IGNORED

Staying on Darksdie for two weeks

broadstreetbully1

Is the commute really going to be that bad or is it that you guys prefer proximity to amenities? because if all its going to take is 15-20 minutes to get to walking street i'm at peace with my decision, now if it takes longer i might reconsider.

It will take longer except in the middle of the night. Peak traffic times will be tortuous, even on a motorcycle taxi. In a aircon taxi, back and forth twice a day, I can't even imagine it. Getting to walking street will be faster than getting back, probably.

A lot of girls are really nervous about going out of the parts of town they know. This will be a hassle too.

To be fair though, if you have a bunch of fun guys filling up the villa, and it has a nice pool and other amenities, it might be worth the hassle. It would have to be a five star place with a 2 star price though.

Right now I am going to school 4 days a week pretty much right at the corner of Pattaya Nua and Sukumvhit and its driving me nuts on my own bike. It was ok 2 days a week, and before the clusterfuck that is the road project. I'm seriously thinking of blowing off this final month of class. If I had to do it in a car I might shoot myself.

Oh about the price I didn't mention i rented it out for Christmas and New Years so ultimate peak season, does that fact make the rental a bit more reasonable?

A little, but the traffic will be even worse.

Well at this point all i can say is any links to villas at least 2 rooms, pool and Jacuzzi are mandatory? I might as well see what other options i have out there. 

If i were to pat you on the back, you would list it on your resume.

My first trip report

iBar/Insomnia Mini Guide

If you have friends though who will be sharing the expense I guess that's not as bad.

It will take longer except in the middle of the night. Peak traffic times will be tortuous, even on a motorcycle taxi. In a aircon taxi, back and forth twice a day, I can't even imagine it. Getting to walking street will be faster than getting back, probably.

A lot of girls are really nervous about going out of the parts of town they know. This will be a hassle too.

To be fair though, if you have a bunch of fun guys filling up the villa, and it has a nice pool and other amenities, it might be worth the hassle. It would have to be a five star place with a 2 star price though.

Right now I am going to school 4 days a week pretty much right at the corner of Pattaya Nua and Sukumvhit and its driving me nuts on my own bike. It was ok 2 days a week, and before the clusterfuck that is the road project. I'm seriously thinking of blowing off this final month of class. If I had to do it in a car I might shoot myself.

FM has summed it up really, along with Mick - the reasons for living on DS have nothing to do with 2 weeks partying in WS.

A group of guys sharing might help costwise, but I wonder how keen they'll be when they find out all the disadvantages.

Getting girls out there will restrict the options, especially girls from GoGos.

The facilities sound good, but sitting in the jaccuzzi or playing billiards alone won't be fun.

The Sukhumvit traffic problems are a serious issue and could get worse - nobody has mentioned the nose to tail hordes of smoke belching tourist buses which screw up Third Road in the evenings, even for motorbikes.

You can plan your trips to avoid some of it, 

Yes, Christmas/New Year might make it a bit harder to find somewhere in town, but that is a very good budget.

The traffic will of course be worse.

However, now saying it's Christmas/New Year is a game changer.

People are looking to rent out at 3/6/12 months at a time.

Much as they would be tempted by 50k for only 2 weeks, I doubt that they will risk losing a long term let when it's still 4 months away.

If the OP had the nerve to wait until much nearer the time I don't think he'd have a problem.

Find a motorbike taxi guy with fairly good English, tell him you need regular taxi for 2 weeks, get his number, show him where you are staying.

You can then call him to pick you up from your place, call him to get you from wherever you are at night, they will normally be up for being on call, you could even get him a bottle of whiskey as a gesture or tell him a nice tip is his at end of your stay if he does a good job.

Handy blokes to know as well

That sounds like a great idea ll0ydie. 

I also want to mention that i looked into getting a different place all last night and couldn't find anything with all the amenities i'm getting for the price. I think but forgive me if i'm wrong but many if not all of you who have been graciously helping me out are expats, which leads me to think it's the reason some of you think i'm getting a bad price. The homes most of you rent are long term contracts thus you get a much better price then someone renting a short term stay like i'm doing. I also came to the conclusion that maybe some of you like to live in big cities where everything is easily accessible and usually within walking distance. Where i live here in the states if you don't have a car you can't even buy some milk. Everything i do requires driving, I usually drive 15 minutes sometimes more just to pick up a sandwich to take with me to work. The reason i'm saying all this is because i don't even know what it feels like to be able to walk out my front door and be at my destination after only talking a short walk. So me having to drive into the city is just business as usual for me i know no other way. Now don't get me wrong if its going to take me 30 minutes or more one way then i do have a problem. On a side question: what would be the best street which is usually less congested to make my way from the darkside towards beach road. for example is North pattaya road or central road or south pattaya road best to get through town? 

