with Russian guests in mind, i.e., the emphasis on snacks and soups.  So far, it looks promising, but the draft beer will probably make or break it in the end.

Evil
devil.gif

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Great review again Mr Evil.was not aware of this place in it`s old location ,let alone the new one As you say it will probably depend on it`s beer sales whether it survives or not.. Craft beers in the UK at least are silly prices imo,but the half frozen beer not being changed would have been it for me,should not have been served in first place.cheers.

Has this replaced the pizza place at the front?

The old Beerfest seemed to cater to the Russian crowd...  From Mr E's wonderful report, that seems to not have changed...  (I'll check in a couple of weeks when I return...)...

Hope they have other than the commercial beer's when I get there...

...and out of curiosity.. I thought it was considered "illegal" to brew beer.. (if you weren't otherwise well connected)...

Thanks for the review, Mr Evil. Worth checking out on my next trip.

Much better location for many of us based in the LK Metro area.

The Avenue needs one big crowd puller to make it work.Maybe this is it?

I too had heard that this place is Russian owned.

It makes sense for them to serve a range of cuisines though.

If they just served Russian food no-one would go in there....

....probably not even the Russkies :)

...and out of curiosity.. I thought it was considered "illegal" to brew beer.. (if you weren't otherwise well connected)...

The Hopf on BR has been doing it for years.

I've only heard this, so I don't know if it is accurate or not, but the story goes that microbreweries which only sell their beer to customers at an attached bar/restaurant can obtain a license/dispensation from local authorities.  It is entirely possible that tea is a secret ingredient.

Evil

That unit used to be quite busy when it was a 300B All Seasons Buffet and I was surprised when they closed down (it was far and away the busiest restaurant in the Avenue). Presumably a victim of standard Thai rent gouging.

I cant see this new place doing the same business and I expect it will fail like most places in the Avenue seem to, sooner or later. Kiss of death, that place.

That unit used to be quite busy when it was a 300B All Seasons Buffet and I was surprised when they closed down (it was far and away the busiest restaurant in the Avenue). Presumably a victim of standard Thai rent gouging.

I cant see this new place doing the same business and I expect it will fail like most places in the Avenue seem to, sooner or later. Kiss of death, that place.

not the same unit.

the all seasons place was inside on the left.

this place is facing second rd to the right side of au bon pain and tucked in next to the baraccuda hotel (ex dusit 2)

but as you say it still may not make it !

may 7 027 (Custom).JPG

the old all seasons site at the avenue......

feb 2 004 (Custom).JPG

and brooksie the pizza place is still there

not the same unit.

this place is facing second rd to the right side of au bon pain

attachicon.gifmay 7 027 (Custom).JPG

and brooksie the pizza place is still there

Yup, as I recall, the "corner" unit which now houses Beerfest had stood empty for quite awhile, but prior to that, it had been a bookshop. Old pic from the Net; arrow marks the spot.

Captureee.jpg

Evil

Evil you just beat me, i was trying to think what was there before it was empty for some time and i came up with a bookshop !!!..............but i ain't got a pic

bookazine? something like that

Great report Evil. There are also microbrewery s in bangkok. Very very expensive. The place is very big and seems quite nice. Also a nice outdoor seating area. The food looked tasty.

It's always nice to provide things for the holiday makers. Went into Diceys once a long time ago and will probably visit here once too.

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Thanks for sharing, nice snaps.

................................................................................................................

post-9139-0-93916200-1462941937.jpg

Beer Fest, a microbrewery and restaurant, has begun operation in its new premises in The Avenue shopping mall on 2nd Road.

post-9139-0-85054300-1462941943.jpg

After six years of operation  on 2nd Road between Sois 5 and 6,  that restaurant closed in February. Beer Fest now has spacious quarters next to Au Bon Pain in The Avenue.

post-9139-0-50923900-1462941947.jpg

The big attraction of  Beer Fest is the draft beer that's brewed on site.  You can see the vats in the pic above. The new restaurant has only been open a couple of days and its still not up to full speed.  Only mass-brewed bottled beer was available - no draft of any sort  - and some of the food items on the menu (the same as the old restaurant) were marked with a "No" sticker.

post-9139-0-08724200-1462941951.jpg

When I stepped in at 8 pm Monday, there were seven other guests eating or drinking.  However, they all soon finished up and no other guests arrived during the hour or so I was  there.

post-9139-0-34311900-1462941954.jpg

It's difficult to characterize what type of restaurant Beer Fest is.  The menu includes dishes from a half-dozen cuisines- Russian, German, Thai, generic European, Indian and steaks - and it's hard to pin an exact label on it.  From what I've heard, the owner is Russian and Beer Fest is a Russia-based operation with branches in several countries.

