IGNORED

iOS 9 content blockers to block ads

DaffyDuck

I use beater blockers, keeps me calm when chatting up the ladies

My Pattaya budget is perfectly adequate as long as I don't spend any of it

I don't care about the ads, but I really hate the ad becons and trackers that are so pervasive now. I'll whitelist those I think are respectful like The Deck, but I'll block the bejezus out of any site using those trackers, facebook loopbacks, etc. 

For example, today's Sport Illustrated - this thing never stopped loading:

aJStRTU.jpg

Sorry, but fuck them.

Sorry, but fuck them.

Exactly!

As it stands, Adblockers became the most popular downloads nearly overnight - and this finally screws over the douchabags from the ad industry.

Best summation:

https://twitter.com/counternotions/status/645598372166893568

Then

Users: Please Do Not Track me

AdTech+Publishers: Screw you

Now

AdTech+Publishers: Please DoNotAdBlock me

Users: Screw you

After installing an ad blocker, all the local horny women stopped fancying me :Think1:

How to temporarily view a website without content blockers in Safari

Visit the affected site in Safari.

Tap and hold the Refresh button in the URL bar.

Tap Reload Without Content Blockers.

iOS 9 now provides for installing content blockers, i.e. Ad blockers that block annoyances in Safari.

http://lifehacker.com/the-best-ad-blockers-for-ios-9-1731433501

I use Crystal. Free, works, and blocks everything. I don't whitelist.

What like Firefox's Android Adblocker thats been around for a long while?

I'm an Android guy through and through. Its open source like Linux and is a lot more transparent BUT from a design ethics Apple have always nailed the design better than any Android maker. Which in some ways has been proven but Samsung's latest devices which don't have upgradable memory or the ability to (easily) replace the battery.

They both have their place in the market with followers and haters.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

The Firefox AdBlocker works system-wide across the Android OS?

No idea I only know it works in Firefox :GoldenSmile1:

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Ok. They have had plenty of individual browsers variants with adblockers added - what distinguishes this is that iOS 9 allows system-wide ad-blockers, which is why this is a huge deal. (which Android should do as well, seeing as how it's open and all that...)

Ok. They have had plenty of individual browsers variants with adblockers added - what distinguishes this is that iOS 9 allows system-wide ad-blockers, which is why this is a huge deal. (which Android should do as well, seeing as how it's open and all that...)

Daffy I'm kinda confused here. Where else other than in a browser do you want to block adds? Do you mean in app adds?

Android has had that for a while. LINK.

The “Ads” screen lets you opt out of targeted ads within apps. Microsoft’s Windows 10 and Apple’s iOS offer similar options. Note that this just applies to in-app ads — not ads in your web browser. To opt out, visit the Ads screen in the Google Settings app. You can also just reset your advertising ID from here if you keep seeing personalized ads you don’t want to see.

Safari is the system-wide browser used by the operating system. As such, having content blockers installed will prevent ads in any link launched by other apps.

The next step will be supporting the same blockers in WebKit - the engine Safari is based on, and which all apps have to use to display web content.

Subsequently, I suspect by iOS 10 the content blocking will be expanded to support all network access, this blocking ads pretty much everywhere.

That's why this is a big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Chrome, and have both Adblock for blocking ads (obviously) and Ghostery for blocking trackers. Quite eye opening seeing how many different companies are tracking your behaviour.

Sadly, Pattaya-Addicts is a worst-case offender when it comes to both advertising as well as tracking within their web-site. Part of the reason I prefer to use Tapatalk, because, frankly, the website is a royal mess.

It's mostly the irresponsible manner of content providers why I have no qualms of having a personal 100% block policy.

I switched to Purify - 99 cents, right now, instead of $3.99

I'm sure the file of content blockers will gain a couple of star ones in the weeks to come, and a few will stand out.

My criteria is easy white-listing, and easy reporting of websites.

There's a really good review of content-blockers at Brooks Review; right now, 1Blocker is the one to get according to the comparison.

Damn, you beat me to posting this ;-)

Yep, 1Blocker seems to be the clear winner - though I sticking with Purify for now.. The last update made a lot of difference.

Whatever works - I'm still awaiting a 64-bit phone to use them with.. ;)

Under no circumstances should anyone take Crystal!

Yeah, that was my first blocker. Got deleted after it was shown that they allow ads through and being paid by Adblocker Plus.

Yeah, that was my first blocker. Got deleted after it was shown that they allow ads through and being paid by Adblocker Plus.

I heard Apple wasnt too happy with ad blockers and started pulling them from the AppStore. WTF happened to free choice and the ability to opt out?

Wrong. Post your sources that you heard this from.

Ad Blockers are increasing in numbers, if anything.

Only one blocker was removed - called Peace - by its author, because he had a change of mind.

Apple had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard Apple wasnt too happy with ad blockers and started pulling them from the AppStore. WTF happened to free choice and the ability to opt out?

This is complete bollocks. You've got to stop listening to the haters..   :wink:   

The one key differentiator between platforms is Apple's drive for more user privacy, and that's going to be a big issue for years to come. Content blocking lines up directly with their strategy. 

Archived