Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Start of the Cricket Season

davidge

We had our normal start to the cricket season last week not a ball bowled due to wet outfield, that's the joy of playing next to a river that floods every year ahh Worcestershire lol, the one good thing is our league starts 7th May and playing in the Cotswold hills league some of the views we get are unreal.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Losing to Leicestershire by 10 wickets is about as bad a start as possible.

Glamorgan were pretty poor in all departments.

Silly shots and run outs when batting.

Mediocre and brainless bowling.

SIX dropped catches on the second morning alone!

It's going to be a long season.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

jesus leicester dont beat anyone.......played on the flattest wicket ever when i played in wales.....pontarddullais CC.....like a road

Leicestershire had Horton, Dexter & Pettini all making debuts. They obviously decided to sign experienced batsmen and ditch the local youngsters. They also have Clint McKay and Mark Cosgrove as Captain.

My father would have played at Pontarddulais. He played for a local club side here in the 50's and 60's.

Leicestershire had Horton, Dexter & Pettini all making debuts. They obviously decided to sign experienced batsmen and ditch the local youngsters. They also have Clint McKay and Mark Cosgrove as Captain.

My father would have played at Pontarddulais. He played for a local club side here in the 50's and 60's.

Did Leicestershire find a jumper big enough to fit the fat boy Cosgrove ? 

Sounds like they are serious about promotion

Mikeyboy

Did Leicestershire find a jumper big enough to fit the fat boy Cosgrove ?

Sounds like they are serious about promotion

Mikeyboy

Cosgrove is still the same shape!

He got a good round of applause when he came out to bat as he did well when he was Glamorgan's Overseas player.

There was less applause when he was out for a duck a few balls later.

Not sure if Leicester are looking at promotion. They'll probably be happy if they don't finish last again.

They're about the only County that have been worse than Glammy over the last few years.

Cosgrove is still the same shape!

He got a good round of applause when he came out to bat as he did well when he was Glamorgan's Overseas player.

There was less applause when he was out for a duck a few calls later.

Not sure if Leicester are looking at promotion. They'll probably be happy if they don't finish last again.

They're about the only County that have been worse than Glammy over the last few years.

shame for the welsh as it only seems like yesterday when robert croft was singing with the crowd at taunton celebrating glamorgan winning the county championship!

forget that last post......we are talking about the welsh..........hahahaha

Froze yesterday. Colder today.

I do wonder how First Class cricket is going to survive - especially with the scheduling.

300-400 here yesterday. Fewer than 100 so far today.

Edit: more emerged from inside just after play started so it's around 150!

I agree with your point regarding first class cricket – although I love Cricket I have almost zero interest in our domestic league.  Outside the main international squad and fringe players I would struggle to name many of the average English county players.

Every year I watch England or occasional domestic T20 matches with a group of friends but our main interest is in international cricket.  With international cricket we are willing to take a day off work to attend but this would never happen with a county match.

It’s a tough sell as we need a strong county league to carry through a new generation of test players but hopefully T20 can be the cash cow that enables our county offering to survive.

I agree with your point regarding first class cricket – although I love Cricket I have almost zero interest in our domestic league.  Outside the main international squad and fringe players I would struggle to name many of the average English county players.

Every year I watch England or occasional domestic T20 matches with a group of friends but our main interest is in international cricket.  With international cricket we are willing to take a day off work to attend but this would never happen with a county match.

It’s a tough sell as we need a strong county league to carry through a new generation of test players but hopefully T20 can be the cash cow that enables our county offering to survive.

I would guess that without the cash that the ECB gives to each county only about 5 or 6 would survive.

Even those that get International matches wouldn't be guaranteed survival. When Glamorgan hosted the Sri Lanka Test Match in May a few years ago they lost over £1 million on the game.

Although the ECB have now changed the bidding process, Glamorgan only bid for ODI's & T20's now with the exception of Ashes Tests.

