IGNORED

Windows 10 started updating now !

david555

muldoon, on 04 Aug 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:snapback.png

I just replaced the hard-drive in my laptop on the weekend.

I then loaded Win 7 Ultimate from a DVD I had.

Then re-installed all my programs and then went to register my Product key only to be told it is an upgrade only key!

So I then ran the 5 recovery disks to reinstall Win 7 Home Premium then upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate.

I then made a copy of the system image which I couldn't do before as I always got a storage error (because of the old hard-drive I guess)

So now I can go straight to Win 7 Ultimate if I need to reinstall for whatever reason.

My backups also used to 'fail' right at the end because of this hardware error.

I never went to Win 8.1 because most people I know who did upgrade didn't like it and went back to 7.

Much the same as XP to Vista.  

A lot of people stayed on XP then upgraded to Win 7, skipping Vista.

So maybe every second version is OK.  e.g.  XP, Win 7, now Win 10 (fingers crossed).

I think I'll wait a while before going through the pain of upgrading/installing Win 10 and see what the consensus is!

I am happy with Win 7 atm. It loads fast and is stable.

BTW.  Since I have reinstalled I have lost the Win 10 notification from my system tray (right lower corner).

I had registered for Win 10 but not sure whether I will get notification again!

Those windows tools for win 10 can replace your notification  with the choice for straight updating to 10 or to burn an iso to dvd or usb key , watch out to take the right version tool 32 or 64 bit , and also you can not choose a 10 you like , example : Win 7 ultimate = Win 10 pro . and the others just 10 Home , naturally they dig  up deep from your pc the windows original keys to allow you'r install .. :Think1:

until 30 days from update date you can rollback to 7 or xp no longer , and it works fine as I did that with my 7 on the 10 inch , all came back as normal (that time ) this with the preview Win 10 one .

You can understand why people spend twice as much and buy a Mac - none of this nonsense - they just work.

I will downgrade to windows 10 when Windows 7 is no longer supported.

Upgraded to 10 went back to 7 within 2 days. Media player unable to play video but some sound, unable to play videos through Facebook website and app. Another successful launch looking at the feedback forum  :Think1:

A couple of suggestions/tips.

If you have an "illegal" copy of win 7, that runs with a loader program and have had no trouble updating the software in the past. Then you can upgrade this to win 10. It then becomes a legal version with genuine activation code, etc.

Before upgrading - Partition your disk and load your win 7 on the new partition also.

Upgrade this new installation to win 10. Most if not all of your old drivers will still work.

I personally quite like win 10, especially the multiple monitor support. But won't migrate all my software over until things settle down.

No matter where you go, there you are....

Upgraded to 10 went back to 7 within 2 days. Media player unable to play video but some sound, unable to play videos through Facebook website and app. Another successful launch looking at the feedback forum  :Think1:

You did not read this before I think , under" Feature deprecation  "they warned before ....! 

A list with some things would be involved missing or not working  (yet ) proper way ,but in roll back all is back as it was in my preview >roll back to 7 on small laptop 10 inch ,as testing months ago .

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Just upgraded my main PC, chose to do a fresh install to rid my pc of the bloat I've accumulated over the last couple years.

Only early days yet, still installing software I use the most, but I'm quite liking it so far. See how we go...

I will downgrade to windows 10 when Windows 7 is no longer supported.

Main stream support for W7 actually already finished on Jan 13th 2015

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/lifecycle

Just upgraded my main PC, chose to do a fresh install to rid my pc of the bloat I've accumulated over the last couple years.

Only early days yet, still installing software I use the most, but I'm quite liking it so far. See how we go...

I personally rebuild my desktop every 6 months or so but I work in the IT industry and do download a LOT of dubious content :GoldenSmile1:. In your case a fresh install after a few years will breath a new lease of life back into your machine simply through removing the clutter and crap Windows builds up. I love the fact MS offer an ISO rather than a forced upgrade.

My laptop however is Linux and absolutely flies compared to my higher spec desktop.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

I did now a clean install Win 10 pro on my reserve 10 inch in dual boot with  win 7 as a test (big asus legal updated in Win 10 home system worked as a dream ....), no serial  given,  skipped that question , and WIN 10 works with a few limitations as no personalization desktop picture or colors , Microsoft updated  already some Win 10 , update working and seems to work for the moment ,now waiting when the first   s....numbers or bypasses comes on" the market....."

UPDATE:

As this morning checking I saw my limitations (greyed out buttons) are now open to use , I can change desktop background and colors taskbar and more ....(?) but still not marked as activated ....( of course ... :Grin3: )....????

And this key let you upgrade to Enterprise , but not activate , but working

NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43  upgrade key to Win 10 enterprise version

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

• 2 weeks later...

A friend has warned me off Win 10 - he's already gone back to Win 7.

Slow as molasses. Lots didn't work. Ugly desktop. IE intrusive.

Just some of the comments.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

One of my 2 windows 8 pc's got it's upgrade a couple of days ago, the other still has not received it.

I have to say, despite having backed up everything, it was a sphincter clenching process.

I had a hanging restart, then i had a series of "issues" that changed with every subsequent restart, after sign in each time, first it was no sound, then it was overlarge icons and screen, then it was a desktop that was a third the size of the screen and in between this there were constant busy circles on screen,  after about the 8th reboot it calmed down and it is working fine, except the weather app, which insists despite me putting the correct location of Liverpool into the settings and making it the default location insists on saying liversedge.

Still like Win 7 better than Win 10 but at least it's a big step forward again from 8.1 . 

The laptop with SSD partition integrated in the HD reboots in just over 10 seconds

now with Win 10 , never seen it that fast . 

I like Windows 10. All fine.  And Chrome.. I like that.

Upgraded to Win10 from Win7 a few days ago

One hour. Trouble free.

Everything worked except for the Logitech webcam which needed a Win10 driver.

And had to load a new driver for my Canon printer.

So far - so good !!.

Satisfied !!

Seeking the mythical My-Girl-is-Different

Archived