IGNORED

how long do I need on my UK passport?

danmanc12

Hi guys I will be travelling to thailand for three weeks in january next year.The only problem is my passport will have just over 6 months validity when I arrive but less when I'm going home.Can anyone tell me if this requires a new passport or will I be ok?

you will be ok .   Your passport will still be valid  .    you should get a 30 day visa on entry  . 

Why not just get it renewed , any remaining time is added ti the new one /

that way no stress

you will be ok .   Your passport will still be valid  .    you should get a 30 day visa on entry  . 

The air company will probably not even let you board . That's why you have to fill out the dates your passport

is valid when you do the booking . It has to be valid till 6 months after the day your return flight is . 

Pretty sure its 6 months from the date of travel?

PS don't alter your passport with a pen, I know someone who's serving time in BKK for that very crime.

:)

Pretty sure its 6 months from the date of travel?

PS don't alter your passport with a pen, I know someone who's serving time in BKK for that very crime.

He sounds like a special kind of stupid

that way no stress

I renewed mine in June, took 6 days to turn around and as you say the time remaining on my passport was credited to my new passport plus an extra 23 days, my old one runs out on the 20th Dec my new one runs out 12th Jan 26

that way no stress

Exactly. I don't know why this question is asked so many times. I renew my passport a year out. Just renew it early and not stress out.

The problem with the 6 month rule is that it is not adhered to by everyone. Some might be more strict and others lax.. Err on the side of caution and renew early.

This 6 months thing is not right. A passport is valid until the very day it expires. Some countries like you to have 6 months left on it when you arrive to avoid any possible problems but very few actually enforce this

The air company will probably not even let you board . That's why you have to fill out the dates your passport

is valid when you do the booking . It has to be valid till 6 months after the day your return flight is .

That's incorrect.

"Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Thailand. Entry to Thailand is normally refused if you have a passport which is damaged or has pages missing."

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand/entry-requirements

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

This 6 months thing is not right. A passport is valid until the very day it expires. Some countries like you to have 6 months left on it when you arrive to avoid any possible problems but very few actually enforce this

The Airline will enforce it , they check your passport before they check you in

If it floats, flies or fucks It's probably cheaper to rent ...

Answers vary and for Thailand it even varies according to nationality.

Not easy for the airlines to work it out I imagine......http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

The Airline will enforce it , they check your passport before they check you in

Only certain countries have this rule and even then it's not strictly followed and varies for each nationality

There was a case before when a passenger was turned away because they had less than 3 months left on their passport and the airline apologised, put it down to human error and gave a full refund 

The Guy I know was advised in his own country that he may be turned away in BKK, he didn't listen and took the flight.

He had just under 6 months, Thailand wants to see 6 months, he changed the dates.

As far as travelling back to your own country goes you can normally travel on an almost expired passport and expired passport and still will be allowed entry.

Only certain countries have this rule and even then it's not strictly followed and varies for each nationality

There was a case before when a passenger was turned away because they had less than 3 months left on their passport and the airline apologised, put it down to human error and gave a full refund 

That was a Brit travelling to Cyprus, which is EU Rules and anyway Cyprus even states that the 3 months was enough if it covered his trip - big fcuk up by Easyjet.

Coming to Thailand it's their rules and better to be safe than get sent back. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

That was a Brit travelling to Cyprus, which is EU Rules and anyway Cyprus even states that the 3 months was enough if it covered his trip - big fcuk up by Easyjet.

Coming to Thailand it's their rules and better to be safe than get sent back. http://www.staralliance.com/en/services/visa-and-health/

My fault i wasn't clear. I was just meaning generally this rule is not a real thing. I was in a similar situation myself a few years ago and had to look into it. 

As for the OP his passport is fine as it's more than 6 months from date of arrival and this had been answered

Pretty sure thats not correct. Normally its 6 months validity on outbound

He sounds like a special kind of stupid

Maybe he could try changing his balance on an ATM receipt slip with a pen. That might work too.

Maybe he could try changing his balance on an ATM receipt slip with a pen. That might work too.

It didn't. :)

Pretty sure thats not correct. Normally its 6 months validity on outbound

English isn't my first language but is outbound and the return flight not the same thing ... ? 

Six Month Validity Passport Rule

As a general rule, passports should have at least six months of validity when traveling internationally.

Most countries will not permit a traveler to enter their country unless the passport is set to expire at

least six months after the final day of travel. 

Final day of travel is the return flight i assume ... ? 

Yep - it's utter BS - but we're dealing with bureaucrats and government officials here - nu humans involved.  Whatever the man says peons - bend over.

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

Most countries in SE Asia want 6 months left on the passport when you enter the country.

(Japan and Korea appear to be exceptions)

Countries with 6 Month Validity Rules http://www.uspassporthelpguide.com/six-months-validity-rule/
Albania
Angola
Bahamas
Bahrain
Belize
Bolivia
Botswana
Brazil
Brunei
Burma (Myanmar)
Burundi
China
Cote d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Ecuador (including Galápagos Islands)
French Polynesia
Guyana
Honduras
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Kenya
Mexico
Madagascar
Malaysia
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
New Caledonia
Nicaragua
Oman
Palau
Papua New Guinea
Saudi Arabia
Singapore
St. Lucia
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Timor-Leste (East Timor)
Trinidad & Tobago
Turkmenistan
Uganda
Ukraine
Venezuela
Vietnam
Zambia

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

I still think he will be ok . He is only going in for 3 weeks and I would think if with a return ticket to show , not a problem to passport control . 

It will be fine as I did same on my last trip in fact on landing had 6 mths 1 day left on passport. Only issue is if you wanted to take a trip say Cambodia you can't as will not get back in.

Loving it on Soi 6

Archived