IGNORED

First trip to Pattaya and not able to decide hotel

nardecap

I know, on a recent trip into the Country, I had Metered Taxis in Khorat, Khon Kaen - even Roi Et and Ubon - just seems that the Guys here in Pattaya and totally determined to "rip-off" the Farangs!!!

And it this attitude that I really find offensive.

Then be determined not to be ripped off. Avoid them if you don't like the way they do business. You'll waste a lot of time trying to lodge any complaints.

There's no scam though - you were told the price up front and you had the opportunity to take it ur leave it. You accepted it. Did you pay too much? Yup. Where you scammed? Nope.

Had a young driver try to pull one in me in BKK going down Sukhumvit. I was with a girl and didn't notice the meter was not in until we arrived. What should have been about 40 Baht turned into a request for 200 Baht. As I got out of the taxi I told him no, that he never turned on the meter and that he never told me upfront his inflated fee. I also told him that I was well aware of the typical fare considering the conditions of transit. I gave him substantially less than he asked for and me and my girl proceeded into the hotel. Never heard from that cab driver again.

Point is, in most places they will turn on the meter automatically, or if asked. For those that don't, once they believe you understand how things work then there are no further problems. The taxi driver in Pattaya, though, is a different breed for some reason. I've tried; now I just avoid them.

I would recommend hiring a taxi to take you straight to your hotel from the airport, 1000-1200 baht...

many good dependable services recommended here...

April Suites is a fine choice, but not near your drop off point...

never used the meter with taxis in Pattaya, and the rate is always agreed upon up front, no big deal...  if you think it's a big deal then don't use them.

if you want to bus from airport to save the money, check out the grabtaxi app to get a taxi once you arrive in Pattaya, I used it once in Pattaya last trip and it worked great...   http://www.grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/  (put the app on your phone, make sure your phone is set up before leaving airport if you plan to use it in Thailand)

I would still recommend just paying the cash to go direct to your hotel from airport... midnight arrival with luggage and you've  never been there before?  can be quite disorienting and confusing... 

Dear friends,

I will be visiting Pattaya from 27th Nov to 2nd Dec for the first time and not able to decide which hotel to book. I am thinking about the below 2:

1) April Suites

2) Pattaya Bay Resort(PBR)

I will be reaching Pattaya around mid-night and will be dropped by airline transport at the Central Pattaya mall. Can anyone guide at that time in the day is it fine to travel/walk to both these hotels? Also, i see in the map that both these hotels are more or less at the same distance from walking street (I must say that PBR is nearer). How I can come back to these 2 hotels from walking street say 2 AM in the morning with a girl. What transport options are there. Please guide.

Cheers

Mate you do not say what type of transport the airline is supplying..... if it is a car then just ask the driver to drop you at the hotel and give him a tip to do so. If you are staying at April Suites it is not that far... whatever some are trying to tell you... in fact it is in walking distance from Central.

Another option is to get dropped off at their sister hotel which is August Suites as you can walk through the foyer and out the back ... walk a short distance ... a minute at most... and you will be there.

Do not get a taxi from the airport... waste of money as you already have travel to Pattaya arranged.

Another option if you have little luggage.... is to get dropped at Central and hire 2 motorbike taxis to April Suites ... one for you and one for your luggage...... total cost for both no more than 160baht as April Suites is not that far.

Last but least... to walk from Central to April Suites is only a 10 minute at most leisurely stroll.

Have a good trip.

cheers

OP, are you being dropped off at the Central Festival Mall?

it's not that far to walk to April Suites, and the way to go through described August Suites would be good, but if you've been traveling and it's after midnight and you have luggage, you'd be crazy to walk.

there's taxis in front of the Central Festival mall, you can have one take you right to April Suites for probably 150 baht, maybe 200 tops... 

whoever is taking you to the central mall from the airport could probably be talked into dropping you off at April Suites, that would be best... 

map shows location of both places, blue dots show the route by road, not the shortcut through August Suites... I stayed at April Suites twice and never knew the shortcut till later, lol!  pattaya saisong road is second road...    

very strange to be dropped off there at or after midnight, btw... the mall would be closed, don't even know if the taxis would still be queued up there, but it's easy to get one anytime...

walk central to april suites.jpg

so, one kilometer, 12 minutes walking, but sidewalks are bad, and I would NOT recommend walking with luggage after traveling all that way at that time of night.

