IGNORED

Windows 10 - Your first impressions

Eastboy

I just installed Windows 10 on a virtual machine, and have to say I rather like it.

Even in vmware it's running smooth, and everything feels very intuitive.

I have disabled alot of the privacy settings,

but I think I might migrate soon enough. Feels very slick and smooth.

Please share your experiences and any tips and tricks.

Which version of Windows were you using before? I ask because I'm wondering if it's still an intuitive system to upgrade to after using Windows 7 ? or if it's not so intuitive if you haven't used Windows 8 or 8.1 yet?

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

A friend upgraded and went back to Win7 after 2 days.

I've not upgraded yet as a result.

I use Win7. Absolutely hated Win8!

I also don't like change much anymore (my age I guess :-) so am reluctant to upgrade.

I still miss Win98 :-(

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Which version of Windows were you using before? I ask because I'm wondering if it's still an intuitive system to upgrade to after using Windows 7 ? or if it's not so intuitive if you haven't used Windows 8 or 8.1 yet?

I'm using Windows 7 at the moment and playing on windows 10 on a virtual machine and for me it feel intuitive. The start button is back, so I got the flow of it really quick.

Windows 8 I used once and hated it.

A friend upgraded and went back to Win7 after 2 days.

I've not upgraded yet as a result.

I use Win7. Absolutely hated Win8!

I also don't like change much anymore (my age I guess :-) so am reluctant to upgrade.

I still miss Win98 :-(

Yea it sucks to change once you settled.

Did your friend give an specific gripes about windows 10

Went from Windows 8.1 to 10

I like it except for 2 things that need to get sorted,

Google Chrome keeps crashing although not as much as it did and in the last few days not at all.

When iTunes updated it no longer recognises my iPod, it is found on my laptop as a storage device only, havn't had time to try and sort yet.

I'm using Windows 7 at the moment and playing on windows 10 on a virtual machine and for me it feel intuitive. The start button is back, so I got the flow of it really quick.

Windows 8 I used once and hated it.

Yea it sucks to change once you settled.

Did your friend give an specific gripes about windows 10

He said things kept crashing and other things were slow.

Don't remember specifics. It was probably a very early release so maybe more bugs have been ironed out now.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Early days but i upgraded from 8.1 to 10, the upgrade process itself was nerve wracking, after every reboot i had a different screen problem, it took around 10 reboots to settle and I'm pretty sure I lost a couple of programs.

I do however prefer it to 8 but 7 was my favorite.

Early days but i upgraded from 8.1 to 10, the upgrade process itself was nerve wracking, after every reboot i had a different screen problem, it took around 10 reboots to settle and I'm pretty sure I lost a couple of programs.

I do however prefer it to 8 but 7 was my favorite.

You're a braver man than me, I never trust OS automatic upgrades.

I'm happy with Windows 7 but think I will upgrade to 10 in the near future.

I'm curious if you disabled all privacy/tracking options that windows 10 turns on by default. Explains here how to turn them off http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

You're a braver man than me, I never trust OS automatic upgrades.

I'm happy with Windows 7 but think I will upgrade to 10 in the near future.

I'm curious if you disabled all privacy/tracking options that windows 10 turns on by default. Explains here how to turn them off http://www.techrepublic.com/article/windows-10-violates-your-privacy-by-default-heres-how-you-can-protect-yourself/

Yep, did the disabling early on, one thing I like is I do not keep getting a hangup on power off or lose my audio randomly which windows 8 was constantly doing. also it is nice to have those left corner options back.

I just upgraded from 7 to 10.  Hard drive was starting to fail so bought new drive and seemed like good time to upgrade.   Does seem a touch slower than 7 but that's only at startup.  If you are going to do a clean install,  you will need to download the 10 ISO and burn to DVD.  Also,  read up on the security settings for 10 as by default it "phones home to momma" about everything you do.  I remember at least 2 pages of settings where I had to turn off the micro$oft spying.

My printer, old epson inkjet, does not work with the m$ driver and the epson driver is for windows8 and won't load.   

UI is much better than 8.   I'm able to customize my start menu/toolbar just like I did in 7.   You do have to search abit for things in settings/control panel as they have moved around abit.   So if you don't like to learn "new things" you won't like 10.

On a clean install with newer components, I see no reason not to go with 10.    I wouldn't recommend upgrading a working 7 machine to 10 unless you have a specific reason to.  Looks like m$ will be providing security updates for 7 until 2020.

If I was running vista or 8, I would have killed myself already making the choice of upgrading moot.

Rather than upgrading to 10 you should consider a dual boot of: 7 & 10.

As for 10, imo maybe in 3-4 years when its firmly out of beta.

did have win8 with the looks of windows xp. XP was the best version of windows ever, and it is not only me saying so.

Did have the upgrade from win8 to win10, stil with XP looks. Happy about win10, works flauwless.

My printer, old epson inkjet, does not work with the m$ driver and the epson driver is for windows8 and won't load.

