IGNORED

Safe place to learn how to ride a motorcycle

superdaws

A friend of mine recently got an MSX125 and I am hoping to get a chance to try it out when I am back in town.  Can anyone recommend a safe place to try it out in Pattaya?  I'm staying near Soi LK Metro and I thought about trying it there is the morning when it is pretty quiet.  I am complete novice when it come to motorbikes so I'd like to stay out of traffic.  Thanks.

get some  medical insurance then head out of central pattaya and always remember concrete is harder than you are  :GoldenSmile1:

Most travel insurance won't cover you unless you are licensed to drive a bike. I really dont think Pattaya is the place for a new rider, even more so on a manual bike. Have a go on it by all means but an auto scooter is probably better to get used to Pattaya traffic and the "unique" Thai drivng style.

I would the say the corner of Soi Diana, and Soi buakhao. :GoldenSmile1:

Oh! You want to be alive after. Then I suggest getting well out of dodge.  The further up country the better.

Pattaya is a dangerous town to drive in and even much more so if your Learning to drive...Bad idea if you value your life

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

When you are dealing with safety while riding a motorbike or motorcycle, it is best if you have enough experience to simply react by lots of practice and habit to a difficult situation when it arises.  Unless you practice where no one is around, you are at a high risk, especially in Thailand. 

I strongly suggest that you take a motorcycle safety course in your home country and get some experience there before you expose yourself to the uncertainties of motorcycling in Thailand.  Yes, many people have been lucky and gotten away unscathed riding in Thailand without much experience.  But lots of guys have the scars and worse to prove that the odds are against you in the long run.

Like investing in stocks.  It depends on what risk level you are willing to accept and then not whine if you lose.

Whatever you do, wear a helmet and jeans and long sleeve shirt or jacket when you practice.  I know it is hot, but scars last a long time.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Stillakid

There is a very large dirt area which use to be the site of Xyte nightclub which has gone several years ago and it is sometimes empty.

If your a compleat novice this is the only place near LK you should consider learning clutch - throttle control. Iam sure the guys chillin at Bake & Brew will appreciate you efforts.

This might not be what you want to hear and i have also (many times )wanted to get a bike but each time i conclude that it's just unnecessary and pointless,it's just so easy and cheap to get around that there really is no need to risk it.

I learnt how to ride a motorbike with gears on Mini Siam go kart track back in 2001.

To the op either out towards Jomtien where its a bit quieter or maybe the old Excite car park?

:) 

My plan wasn't to ride around town, just wanted to have a chance to familiarize myself, in a practical way, with a non-automatic bike.  I think I have a grasp on the concept just never had a chance to practice on the real thing.  So I was just looking for ideas on places like the car parks or empty lots.  I've thought about getting a bike back home but I haven't wanted to spend the money on it without know if I'll enjoy it or not.  I figure this way I could try it out someplace safe, out of traffic, and see before I invest time or money on a bike or a class.  If I knew someone here who had one I'd do this at home but I don't so this is the only option I have.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a retired 50 year old UK bike cop (25 years). My advice is to bin the idea and instead use the dirt cheap buses which go up and down the beach road.

I ride a Scooter in Pattaya and its quite a risky business for experienced riders. The main problem being mad locals who pass at great speed both sides of you and inexperienced tourists (like you) with no idea how to properly control a automatic 125cc bike. Then there are the fools who drink and ride....

Remember that your speed is dictated to the distance you can see ahead. Keep speeds below 30 mph and look behind you BEFORE deviating/turning direction. This is called a LIFESAVER in the UK and its something you must always do before changing direction or moving sidewards on a road.

I wish you well. Stay safe.

Don't forget a 125cc machine is very powerful. First time riders are often caught out with the engines instant acceleration and snappy response to small twist grip movement. Anyone who is considering riding for the first time should never learn riding in a busy environment like Pattaya. The locals are not forgiving and they all ride furiously like madman. It's not just the machine itself you need to master its the whole concept of riding a motorcycle defensively. Get it wrong and your medical cover might not be enough to save you.

LIFESAVER - Before you move across the road, deviate from a straight line or turn left or right you must first glance behind to make sure no vehicles are attempting to pass you. If you fail to do this, one day you WILL get wiped out through no fault of your own. So, you see, even experienced riders can end up flattened.

Is it really worth it when the Pattaya buses are so cheap?

My advice is to take the baht bus and leave the bike to more experienced Pattaya drivers.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Asia is no place to start learning how to ride a bike. If you ask most BGs, they have been in a bike accident at some time.

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Daryle

How about the Municipal court compound on the left side as you head to Jomtien on 2nd road. I'd think on a saturday or Sunday morning there is hardly anyone about and there is enough road on the compound for you to get into several gears.

The Excyte car park would be a good place, make sure you have on long pants and a thick jacket preferably leather which is worth several layers of skin.

when you've learnt clutch and brake control, stopping starting, heavy braining etc, then get someone familiar tha  is a safe driver to take you around and talk to you about what to avoid while driving.

Stay safe

As a last option - learn in Pattaya. If so, there are a number of factors - first learning to ride the bike in a competent and safe manner. This should be achieved before venturing on to the public road. I used a very large and empty carpark to assist a friend learn the basic handling skills. Had him ride round it for a long time until I was satisfied he could handle throttle, breaks and balance at safely and ride at lower speeds.

Next a day later I took him on a about three very long rides along quiet roads, up by the Lake for familiarisation and gentle introduction to road traffic. Not perfect but seemed to work for him as he had a good sense of traffic. Also stressed keeping looking in mirrors for upcoming traffic, about 3 times a minute Worked for him

Riding a machine sensibly and safely is not just about the control of the bike. It's more an awareness of what's going on around you and understanding the threats and what can go wrong. This can only be gained by honing riding skills over a long period. The best advice I can give is to learn to ride BEFORE you arrive in Thailand and not to venture out on a Scooter until you are confident in heavy traffic. It's shameful that all the local bike hirers are prepared to rent bikes out to obvious learners.

I guess that many inexperienced riders are not even aware of correct use if the bikes brakes!

I don't wish to sound negative or elitist, I just hate reading about kids dying on Pattaya roads.

I also wonder how many Scooter hirers ignore the fact that most British based medical insurance companies will often refuse cover if a rider has not got a UK full motorcycle licence (A). Then there are companies who do not cover motorcycle use at all or limit cover to less than 125cc.

I also wonder how many Scooter hirers ignore the fact that most British based medical insurance companies will often refuse cover if a rider has not got a UK full motorcycle licence (A). Then there are companies who do not cover motorcycle use at all or limit cover to less than 125cc.

Easy, they don't give a shit.

I've rented 1000cc bikes with a copy of my passport.

OK that was years back so I don't know if its better now, I owned a few big bikes over the years in Pattaya and I only ever had first class insurance on one. Crazy.

:)

Archived