They were close to Administration last year until those holding the debts agreed to write off 80% of it. They borrowed £30 million to develop the stadium a few years ago.

Glamorgan playing at Derby in this round of matches.

This was the ground before play today:

image.jpeg

Not sure the Yorkies will get much practice done at Headingley today:

image.jpeg

Can't remember such a miserable wet/ cold start to an English Cricket season , and iv'e been a Groundsman for a long time .

Forecast from Sunday onwards is much better with temperatures up and a lot less rain / sleet / snow  , at least in the South of England .   

But we all know what weather forecasts are like ! 

Mikeyboy

• 2 weeks later...

Well , we've had a few rounds of the championship  completed now ,   Yorkshire look formidable again , may well be a long season for Glamorgan , Northants  and Surrey .

Bairstow and Root have scored big runs already and Anderson is fit and firing .   

With no James Taylor , it wouldn't suprise me if Ian Bell resumed his England career sometime this summer . 

Mikeyboy

A lot of draws so far this season. Before this round of matches only 6 out of 27 had a result, most of this round of matches look like draws as well. A lot of this is down to the weather but the new arrangements for the toss has also led to a lot of 'boring' pitches.

You're right about Glamorgan. It's going to be a VERY long season. Hogan seems to have lost a yard - and he's carried the bowling in recent years. Rudolph is awful with the bat, poor as a captain and is dropping everything in the slips. He also looks overweight.

I'm not sure that Croft has a 'vision' for the team as yet. There's been inconsistent selection & some strange decisions. I really can't understand playing without a spinner at Cardiff. We have 3 part-time seamers in the batting line-up and yet we select 4 seamers in the bowling attack and leave the spinner out!

A lot of draws so far this season. Before this round of matches only 6 out of 27 had a result, most of this round of matches look like draws as well. A lot of this is down to the weather but the new arrangements for the toss has also led to a lot of 'boring' pitches.

You're right about Glamorgan. It's going to be a VERY long season. Hogan seems to have lost a yard - and he's carried the bowling in recent years. Rudolph is awful with the bat, poor as a captain and is dropping everything in the slips. He also looks overweight.

I'm not sure that Croft has a 'vision' for the team as yet. There's been inconsistent selection & some strange decisions. I really can't understand playing without a spinner at Cardiff. We have 3 part-time seamers in the batting line-up and yet we select 4 seamers in the bowling attack and leave the spinner out!

Should always play a front line spinner on county tracks , even in april and may .  

An early season green top will always have moisture below the dry surface , which will help the spinner .

Potentially 7 seamers and no spinner in the side is folly .

Dean Cosker is still the first choice at Glamorgan ?

Mikeyboy

Should always play a front line spinner on county tracks , even in april and may .  

An early season green top will always have moisture below the dry surface , which will help the spinner .

Mikeyboy

No. Cosker only gets a look in for T20 and maybe 50-overs now.

Young off-spinner from Pembrokeshire called Andrew Salter is first choice now. He's done well since coming in - took a wicket with his first ever ball for Glamorgan at St Helens 3 or 4 years ago.

He played at Derby this season and took 3 wickets but hasn't been chosen at Cardiff yet this year.

• 3 months later...

image.jpeg

26 degrees and sunny in Cardiff today.

Whatever the weather, Glamorgan still can't bat

Mikeyboy

Cosker announced his retirement a few days ago. Not been picked this year.

Salter reduced to playing for seconds as well. Rudolph not given him a chance.

Glamorgan really need to get rid of Rudolph as captain. Unfit, not scoring runs & mediocre captain. Trouble is, no money to get anyone decent in.

Cosker announced his retirement a few days ago. Not been picked this year.

Salter reduced to playing for seconds as well. Rudolph not given him a chance.

Glamorgan really need to get rid of Rudolph as captain. Unfit, not scoring runs & mediocre captain. Trouble is, no money to get anyone decent in.

Yes , saw that on the cricket news ,  he had been at Glamorgan a long time and not getting a game must have stung .

