IGNORED

Start of the Cricket Season

davidge

First game of the season for Glamorgan.

Bright, sunny, blue skies and about 7 degrees! Brrrrrrrrr.

image.jpeg

Optimistic talk about promotion but on the evidence of the last few seasons the game against Leicestershire is more likely to be a wooden spoon decider!

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a frost in Surrey last night , my two squares and outfields are soaking wet .   It must be mid April !

Mikeyboy

Froze yesterday. Colder today.

I do wonder how First Class cricket is going to survive - especially with the scheduling.

300-400 here yesterday. Fewer than 100 so far today.

Edit: more emerged from inside just after play started so it's around 150!

What's the summer schedule this year, Pakistan &?

................................................................................................................

I'm a keen follower of the game. Although I live on the other side of the world the 3 day first class games twice a week in the UK between the counties in the old days was a great foundation of the game & the 4 day shield games in Aust were the equilivant. Now we are looking at a sport driven by commercial/TV interests that is demeaning itself by catering to the instant gratification of the modern era with 20/20 & the need for a result driven by big hitting where the bowlers have little relivance.  I  can not believe how much  other nations have caved in to the Indians because of the lure of TV & $$ because that nation is fixated on 20/20 & 50 over cricket rather than on first class & test cricket. 

www.sugarcanemafia.com

What's the summer schedule this year, Pakistan &?

Sri Lanka.

I'm a keen follower of the game. Although I live on the other side of the world the 3 day first class games twice a week in the UK between the counties in the old days was a great foundation of the game & the 4 day shield games in Aust were the equilivant. Now we are looking at a sport driven by commercial/TV interests that is demeaning itself by catering to the instant gratification of the modern era with 20/20 & the need for a result driven by big hitting where the bowlers have little relivance.  I  can not believe how much  other nations have caved in to the Indians because of the lure of TV & $$ because that nation is fixated on 20/20 & 50 over cricket rather than on first class & test cricket.

Agree.

Driven by corrupt Indian commercial interests.

I don't go to T20. More like a bloody pop concert than cricket.

Well, to be honest T-20 was the brain child of ECB as they couldn't get people to come & watch the domestic limited overs tourneys. Now T-20 leagues prevail all over the world including England, Aus, Caribbean, SA.

Like it or not it has given us stars like Warner, Finch, Bravo, Butler & many more. 

................................................................................................................

The people running cricket in the UK have been slowly destroying the county game for years.

Wonder if Yorkshire can make it an hat-trick of championship wins,it`ll take some doing but its possible,to win it last season when key players were on England duty was some feat!

Willey couldn't get into the side for this round of matches which shows their strength.

Couldn't agree more .

Although i understand the vital need for funding that the shorter games provides , Test Cricket should always be the pinnacle .  

It is hard to argue the fact that players can be paid in a 6 weeks IPL contract , the same money it would take 20 years in domestic cricket to earn .

The Indian Cricket Board  ( BCCI ) is a corrupt organisation that has a lot to answer for .

Mikeyboy

Well, to be honest T-20 was the brain child of ECB as they couldn't get people to come & watch the domestic limited overs tourneys. Now T-20 leagues prevail all over the world including England, Aus, Caribbean, SA.

Like it or not it has given us stars like Warner, Finch, Bravo, Butler & many more. 

I think the guys you mentioned would be stars regardless of 20/20

One hope i have is that playing 20 /20 garbage does not affect Joe Roots technique .   This guy has the ability to be one of the true greats of Cricket . 

Mikeyboy

Wonder if Yorkshire can make it an hat-trick of championship wins,it`ll take some doing but its possible,to win it last season when key players were on England duty was some feat!

Willey couldn't get into the side for this round of matches which shows their strength.

2nd day Yorkshire 590 odd - 9 dec.Hampshire 150 odd - 5 close of play,out of the blocks well,its a long old season though!

Cricket? Must be the start of the UK rainy season.

Was dragged to a Lancs game years ago by a work mate for a limited over thing? I remember Viv Richards was playing and he was famous then.

A gorgeous sunny day, I think 'we' won in the last over and a beer cooler full of Tetley bitter, loved it ! Never been back lol

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

The people running cricket in the UK have been slowly destroying the county game for years.

Not sure i agree with that one..... we have just stuffed the Aussies in the ashes and i have followed that up with us getting to the final of the world 20/20 cup. Imagine how the Aussies feel.......they never could cope with the P word!

Not sure i agree with that one..... we have just stuffed the Aussies in the ashes and i have followed that up with us getting to the final of the world 20/20 cup. Imagine how the Aussies feel.......they never could cope with the P word!

County game.

Different to the International set-up.

They keep on mucking about with the set-up and structure and have alienated many County members in the desperation to attract 'new people' who never actually go to a First Class game anyway.

In addition, more and more Counties redevelop their grounds in a way that make it more difficult for many people to go there. Less parking, no cover, more difficult for those with mobility difficulties. Just at a time when an ageing population and more retired people with time on their hands should make it easier for Counties to get higher attendances.

I know first hand as I take my father to cricket in a wheelchair. We always like to do an away trip or two each season but the list of places I can actually take him & get disabled parking and easy access gets shorter and shorter.

Bristol & Worcester are just 2 of the places we used to go that are no longer possible & Cardiff is more difficult than it used to be.

there are several problems with the county game and the main one is that for most counties the majority of their revenue comes from the t20 competition. 

Very few of the county sides get a decent revenue from the county championship and they tend to be the larger counties who poach the decent players from other counties (dont get me started on that one!)

I blame those big fluffy jerseys, and ITB of course

there are several problems with the county game and the main one is that for most counties the majority of their revenue comes from the t20 competition. 

Very few of the county sides get a decent revenue from the county championship and they tend to be the larger counties who poach the decent players from other counties (dont get me started on that one!)

Although Yorkshire won honours many years ago,it wasn`t until relatively modern times that they allowed non Yorkshire born players to play for them.Allowing only players born in Yorkshire to play for them was a daft policy that held them back for years.

Although Yorkshire won honours many years ago,it wasn`t until relatively modern times that they allowed non Yorkshire born players to play for them.Allowing only players born in Yorkshire to play for them was a daft policy that held them back for years.

It worked successfully in Yorkshire brass bands for decades !

lancs surrey hampshire warwicks yorkshire they are all at it.......but it doesnt matter,,,,,,,,,,we have the ashes!

It's quite a contrast with Glamorgan when you compare the 1969 Championship winning side with nearly all local players and today's side with only 4 and, effectively, 5 overseas players (though 4 qualify under Kolpak etc) and 2 from other counties.

yes that Kolpak ruling doesn't do us any favors. I like the counties who produce their own .......look at the somerset side gregory overton overton abel trescothic trego......all of em true carrot crunchers!

yes that Kolpak ruling doesn't do us any favors. I like the counties who produce their own .......look at the somerset side gregory overton overton abel trescothic trego......all of em true carrot crunchers!

Carrot crunchers  !   love it .

Mikeyboy

Archived