Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Which Encryption software and cloud service do you use?

mrboring37

Frankly, I'm not sure why people use cloud services...third-parties will always fuck you over.

Just get a cheap cloud-based NAS and leave it in your home safely.

"Safety" is the reason many people use these cloud services. A kind of backup.

Imagine a tornado destroying your house... What about your NAS ? :sad:

Less unlikely, imagine a lightning falling near your house, destroying any electronic device... :unsure:

Important data must be store in 2 distant places. Cloud is convenient. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like scare tactics to put people off using TOR.

Afaik, in all cases when someone has been tracked down via TOR it's down to user error not the TOR system.

Wasn't there a conspiracy post you can better reply to, Occam?

he's right though. the only way you can track someone via The Onion is by owning the entry node, the exit node and have a way to track packets from the entry node to b-site (so maybe someone like the NSA... who run many entry and exit nodes)

Among competing hypotheses, the one with the fewest assumptions should be selected.

Well, The great irony is that Occam's razor is really just a baseless generic assumption. so it would be utter buffoonery to think it could be applied to all or even most problems/questions.   It's really just a nice sound bite with no scientific basis, wiki sums it up nicely:

In the scientific method, Occam's razor is not considered an irrefutable principle of logic or a scientific result; the preference for simplicity in the scientific method is based on the falsifiability criterion. For each accepted explanation of a phenomenon, there may be an extremely large, perhaps even incomprehensible, number of possible and more complex alternatives, because one can always burden failing explanations with ad hoc hypotheses to prevent them from being falsified; therefore, simpler theories are preferable to more complex ones because they are more testable.

In short Occam's razor is 14th century ye olde bullshit!

But, the back story on the demise of Truecrypt had already been mentioned by another BM so I didn't think it necessary to repeat.

--------

The TOR "vulnerability" mentioned in your article is a different kettle of fish.

The old chestnut about compromising TOR via controlling the exit/entry nodes has been part of the TOR documentation for almost as long as TOR has existed, it is a proof of concept vulnerability only.  Anyone who knows what they are doing(can manually configure TOR) would never get caught out by this.

In reality, it would be almost impossible to predict/control the exit/entry nodes of a potential target even for the NSA.

So, this story about how a university cracked TOR to help the authorities track someone down.....sounds like bullshit.  If it were true there would be a flood of stories on TOR related arrests as the vast majority of internet criminality is routed through TOR, even the US military use it.

Okay - well, enjoy your cloud uploads. I'll use my own hardware and trust no-one...  :WinkGrin1:

How do you move your data from where you are to where your hardware is located?

You take your storage hardware to where the hardware containing the data is located and put a cable between the two...:P

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

How do you move your data from where you are to where your hardware is located?

Uploaded directly to my network drive over vpn. 

Call it my own cloud storage. I don't deny that remote disk services are convenient, but I just don't trust Google, Dropbox (hello Condolezza Rice...) or many others with my data, so I roll my own Synology box for a few hundred euros, put in any 3.5" HDs lying around into a Hybrid drive (they do not have to match, so dead easy and cheap) -- right now I've got 4TB mirrored -- and set it up on your network and use it like Dropbox. All the apps are there and they're fast and easy, plus no-ones scanning your data...   ;) 

Just get a cheap cloud-based NAS and leave it in your home safely.

Again, a NAS is great if you have many (or voluminous) data to save,

but there is no safety if all your data are in only one place.

You never know what can happen to your NAS (fire, flood, mishandling, virus, ...)

An encrypted copy in the Cloud give you this security :)

379371_main.jpg

By this I assume that you mean that it is encrypted before it is uploaded. How do you manage that? It wouldn't be very convenient to encrypt all your data and upload it all every time you want to do an update.

There is a new article today about Microsoft taking the US government to court to stop them accessing privite information in the cloud without notifying the owner: Microsoft sues U.S. government over data requests

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Again, a NAS is great if you have many (or voluminous) data to save,

but there is no safety if all your data are in only one place.

You never know what can happen to your NAS (fire, flood, mishandling, virus, ...)

PastelGlaringChafer.gif

Unless your cloud service is also whacked. 

Everything is relative to likelihood. I'm not big on FUD, and I keep off-site backups. 

Nonetheless, this thread is about encrypting data so that no-one but you can get at it -- for whatever reason OP had in mind. We're off topic considerably when we're yabbering about cloud services that are insecure because of their business model (hello Dropbox, Box, Microsoft Cloud, Google Drive and others...)

If you want to move your data securely, between yourself and your repo, then you need to host your own file service. Otherwise you're insecure once your files go into their system. 

he's right though. the only way you can track someone via The Onion is by owning the entry node, the exit node and have a way to track packets from the entry node to b-site (so maybe someone like the NSA... who run many entry and exit nodes)

... or in the case of the Silk Road idiot, by using your real name and email...

By this I assume that you mean that it is encrypted before it is uploaded. How do you manage that?

It wouldn't be very convenient to encrypt all your data and upload it all every time you want to do an update.

It's in fact very easy. All important/personal files are already encrypted on my computer. I have a daily backup (rsync) on my local NAS of my files, and a nightly backup of my NAS towards a Cloud (private storage area).

The software I use (AxCrypt, but I suppose most do the same) will automatically decrypt/recrypt files I want to modify/edit. It doesn't change the way you use them: double-click and opened in corresponding application.

It's in fact very easy. All important/personal files are already encrypted on my computer. I have a daily backup (rsync) on my local NAS of my files, and a nightly backup of my NAS towards a Cloud (private storage area).

The software I use (AxCrypt, but I suppose most do the same) will automatically decrypt/recrypt files I want to modify/edit. It doesn't change the way you use them: double-click and opened in corresponding application.

I forgot that in Windows you can use Encrypting File System to do the same thing. Although you need to be careful because if you have to reinstall Windows you will have a problem accessing the files.

... or in the case of the Silk Road idiot, by using your real name and email...

It's the drugs man...

"I'm not just the owner, I'm a customer too!"

• 9 months later...

I have office personal for work which gives me 1TB on onedrive

i find it excellent  :GoldenSmile1:

I have a Problem..... I just can't decide if its a good problem or a bad problem...

Archived