IGNORED

Retirementt visa - in need of an idiots guide!

chazzer

so is a non O different from a non OA?

Apparently yes.

Looking a little further it appears that a Non-O is for various reasons but NOT "retirement",,,,, according to THIS site the Non O-A is for the retirement option.

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that most people say it's easier and cheaper to get an O-A visa in Thailand than in your own country, but it's not quite that simple.

For one thing, if you do it in England, you submit details of UK funds, not Thai, so you can delay bringing the 800,000 Baht over until you need your first extension. That could save you a few hundred quid in lost interest.

For another thing, I personally will find it easier to get all the required papers together in England. Pop into my doctor, talk to the receptionist, pay some money, and pick up the signed form the next day. Police check is done online. Pop into my local solicitor to get everything authenticated, then a trip to my local post office to post it and that should be it. That seems a lot easier to me than running around getting a letter from my Thai bank, tracking down my landlady and trying to get her to understand what it is that I need from her, and then dealing with the mob at Jomtien immigration.

It may cost a little more but seems well worth it to me.

I know that most people say it's easier and cheaper to get an O-A visa in Thailand than in your own country, but it's not quite that simple.

For one thing, if you do it in England, you submit details of UK funds, not Thai, so you can delay bringing the 800,000 Baht over until you need your first extension. That could save you a few hundred quid in lost interest.

For another thing, I personally will find it easier to get all the required papers together in England. Pop into my doctor, talk to the receptionist, pay some money, and pick up the signed form the next day. Police check is done online. Pop into my local solicitor to get everything authenticated, then a trip to my local post office to post it and that should be it. That seems a lot easier to me than running around getting a letter from my Thai bank, tracking down my landlady and trying to get her to understand what it is that I need from her, and then dealing with the mob at Jomtien immigration.

It may cost a little more but seems well worth it to me.

Here in Thailand there is NO requirement to "pop in to the doctor" NOR is there any need for a police report. You may "pop in" to your doctor but that's not quite as easy as it sounds in the USA. Same thing with the police report. And no need to "pop in" to a lawyer either. And thank God. Who knows how much a lawyer would charge just for his 5 minutes and signature(s) ???  :Attitude:

There IS a need to post proof of funds or income but I believe the funds must be IN your Thai Bank for at least 2 months before they consider it proof (getting your Non-O in Thailand). Not sure about when you apply in your country.

So, bottom line, up to you ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  :YeahThat1:

What sulu said plus the 800k, once you have an Extension of stay, can be used for living costs so you don't need to bring any more in for as long as that lasts and if you don't want to spend you can get interest here too.

Yes, it needs to be there again next time, whichever way you do it.

If you come in on a one year multi entry O visa (assuming you qualify) you've got a year or so to sort everything out anyway and if you have a utilities bill (eg internet) in your name by then you don't need to bother your landlady for address proof.

got my first one in Hawaii, easy and then all done with.   I didn't have to search around for stuff here, especially since I didn't know anyone or have these sites to help.   When I brought a one way ticket, they required me to do two way or show the retirement visa

You're actually talking about two different things.

Non- OA Visa - 1 year entry stamp. Multiple entry visa. No re-entry permit needed if going in and out.

or

Extension of Stay (Retirement) - 1 year extension of stay. re-entry permit needed if leaving Thailand or it is lost on exit.

The Non-OA cannot be done in Thailand, only in home country

Extension of stay (Retirement) is done in Thailand. Needs a Non-O as a starting point. (can convert Tourist visa or exempt entry to Non-O at BKK Imm.)

The paperwork for the extension of stay is easier that the Non-OA.

I admit being confused about the Non O-A and the Non O. In fact, at thaiembassy they do not even mention which you have to get or what the difference is. It appears though, if you check my later post that the Non O-A is the visa for "retirement". Non O is something else, apparently "family related .

If you do the Non O-A in, e.g. the USA, the Thai Embassy requires you have to get a "police report", presumably from your local police, AND a Medical Certificate as part of the paperwork you must send in to the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. One MUST go to (or send to) the EMBASSY; a consulate (as in Miami) cannot do it. They claim it takes about 2 weeks to process and return the Non O, presumably with the Retirement extension/provisions/whatever,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I you are already IN Thailand, as you mention, you can convert your Tourist Visa to a Non O-A and then get the retirement extension.

