IGNORED

Under 300 Baht ... And Good! (updated for 2024)

Evil Penevil

On 18/11/2019 at 17:57, semi-retired member said:

UPDATE :  Went back this evening to enjoy the Massamun-Curry at Chunky Monkey, for the final meal of my trip, and lo-and-behold the price has jumped from B140 to B149, plus another extra B20 added-on for the rice ! :wink:

It had only a few potatoes this time, and was more spicy/fiery, still quite good.

I never had eaten thai food on these budget eateries but their pricing policy seems to be same as every farang food eatery. They tend to think only thai ladies eat thai food with farang eating farang food, so the pricing is way off. Massaman curry over 100bht there is no value. If you want to eat tasty thai curries, go to eat thai restaurant, not farang oriented budget restaurants.

4 hours ago, jpmelville said:

I never had eaten thai food on these budget eateries but their pricing policy seems to be same as every farang food eatery. They tend to think only thai ladies eat thai food with farang eating farang food, so the pricing is way off. Massaman curry over 100bht there is no value. If you want to eat tasty thai curries, go to eat thai restaurant, not farang oriented budget restaurants.

A fair point to make, but I find that usually the Thai dishes in the farang places are prepared with our own tastes in mind, and would personally prefer a thicker/creamier version of Massaman which contains more real meat, to the usual thinner Thai-version. 

For example a Thai chicken-curry, eaten in a UK Thai-restaurant, might also often be adapted to be slightly-less-authentic, but containing more real meat aot feet/necks/heads ?  But I do agree with you that local restaurants offer more-authentic Thai-food for less money, of course. 

One particular dislike of mine in some farang-places is 'Thai-fried-rice' which is merely white-rice with a few veggies/slivers-of-meat added, but lacking any sign of ever having seen a wok or oil & garlic.

In this particular case I simply wanted to recommend a good curry I'd had, which I hoped other farangs might also enjoy, and given the size of the portion it was definitely still good value-for-money IMO.

Edited by semi-retired member

5 hours ago, semi-retired member said:

A fair point to make, but I find that usually the Thai dishes in the farang places are prepared with our own tastes in mind, and would personally prefer a thicker/creamier version of Massaman which contains more real meat, to the usual thinner Thai-version. 

You need to eat in more Thai Restaurants IMO.

On 17/11/2019 at 19:40, Did75 said:

For information, the restaurant "My Way", which had been mentioned in this thread, is closed.

There are works in progress...

today1592832422_20nov011(Custom).JPG.ba224171af079bf7ebafea6b38f59a98.JPG

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

You need to eat in more Thai Restaurants IMO.

Living in Thailand as I do (outside Chiang Mai) I tend to view semi-annual visits to Pattaya as a chance to eat more farang-style food, as I'm sure you can understand ?  I eat in local restaurants regularly, up here.

But while I'm aware of a few popular-with-farangs Thai-owned/style restaurants (the 'tin-cup' and so on), I don't recall a specific thread on P-A, solely for Thai-owned Thai-style Thai-food ?  Perhaps you might point me at such a thread, or even start one ?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, semi-retired member said:

I don't recall a specific thread on P-A, solely for Thai-owned Thai-style Thai-food ?  Perhaps you might point me at such a thread, or even start one ?

I have often thought about starting a Thai Restaurant thread on here, and I do feel I have a lot to offer on the subject.

But, I just know it would get overrun by the 'Tin Cup' brigade.

44 minutes ago, semi-retired member said:

Living in Thailand as I do (outside Chiang Mai) I tend to view semi-annual visits to Pattaya as a chance to eat more farang-style food, as I'm sure you can understand ?  I eat in local restaurants regularly, up here.

And you can't find a decent (properly made) Mussaman in Chiang Mai?

Although, I do prefer searching for a Gaeng Hanglay when I am up north.

