IGNORED

Windows 10 started updating now !

david555

Evening in Thailand 19 clock , started mine , al thogheter 2 hours to be online again , just letting you guy's know , i clicked on the update icon out curiosity as no announcement yet , and it started , goes smooth but slow , thats al for the moment , have to find out many things now

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

"We're rolling out the free upgrade in waves, and we'll let you know when it's ready for you."

:SoWhat1:

I still dont believe its truely free. At some point they will introduce a subscription for continued use and updates....

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

30 days roll back option only  from de date of updating to 10  ,keep also in mind that some software is not yet compatible with win 10 , as in my case Zonealarm firewall + anti virus not working , so hoping windows firewall can do the job mean time ..., iobit a- virus can do that part

UPDATE:

now zonealarm firewall  have updated beta versions ready for download for Win 10

Installed now on my computers. Not sure I like it much.

A lot of hardware isn't compatible yet, my desktop PC uses corsair water system and the software needs to be updated before I do the install, but windows 10 has had some rave reviews so far, I do look forward in having this soon

it looks to be a good one (  they better do so.........) but naturally every moment you find new buttons where to or do , like to change user ........ click on you icon up the start menu ....... I was looking ages for it , just used the off button instead , also right clicking on folders can add to the start menu (different options in personalize screen )

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2953843/windows/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2874400/windows/windows-10-the-10-coolest-features-you-should-check-out-first.html

Installed now on my computers. Not sure I like it much.

I noticed the little announcement offering to install on my netbook, declined for now... let me know how it goes, ok?  thanks beta man!

and hahahahahahha! for your whiny QB!!

:)

I am too scared to upgrade/"downgrade" ...VISTA fucked me big time...had many crappy days due to that thing...a lot of restraint was needed to prevent smashing my laptop...the mouse was not so lucky. 7 is working and I am going with "if it aint broke don't fix it"  XP was pretty decent. Never really like Msoft or Mr Gates 

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

I installed W10 last night on my laptop. Internet pages are loading a lot faster than with W8.1

Seems to be using less memory (or whatever it uses!) than before.

Although, my battery says its not charging, despite being plugged in to mains power!

the clock is now only in digital signs , but you can remove that nasty PM/AM thing :SoWhat1:  in the settings, (how to show the order of ime ), need a little much clicking  & searching , but now showing in 24 hours time format  like normal European setting. :GoldenSmile1:

Also it is possible to make I Explorer back as number 1 , almost no settings or addons possible in that "EDGE" :SoWhat1: thing ..., in your installed programs you can set the preference and there is IE again .

EDGE is more dictatorial , no choices or settings as in IE , so choice for all , firefox I needed to upload and install new, was "eliminated " by the "windows hitman unit "

But i10 it works fine once you know all the buttons  ( still searching and exploring... :GoldenSmile1: ) but certainly a keeper :ThumbUp6:

Wait at least four weeks - this is Microsoft - they have never had a major bug free OS launch. Wait till they announce Service Pack 1 is available before trying to migrate. (LFMF) 

And for those who are tyred to wait for the green light .... here on this Windows site you can download an assistant program that let you choose to update or to download to a usb or burn an iso to cd ,  32 or 64 versions choose the correct one for your system , running  WIN 7 ultimate you choose the WIN 10  pro when running the tool .....just read first the site

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

After waiting patiently I today checked my update and saw win10 update had started and failed 5 times. WTF!? Googled the error codes but no help.

So downloaded the manual install tool and a couple of hours later Win10 installed fine :)

First impressions....

Basically its like 8.1 with Metro desktop moved to the start menu.

Takes twice as long to boot as 8.1 did on my PC. Generally doesnt feel as quick as 8.1 all round.

Hate the lack of colour on window title bars.... cant tell which one is active. Suspect this will get patched soon...

Haven't tried Edge will stick to Firefox its the only browser with good ad-blocker.

New email app is nice.

Spent ages googling and switching off all the built in spyware.

Got a scare when graphics driver wasn't installed but ran manual update all good now!

In all  win10 is not too bad but if you want to stay current really there's no choice but to upgrade.

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

Personally I would hold off a month or so to let the first wave of bug fixes to come out. You have a year to upgrade dont do M$'s beta testing for them.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Personally I would hold off a month or so to let the first wave of bug fixes to come out. You have a year to upgrade dont do M$'s beta testing for them.

if you run the very good win 7 I could agree  , but I was happy to get rid of that 8.1  so it works great I find , but as said above by another bm , many things to switch of , as Microsoft likes tooooo much to know about personal things an whereabouts

Do pay attention during install and uncheck all the info sharing with Microsoft... Unless you like that.

Also, I only succeeded when downloading the ISO, to a USB drive, then the installation worked.

Think like a VC - fail quickly, try often

Do pay attention during install and uncheck all the info sharing with Microsoft... Unless you like that.

Also, I only succeeded when downloading the ISO, to a USB drive, then the installation worked.

