IGNORED

Thai Workers and Work Schedules

CDMG

I got a random question for here.

Do Thai workers make up their own hours?

I got two friends that basically work their own hours but not owner or manager of business.

I got a homegirl (non-bargirl I think) who works for a restaurant who basically has a variable schedule between 9am-12am and can come in anytime between those hours. And it takes her an hour to do makeup there but that is another topic.

And my good friend Pea works for one of the hotels in Pattaya (think Penthouse) and he has one too. But he says that as long as one of his coworker covers his hours, he can come in anytime.

In the West, everyone has own hours and we come in at that time no negotiation LOL. Is it different in Thailand?

OCTOBER 2011 - THE APPRENTICE ---NOVEMBER 2012 - THE REVENGE ---JUNE 2014 - THE CHALLENGE (CANX) ---JULY 2015 - THE REDEMPTION

CountdownClockCodes.com

hotels, restaurants, convenience stores, etc have set shifts. They alternate shifts every few weeks to a month. Bar girls even have to be on time or they get cut.

Your friends are probably supposed to be working regular hours, but This Being Thailand, they just show up to work whenever they feel like it. :LOL2: Mai pen rai.

The difference is that in Thailand there are foreigners to believe crazy stories...

Thai workers work their asses off for shit money, and work long hours......sucks..       Bar girls work their asses off in the loom, and get good money, but that job really sucks for most of them

There is an old guy I know, that has a girlfriend that he buys everything for her, and has given her so much money I wont post it cause no one will believe it,  anyone here could retire on it.  She visits him in the daytime in his her nice, new, car, good girl

He says he cant see her at night becasue she is a nurse and works the night shift, all night and never gets a day off.     Poor guy, we dont have the heart nor Desire to tell him. 

Your friends are probably supposed to be working regular hours, but This Being Thailand, they just show up to work whenever they feel like it

In reality Thais work their asses off in jobs that would be illegal in the west due to the grinding conditions and long hours ....and they have sweet fuck all to show for it once they've paid basic living costs.

Working schedules seem set to me.

Usually 8 to 12 hour days with 1 day off a week.

yes but many on two or thee days off a month

I know someone who works in a bkk hospital on 21hr shift pattern and another who works in a bkk factory who does 24hr shifts.  Neither of them have a pot to piss in so Thais working fewer hours must be getting support from somewhere else or have fewer responsibilities.

I know someone who works in a bkk hospital on 21hr shift pattern and another who works in a bkk factory who does 24hr shifts.  Neither of them have a pot to piss in so Thais working fewer hours must be getting support from somewhere else or have fewer responsibilities.

Very interesting, considering the unemployment rate in Thailand hovers around 0.80%.

What fool would work 24 hours shifts for little money?

Very interesting, considering the unemployment rate in Thailand hovers around 0.80%.

What fool would work 24 hours shifts for little money?

Not sure why the unemployment rate is relevant?

It probably seems foolish to a farang surrounded by opportunity ...but in reality their options are limited so it's what they have to do to survive and support their families.

Not sure why the unemployment rate is relevant?

It probably seems foolish to a farang surrounded by opportunity ...but in reality their options are limited so it's what they have to do to survive and support their families.

It's relevant because there are jobs galore. 

My friend owns 3 beauty supply shops and she finds it almost impossible to keep all of the positions filled. When the girls realize they have to learn all of the specs about each and every product, they usually take off for something "easier."

As if working in an air conditioned shop is too much to ask. 

Working 24 hours a day in a factory? Foolish.

My friend owns 3 beauty supply shops and she finds it almost impossible to keep all of the positions filled. When the girls realize they have to learn all of the specs about each and every product, they usually take off for something "easier."

Happens all the time. The guys who think Thais "work their asses off" have probably never employed any. The lovely girl who runs the Pattaya job centre told me all Thais are lazy and the girls would rather work bar. That's a Thai opinion on other Thais.

If you think everybody currently working in Thai factories can go off to work in beauty saloons ....it might be you that's being foolish.

If this was even possible(which it's not) then factories would be forced to offer higher wages to attract staff because no one would want to work under those conditions(if alternatives existed).

By the same logic all the Thai farms and every other menial low paid & dirty, difficult job would be vacant as well.

Maybe you should get out of Pattaya more and go into the Thai only areas to see how normal Thais are living ...it might be an eye opener for you.

Although, I'm slightly confused how someone like yourself whose involved with businesses in Thailand doesn't understand these basic economic realities and instead chooses to call everybody who works in factory "foolish".  You sound like the usual patronising farang looking down on Thais without taking the time to understand the difficulties they face?

Yes, I know who you are, but I've never been a fan of sycophancy.