post-9139-0-20165800-1462941958.jpg

My visit to Beer Fest Monday night got off to a rocky start.  The SML I ordered came half-frozen and the service girl wouldn't change it out.  I'll skip the details, but I decided to drink a beer slushy rather than demand to speak with the manager.  My experience of calling managers' attention to problems while in the restaurant hasn't been all that positive in Pattaya.  The beer thawed quickly and in the end, I didn't notice any ill effects on the taste or carbonation.

post-9139-0-22919600-1462941963.jpg

I ordered two dishes: pork meatballs with mashed potatoes and gravy at 185 baht and pelmeni, Russian-style meat-filled dumplings, aka Russian ravioli or Siberian dumplings, at 150 baht.

post-9139-0-40140900-1462941966.jpg

Both the meatballs and gravy had a subtle but distinct pork flavor.  The creamy mashed potatoes were great.  The fresh potato taste came through clearly, but there was a background flavor as well, probably from a combination of butter and a little sour cream.

post-9139-0-37283900-1462941969.jpg

The meatballs were light and juicy and had been cooked just to the right point.  I couldn't tie them to any specific cuisine.  They hadn't been heavily spiced, but were well seasoned with salt and pepper. Simple but good.

post-9139-0-10131200-1462941972.jpg

The pork had been very finely minced and perhaps panko (Japanese bread crumbs) had been added as a binder. That would also help account for the meatballs' lightness.

post-9139-0-68576100-1462942206.jpg

Dumplings of any sort, Asian or European, have always been a favorite of mine and I was pleased Beer Fest had pelmeni on the menu.  Pelmeni resembles mini-ravioli, except the dough covering the meat filling is paper thin.  

post-9139-0-86997400-1462942228.jpg

The filling is usually made from a mixture of beef and pork and that appeared to be the case with Beer Fest's pelmeni.   It was topped with fresh dill, with gave the rather bland dumplings a good taste.  Pelmeni is traditionally served with sour cream and/or vinegar.  The sour cream was there, but no vinegar,

post-9139-0-20351100-1462942235.jpg

Beer Fest also has Ukranian varenyky on the menu.  Varenyky are crescent-shaped filled dumplings that are larger than pelmeni and closer to Polish pierogis.  

post-9139-0-93623000-1462942237.jpg

Bottom line:  It's very early days for Beer Fest at The Avenue and it's still experiencing some start-up hassles.  But I was happy with the meal I had and will be back in a week or so to try the draft beer as well as the varenyky and okroshka, a chilled Russian summer soup based on kvas, a beverage made from fermented bread.  According to the menu, the kvas is made on the premises.

Prices for food seem reasonable at Beer Fest, with a lot of dishes under 300 baht and snack items around 100 baht.  While the menu itself isn't heavily Russianized, it's clear that it has been set up with Russian guests in mind, i.e., the emphasis on snacks and soups.  So far, it looks promising, but the draft beer will probably make or break it in the end.

Evil

devil.gif

It’s Russian, nothing “German” about it.

Even, in German the name would be written “Bierfest”, with “ie” and in one word.

Yup, as I recall, the "corner" unit which now houses Beer Fest had stood empty for quite awhile, but prior to that, it had been a bookshop. Old pic from the Net; arrow marks the spot.

attachicon.gifCaptureee.jpg

Evil

Most to the right was a bookshop indeed.

I’ve never seen customers there.

The Hopf on BR has been doing it for years.

Hopf on Beach Road is a shithole, popular with Thais and Russians.

Also nothing “German” about it.

Hopf on Beach Road is a shithole, popular with Thais and Russians.

Also nothing “German” about it.

Entitled to your opinion mate, but hopf is far from a shit hole.

Had a decent wood fired pizza in there a few months back.

Even, in German the name would be written “Bierfest”, with “ie” and in one word.

I don't think it makes any serious attempt to be authentic German...rather a German themed restaurant/bar...the prevalence of Russian dishes on the menu points to its target clientele...and it seemed to have done pretty well in Jomtien

It's good to see something a bit different in central Pattaya...and look forward to reading EP's next update...

http://beerfest-thai.com/en/main

Hooray beer!

Enjoyed beer fest in its old location made a change from the stuck up attitude in hopf will try the new location in june

As a quick aside, All Seasons Buffet is still around, they just relocated to the new Harbour Mall.

not the same unit.

this place is facing second rd to the right side of au bon pain and tucked in next to the baraccuda hotel (ex dusit 2)

Ah, I didnt even know there was an empty unit there! As the All Seasons unit has been empty/undergoing renovation for a few months I just assumed that was it.

I wonder what (if anything) will replace All Seasons?

As a quick aside, All Seasons Buffet is still around, they just relocated to the new Harbour Mall.

Yes, and the one in Central is still there too.

The one that used to be on Pratumnak closed a year or so ago, which always surprised me given the large number of Russians in the area who seem to like the All Seasons places.

It could have made a great beer bar

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

Will

give it a try in nov for sure.thanks for the report.

post-1-0-28227900-1338976307.gif

Archived