Deep in the settings you better do that also for the apps , example they set standard acces to many things as camera and more ...., many settings to OFF , OS 10 is good but to curious for many things  so check all settings ......... is for free I think to sell our privacy :Think1: for marketing purposes

I wish you better luck than I had.  It killed off half the characters on my keyboard, back to windows 7 and all is fine again.

if you run the very good win 7 I could agree  , but I was happy to get rid of that 8.1  so it works great I find , but as said above by another bm , many things to switch of , as Microsoft likes tooooo much to know about personal things an whereabouts

OK, fair point. My Win 7 machine is rock solid but for the guys running W8 or Vista its an obvious quick upgrade choice.

I like the fact David555 posted it could be downloaded as an ISO and installed from that nothing like a clean rebuild. Cheers.

Believe nothing just because a so-called wise person said it. Believe nothing just because a belief is generally held.

Believe nothing just because it is said in ancient books. Believe nothing just because it is said to be of divine origin.

Believe nothing just because someone else believes it.

Believe only what you yourself test and judge to be true.

Elantech drivers (touchpad) automatically updated by Win 10 just yesterday as the touchpad was not reacting complete for "gesture system " (zoom action not responding on "pinching in / out " ) Now working fine as normal.

This is a common problem for all new systems , as the developers from those are not yet up to date with a new system from the start ...not Windows fault.

I think similar more updates shall follow for a while depending which brand of hardware /software are used , example Acronis disk director shows disk ,but as" not supported " to use actions on it .

Best plan is to upgrade from Win 8 or Win 10 to Win 7 - something that works just fine.

Best plan is to upgrade from Win 8 or Win 10 to Win 7 - something that works just fine.

that's  " downgrading"  :GoldenSmile1: , as long you still have your install disk , as nowhere online or difficult to find , and on my laptop  asus with BIng does not take cd install , message ;bios does not support ...etc etc ! Whe are losing controle lately on our computers , they do not alow us as before :Think1: as I have still WIN 7 on my 10 inch ,and on that one uncle Gates people try to cut me out with their nag screen and more , just small click on my little nasty software prog, and alive and even updating as a original one again :hello09:

I just replaced the hard-drive in my laptop on the weekend.

I then loaded Win 7 Ultimate from a DVD I had.

Then re-installed all my programs and then went to register my Product key only to be told it is an upgrade only key!

So I then ran the 5 recovery disks to reinstall Win 7 Home Premium then upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate.

I then made a copy of the system image which I couldn't do before as I always got a storage error (because of the old hard-drive I guess)

So now I can go straight to Win 7 Ultimate if I need to reinstall for whatever reason.

My backups also used to 'fail' right at the end because of this hardware error.

I never went to Win 8.1 because most people I know who did upgrade didn't like it and went back to 7.

Much the same as XP to Vista.  

A lot of people stayed on XP then upgraded to Win 7, skipping Vista.

So maybe every second version is OK.  e.g.  XP, Win 7, now Win 10 (fingers crossed).

I think I'll wait a while before going through the pain of upgrading/installing Win 10 and see what the consensus is!

I am happy with Win 7 atm. It loads fast and is stable.

BTW.  Since I have reinstalled I have lost the Win 10 notification from my system tray (right lower corner).

I had registered for Win 10 but not sure whether I will get notification again!

On the trail of the pink pussy
Don't sweat the petty things. Just pet the sweaty things!

TRs
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Pattaya        http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Cambodia     http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Bangkok       http://www.bangkok-a...uldoon-will-go/

I just replaced the hard-drive in my laptop on the weekend.

I then loaded Win 7 Ultimate from a DVD I had.

Then re-installed all my programs and then went to register my Product key only to be told it is an upgrade only key!

So I then ran the 5 recovery disks to reinstall Win 7 Home Premium then upgraded to Win 7 Ultimate.

I then made a copy of the system image which I couldn't do before as I always got a storage error (because of the old hard-drive I guess)

So now I can go straight to Win 7 Ultimate if I need to reinstall for whatever reason.

My backups also used to 'fail' right at the end because of this hardware error.

I never went to Win 8.1 because most people I know who did upgrade didn't like it and went back to 7.

Much the same as XP to Vista.  

A lot of people stayed on XP then upgraded to Win 7, skipping Vista.

So maybe every second version is OK.  e.g.  XP, Win 7, now Win 10 (fingers crossed).

I think I'll wait a while before going through the pain of upgrading/installing Win 10 and see what the consensus is!

I am happy with Win 7 atm. It loads fast and is stable.

BTW.  Since I have reinstalled I have lost the Win 10 notification from my system tray (right lower corner).

I had registered for Win 10 but not sure whether I will get notification again!

Those windows tools for win 10 can replace your notification  with the choice for straight updating to 10 or to burn an iso to dvd or usb key , watch out to take the right version tool 32 or 64 bit , and also you can not choose a 10 you like , example : Win 7 ultimate = Win 10 pro . and the others just 10 Home , naturally they dig  up deep from your pc the windows original keys to allow you'r install .. :Think1:

until 30 days from update date you can rollback to 7 or xp no longer , and it works fine as I did that with my 7 on the 10 inch , all came back as normal (that time ) this with the preview Win 10 one .

Archived