IGNORED

Safe place to learn how to ride a motorcycle

superdaws

But Dave, you survived. Lol. Well done. Self taught eh.

I have lost three good mates to bike collisions. I think it takes years of riding to possess the knowledge to survive on two wheels long term.

I don't intend to leave this mortal coil soon but then again I guess you never know when your luck will run out....

I wish you well.

But Dave, you survived. Lol. Well done. Self taught eh.

I have lost three good mates to bike collisions. I think it takes years of riding to possess the knowledge to survive on two wheels long term.

I don't intend to leave this mortal coil soon but then again I guess you never know when your luck will run out....

I wish you well.

I learned to ride a bike with gears (as said earlier) on mini siam in 2001, OK I had already been driving cars for over 10 years so I had some road sense but of course bikes are different.

In my years in Thailand I rode to Kuala Lumpar, BKK , Chiang Mai, Koh Chang and Phuket and although I never had an accident (on the big bike anyway) and I also knowing a handful of people that lost their lives there I never once thought that it couldn't be me.

I've seen some terrible sights and had some real near misses and as a serial pissed scooter rider I've smashed myself up a few times my advice is basically as you say in your earlier posts, if you aren't experienced use the baht buses and taxis.

Must admit after 14 months back in the UK I don't know how I'd feel about getting on my scooter in Pattaya.

:)

I thought I was clear but from some of the recent posts it seems that maybe I wasn't.  I am not looking to ride in traffic.  I am looking for a place like a car park, where I can familiarize myself with the controls of a bike and how to change gears.  If I can do that I would consider buying a bike in my home country and learn to ride there.  I just don't have access to a bike here but I might when I am back in Pattaya.  Thanks to everyone who replied with what I was looking for.  

Haven't been there for a year so I don't know whats been built on and what hasn't, also its hard to give idea's unless you know the place very very well.

The old Xcyte car park is an idea, also quieter area's like Duck Sq, the other places I can suggest are a good 15 mins ride away.

Suoerdaws. Apologies if you thought my rants here were aimed at you personally. In fact my opinions are aimed at the bike rental operators who appear to to taking advantage of hirers who patently do not possess the skills to stay alive. I guess its sheer greed.

Do me a big favour - if you do decide to ride in Pattaya, learn more about the LIFESAVER rule which is practised in the UK. Basically before you turn or deviate direction (even move to a different part of the road) you glance over your shoulder to make sure no one is attempting to pass you. Use your mirrors too. The LIFESAVER needs to be done a few seconds before you move in that direction. This procedure will save you from injury or worse.

I wish you well. Stay safe.

Suoerdaws. Apologies if you thought my rants here were aimed at you personally. In fact my opinions are aimed at the bike rental operators who appear to to taking advantage of hirers who patently do not possess the skills to stay alive. I guess its sheer greed.

Do me a big favour - if you do decide to ride in Pattaya, learn more about the LIFESAVER rule which is practised in the UK. Basically before you turn or deviate direction (even move to a different part of the road) you glance over your shoulder to make sure no one is attempting to pass you. Use your mirrors too. The LIFESAVER needs to be done a few seconds before you move in that direction. This procedure will save you from injury or worse.

Good advice, also just because a light is green don't assume that its clear.

Sorry mate if you're a novice on a motorbike then Pattaya IS NOT the place to use it.

Meet a nice girl and when She takes you up the Jungle to meet the extended Family ask Papa for a shot of his. Pretty safe in the sticks.

You could give the pattaya enduro Guys a call. They will provide quality protective gear, a decent bike and you will be off road. Pretty sure they pick you up from your hotel as well. They do half day, full day and 3 day.

Failing that, the roads around lake Maprachaun are pretty quiet.

As others have said if you have no or little experience in your own country stay off bikes in Pattaya.

Bad idea being a new rider in SE Asia but if you're going to do it, practice emergency stops on the bike because you're going to be doing them. Use both brakes with more pressure on the front brake where most of your stopping power is. On dirt or loose gravel, try not to use the front brake until moving very slowly or the front may wash out form underneath you. Practice until you're used to it and do so periodically afterward. Good luck.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

No worries.  And thanks for the advice. 

• 6 months later...

1,2,3 are spot on.... Helmet and full gear -always

these will change many an accident from a life ending or disastrous 

Archived