I don't know much about Jacques Rudolph as a captain , but a spinner has to be part of the team in any 4 day contest ... 

Mikeyboy

Yes , saw that on the cricket news , he had been at Glamorgan a long time and not getting a game must have stung .

I don't know much about Jacques Rudolph as a captain , but a spinner has to be part of the team in any 4 day contest ...

Mikeyboy

Glamorgan spinners between them have taken 17 Championship wickets this season.

Rudolph has pretty much destroyed Salter's confidence.

He brought Ingram on before him (no wickets) and even himself (2 wickets). When he did bring Salter on, if he had one bad over he'd take him off and not bowl him again. Salter is now playing for the seconds.

An even younger spinner, Morgan, has played recently. Looks better with bat than ball at the moment. Looks a more defensive spinner than Salter.

Most members would be happy to see the back of Rudolph. The team look very 'flat' with him in charge.

He's only scored 500 First Class runs this year at an average of 24.

Glamorgan spinners between them have taken 17 Championship wickets this season.

Rudolph has pretty much destroyed Salter's confidence.

He brought Ingram on before him (no wickets) and even himself (2 wickets). When he did bring Salter on, if he had one bad over he'd take him off and not bowl him again. Salter is now playing for the seconds.

An even younger spinner, Morgan, has played recently. Looks better with bat than ball at the moment. Looks a more defensive spinner than Salter.

Most members would be happy to see the back of Rudolph. The team look very 'flat' with him in charge.

He's only scored 500 First Class runs this year at an average of 24.

Rudolph was pretty average when playing for South Africa ,   i despair at this focus on foreign imports over home grown talent .  

How long left on Rudolph's contract ?

On another note , my county Surrey appear to be finding form and have strung together some good results under Gareth Batty who is 42 , English , and bowling as well as any spinner in the country .

Mikeyboy

Rudolph was pretty average when playing for South Africa , i despair at this focus on foreign imports over home grown talent .

How long left on Rudolph's contract ?

On another note , my county Surrey appear to be finding form and have strung together some good results under Gareth Batty who is 42 , English , and bowling as well as any spinner in the country .

Mikeyboy

Unfortunately, Rudolph's contract doesn't finish until the end of next season.

We're very short of batsmen as well. We only played 5 in the match that ended today. Meschede & Wagg are used as all-rounders and Wallace has even opened this season. Ingram has just had a knee op & may not be fit for the start of next season.

It's a very small squad - more or less the same players in all 3 formats.

Even though 70% of the debt was written off, we are still struggling financially.

Groundsman went & assistant took over. No new assistant employed.

Coach went & Croft moved up from assistant. Again, no new assistant employed.

Doesn't look good, although a few youngsters are coming through.

Surrey have done well recently, but with only 2 games left are unlikely to win the title.

Middlesex v Yorkshire at Lords, last game of the season, could decide it.

Every chance Notts & Hants will go down.

Unfortunately, it looks like Essex will get the one promotion place from Div 2.

Not really relevant to thread but just came across this:

John Arlott's final Test Match commentary stint, 36 years ago today.

Huge difference between the hushed tones of John Arlott and the in your face , near hysteria of some of today's  " commentators "

Richie Benaud was my favourite , some of his dry observations were sublime .

Just seen the  Northants / Glamorgan scorecard  ,  grim .

Mikeyboy

Huge difference between the hushed tones of John Arlott and the in your face , near hysteria of some of today's  " commentators "

Richie Benaud was my favourite , some of his dry observations were sublime .

Just seen the  Northants / Glamorgan scorecard  ,  grim .

Mikeyboy

Grim is an understatement. The season has fallen apart completely. 2 or 3 youngsters have had the odd good performance but overall it really doesn't look good. Last home game of the season, against Gloucs, starts Tuesday. It's just a matter of if we can stay above Derbyshire or finish bottom.

I was a Benaud fan as well, and Tony Cozier. No-one really comes close now.

Archived