Happens all the time. The guys who think Thais "work their asses off" have probably never employed any. The lovely girl who runs the Pattaya job centre told me all Thais are lazy and the girls would rather work bar. That's a Thai opinion on other Thais.

I employ 3 Thai girls in the Uk, my experience is very different. They are all very reliable , punctual and very hard working.

have Thai lady friend who is a receptionist in a factory in BKK. She earns 9000 baht mth gets 1 day off a week 10 hr shifts

if you do the math its about 300bht a day.Not for me.... :Surrender1: :Surrender1:       

someone told you.....hmmm now someone else will from experience

i deal with a gardener

a pool man

a maintenance man

an air conditioning man

a maid

a village manager

everyone honest and all great workers

someone told you.....hmmm now someone else will from experience

i deal with a gardener

a pool man

a maintenance man

an air conditioning man

a maid

a village manager

everyone honest and all great workers

Wow, 6 people! You obviously do have far more experience than a professional Thai recruitment expert.

Wow, 6 people! You obviously do have far more experience than a professional Thai recruitment expert.

:LOL2: Maybe your 'professional Thai recruitment expert' is lazy and just said that to get the silly annoying farang to go away.  :Dunno: 

:LOL2: Maybe your 'professional Thai recruitment expert' is lazy and just said that to get the silly annoying farang to go away.   :Dunno:

Maybe you simply don't know her or how long she has been in business in Pattaya?

Maybe you didn't even know there IS a job centre in Pattaya.

What was your point again and how is it relevant? 

you only talked with one and I talked to 6 so I win dude.     There is always I heard, someone told me and so on.   Get out there and hire someone and see for yourself.    I go past so many construction site and boys and girls working hard for shit money, yet you want to trash em........

if it makes you feel good to call the hard workers lazy....go for it......I suspect you would last an hour in one of those sites

Do Thai workers make up their own hours?

I just bought yet another Western Digital hard drive "Made in Thailand". Some of the finest car brands in the world (ie Japanese) have manufacturing plants in Thailand. Medical tourists and expats living in LOS find top notch health care at costs a fraction of what it would be in their home countries. 

One might suggest that those people complaining about "work ethics", "inability to take direction", etc, are dealing with a different group of people than those working in thriving, constructive industries in Thailand. 

have Thai lady friend who is a receptionist in a factory in BKK. She earns 9000 baht mth gets 1 day off a week 10 hr shifts

if you do the math its about 300bht a day.Not for me.... :Surrender1: :Surrender1:       

I know a similar situation, Thai woman I know works as a machinist in a printing/media factory in BKK .  Gets 40 baht per hour, works 8 hours a day, 6 days a week. So 320 baht a day for a standard shift. With overtime she reckons she earns just under 10k a month.   She is a real good looker and could earn much more in the P2P business but is not interested.

But later this month she's having a well deserved holiday ... by coincidence I'll just happen to be in BKK and Pats and other places at the same time.  :GoldenSmile1:

Most business no matter what country you are in need fixed hours , it is another think if the staff show up on time or not. The minimum wage in Thailand now is 300 baht per day , from what I understand from a thai friend who has a masters degree so is very well educated she said this was a huge step forward for the working people of Thailand  . in her opinion 300 baht a day for construction workers and manufacturing workers is a fair deal at the moment but will rise in the near future. she tells me a lot of workers get more than the minimum daily rate and get paid OT also  . she has been to the thai labour courts many times to defend the rights of workers who have been under paid and been unfairly dismissed  . she tells me the days of underpaying workers in sweat shops is long gone . she also mentioned to me that thai workers get more religious and public holidays per year than any European country so the 1 day a week off rule combined with all other holidays add up to a lot over the working year . but like any other country you get hard workers and lazy people , I know a nurse in prasat hospital who works a minimum of 12 hours per day and she is one of the nurses union reps , I asked her why she has to work so many hours and her answer was the hospital is understaffed so she wants to help as much as she can . and she gets OT after the first 8 hours .

you only talked with one and I talked to 6 so I win dude.     There is always I heard, someone told me and so on.   Get out there and hire someone and see for yourself.    I go past so many construction site and boys and girls working hard for shit money, yet you want to trash em........

if it makes you feel good to call the hard workers lazy....go for it......I suspect you would last an hour in one of those sites

I've had 3 businesses in Thailand and employed plenty of Thai staff, 25 at one point in one business alone. I have seen for myself, shouldn't just assume you know it all should you?

Have you seen how slow those workers actually move on site? Yes I know how hot it is but THEY wouldn't last an hour on a UK site where I used to work in excess of 70 hours a week regularly. See what happens when you assume other things too?

Who actually "trashed" them? Me or the lady in the jobcentre?

Who called them "lazy"? Me or the lady in the jobcentre?

Your ability to comprehend the written word is as poor as your assumptions. 

Archived