Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Bronx Pizza on Soi Diana

I cannot find any thread about this place and starting one now. This is a small pizza restaurant located on Soi Diana opposite Papagayo. There are some tables, but I guess that most of their business is take away.

I felt a bit hungry yesterday night and passed this place on my way to the soi Diana beer bar complex. They charge 70 baht for a pizza slice and 99 baht for two slices. Two slices are about right for lunch or dinner, one slice as a snack.

I ordered take away and got my slices between two paper plates in a bag. I then proceeded to one of the beer bars and ate the pizzas with some beers.

The pizza slices were very good. They are thin and both the tomato sauce and the cheese tasted very good, which is not always the case in Thailand. I will definitely buy more pizza there.

Sorry about the lack of pictures, but I was there at night while drinking and never bring my smartphone at that time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree... Just about the best pizza I have had in Pattaya, and certainly good value for money.

I think this place has been there for years ....it never looks appealing from the outside

I think this place has been there for years ....it never looks appealing from the outside

no not the same one.

this one started either late april or early may.........

may 10 008 (Custom).JPG

shot looking in the direction of buakoaw. the open air bar complex to the right opposite the blue truck

I was thinking of somewhere else - apologies

keeping track of things round here ain't easy.

been back in the hard drive and i first took a photo april 3rd so it must have opened late march or very early april.

i spend a lot of time out walking and if i spot something new the camera gets to work.

they started with a slightly different offer involving 2 slices and a can of coke which was never gonna work when a lot of trade is going to be coming from nearby bars.

i won't load those pics or it will confuse readers

'Bronx' made me think of the thick American style pizza that i don't like but this looks ok . Must give it a try . 

Cheers, Izzyg. Will have a couple of slices next week.

Big Mike.

I was thinking of somewhere else - apologies

i could not remember the name of the other place you were thinking of. but walking past today i think you meant Lees Diner which before that was Slices of bobby fame.

here is a pic of the new place shot from outside papagayo which a lot of folks will know.

sign on the door reads closed tuesdays open 15 30 to 03 00

july 14 007 (Custom).JPG

I liked that place too.  Its not a gourmet place, but it reminds me of the late night pizza joints in the states where i cant get a slice after getting out of the clubs.  I went there a few times my last trip. 

Had two excellent slices yesterday.

Be careful if you are allergic, because yesterday the toppings of the pizzas did not match what was written on the signs.

• 3 weeks later...

Two slices for 99 baht.

Can not complain. Called past there last night and picked up some.

Threw it in the oven  and 5 mins later am eating.

Will definitely head back.

post-9139-0-79919200-1438953378.jpg 

Bronx Pizza sells thin-crust, New York-style pizza by the slice or 18" (large) pie.

2.jpg

It's located on Soi Diana near the corner of 2nd Road, across the street from Natalie's Bar, which is between Beefeater and Papagayo.

3.jpg

While Bronx Pizza has a couple of tables and a few counter seats, it's mostly set up for take-away by the slice. That's what's most "New York" about Bronx Pizza - it was in New York City that pizza by-the-slice got its start in the early years of the 20th century. Until the end of WWII, most pizza was sold as take-away food, whether by the slice or pie. It wasn't until the 1950s that pizzerias as sit-down restaurants spread outside of Little Italy and other Italian neighborhoods.

post-9139-0-06677800-1438954443.jpg 

The slices I've had from Bronx Pizza have been OK, especially when you consider the price is two slices for 99 baht. The pics show a slice of Margherita and what's called Bronx pizza.

post-9139-0-80650000-1438954840.jpg 

Both have extremely thin crusts with a minimal amount of tomato sauce and mozzzarella. The Margherita was topped with fresh garlic and tomatoes, basil and olive oil, while the Bronx was covered with Italian sausage and slices of fresh green peppers and onion. The basil on the Margherita was burned, but it didn't taste bad. In fact, the combination of cheese, tomato sauce and toppings was good on both slices. It didn't reach any peaks of pizza perfection, but was better than most of what is available in Pattaya.

post-9139-0-06563200-1438955264.jpg 

The problem with the slices was the crust. It was almost too thin and crispy to the point of brittleness. The crust wasn't burned, just over-baked. That's a difficulty with a lot of pizza sold by the slice. It has to go into the oven twice, once to bake it almost done, the second time to reheat it before serving. If the crust is paper thin, it can get too dry. What characterized New York pizza, among other things, was a crust that was charred on the underside but still a bit spongy in the upper layer so the slices could be folded in half and eaten without a knife and fork. Still today, a pizza slice is considered "street food" that is eaten standing or on the go.

Authenticity is a muddled and dubious concept and it would be silly to think you can find what is considered to be true New York pizza in Pattaya. For one thing, the original New York pizzas were baked in coal-fired brick ovens that achieved more than twice the temperature of a wood-fired or modern gas oven. The high temperature gave the pizzas a taste that can't be duplicated even in a wood-fired oven. Nowadays only about 20 of NYC'S 400 pizzerias still use coal-fired ovens because of environmental and safety regulations. To say a pizza isn't "authentic" New York style because it isn't baked like pizzas were 100 years ago is as absurd as saying a roast of beef isn't authentic because it wasn't roasted on a spit over an open fire.

Bottom line: Bronx Pizza slices are OK as a late-night snack, but only if you favor thin, dry, crispy crusts and don't have your expectations set too high. I prefer a Bronx Pizza slice over much of the soggy, tasteless pizza found in Pattaya.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

This is opposite little sussie's  the small cheap beer bar but the sign says it isn't open till 1530 which is too late for me when I m in that area.. shame really...

Got back late from watching pattaya utd and needed something so decided on here,two slices for 99baht is good value as the slices are a good size,although i only went the one time i enjoyed what i had,and it did the job!

Nice people. Sat and chatted with the owner and American manager when they first opened. Good pizza. Can order whole pie also and take away if you like. Glad to see they are still around. Bar girls across the street always catcalling as you sit outside. Very little room to sit, though. Designed for takeaway.

Looks good, anyone know the cost of a whole one?

Looks good, anyone know the cost of a whole one?

the pic on the wall looks like PROMOTION 420

the pic on the wall looks like PROMOTION 420

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

• 1 year later...

Had two excellent slices yesterday.

Be careful if you are allergic, because yesterday the toppings of the pizzas did not match what was written on the signs.

I know I'm asking about pizzas from over a year ago, but can you remember what toppings were mixed up? Thanks  :)

I know I'm asking about pizzas from over a year ago, but can you remember what toppings were mixed up? Thanks :)

Sorry, don't remember. I'm not sure that they have any signs any more. I just point at something that looks good.

Enticing, but all the same its only a couple blocks further to New york pizza house, from what ive sampled in Pattaya and Manila and Australia best pizza i ever had

Je to stejná společnost u vchodu metra LK z Diana? My favorite place and a pleasant Thai girl.

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

Archived