One of the problems I had was losing all the Epson drivers for my 2 Epson printers ( I have the SX510w and the XP510) after the upgrade they were no longer on my PC, I was able to get them back by going to Epson support page and both printers are running fine now.

I done a fresh install of 10 a few months ago, install went smooth, no hassle whatsoever.

I'm liking 10, was a big fan of XP and 7, never went near Vista, 8 or 8.1.

Fresh install has put a breath of fresh air into my machine, had built up quite a bit of crap over the years.

I've only had one issue with 10 so far, the start button wouldn't open the other day, found a solution to fix it though.

Coincidence! I have just upgraded yesterday.

I have 2 laptops.

I used to use one (17")  as a 'base' machine with external disks attached for movies etc.

I would use this as my home 'server' sort of...

I upgraded that from Win 7 Home Premium to Win 10 (32 bit) on the weekend.

It seemed to take a while to reboot, but after a few times it seems to have settled down and now starts up pretty quickly.

I am reasonably happy with it, so I upgraded the laptop I use the most (on my lap) from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 (64 bit).

Most of the stuff is very familiar but I haven't had much time to explore the unfamiliar parts just yet.

The annoying thing was that I had created .iso copies for both machines and when I used one of them for the Ultimate upgrade, it asked for a key.

Well my laptop came with Win 7 Home premium which I upgraded to Ultimate.

Neither key was accepted, so I had to upgrade with the download and run option (rather than the create iso option).

The other laptop can't read DVDs anymore since I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 (and now Win 10), so the .iso file is no good for it.

Copied it to a USB but the setup file would still not run.

I have tried several solutions but the cdrom.sys file refuses to be replaced.  Grrrr.

If I find Win 10 not up to scratch I can easily revert back to Win 7 with a saved system image.

On the trail of the pink pussy
Don't sweat the petty things. Just pet the sweaty things!

TRs
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Pattaya        http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Cambodia     http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Bangkok       http://www.bangkok-a...uldoon-will-go/

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  It blows hard.  Went back to Windows 7 after a week of trial.

Hardware: Macbook Air, native install of Windows 7 (no MacOS).

- Windows 10 feels much slower compare to Windows 7.  Open up Windows explorer takes a while for the files to show.  Create new folder takes few seconds for it to respond.  On Windows 7, it's near instant.

- Display in Windows 10 does not work 100%.  Windows would be missing the minimize, close icon at upper right corner.

I had some problems initially with some of my add-ons  which did not work but when I made IE as my default Browser instead of Firefox, things are working now..

No problems with my two printers. What I like is that my old software  like Photo Canvas 2 or 3, Ulead Photo impact 7 etc work OK.

What I don't like but will have to get used to is the 'anaemic' look of the text and buttons . The  back button, the ' x' closing button,  etc are just thin black lines.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

Can anybody who's already upgraded think of anything useful that I might be able to do on Windows 10 that I can't already do on Windows 7 Ultimate?

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Windows 10 = the worlds most intrusive spyware every written....

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/08/05/windows-10-isnt-spyware-but-it-wants-your-data/

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

IMHO it is more user friendly than Windows 8.1 though that is not a very high hurdle. BUT it is unnecessarily invasive of your privacy. Given the complete failure of national governments to impose reasonable restrictions on the intrusion of internet content providers Windows 10 is a window into your internet activity and there is very little the average user can do to restrict their snooping. It is in the small print!

Went from Windows 8.1 to 10

I like it except for 2 things that need to get sorted,

Google Chrome keeps crashing although not as much as it did and in the last few days not at all.

Same for me re: Chrome.  I believe there was an actual issue with it until very recently, a matter of days.

Whenever I closed an open tab that I was viewing the whole thing hung, so I got into the habit of closing tabs while viewing another open tab instead.  At some point over the last few days it is not an issue anymore and my Chrome is running fine.

I currently run Windows 7 and still have that little icon in my system tray offering 10.  I too don't like change, plus I only have one machine living here in Pattaya and cannot afford any fuck-ups. Plus I am very content with 7.

I'll stick.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

Windows 10 = the worlds most intrusive spyware every written....

http://blogs.wsj.com/personal-technology/2015/08/05/windows-10-isnt-spyware-but-it-wants-your-data/

That's really the main issue - while Microsoft under their new CEO has managed to actually create a Windows version that addresses most of the issues of the past (performance, functionality, and price) -- in typical Microsoft fashion they have then screwed up whatever goodwill they might have scored through massive privacy invasions and nickel and diming on additional features and function downloads.

A few months ago Microsonft offered the free upgrade to Windows 10 which I dowloaded. I was running Windows 7. Found that 10 slowed my machined, I did not trust what was happening with some of the processes and reverted to 7 which I am more than happy with and, more stabiliity and less freezing. Mind  you I am not particularly computer 'smart'.

went from 8.1 to 10, on netbook and laptop, had added aftermarket start button on 8.1 early on, still don't use the whole tile rigamarole...  didn't notice much difference once I changed to 10, don't have any problems at all with my two devices, they perform flawlessly as all my stuff seems to continue to do...

Archived