Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Retirement visa from australia

wangotango

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about obtaining a retirement visa in around a years time, Do you need to be in Thailand to get one ? Or can I apply at consulate in Adelaide>
?

keeping the dream alive !!!

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about obtaining a retirement visa in around a years time, Do you need to be in Thailand to get one ? Or can I apply at consulate in Adelaide>

?

Unless you are lucky to get a person who has recently used the consulate in Adelaide you are best to contact them and ask them what they will issue and their requirements. I know it should be standard but it isn't (particularly the requirements).

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Unless you are lucky to get a person who has recently used the consulate in Adelaide you are best to contact them and ask them what they will issue and their requirements. I know it should be standard but it isn't (particularly the requireme

Thanks Scumbag , I'll start enquiring when I get back to oz. I'm in Pattaya till 20th

• 3 weeks later...

Unless you are lucky to get a person who has recently used the consulate in Adelaide you are best to contact them and ask them what they will issue and their requirements. I know it should be standard but it isn't (particularly the requirements).

Since posting this I have found out that only the embassy in Canberra has the authority to issue retirement visas. The documents required includes a police clearance and medical clearance. It would be easier to go on a tourist visa and do what is required after you get to Thailand.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Just to clarify a few things for those not fully in the know: There are 3 separate things that people commonly refer to as a 'retirement visa', and that can cause some confusion. Especially as none of them are really a 'retirement visa'.

First there is a "Non-Immigrant O-A visa". This is a visa that grants a one year permission to stay, and unlimited re-entries. It can only be applied for, and issued from, an embassy or consulate in the applicant's home country. Various consulates can have widely varying requirements for this visa, and in some places it is pretty hard to get one.

Then there is the "Non-Immigrant O visa", this visa grants a 3 month permission to stay, but no re-entry permission*.  This visa is usually much easier to get, but some western consulates do not offer them. Lots of consulates in countries close to Thailand offer them, such as Cambodia, Laos, and Malaysia. Also, a tourist visa, or even a 30 day visa wavier entry stamp, can be converted into an O visa while in Thailand, so long as one applies for the conversion while there are still 15 days or more left on the permission to stay granted by the visa/wavier stamp.

The 3rd thing often referred to as a 'retirement visa' is the one year permission to stay stamp granted by an "Extension for reasons of Retirement". This is a one year extension of your permission to stay with no re-entry permission*. One has to be in Thailand on a permission to stay from an O or an O-A visa to apply for this extension. (This is why one goes through the process of 'converting' one's Tourist visa/waiver.) You can apply for the extension as early as 30 days before the current permission to stay expires.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

*Re-entry permits can be purchased separately in order to travel out of Thailand and return without ending one's permission to stay.

Then there is the "Non-Immigrant O visa", this visa grants a 3 month permission to stay, but no re-entry permission*.  This visa is usually much easier to get, but some western consulates do not offer them. Lots of consulates in countries close to Thailand offer them, such as Cambodia, Laos, and Malaysia. Also, a tourist visa, or even a 30 day visa wavier entry stamp, can be converted into an O visa while in Thailand, so long as one applies for the conversion while there are still 15 days or more left on the permission to stay granted by the visa/wavier stamp.

This visa is not a retirement visa. It is a visa used to visit family in Thailand and sometimes called a spouse visa. In the past some consulates would issue them to anyone who asked for them making them a good way to start retirement in Thailand. However, I think they have clamped down on the practice.

The visa is also available as a 1 year multiple entry visa (each stay up to 90 days). This is the way that I stay in Thailand.

This visa is not a retirement visa. It is a visa used to visit family in Thailand and sometimes called a spouse visa. In the past some consulates would issue them to anyone who asked for them making them a good way to start retirement in Thailand. However, I think they have clamped down on the practice.

The visa is also available as a 1 year multiple entry visa (each stay up to 90 days). This is the way that I stay in Thailand.

The non-imm O visa covers lots of things. Marriage, visiting children or other relatives, and also retirement. It is the visa that most retirees are using, because getting the OA visa is usually a pain in the ass. It is the visa I have, and I just got my first one year extension last week.

As I understand it the OA visa is the same, it can also be applied for under the Marriage rules, or the visiting family rules too, depending on the consulate.

