IGNORED

General Tso's Chicken

bossfearless

Americans, please back me up on this.  General Tso's Chicken is the bomb-diggity.  Unfortunately, it seems impossible to find this staple of American-style Chinese takeout anywhere abroad.  Expat community, frequent visitors, I beseech you to help me find some in Pattaya.  I've been working in the Middle East for three years and I'm craving this little taste of home.  Anyone know of a Chinese restaurant that can get me my fix?

None in Pattaya. Possibly in Bangkok as there is at least one American style Chinese place there. 

Not suggesting it is the same thing at all, but I think people who like General Tso's Chicken would also like Bonchon Korean Fried chicken, honey garlic flavor (although I prefer the hot flavor). Suggest the chicken legs but you can get wings and nuggets too. This stuff is super crispy, moist inside, no sauce, the sauce is cooked into the chicken skin. BonChon is at Royal Garden Mall, beach side, enter from outside the mall. 

bonc.jpg

Update. 
Yes I found it in Bangkok:

https://www.foodpanda.co.th/restaurant/t0xn/fortune-cookie

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d7238217-Reviews-Fortune_Cookie_Chinese_American_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

I've been living in Thailand for over a decade and I was so excited when I learned that an American style Chinese restaurant had finally opened here, and of course, they deliver.

The owner and staff were really helpful with my first delivery order, and the food was everything I hoped for. I really recommend the General Tso's chicken. The portions are generous and it was a big hit with my family. 

Americans, please back me up on this.  General Tso's Chicken is the bomb-diggity.  Unfortunately, it seems impossible to find this staple of American-style Chinese takeout anywhere abroad.  Expat community, frequent visitors, I beseech you to help me find some in Pattaya.  I've been working in the Middle East for three years and I'm craving this little taste of home.  Anyone know of a Chinese restaurant that can get me my fix?

If I know when you are coming my Wife can cook this dish. Not on the menu but She can do. This dish requires a base sauce as part of the recipe and nothing on our menu requires this base sauce. Let me know and She will do it specially for you.

Might put it on as a special but nobody has asked for it yet. Cheers.

If I know when you are coming my Wife can cook this dish. Not on the menu but She can do. This dish requires a base sauce as part of the recipe and nothing on our menu requires this base sauce. Let me know and She will do it specially for you.

Interesting.

If you want to attract more regular Americans, how about doing Chinese American style egg foo young? Your version as typical in British Chinese versions is nothing like it. 

Please do. I'm interested and always hungry.

Interesting.

If you want to attract more regular Americans, how about doing Chinese American style egg foo young? Your version as typical in British Chinese versions is nothing like it. 

When did you last try it? The egg foo yung now comes with the brown sauce.

There are different versions of egg foo yung the 'broken up' egg version or the omlette version that comes with the Chinese brown gravy. This is the style she has been doing recently. Some customers want this and others don't. 

It's difficult to add more on our menu as there are 109 items and only Ouy cooking. But we could do some Chinese American dishes on specials. The authentic Kung pao has proved to be a big seller and that as far as I know is the preferred American version. Photo below.

Kung_Pao_Use.jpg

YASSSSSSSSS!  I will be in Pattaya from 6-21 November.  Where is Wok N Rok located?  This is my favorite dish from American style Chinese, and I miss being able to get it.

YASSSSSSSSS!  I will be in Pattaya from 6-21 November.  Where is Wok N Rok located?  This is my favorite dish from American style Chinese, and I miss being able to get it.

Beside the Chaba Hut resort on Soi Baukhao.

You can browse through the thread give you an idea of what Wok N Rok has to offer.

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/185070-wok-n-rok/page-33

P.M. me at least the night before you're coming in and She will make the base sauce. The vegetables in the base sauce has to infuse it with flavour before being discarded so She will need it to sit a while before use. Cheers.

If this proves popular we might add it to the menu.

No, it's not only about the brown sauce, it's the way the foo young patties are done. UK style is like an omelette. American style you would not call an omelette. But thanks for the reply and yes the Kung Pao looks good. 

General Tso chicken and American yellow egg fried vegetable rice will be on the Wok N Rok menu tomorrow for a three day trial.

She's promised to cook it for my lunch and I'm looking forward to it immensely:)

Hands up the only experience I have of eating American Chinese dishes was when I lived in Texas. And I think BBQ (American sauce) was the staple requirement for most dishes.