Edited by Taa_Saparot

7 hours ago, Taa_Saparot said:

I have often thought about starting a Thai Restaurant thread on here

18 minutes ago, Evil Penevil said:

You should definitely start a thread on Thai restaurants

I agree, I like the food/restaurant threads and if you have the knowledge Taa, it'd be great if you share it :) 

Maybe start with your top 3 Thai places or the best on Soi Buck, BR, etc

Ps, It'd be nice to have alternatives to the Tin Cup lol :P

• Like 3

On 20/11/2019 at 16:49, Taa_Saparot said:

I have often thought about starting a Thai Restaurant thread on here, and I do feel I have a lot to offer on the subject.

here's one

• Like 3

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 17:49, Taa_Saparot said:

yup , highly over rated. They have an excellent location ; that's why the LK tourist love it.

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.

On ‎21‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 00:53, Evil Penevil said:

So please start a thread on Thai restaurants.  You'd be doing everyone a favor.

I think its pretty tough to start and keep on track on a thread like that. Thai food in Thailand is just called ..... food! :)

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.

3 hours ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

I think its pretty tough to start and keep on track on a thread like that. Thai food in Thailand is just called ..... food! :)

Not to the Guys who give a detailed review of their dish, along with "Wifie enjoyed her Thai Food" :wink:

Any word on My Way?  Is it just a temporary closure for renovation or has it been sold and will become a different restaurant?  I hope My Way will remain; it has consistently turned out good food for years.  It was definitely one of my "go to" restaurants for farang food.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Just now, Evil Penevil said:

Any word on My Way?  Is it just a temporary closure for renovation or has it been sold and will become a different restaurant?  I hope My Way will remain; it has consistently turned out good food for years.  It was definitely one of my "go to" restaurants for farang food.

Evil

872089387_20nov011(Custom).JPG.3941ee537e3dae51583b258d16d87e58.JPG

i took this nov 20 th. looks to me like a fast re-fit/tidy up.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, striderman said:

Thank you!  That's what I hope it is.  In the past, My Way has closed a few times for a week or more  because of a family-related matter and renovations were done during  the closure.

Evil

today1592832422_20nov011(Custom).JPG.ba224171af079bf7ebafea6b38f59a98.JPG

I sure hope that the all of the construction noise and dirt doesn’t bother all the nice tailors sitting around next door and across the way.

They're so into their cellphones that they never even bother to look up and perhaps invite a customer into their shops.

On 22/11/2019 at 18:31, striderman said:

872089387_20nov011(Custom).JPG.3941ee537e3dae51583b258d16d87e58.JPG

Hope it's not closing. The Steak set here is great with fried potatoes and salad.

• Like 3

Just a Welshman living the dream in BKK

6 hours ago, MrJ200 said:

Hope it's not closing. The Steak set here is great with fried potatoes and salad.

IMG_20181030_222012.thumb.jpg.130026dcc37b23b7d8a513fafc387049.jpg

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

Just now, MrJ200 said:

i went by today and had a daytime look at my way. the windows and door had been reinstated and although it did not look ready to trade i'm still pretty certain it is a refit

48 minutes ago, striderman said:

i went by today and had a daytime look at my way. the windows and door had been reinstated and although it did not look ready to trade i'm still pretty certain it is a refit

downloadab.jpg.0b4b2bbccc5c139ae900ab4c85f796a6.jpg  That's what I wanted to hear!

Evil

On 18/11/2019 at 10:57, semi-retired member said:

UPDATE :  Went back this evening to enjoy the Massamun-Curry at Chunky Monkey, for the final meal of my trip, and lo-and-behold the price has jumped from B140 to B149, plus another extra B20 added-on for the rice ! :wink:

It had only a few potatoes this time, and was more spicy/fiery, still quite good.

And Hungry Hippo has added B10 to its Sunday-roasts, and the B99-full-English is now B109, too.  :o

I guess high-season has arrived, in their minds at-least, time to go home !  :rolleyes:

Walter ? Is that you ? :Laugh1:

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

Who's Walter ? :Dunno1:

No, I'm me, and my name isn't Walter, never has been, either. :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, MrJ200 said:

The rumour was that Longhorn Steakhouse was extending into My Way.

16 minutes ago, ingo67 said:

The rumour was that Longhorn Steakhouse was extending into My Way.

sadb.jpg.9813e494bc7b886cbaec61338d6922a2.jpg  Let's hope the rumor is false.

Evil