Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Keeniow Food

The food looks very nice I nearly always eat at KISS food but will definitely keep this place in mind for next month Thanks for letting us know

bypass KISS mate.  this place has it all over them. and another bonus is that it is not crowded like KISS (and the food is way more edible).

So she charges beer bar prices on her booze !! she`s trying to make living,can`t be easy give her a go...jmho

I said "Out of whack".....I made no comment  re: pricing....Up to her....I never quibble over prices

Leo @ 50 bt.....Chang @ 65... Is out of whack to me.

The photo shows both Large & small Chang, Heineken & Singha (plus small San Mig Light) but no Leo

If these prices actually mean 50 Bt for a small Leo & 65 for a large Chang, then her prices are extremely reasonable....but the Menu does not specify and on first viewing it does not seem logical

Kao jai????

11695760_953231001402478_5721005900448690029_n.jpg

Ja has a very cute friend coming to help this week. Added incentive to come eat. :)

I said "Out of whack".....I made no comment  re: pricing....Up to her....I never quibble over prices

Leo @ 50 bt.....Chang @ 65... Is out of whack to me.

The photo shows both Large & small Chang, Heineken & Singha (plus small San Mig Light) but no Leo

If these prices actually mean 50 Bt for a small Leo & 65 for a large Chang, then her prices are extremely reasonable....but the Menu does not specify and on first viewing it does not seem logical

Kao jai????

Chang is 50 as well, was just priced wrong by menu printers.

I'm going to go against the grain on this place. Have been there twice, once a few months ago and once a week or so ago. Both times with the tgf.

Both times our first two choices have been "no hab". A week ago we were there at lunch, so not late when things could've run out. She didn't have beef or crispy pork, which happened to be the tgf's first two choices. So she settled for Krapow moo, which with an egg was 70 baht for a frankly pathetic portion. My pad thai did not taste like pad thai at all, no tamarind flavour just tasted of fried noodle in soy sauce. And for 60 baht not a patch on the 40 baht pad Thai available outside my condo entrance.

Our first visit was a similar story, my Penang chicken was like a soup rather than a dry curry which is what it traditionally is.

Won't be going back, the Tgf sat there with a face like thunder on our last visit and her parting remark was "I don't know why you want to come here again after last time!".

A much better option is Bites restaurant further down soi excite opposite Continental bakery.

I've eaten there twice this past week with my gf. I had green curry chicken one time and mixed veggies with chicken the next. My gf had seafood with basil and chilies one time and seafood salad the next. 

Both times were at lunch and we didn't have any problems similar to the previous post. Overall I thought the food was pretty good as did my gf. Not really a place I'd make special trip for but since I live in the area it's probably a place I will put on the regular rotation. 

I have not eaten there, but think the water and soft drink price is very reasonable!..

Had good food there..place was introduced to me by Bm: Blondknight   ...he knows all the best places, and we are all waiting for his book to come out. This place has good food and runs a close 2nd to the "whole in the wall" on Bukkhao near the gold shops. It is less crowded than the place on Bukkhao. Also, for cheap food all malls have food courts. KISS really ain't great...I went there only to see how bad it was...fine I guess...unless you have tasted decent Thai food.

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

I'm going to go against the grain on this place. Have been there twice, once a few months ago and once a week or so ago. Both times with the tgf.

Both times our first two choices have been "no hab". A week ago we were there at lunch, so not late when things could've run out. She didn't have beef or crispy pork, which happened to be the tgf's first two choices. So she settled for Krapow moo, which with an egg was 70 baht for a frankly pathetic portion. My pad thai did not taste like pad thai at all, no tamarind flavour just tasted of fried noodle in soy sauce. And for 60 baht not a patch on the 40 baht pad Thai available outside my condo entrance.

Our first visit was a similar story, my Penang chicken was like a soup rather than a dry curry which is what it traditionally is.

Won't be going back, the Tgf sat there with a face like thunder on our last visit and her parting remark was "I don't know why you want to come here again after last time!".

A much better option is Bites restaurant further down soi excite opposite Continental bakery.

I avoided chiming in for quite a while--but to me it's just a normal Thai "order food" place with one exception--the prices are much higher. Pat grapao *with an egg* over rice should be about 35-40 baht. My local place---perhaps 500 meters away from this restaurant, gives me an omelette with minced pork (a la carte) for 30 baht not 60. Out of whack indeed.

Sorry I haven't posted another Keeniow restaurant. I will try to do so more often. I know many of you have been here, but here's probably the most well known, Tin Cup/Hole in the Wall. I eat here every few days. Meals are good (however have only tried a few different dishes). Today I had the Phad Kapow Moo Kai Dow (In photo), which is probably my favorite Thai dish. All my previous dishes have been very good. This dish was good although it was a tad bit salty. Still enjoyed it however. 50 baht (I think 40 baht for the dish and 10 baht for the fried egg). Good condiments and good ice water is always a bonus. It's nice to eat in a restaurant for the same prices as a cart. Menu does not have prices which is usually a bad sign, however, everything here is cheap (Most standard dishes are 40 baht).No air con but has ceiling fans. The place can get quite busy but sharing tables is the norm.There's a very cute girl that was working today (in the background of the 14th pic but some of the pics cut off the rightside in the thread...click actual photo for full view) which doesn't hurt either. Squat toilet.