People use the phrase 'retirement visa' all the time referring to all 3 of the things I listed, despite the fact that none of them are really a retirement visa, and it causes confusion.

The visa you are on, where do you apply for a new one each year? It sounds like an OA visa. sort of.

I got a non- immigrant O-A visa in Sydney , multiple entry, $225 + $440 notary fee, $45 police clearance, you can make it last for 2 years if you re-entry just before the enter before date, which I doneImageUploadedByTapatalk1450852011.138488.jpg

Since posting this I have found out that only the embassy in Canberra has the authority to issue retirement visas. The documents required includes a police clearance and medical clearance. It would be easier to go on a tourist visa and do what is required after you get to Thailand.

I asked the Consulate in Sydney and they advised to get an O A Visa for 3 months and convert to a retirement visa in LOS on the reasons you have said above.

cheers

I looked at apply in Oz for "retirement visa". However, overall I found it much easier to apply in country. Unless you live close to embassy that would be my suggestion.

I asked the Consulate in Sydney and they advised to get an O A Visa for 3 months and convert to a retirement visa in LOS on the reasons you have said above.

cheers

..but the O-A is the retirement visa and if what I read it correct only the embassy in Canberra has authority to issue them. I don't know when this changed as it hasn't always been this way.

So, if you go the route of applying in your home country ( Australia in my case ) do you still need to have the required funds in a Thai Bank , or just need to prove to the Embassy that u have the funds, and/or income,pension, fund combination. And then have that all in place for your first extension.

Ive been in Phils 3 years, with 2 trips in that time to Thailand. Thinking of making a more permanent move.

My plan to finish up here, head back to OZ , catch up with family etc, update banking ,and do the visa , police clearance etc.

Man these Thai visa,s are complicated, or perhaps Im just overthinking :)

So, if you go the route of applying in your home country ( Australia in my case ) do you still need to have the required funds in a Thai Bank , or just need to prove to the Embassy that u have the funds, and/or income,pension, fund combination. And then have that all in place for your first extension.

Ive been in Phils 3 years, with 2 trips in that time to Thailand. Thinking of making a more permanent move.

My plan to finish up here, head back to OZ , catch up with family etc, update banking ,and do the visa , police clearance etc.

Man these Thai visa,s are complicated, or perhaps Im just overthinking :)

Here are their published document requirements. I would always suggest you contact them and ask what the current requirements are.

Documents Required: (1 original and 2 copies)

-Your actual Passport or Travel Document. (Passport or Travel Document must not expire within 18 months);

-Three completed and signed application forms

-Three passport-size photographs (3.5 x 4.5 cm.) taken within 6 months with a full-face view without hat or glasses. (Photocopy not accepted);

-A completed PERSONAL DATA FORM;

-A bank statement showing a deposit at the amount equal to no less than 800,000 Baht, or an income statement (an original copy) with a monthly salary of no less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus monthly income of no less than 800,000 Baht a year;

-A police name check certificate issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application;

-A MEDICAL CERTIFICATE indicating that the applicant has no prohibitive diseases as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14 B.E. 2535 (1993) issued no longer than 3 months prior to submitting the application with a rubber stamp of the concerned doctor or hospital on the certificate confirming its authenticity.

LINK

..but the O-A is the retirement visa and if what I read it correct only the embassy in Canberra has authority to issue them. I don't know when this changed as it hasn't always been this way.

You can get a single entry O-A visa and a multi entry O-A visa issued at the Consulate in Sydney for different reasons other than for retirement..... their website has all the information and the form to download. You can drop your application in the morning on a certain day and they will tell you to pick it up in the afternoon on a certain day..... usual between 3-5 days.... depending on how busy they are.

I know you can submit the application for retirement in Sydney as that is what they told me... maybe they then forward those onto Canberra.

cheers

It's all pretty easy to do in Sydney, the most expensive part is the notory, but then once you are here,all you do is the 90 day reporting & leave just before it runs out to get your second year,

You can get a single entry O-A visa and a multi entry O-A visa issued at the Consulate in Sydney for different reasons other than for retirement..... their website has all the information and the form to download. You can drop your application in the morning on a certain day and they will tell you to pick it up in the afternoon on a certain day..... usual between 3-5 days.... depending on how busy they are.

