IGNORED

Windows 10 - Your first impressions

Eastboy

My first impression ...

What, they're up to Version 10 now ?

Haven't given it another thought until this post.

About 8 months ago I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8. I hated it, but held on with the promise of W-10 not to far into the future. I upgraded to W-10 as soon as it became available. I like W-10 better than W-8, but the jury is still out on it replacing the W-7 on my desktop. The IT department at my company does thorough testing of all operating systems before rolling them out to the network. We are still running W-7 Enterprise at work. Windows 8 was rejected nearly immediately, and  what I am hearing is no one is in a rush to move the network to W-10 though I don't have the details as to why.

It's the one you don't hear that gets you, and the one you don't see coming that traps you.

:WinkGrin1:

The perception of W10 is different depending on the user - I am a computer "nerd" since the beginning of the 90's and these are my takes:

+ On Touchscreen the gui is cool

+ Always search "everything" is clever

+ All languages by default is good

+ Implementation of the migration is amazingly smooth - they even made handy iso files as downloads and device lookup is seemingly working

Now for the bad parts:

- OneDrive difficult to remove

- Windows Update difficult to disable

- Use a non password login is difficult

- No good control of active services

- Non standard implementation of "recent folders" (which I use 100 times a day)

- Heavily automized system - for example - even if u choose english installation language, it will switch language to your local region

- Microsoft has indirect legal access to any W10 device even without your consent because "suspicion" is enough to disable your computer and all your files hijacked and locked.

So for me it's a no-brainer.

About 8 months ago I bought a new laptop that came with Windows 8. I hated it, but held on with the promise of W-10 not to far into the future. I upgraded to W-10 as soon as it became available. I like W-10 better than W-8, but the jury is still out on it replacing the W-7 on my desktop. The IT department at my company does thorough testing of all operating systems before rolling them out to the network. We are still running W-7 Enterprise at work. Windows 8 was rejected nearly immediately, and  what I am hearing is no one is in a rush to move the network to W-10 though I don't have the details as to why.

Most likely it is because of privacy issues.  I have heard some scary things about what windows 10 is supposed to be doing with regards to phoning home.  Personally, I am planning on moving over to Linux and if I could i would move my office there too.  At least with that you can know exactly what your OS is doing if you care to review the code and compile it yourself. 

Can anybody who's already upgraded think of anything useful that I might be able to do on Windows 10 that I can't already do on Windows 7 Ultimate?

Have everything of yours on ms servers?

There is no way to disable stuff like you could in the past, so I've heard....no

Member since Dec 06.

Have everything of yours on ms servers?

There is no way to disable stuff like you could in the past, so I've heard....no

You mean the MS 'Cloud' feature? No, doesn't appeal to me atm.

Totally not sold on the 'automated/Spy features and I think like most people I'm getting fed up with blindly ticking 'Terms and conditions' that would take a lifetime to actually read and ingest. Can't see any reason to upgrade from 7 at this time.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I upgraded free from Win7 to Win10 early August.

No problems until a week ago when I got a "Critical Error - Start Menu and Cortana not working-sign out and we'll fix it at next sign in" block message on my screen at boot in.

No amount of restart would fix the problem.

Only the favorite links I had on my screen were working.

I was thus able to go on Chrome and Google for a solution.

Seems like a lot of people have suffered the same bug.

I followed one suggested fix which is to uninstall the Avast free antivirus if you have it and after restart the bug indeed had disappeared.

I then activated Windows Defender for protection.

Seeking the mythical My-Girl-is-Different

The annoying thing was that I had created .iso copies for both machines and when I used one of them for the Ultimate upgrade, it asked for a key.

Well my laptop came with Win 7 Home premium which I upgraded to Ultimate.

Neither key was accepted, so I had to upgrade with the download and run option (rather than the create iso option)..

Yeah, unfortunately you're not the only one for whom the upgrade was an exercise in pain. The percentage of friends and family that had at least one major issue either during the upgrade, or from having the upgrade completely foul things up.

It was a real dick move from Microsoft allow people the option of a clean install, rather than inflicting the long, painful, flawed upgrade process on everyone.

My advice to anyone that asks about whether they should upgrade is to either stay put on whatever they've got now for a while, or if they must upgrade, to put a good few hours aside for messing about, backing up, and installing from scratch after the upgrade is finally done.

Yeah, unfortunately you're not the only one for whom the upgrade was an exercise in pain. The percentage of friends and family that had at least one major issue either during the upgrade, or from having the upgrade completely foul things up.

It was a real dick move from Microsoft allow people the option of a clean install, rather than inflicting the long, painful, flawed upgrade process on everyone.

My advice to anyone that asks about whether they should upgrade is to either stay put on whatever they've got now for a while, or if they must upgrade, to put a good few hours aside for messing about, backing up, and installing from scratch after the upgrade is finally done.

I don't get it...  so many comments about problems with PC's and Windows here and on the Mac vs Pc thread... I have never had any trouble with any machine running windows, the two I am currently using daily both upgraded from 8.1 seamlessly, work flawlessly, as they always seem to have done for me in the past as well...

I didn't like the tile thing they switched to, so I installed an aftermarket START button back when that bullshit change happened...  other than that, the tools work as advertised...

I don't get it...  so many comments about problems with PC's and Windows here and on the Mac vs Pc thread... I have never had any trouble with any machine running windows, the two I am currently using daily both upgraded from 8.1 seamlessly, work flawlessly, as they always seem to have done for me in the past as well...

If my experiences at work and supporting friends and family are any indication, you've been very lucky to have two out of two 'in-place' upgrades complete with no issues. Coming from 8.1 maximised your odds to some degree, but even then, it would not of taken much by way of an uncommon application, or device that didn't rate high enough in Microsoft's telemetry for them to bother testing, and you could have found yourself in a world of hurt.

Some of the official Microsoft responses that I've seen for the more common problems have been so lame that they're embarrassing.

Having said that, when it works, win 10 is a massive improvement over 8.1.

I don't notice any difference, had no issues with 8.1////

guess I don't push the envelope much, just use my computers for surfing the net, email, and run a couple of simple art programs to do very basic logo and photo stuff...

have never had issues with windows operating systems throughout the years, ever.  I do recall maybe twice in my life having to strip down and totally reformat the hard drives to get stuff working optimally again....  but haven't had to do that for years and years now...

Archived