Location: On Soi Bukhau between LK Metro and Soi Honey (LK Metro entrance in 1st photo background)

https://www.google.com/maps/@12.929422,100.885198,3a,75y,124.2h,75.88t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1suGXgngjKs2NJGwzx9vIIPg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

IMG_0294.JPG

IMG_0295.JPG

IMG_0296.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

IMG_0308.JPG

IMG_0310.JPG

IMG_0312.JPG

IMG_0313.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ate at "Ja Thai restaurant" 2 days ago, well sort of ate some of my meal.

I ordered Krapow moo kai dow, (fried pork and basil with rice and a fried egg).

When the meal came out, I was immediately concerned, as it didnt look like what I was expecting, this dish had bits of broccoli, cauliflower(unusual in this dish) and the minced pork looked partially cooked, glistening , grey and watery.

Against my better judgement, I attempted to eat the meal, and knew that the flavour was not right, I ate about 20% of the dish and feigned being full, and couldnt eat any more. The meal cost 90 Baht (including the 20 Baht for a coke zero).

I went from this eatery to R Con bar and had a couple of beers, and had a slight sweat/ fever up at the end of my beers, which I thought was part of a flu I was just getting over. I went home had a cool shower and felt better, decided on quiet night in.

It was early the next morning that the , diarrhea and vomiting started, the past 12 to 24 hours spent staggering from my bed to the toilet, i managed to keep sipping water throughout this time as I knew I was at risk of dehydrating, but this would just go straight through me.

I actually lost 4 kgs over this period of time , mostly fluid i would imagine,but, I will never eat here again, and I will never eat a meal that I am suspect on upon arrival at the table.

Be careful out there.

• 2 weeks later...

I ate at "Ja Thai restaurant" 2 days ago, well sort of ate some of my meal.

I ordered Krapow moo kai dow, (fried pork and basil with rice and a fried egg).

When the meal came out, I was immediately concerned, as it didnt look like what I was expecting, this dish had bits of broccoli, cauliflower(unusual in this dish) and the minced pork looked partially cooked, glistening , grey and watery.

Against my better judgement, I attempted to eat the meal, and knew that the flavour was not right, I ate about 20% of the dish and feigned being full, and couldnt eat any more. The meal cost 90 Baht (including the 20 Baht for a coke zero).

I went from this eatery to R Con bar and had a couple of beers, and had a slight sweat/ fever up at the end of my beers, which I thought was part of a flu I was just getting over. I went home had a cool shower and felt better, decided on quiet night in.

It was early the next morning that the , diarrhea and vomiting started, the past 12 to 24 hours spent staggering from my bed to the toilet, i managed to keep sipping water throughout this time as I knew I was at risk of dehydrating, but this would just go straight through me.

I actually lost 4 kgs over this period of time , mostly fluid i would imagine,but, I will never eat here again, and I will never eat a meal that I am suspect on upon arrival at the table.

Be careful out there.

Yes, Ja puts broccoli and cauliflower in that dish. She uses more vegetables in dishes for nice color presentation. She buys fresh minced pork everyday at the market, along with the rest of her fresh ingredients. Maybe it what her food that made you sick, but just like anyplace, one time doesnt make a trend. I have personally ate over 200 meals there without incident. I have had food poisoning a few times in Thailand, and for me, each time the symptoms of diarrhea and vomiting have developed within 2-4 hours. I'm sure that may vary, but it seems odd for it to take 12+ hours for the severe symptoms to emerge from food poisoning. 

Sorry for your experience.

Ja has a loyal following of customers that return year after year for her cooking, because of her quality of food and good service.

7-11/Family Mart frozen foods all the way.

Plus I have never gotten sick from eating them, something to keep in mind.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

7-11/Family Mart frozen foods all the way.

Plus I have never gotten sick from eating them, something to keep in mind.

Some of the chilled meals from 7-11 are better than a lot of the Thai restaurants lol

, but it seems odd for it to take 12+ hours for the severe symptoms to emerge from food poisoning. 

It depends.... I agree with the poster that eating something that doesn't look or taste right upon arrival at the table is a bad idea. 

"After eating tainted food, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting, can start as early as one hour in the case of staph and as late as 10 days in the case of campylobacter."

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/understanding-food-poisoning-symptoms

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20long%20does%20it%20take%20for%20food%20poisoning%20to%20set%20in

• 3 months later...

It depends.... I agree with the poster that eating something that doesn't look or taste right upon arrival at the table is a bad idea. 

"After eating tainted food, abdominal cramps, diarrhea, and vomiting, can start as early as one hour in the case of staph and as late as 10 days in the case of campylobacter."

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/food-poisoning/understanding-food-poisoning-symptoms

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=how%20long%20does%20it%20take%20for%20food%20poisoning%20to%20set%20in

I'd agree with that.

And that's why it's impossible to say that he's got food poisoning from this place.

It could have been from anywhere he ate in the couple of days prior to that.

Thailand is a country of contrasts, in some respects they are totally up to date with western countries (mobile phones, internet etc), in other aspects they are in the dark ages.  Take basic food hygiene for example.

In UK we get taught about bacteria at school, and have public information films and even info from cookery programs.

I don't think there is any of that in Thailand, it's not uncommon to see uncooked and cooked meat stored together for instance.

I'm not knocking anyone, I just don't think they have any knowledge of that stuff.

Sent from my Panasonic Microwave Oven.

• 1 month later...

When you have the shits/foodpoisoning you might try and consider taking 6 bottles of yakult. Its a probiotica drink.

Last time i had foodpoisoning i had to fly the day after and i was running to the toilet every 35 min orso, it cleared me right up in a few hours time, and was a lifesaver at that time..

yakult-bottle-swapped-a-u.jpg

Archived