I know you can submit the application for retirement in Sydney as that is what they told me... maybe they then forward those onto Canberra.

cheers

The O-A is only issued to people meeting the requirements of the retirement visa. It is not issued for other purposes. Perhaps you are thinking of the other O visa categories?

Perhaps they are sending it onto Canberra. Below is captured for the application form from the Canberra embassy.

visa.JPG

The O-A is only issued to people meeting the requirements of the retirement visa. It is not issued for other purposes. Perhaps you are thinking of the other O visa categories?

Perhaps they are sending it onto Canberra. Below is captured for the application form from the Canberra embassy.

attachicon.gifvisa.JPG

You are correct.... I got mixed up.

The form you use for an O or O-A visa is Form A from the Sydney Consulate and you tick the box for the reason .... eg...family visit... retirement... other... there is a couple more.

The cost for a multi entry O is $A225 and you pay the extra as Flynn said for the retirement O-A visa.

I got my A from the form.

My mistake.

cheers

• 1 month later...

Bloody hell, my head is spinning after reading all that.

I went to consulate in Adelaide and they confirmed that any type of visa has to be issued from Canberra , but I can't really do anything at the moment as I'm a year away from the move. I think I'll go for the 3 month visa and apply for the 1 year visa when I get to Jomtien. I've already got a bank account with Kasikorn so I'll transfer some funds over a few months prior to arrival .

P.S. what is a notary ??

I went to consulate in Adelaide and they confirmed that any type of visa has to be issued from Canberra , but I can't really do anything at the moment as I'm a year away from the move. I think I'll go for the 3 month visa and apply for the 1 year visa when I get to Jomtien. I've already got a bank account with Kasikorn so I'll transfer some funds over a few months prior to arrival .

P.S. what is a notary ??

That is the easiest way. Get a Non-immigrant O ( 3months)  Visa in your own country. And apply for a 'Retirement' Visa in Thailand which is straight forward. You must be over 50.

Regarding money you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank 2 months before making the application so you apply after you have been in the country for 2 months.

Alternatively  you need to show (with a letter from your Embassy confirming it) a pension or income not less than the equivalent of 65,000 baht per month in a bank which can be in your own country. (Thai logic). They were also asking to see a bank account with 100,000 Baht but they have stopped that now. I did not need last February.

Recently they have been asking for a copy of your apartment Lease Document or hotel bill.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

P.S. what is a notary ??

Unless you have a Thai wife or apply to the embassy in Canberra you are unlikely to get a 3 month visa. If applying to Canberra it will be for a retirement visa (ie non-immigrant type O-A) they require quite a bit of documentation (if their website is correct). IMO it would be easier to get a 60 day tourist visa (from your local consulate) and go from there.

That is the easiest way. Get a Non-immigrant O ( 3months)  Visa in your own country. And apply for a 'Retirement' Visa in Thailand which is straight forward. You must be over 50.

Regarding money you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank 2 months before making the application so you apply after you have been in the country for 2 months.

Alternatively  you need to show (with a letter from your Embassy confirming it) a pension or income not less than the equivalent of 65,000 baht per month in a bank which can be in your own country. (Thai logic). They were also asking to see a bank account with 100,000 Baht but they have stopped that now. I did not need last February.

Recently they have been asking for a copy of your apartment Lease Document or Hotel bill.

cheers bill, It's been a wee while since I saw 50 !       5555

Unless you have a Thai wife or apply to the embassy in Canberra you are unlikely to get a 3 month visa. If applying to Canberra it will be for a retirement visa (ie non-immigrant type O-A) they require quite a bit of documentation (if their website is correct). IMO it would be easier to get a 60 day tourist visa (from your local consulate) and go from there.

Thanks scumbag I'll do that

This only works if you have or can get a bank account in Thailand if you need to go the B800,000 route.  I have tried several times with no luck go open a bank account.  I am stuck in a must have a 'retirement' visa to open a bank account, can't get a 'retirement' visa until I open a bank account loop.  I don't actually want to retire there, it just seems like the easiest way to stay for 3 months or so.

I am going to try again in March to open an account but no luck last October.

Archived