.........I will be reaching Pattaya around mid-night and will be dropped by airline transport at the Central Pattaya mall. 

Cheers

Can I ask you - which Airline (from Suvarnabhumi???) provides transport to Central in Pattaya?

I think its difficult to find good hotel in Pattaya. I know what i want, in what area and its not easy.

• Soi10 area, its walking distance to all my hunting area, and easy with bahtbus
  • Good wifi
  • Good bed
  • Allows 18+ visitor
  • Balcony
  • Cleaning everyday

Nice to have:

• Swimmingpool
  • Good view

Have been at VT6, Serenotel, Bay Breeze and Maytara my self

Can I ask you - which Airline (from Suvarnabhumi???) provides transport to Central in Pattaya?

I will be flying from Singapore to u tapao airport using airasia. From there they will provide transport to central.

I would recommend hiring a taxi to take you straight to your hotel from the airport, 1000-1200 baht...

many good dependable services recommended here...

April suites is a fine choice, but not near your drop off point...

never used the meter with taxis in Pattaya, and the rate is always agreed upon up front, no big deal...  if you think it's a big deal then don't use them.

if you want to bus from airport to save the money, check out the grabtaxi app to get a taxi once you arrive in Pattaya, I used it once in Pattaya last trip and it worked great...   http://www.grabtaxi.com/pattaya-thailand/  (put the app on your phone, make sure your phone is set up before leaving airport if you plan to use it in Thailand)

I would still recommend just paying the cash to go direct to your hotel from airport... midnight arrival with luggage and you've  never been there before?  can be quite disorienting and confusing...

Thanks for the detailed response. I guess it will a wise decision to dump the airline transport and hire a cab directly to the hotel. Peace of mind and it is just a matter of few 100s. At least it will be safe.

Mate you do not say what type of transport the airline is supplying..... if it is a car then just ask the driver to drop you at the hotel and give him a tip to do so. If you are staying at April Suites it is not that far... whatever some are trying to tell you... in fact it is in walking distance from Central.Another option is to get dropped off at their sister hotel which is August Suites as you can walk through the foyer and out the back ... walk a short distance ... a minute at most... and you will be there.Do not get a taxi from the airport... waste of money as you already have travel to Pattaya arranged.Another option if you have little luggage.... is to get dropped at Central and hire 2 motorbike taxis to April Suites ... one for you and one for your luggage...... total cost for both no more than 160baht as April Suites is not that far.Last but least... to walk from Central to April Suites is only a 10 minute at most leisurely stroll.Have a good trip.cheers

Thanks for the response.Airline has not provided any details about the transport type. I agree that hiring my own cab will be waste of money when my air ticket already have factored that cost but then again if they drop me at Central in the middle of thr night and i have to waste significant amount of time roaming all those streets i will prefer to avoid that. I guess best will be hire a cab from u tapao to hotel directly. I won'tbe having much luggage, only 1 bag. I guess I need to search a reliable taxi service now.

never heard of airline providing transportation to Pattaya...  would double check on that, and find out if they will take you one kilometer further to the actual hotel... 

otherwise, unless you're on a tight budget, definitely hire a car/driver to meet you and take you direct...  tons of threads on car/drivers here, they meet you just outside customs with your name on a sigh, all very simple and easy...

don't know your particulars, but it takes me around 30 hours on average to get to BKK,  I want to be delivered direct to my hotel and get a shower and get out hunting!

:)

edit, I see you're arriving at UTapao, that's even shorter and cheaper with the car/driver...  I think 800 baht...

never heard of airline providing transportation to Pattaya...  would double check on that, and find out if they will take you one kilometer further to the actual hotel... 

otherwise, unless you're on a tight budget, definitely hire a car/driver to meet you and take you direct...  tons of threads on car/drivers here, they meet you just outside customs with your name on a sigh, all very simple and easy...

don't know your particulars, but it takes me around 30 hours on average to get to BKK,  I want to be delivered direct to my hotel and get a shower and get out hunting!