My first trip report

iBar/Insomnia Mini Guide

From the neighborhood you described, to get to Walking Street I would get to Sukumvhit and head south, then east onto pattaya nua, straight through the dolphin traffic circle and then follow beach road as it turns south again down to the top end of Walking Street.

Coming back I'd probably go from the top of Walking Street a few blocks up Pattaya tai to 3rd road, turn left to head north back to Pattaya nua, turn right to go east to Sukumvhit, left to go north, pass your soi, make a uturn then south back to your soi.

I also want to mention that i looked into getting a different place all last night and couldn't find anything with all the amenities i'm getting for the price. I think but forgive me if i'm wrong but many if not all of you who have been graciously helping me out are expats, which leads me to think it's the reason some of you think i'm getting a bad price. The homes most of you rent are long term contracts thus you get a much better price then someone renting a short term stay like i'm doing. I also came to the conclusion that maybe some of you like to live in big cities where everything is easily accessible and usually within walking distance. Where i live here in the states if you don't have a car you can't even buy some milk. Everything i do requires driving, I usually drive 15 minutes sometimes more just to pick up a sandwich to take with me to work. The reason i'm saying all this is because i don't even know what it feels like to be able to walk out my front door and be at my destination after only talking a short walk. So me having to drive into the city is just business as usual for me i know no other way. Now don't get me wrong if its going to take me 30 minutes or more one way then i do have a problem. On a side question: what would be the best street which is usually less congested to make my way from the darkside towards beach road. for example is North pattaya road or central road or south pattaya road best to get through town? 

Again that depends on the time of the day, there are several channel sois that originate from Sukhumvit & cut across to 3rd road or Pattaya Klang. I would assume that during rush business hours Pattaya Tai & Klang are best avoided.

I would suggest you go up North Pattaya road & take the channel soi opposite the bus terminus. That way you land close to Soi Arunotai/ soi bukhaow.

................................................................................................................

South Pattaya Road

South Pattaya Road

IME traffic on south Pattaya, aka Pattaya tai, is worse than the traffic on Pattaya nua, aka north Pattaya. Not by much, both can be bad.

An important difference is that if he went from where he is staying to Walking Street via Pattaya tai, he would go right through the heart of the road construction on Sukumvhit.

Is the commute really going to be that bad or is it that you guys prefer proximity to amenities? because if all its going to take is 15-20 minutes to get to walking street i'm at peace with my decision, now if it takes longer i might reconsider.

I did pretty much the same journey you will have to take twice a day to get into Central Patts in my wife's car yesterday took 40 minutes one way

If you want to waste loads of your short holiday time commuting from A-B FairPlay

You will only do it the one time

Have a good holiday

OP, if you have more exact info on the location of that villa, I could experiment for you and see what kinds of transit times I get. Send me a PM.

If you want to waste loads of your short holiday time commuting from A-B FairPlay

You will only do it the one time

Have a good holiday

Never a safer prophesy was made. ^^^

Two important points re' advice being given about best routes - timing of your journey and current on the ground knowledge.

Small point, but better to stick to the names most people use for Pattaya Nua, Pattaya Klang and Pattaya Tai rather than westernisations....IMO.

This morning I had to go from junction Pattaya Tai/Third Road to City Hall, Pattaya Nua and back ....twice.

Traffic was relatively light (9.30 - 11.30)....sorry I didn't time it but when I got home I was knackered and needed a nap (OK I'm old).

At a guess each trip is about 60% of the journey the OP will have to make to get to WS and back.

How many times a day would I want to make it?....well none really and that's self propelled, not pissing about with m/bike taxis etc.

On the point the OP made about expats and being used to long term rental rates, maybe some, because low rents/prices are the main reason expats live out there.

However, I'm looking at his 100+k/month equivalent compared with eg the rent on the 3 BR house with small pool next door to me being 28k/month (down to 25k for long lets).

That's South Pattaya less than 2 kms (40 Baht taxi) to WS.

There are lots of For Rent signs around the village, but probably none of them are on the internet.

The problem remains however, that very few agents/landlords are going to take a 2 week booking 4 months out and risk losing a long term let.

The issues of Deposit (and getting it back) damage and cleaning are much the same as for a longer let.

Come to think of it, I wonder what will happen to the OP's 2 week booking with small deposit if a 12 month let opportunity presents itself between now and Christmas...well actually no I don't.

I assume it's still being listed?

OnTheEdge the house is rented from now until i go, not one person but multiple people have it booked on different weeks so i doubt one person is gonna come and rent it out as the renter would loose money that way, at least while it remains decently booked. Furryman i'm gonna PM you and thanks for the help, it you want post your answer as to how long it took on the thread so others have the info as well.

My first trip report

iBar/Insomnia Mini Guide

Archived