IGNORED

First trip to Pattaya and not able to decide hotel

nardecap

Dear friends,

I will be visiting Pattaya from 27th Nov to 2nd Dec for the first time and not able to decide which hotel to book. I am thinking about the below 2:

1) April Suites

2) Pattaya Bay Resort(PBR)

I will be reaching Pattaya around mid-night and will be dropped by airline transport at the Central Pattaya mall. Can anyone guide at that time in the day is it fine to travel/walk to both these hotels? Also, i see in the map that both these hotels are more or less at the same distance from Walking Street (I must say that PBR is nearer). How I can come back to these 2 hotels from Walking Street say 2 AM in the morning with a girl. What transport options are there. Please guide.

Cheers

Transport = Bath bus Pattaya

Do a google picture search bath bus pattaya, works great and cost 10BHT

I like both locations.

How much luggage will you have when you arrive? With nothing too bulky or heavy, I'd say both hotels are walkable from Central Festival. If you'll have a big suitcase, it might be worth getting in a baht bus to save yourself some walking.

Yep, PBR's closer to Walking Street. I usually stay near the PBR area and just walk to WS early evening. On my last trip, I stayed a few nights at March hotel (near April Suites) and usually took a motorbike taxi when headed directly to WS. Or it's a short walk to Soi 6 and after a few drinks there, I'd get a baht bus to WS.

If you've getting a girl from WS, I guess she'll most likely want to get a motorbike taxi back to your hotel anyway. Or you can get a baht bus from Second Road.

Have a good trip.

Be aware that at PBR they are building Golden Tulip Apartments right on your door step.

Lb

Thanks for the quick response, appreciate that. Do we have bath buses available throughout the night?Are they safe in the middle of the night?

I like both locations.

How much luggage will you have when you arrive? With nothing too bulky or heavy, I'd say both hotels are walkable from Central Festival. If you'll have a big suitcase, it might be worth getting in a baht bus to save yourself some walking.

Yep, PBR's closer to Walking Street. I usually stay near the PBR area and just walk to WS early evening. On my last trip, I stayed a few nights at March Hotel (near April Suites) and usually took a motorbike taxi when headed directly to WS. Or it's a short walk to Soi 6 and after a few drinks there, I'd get a baht bus to WS.

If you've getting a girl from WS, I guess she'll most likely want to get a motorbike taxi back to your hotel anyway. Or you can get a baht bus from Second Road.

Have a good trip.

Thanks for the detailed response. Really helpful. I will be having only 1 handbag, so luggage is not an issue. Just a query regarding motorbike taxi and baht bus, are they a safe option in the middle of the night. I understand that the baht bus is kind of a shared service (hop-on-off), have no idea about motorbike taxi. Is it point to point? i.e. from Central Festival to PBR/April Suites? 

Also, I heard rooms in April Suites are better than PBR. Any views? You mentioned that you usually stay in PBR area, any hotel to recommend there.

Be aware that at PBR they are building Golden Tulip Apartments right on your door step.

Lb

Thanks for the response. Is the disturbance from construction too bad? The noise should be in daytime only. I hope the hotel is still approachable (just in case I decide to book it). Please guide.

Thanks for the quick response, appreciate that. Do we have bath buses available throughout the night?Are they safe in the middle of the night?

Be aware the Bht bus does a set route so don't stop one and ask him to drive to your hotel as he will ask you for 150/200Bht .

On the other hand that's the safest and easiest way . They're available 24/7

Are they safe ? Be careful with a lot of luggage and a full Bht bus as there are pickpockets around . 

I am wondering about METER Taxis in Pattaya...... I recently took one and asked to turn on the Meter - but the driver told me ..... this is NOT done in Pattaya, everybody just have "fixed" prices.

I knew he was scamming me - but I did not want any Argument - so paid the "set-fee".

Why have a Sign & METER Taxi - when they don't use it? I just needed to go from Jomtien up to Sukhumvit Road ... for 150 Bath??? A trip that takes less than 5 Minutes?? I can take teh Airport Bus to BBK for less and that is a 2 hour Journey??