:)

edit, I see you're arriving at UTapao, that's even shorter and cheaper with the car/driver...  I think 800 baht...

Thanks for the response.I was not aware of this service from AirAsia but when i tried to book the flight tickets i saw this option and just went ahead with that. Transportation is both ways. As you suggested I will arrange pickup from Utapao and direct to hotel as budget is not a concern at all. Don't want to take unnecessary trouble.

Same plan from me reach hotel, get a shower and start eenjoying thr trip. That is why going on Friday itself after finishing office in Singapore. :)

I think its difficult to find good hotel in Pattaya. I know what i want, in what area and its not easy.

• Soi10 area, its walking distance to all my hunting area, and easy with bahtbus
  • Good wifi
  • Good bed
  • Allows 18+ visitor
  • Balcony
  • Cleaning everyday

Nice to have:

• Swimmingpool
  • Good view

Have been at VT6, Serenotel, Bay Breeze and Maytara my self

I am following your TRs. Can you share your review of Maytara. Did it meet all your requirements?

Thanks for the response.I was not aware of this service from AirAsia but when i tried to book the flight tickets i saw this option and just went ahead with that. Transportation is both ways. As you suggested I will arrange pickup from Utapao and direct to hotel as budget is not a concern at all. Don't want to take unnecessary trouble.

I seem to recall, that Air Asia does offer such an option...... of course - as with everything at Air Asia - at a considerable added cost to the total price of the ticket. Similar to additional kg of checked luggage, seat selection, pre-paid meals ect....

However, when I checked these options, I flew into Suvarnabhumi and opted for the direct Bus Service to Jomtien, because the Bus-stop is only 2 Minute walk from my home - so had no need for the transport option. Maybe the op can advise after his arrival - how that service from U-Tapao worked?

Same plan from me reach hotel, get a shower and start eenjoying thr trip. That is why going on Friday itself after finishing office in Singapore. :)

singapore, nice!!!

I've plugged in some random date to check it out, looks like AirAsia charges S$9 for that transport to Central Festival.

But it seems like the van/bus leaves U-Tapao a full hour after the plane's arrival. Personally I'd hate to waste time waiting for the van/bus, especially at that time of night.

I seem to remember Nam's rate is 800 baht from U-Tapao. Meow might be a bit cheaper.

Capture2.JPG

Thanks for the response.Airline has not provided any details about the transport type. I agree that hiring my own cab will be waste of money when my air ticket already have factored that cost but then again if they drop me at Central in the middle of thr night and i have to waste significant amount of time roaming all those streets i will prefer to avoid that. I guess best will be hire a cab from u tapao to hotel directly. I won'tbe having much luggage, only 1 bag. I guess I need to search a reliable taxi service now.

Mate the transport will probably be a be a minibus. You can ask the driver to drop you off at your hotel as you are near Central. If he will only drop you at Central... that would be ok. Do not pay for a taxi from U-Tapao as you have paid to get close to your hotel already.

Also do not worry about getting in at midnight as Pattaya is a night town and you will have no trouble getting a taxi/motor bike taxi from Central as they will be where you get dropped off and there will be plenty of people walking around at that time... both tourists and locals and you will be safe.

As said.... ask the driver to drop you off for a tip....if he will not... it will be easy to get transportation from Central to your hotel...... you do not need to pay extra and get a taxi from the airport.

cheers

I am following your TRs. Can you share your review of Maytara. Did it meet all your requirements?

I will write a review. But wifi is shit

page ten maybe???

Page10 dont allow 18+ do they? Anyway i was thinking of them, but did not have my dates.

Using an Apple product

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me the options to travel from Sukhumvit Bangkok to Pattaya please? Is a taxi expensive? Bus?... Thanks

Tans Taxi from Sukhumvit BKK to Pattaya = 1300BHT

I have used her taxi service both ways when i have been in Pattaya (3 times). Great lady

Archived