In order to convert the TV into a Non O-A you MUST apply for it at least 15 days prior to the expiration of your current "permission to stay". Otherwise Thai Imm will not accept the paperwork. i.e. Leave the country, come back in and THEN apply for the Non O-A.

I am assuming those 15 days are necessary for the Thai government to check THEIR records to see if you're persona non grata or if they'll grant the Non O-A.

Reportedly, if you have ALL the paperwork together and you're outside the 15 days you can go to Jomtien and they will send the paperwork to Bangkok for you - I expect one should allow a bit more than the 15 days though if one chooses this option.

What was NOT clear to me when I tried for the Non O-A, since I was LESS THAN 15 days to expiration of "permission to stay", was whether or not one can apply for the Non O-A AND the "retirement extension" at the same time or whether you first get the Non O-A and then, or even along with, apply and receive the "retirement extension".

Neither the ex-pats website, which someone gave a link to elsewhere on this site, NOR anyplace else I could find mentions this 15 day minimum window that must be met. I even sent an email to that ex-pat site saying as much and received no answer. 

so is a non O different from a non OA?

After several lengthy emails to pattayacityexpatsclub, and many thanks to "Darrel", I think (OK, make that hope) I have the whole picture.

Goolabert is correct, I just don't think he went far enough explaining.

Everything I said in my post IS correct EXCEPT for the terminology "Non O" vs. "Non OA".

The Non OA, as Gool mentioned, is ONLY available in your home country. Thailand does not issue the Non OA, only the Non O.

In your HOME COUNTRY* you can get either a Non O or a Non OA. The Non O is good for 90 days and you can get a retirement extension in Thailand. The Non OA is FOR retirement purposes and gives you a 1 year stay in Thailand and you must report every 90 days to immigration. No leaving the country and re-entering without obtaining re-rentry permits**. Towards the end of that 1 year you must apply for an extension for another year. There is NO mention of a "Retirement Extension" Thai Embassy Washington DC

The paperwork requirements have been spelled out earlier (Income, police report, medical check, etc) and must be provided in your home country for the Non OA. Non OA cost is $200 USD

* - MY home country is the USA. I believe most "Western" countries have similar, possibly even identical requirements but you have to check.

** - Darrel, from expats, states the Non OA is a multiple entry visa and one can come and go whenever he/she feels like it. The page I linked to however, clearly states "During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void."

Things change, apparently more quickly in Thailand that some other places - in any case one can check that later (I guess)

In Thailand, you can convert your Tourist Visa to a Non O only. As above Thailand does not issue a NON OA, Once you have the Non O you then apply for the retirement extension.

The Non O is good for 90 days. Anytime during that 90 days you may apply for a 1 year "Retirement Extension" giving you a TOTAL of (roughly) 15 months during which you must report to immigration every 90 days. Just before the 15 months expires you go to Jomtien and request an additional year. 

You MAY apply for BOTH the Non O and the retirement extension at the same time. ALL application paperwork MUST be done in Bangkok HOWEVER, as mentioned earlier, if you have ALL your paperwork together ALONG WITH YOUR PASSPORT you can take it all to Jomtien and they will forward it onto Bangkok for you and notify you when it returns when you will pick it up in Jomtien as well. Total cost 3900 Baht.

As mentioned earlier this MUST be at least 15 calendar days before your current "permission to stay", in whatever form that is, expires. That is the Bangkok requirement so if you hand in your paperwork at Jomtien I would add a few days at least.

Darrel tells me that if your paperwork does NOT come back by the end of your permission to stay you need only show some "confirmation/receipts", that Jomtien will give you when you hand in the paperwork. That will suffice until your paperwork comes back should you be questioned by authorities for any reason.

The same documentation as required in your home country is required in Thailand EXCEPT for the police report and medical check.

I think that pretty much covers it (Hope so).

Hope this helps.

another question for this "Idiot's Guide"...

Does anybody have a walkthru for the Bangkok Immigration office? 

- What to expect? and

- Where is it? and

- is there a nice copy shop which will help assure the paperwork is in order (like the one near the Jontien office?)...

TIA (Thanks in Advance...)..