Please - someone tell me that a METER Taxi "MUST" turn on their Meter..... even if it is just a short trip within Pattaya?

How I can come back to these 2 hotels from walking street say 2 AM in the morning with a girl. What transport options are there. Please guide.

Baht bus (as noted). From the entrance to WS, walk the one block inland to the Second Road intersection and there will be a line of baht buses picking up passengers to take up Second Road at night.

See sticky threads in the Newbie Advice and Transportation sections of the forum for information about them.   :Think1:

I am wondering about METER Taxis in Pattaya...... I recently took one and asked to turn on the Meter - but the driver told me ..... this is NOT done in Pattaya, everybody just have "fixed" prices.

I knew he was scamming me - but I did not want any Argument - so paid the "set-fee".

Why have a Sign & METER Taxi - when they don't use it? I just needed to go from Jomtien up to Sukhumvit Road ... for 150 Bath??? A trip that takes less than 5 Minutes?? I can take teh Airport Bus to BBK for less and that is a 2 hour Journey??

Please - someone tell me that a METER Taxi "MUST" turn on their Meter..... even if it is just a short trip within Pattaya?

Why didn't you just get out of the taxi and find another one, if you 'knew he was scamming you'?  

The driver is required to turn on the meter. If you are not willing to turn it on, take another taxi, he certainly wants to rob. Drivers have ordered set rate per kilometer which can charge. If he no turn on the taximeter access to  his game.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Thanks for the detailed response. Really helpful. I will be having only 1 handbag, so luggage is not an issue. Just a query regarding motorbike taxi and baht bus, are they a safe option in the middle of the night. I understand that the baht bus is kind of a shared service (hop-on-off), have no idea about motorbike taxi. Is it point to point? i.e. from Central Festival to PBR/April Suites?

Also, I heard rooms in April Suites are better than PBR. Any views? You mentioned that you usually stay in PBR area, any hotel to recommend there.

Yeah, the baht buses are mostly a shared service on set routes. Wave one down, get on and then pay 10 baht when you get off.

This PDF file (http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/pattaya%20blue%20baht%20bus%20routes.pdf) shows most of the baht bus routes. I tend to stick to these 3:

- Beach Road. One-way going South

- Second Road. One-way going North

- Soi Buakhao. Two-way. Not shown on the PDF though

The motorbike taxis are point-to-point. They usually wait around at many street corners. Tell them exactly where you want to go, agree on a price and hop on. Just as an indication, it cost me 50-60 baht from March hotel (near April Suites) to Walking Street.

In PBR area, I usually stay at hotel Baraquda. I've also had 2 very nice stays at Boomerang Guesthouse around the same area but closer to Soi Buakhao. On my next trip (starting in 10 days WOOHOO!!), I'm spending a week at The Urban condo and moving to hotel Baraquda for the rest.

I think the rooms at April Suites are nicer than PBR. I read a few reports recently that people checking in to April Suites were sent instead to March hotel, their newer sister hotel. March hotel is where I stayed in September and there's some construction going on in front and at the back. April Suites is further away from these 2 construction sites so should be much quieter than March hotel.

Why didn't you just get out of the taxi and find another one, if you 'knew he was scamming you'?  

......Because I had a TV to take to the SONY Repair Center on Sukhumvit Road.... so it was not that easy to walk around and find another METER Taxi.

Yeah, the baht buses are mostly a shared service on set routes. Wave one down, get on and then pay 10 baht when you get off.

This PDF file (http://www.pattayacityexpatsclub.com/expats/docs/pattaya%20blue%20baht%20bus%20routes.pdf) shows most of the baht bus routes. I tend to stick to these 3:

- Beach Road. One-way going South

- Second Road. One-way going North

- Soi Buakhao. Two-way. Not shown on the PDF though

The motorbike taxis are point-to-point. They usually wait around at many street corners. Tell them exactly where you want to go, agree on a price and hop on. Just as an indication, it cost me 50-60 baht from March Hotel (near April Suites) to Walking Street.

In PBR area, I usually stay at Hotel Baraquda. I've also had 2 very nice stays at Boomerang Guesthouse around the same area but closer to Soi Buakhao. On my next trip (starting in 10 days WOOHOO!!), I'm spending a week at The Urban condo and moving to Hotel Baraquda for the rest.