Will post a picture of this dish up tomorrow. She says it was sometimes requested in the restaurant She cooked in. And a Chinese chef told Her it was quite a common dish in some Irish Chinese places. Interesting as it's just not a staple diet for Brits. :GoldenSmile1:

But what do I know as long as it's not another Bhuddah day I can get drunk tomorrow (today actually) Happy days.

No, it's not only about the brown sauce, it's the way the foo young patties are done. UK style is like an omelette. American style you would not call an omelette. But thanks for the reply and yes the Kung Pao looks good. 

Depends the part of the UK mate. Up North most egg foo yung's are like broken up scrambled egg, interlaced with long cut onions. All my local Chinese did that.

As you go further South they cook the omlette versions. In fact I knew I had this photo somewhere. This is a 'Scottish style' foo yung that Ouy cooked for me in a Chinese takeaway. She was allowed two free meals a night on top of Her wages and I used to eat them all. :Grin3:  You can see what I mean by the regional differences.

Foo_Yung.jpg

It's like the Kung Pao dishes there's so many regional variations. Where we lived the preffered one that most local shops cooked was using a heavily modified sweet and sour sauce as a base with the chicken in batter.

Then as you go South the preferred one uses yellow bean mixed with Hoi sin sauce. Then the authentic one which is actually my favourite.

We do the first and last versions as so far not being able to source Chinese yellowbean paste here at all. There's probably lots more variations but that's the three styles she knows.

Anyhow I'm sitting here eating a Thai pot noodle and looking forward to my General Tso's chicken tomorrow.

I see. In any case, you're not doing Chinese American style egg foo young and it doesn't sound like your place is interesting in doing that. Your choice. It would be something to advertise that nobody else does locally and many Americans really like. 

I see. In any case, you're not doing Chinese American style egg foo young and it doesn't sound like your place is interesting in doing that. Your choice. It would be something to advertise that nobody else does locally and many Americans really like. 

We'd love to put a lot of American dishes on it's just Her workload's quite crushing at the moment. Without going into details we've struggled to get the right people to learn Chinese cooking here since day one and I don't want to pressure Her by adding loads more on the menu. That's probably the reason we've not went down that path.  

However I do take your comments and suggestions on board.

Wow I impressed with your dedication to customer service!

To be honest, I have only seen mixed reviews of your restaurants. But this really makes me want to give it a try. 

Thank you Wok n Rok, I will be sure to give you a call at least the day before.  The sauce is always best when it's reduced and thickened a bit :)

DSC_0215b-1.jpg

Wow I impressed with your dedication to customer service!

To be honest, I have only seen mixed reviews of your restaurants. But this really makes me want to give it a try. 

We are a British Chinese restuarant, bar and takeaway. If you read the Wok N Rok thread you will hae an idea what's on the menu.

The second last review with a photo. And yes that is our product.

"Excellent food here, was really pleased much better than back home too! Will definitely return, can recommend this place to anyone who enjoys a good old Chinese!"

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g293919-d6871870-r320530452-Wok_N_RoK-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html#REVIEWS

It's good to offer something different. Reviews, well, reading the last few on Trip advisor the last one we are NOT located on Soi Chayapoom and the one regarding duck pancake rolls we NEVER ever serve SIX duck pancake rolls. Either these reviewers are blind drunk which is a possibility or completely mixing up businesses and locations. Lol. 

People who know their British Chinese know how good the food is here. Best to try places yourself then make your mind up.

General Tso chicken and American yellow egg fried vegetable rice will be on the Wok N Rok menu tomorrow for a three day trial.

She's promised to cook it for my lunch and I'm looking forward to it immensely:)

I will be by in the next day or two!

I will be by in the next day or two!

Here it is and WOW it's great. First time eating this and me and my 10 year old boy is sharing it. He loves it. She cooked American  fried rice with it also.

General_Tsos_Chicken.jpg

Never heard of American style fried rice except the Thai thing served with hot dogs called that which is never served in the U.S.

So what's different about it? I assume you mean Chinese American style fried rice. 

The General looks good. Good luck with it. 

Never heard of American style fried rice except the Thai thing served with hot dogs called that which is never served in the U.S.

So what's different about it? I assume you mean Chinese American style fried rice. 

The General looks good. Good luck with it. 

Yes, Chinese American fried rice.

Archived