After several lengthy emails to pattayacityexpatsclub, and many thanks to "Darrel", I think (OK, make that hope) I have the whole picture.

Goolabert is correct, I just don't think he went far enough explaining.

Everything I said in my post IS correct EXCEPT for the terminology "Non O" vs. "Non OA".

The Non OA, as Gool mentioned, is ONLY available in your home country. Thailand does not issue the Non OA, only the Non O.

In your HOME COUNTRY* you can get either a Non O or a Non OA. The Non O is good for 90 days and you can get a retirement extension in Thailand. The Non OA is FOR retirement purposes and gives you a 1 year stay in Thailand and you must report every 90 days to immigration. No leaving the country and re-entering without obtaining re-rentry permits**. Towards the end of that 1 year you must apply for an extension for another year. There is NO mention of a "Retirement Extension" Thai Embassy Washington DC

The paperwork requirements have been spelled out earlier (Income, police report, medical check, etc) and must be provided in your home country for the Non OA. Non OA cost is $200 USD

* - MY home country is the USA. I believe most "Western" countries have similar, possibly even identical requirements but you have to check.

** - Darrel, from expats, states the Non OA is a multiple entry visa and one can come and go whenever he/she feels like it. The page I linked to however, clearly states "During the one-year period, if he or she wishes to leave and re-enter the country, he or she is required to apply at the Immigration office for re-entry permit (single or multiple) before departure. In the case of leaving the country without a re-entry permit, the permit to stay for 1 year shall be considered void."

Things change, apparently more quickly in Thailand that some other places - in any case one can check that later (I guess)

In Thailand, you can convert your Tourist Visa to a Non O only. As above Thailand does not issue a NON OA, Once you have the Non O you then apply for the retirement extension.

The Non O is good for 90 days. Anytime during that 90 days you may apply for a 1 year "Retirement Extension" giving you a TOTAL of (roughly) 15 months during which you must report to immigration every 90 days. Just before the 15 months expires you go to Jomtien and request an additional year. 

You MAY apply for BOTH the Non O and the retirement extension at the same time. ALL application paperwork MUST be done in Bangkok HOWEVER, as mentioned earlier, if you have ALL your paperwork together ALONG WITH YOUR PASSPORT you can take it all to Jomtien and they will forward it onto Bangkok for you and notify you when it returns when you will pick it up in Jomtien as well. Total cost 3900 Baht.

As mentioned earlier this MUST be at least 15 calendar days before your current "permission to stay", in whatever form that is, expires. That is the Bangkok requirement so if you hand in your paperwork at Jomtien I would add a few days at least.

Darrel tells me that if your paperwork does NOT come back by the end of your permission to stay you need only show some "confirmation/receipts", that Jomtien will give you when you hand in the paperwork. That will suffice until your paperwork comes back should you be questioned by authorities for any reason.

The same documentation as required in your home country is required in Thailand EXCEPT for the police report and medical check.

I think that pretty much covers it (Hope so).

Hope this helps.

thank you so much for your precise reply......if this idiot is better informed now!

thank you so much for your precise reply......if this idiot is better informed now!

Glad to help.

Unfortunately there's a new wrinkle,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In Thailand

I believe the Thai Embassy site says something like "different jurisdictions may ask for additional paperwork" (or some such).

Jomtien asked me for,,,,,,,,,, a COPY of the ID card of the condo owner I am renting from, COPY of the "Book House of Owner", a letter from the condo (presumably that I AM actually staying there), COPY "Book House that you rent" (not sure how that is different from the lease, which I DID have with me), and a MAP (presumably of the condo's location (unbelievable))

ALSO something new.

My financial proof letter was from January. While it is still good for 6 months, apparently, just now in March, the Thai Department of Consular Operations needs to be visited by you IN PERSON with your passport so they can put a stamp on the BACK of that same financial proof letter.

Without this stamp Jomtien wouldn't process my paperwork. I can only assume Bangkok Immigration would not either. Thankfully, (for other anyway since I have to back up there now) Consular Operations is in another part of the Bangkok Immigration Complex.

However, to get this stamp one must come back the following day. For an additional fee you can get "express service" and get the stamp is about 3 HOURS.