I think the rooms at April Suites are nicer than PBR. I read a few reports recently that people checking in to April Suites were sent instead to March Hotel, their newer sister hotel. March Hotel is where I stayed in September and there's some construction going on in front and at the back. April Suites is further away from these 2 construction sites so should be much quieter than March Hotel.

Once again a very informative response. Appreciate the efforts. I checked hotel Baraquda and feel it bit expensive ($90-100 per night). Don't want to spend too much on the room. I will book April Suites and hopefully will have nice time there.

Baht bus (as noted). From the entrance to WS, walk the one block inland to the Second Road intersection and there will be a line of baht buses picking up passengers to take up Second Road at night.

See sticky threads in the Newbie Advice and Transportation sections of the forum for information about them.   :Think1:

Thanks for the response. I will go through the sticky posts (silly me, I should have done that before)

They claim to be meter taxis but I have never found one that will turn the meter on in Pattaya!

The driver is required to turn on the meter. If you are not willing to turn it on, take another taxi, he certainly wants to rob. Drivers have ordered set rate per kilometer which can charge. If he no turn on the taximeter access to  his game.

You say that they are required to turn on the meter but I have never found one that will so little hope of taking another taxi.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

No they dont turn on in Pattaya.  We used one last week as it was raining rather than normal baht bus and it was 150 Baht from Atlantic Bar Soi 3 to Soi Diana where it junctions with LK Metro. Good value really under the circumstances as was pissing down with 3 of us so 50 Baht each

And you'll end up nice and clean by the time you get there :)

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

I would not recomend PBR as there is the construction going on next door

I've stayed at PBR (a lot).. there has been nothing but heavy construction noise for the past 3-4 years...  It starts at 8am and goes on till dark... (I'm up at sunrise, so np for me...) if you are a light sleeper, go somewhere else...

Also note, the walls are paper thin... so you will hear everything that is going on above, below, and on your floor...

We all have different requirements I was a big patron of Areca Lodge until I realised for my monger trips I was not using the 2 Gyms, the two swimming pools and many other facilities in the hotel. I was distracted by "the mongering". I now use a guesthouse not too far from Areca, it is half the price or less, is well run and I actually find the "A1,B1 and C1 rooms better than my super deluxe room in Areca. I have no experience of either of the hotels you are looking at but would recommend you look at www.boomerangpattaya.com the service is great but it is not an "hotel".

No they dont turn on in Pattaya.  We used one last week as it was raining rather than normal baht bus and it was 150 Baht from Atlantic Bar Soi 3 to Soi Diana where it junctions with LK Metro. Good value really under the circumstances as was pissing down with 3 of us so 50 Baht each

It isn't so much the MONEY - it's the principle!!

Why have "METER" Taxis - when they don't use the Meter? Just because Pattaya is full of (rich) Farangs.... so let's just rip-them-off wherever we can - that is the MO of the Taxi Drivers here......

It isn't so much the MONEY - it's the principle!!

Why have "METER" Taxis - when they don't use the Meter? Just because Pattaya is full of (rich) Farangs.... so let's just rip-them-off wherever we can - that is the MO of the Taxi Drivers here......

Same for me, it is the principle of not using the meter that I object to so I use baht bus or walk and never now use Pattaya taxis. 

Same for me, it is the principle of not using the meter that I object to so I use baht bus or walk and never now use Pattaya taxis. 

Maybe there is some place where we can complain.... and highlite the issue?? City Hall???

Or maybe this is just too much to expect??

Maybe there is some place where we can complain.... and highlite the issue?? City Hall???

Or maybe this is just too much to expect??

Definitely too much to expect in Pattaya.  Best thing is to do like I do and never use them at all.  Bangkok I never have any problem with them using the meter and I use them there quite often.

I know, on a recent trip into the Country, I had Metered Taxis in Khorat, Khon Kaen - even Roi Et and Ubon - just seems that the Guys here in Pattaya and totally determined to "rip-off" the Farangs!!!

And it this attitude that I really find offensive.

Archived