In your HOME COUNTRY* you can get either a Non O or a Non OA. The Non O is good for 90 days and you can get a retirement extension in Thailand. .....................................

Re' the Non O from your home country, the wording seems to have changed since the last time I looked.

I thought there was an option for over 50s to get one (other than married/relatives or voluntary work).

Now for UK it says only for those in receipt of state pension (ie 65+).

For US there is no other option.

Coming in on a SETV and converting to Non O here seems to be the only option for most retirees under 65 now?

Re' the Non O from your home country, the wording seems to have changed since the last time I looked.

I thought there was an option for over 50s to get one (other than married/relatives or voluntary work).

Now for UK it says only for those in receipt of state pension (ie 65+).

For US there is no other option.

Coming in on a SETV and converting to Non O here seems to be the only option for most retirees under 65 now?

Just looked at the UK site. For Non O-A (retirement) still looks like 50,,,,,,,,,,,

Just looked at the UK site. For Non O-A (retirement) still looks like 50,,,,,,,,,,,

Yes of course....talking about non O.

• 5 weeks later...

the proof of money in bank account......does have to be deposited in a thai bank or can it be in you normal western bank such as Barclays.

the proof of money in bank account......does have to be deposited in a thai bank or can it be in you normal western bank such as Barclays.

Thai.

It appears to be getting more difficult to open an account though.

I went into a Kasikorn branch today and tried to open a new account (I've had one for nearly 10 years) but the lady was insistent that I needed a Work Permit - new regulations.

I told her that I can't work on a Retirement Visa and she said then you cannot.

I asked if I could transfer my existing account to her branch - same same because new account.

At one point she was suggesting that I could open one if I paid 15k insurance but I gave up.

Point being, there seems to be a Catch 22 - how do you seed your money if you don't have a Thai bank account already?

Thai.

I went into a Kasikorn branch today and tried to open a new account (I've had one for nearly 10 years) but the lady was insistent that I needed a Work Permit - new regulations.

I told her that I can't work on a Retirement Visa and she said then you cannot.

I asked if I could transfer my existing account to her branch - same same because new account.

At one point she was suggesting that I could open one if I paid 15k insurance but I gave up.

Point being, there seems to be a Catch 22 - how do you seed your money if you don't have a Thai bank account already?

Each bank branch makes up their own rules...  Do not expect the rules applied to one branch to be the same at another branch...  I went to several Banks and some wanted work permit, some wanted 1 yr visa, etc, etc...

Having said that...

I went to Bangkok Bank recently (1 month ago - March)... All they want is a residency certificate and your passport...  So easy...

To get the residency certificate, I got a letter from my hotel... combined with filling out a simple form...  got 2 passport pictures... then went to Jontien Immigration...  Go to the copy shop next to immigration and they will sort out the paperwork and necessary copies...

http://pattayaguide.org/the-immigration-office-in-pattaya-pattaya-guide

Take the residency cert and your passport to a Bangkok Bank branch and you should be set...

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

Same same experience as Edge with Kasikorn late last year. 

I got similar problems a few months ago at Kasikorn branch near Tukcom, even if I already had 2 different accounts there. At the end they agreed to open a new one by giving them - instead of a work permit - a letter "address certification" from Jomtien Immigration. Surely not as easy as it used to be...

I got similar problems a few months ago at Kasikorn branch near Tukcom, even if I already had 2 different accounts there. At the end they agreed to open a new one by giving them - instead of a work permit - a letter "address certification" from Jomtien Immigration. Surely not as easy as it used to be...

TBH it wasn't that important and she wore me down.

I just moved home and had to change address at Jomtien (upstairs routine - must've thought I was Jerry) get direct debits stopped and change address at Kasikorn for my existing, so I'd had enough that day.

I've heard of the Residence Certificate working at Bangkok, so I'll probably try that once I feel stronger and tell them Oukiva said it's OK.   :WinkGrin1:

Same same experience as Edge with Kasikorn late last year. 

Did you try a Residence Certificate?

Got my Kbank account with my passport and the wife vouching for me [emoji23]

This year?

Did you try a Residence Certificate?

No - haven't got one. 

Last year.

New rules this year is what theyre saying....not same before.

No - haven't got one.

555 only 300 Baht....think Ill try it in a few weeks.

Archived