IGNORED

2015 Ashes series - Eng V Aus

mousemat

Right then, I thought it was about time I started my Ashes thread as this is the highlight of the sporting summer and a great opportunity for us to start a new era with some positive cricket.

This will be a tough summer for England with a strong Australian side looking to win back to back Ashes for the first time in a few years.

If Cook can find form and Root continues his superb average then we should be able to post some challenging scores.

As much as I like to remain positive, I find it difficult to believe that England will win but if we play well then a 1-1 draw can be achieved. This would be a step forward and a platform to build for the winter series in South Africa.

1st Investec Test - Wed Jul 8 - Sun Jul 12, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff

2nd Investec Test - Thu Jul 16 - Mon Jul 20, Lords, London,

3rd Investec Test  - Wed Jul 29 - Sun Aug 2, Edgbaston, Birmingham

4th Investec Test - Thu Aug 6 - Mon Aug 10,  Trent Bridge, Nottingham

5th Investec  Test -  Thu Aug 20 - Mon Aug 24, Kia Oval, London

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you get a 1-1 draw with 5 tests. To get that I can only see 3 draws and a win either side.

That's right ,  but i would say 2-2 is more likely as test matches move on so quickly these days with 4 runs an over the normal scoring rate .

England to do well , need to hit the ground running ,  any faltering and the likes of Starc and Johnson in particular , and the Aussies in general will be ruthless .

Cook ,Lyth & Ballance need to score consistently at the top of the England order  , if Bell and Root are batting with just 50 on the board it will be a long summer .    Adil Rashid challenging for a spinners place ,could put Moeen Ali under pressure .     Mitchell Marsh could take Watson's place for Australia .

Looking forward to a good contest .

Mikeyboy

Right then, I thought it was about time I started my Ashes thread as this is the highlight of the sporting summer and a great opportunity for us to start a new era with some positive cricket.

This will be a tough summer for England with a strong Australian side looking to win back to back Ashes for the first time in a few years.

If Cook can find form and Root continues his superb average then we should be able to post some challenging scores.

As much as I like to remain positive, I find it difficult to believe that England will win but if we play well then a 1-1 draw can be achieved. This would be a step forward and a platform to build for the winter series in South Africa.

1st Investec Test - Wed Jul 8 - Sun Jul 12, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff

2nd Investec Test - Thu Jul 16 - Mon Jul 20, Lords, London,

3rd Investec Test  - Wed Jul 29 - Sun Aug 2, Edgbaston, Birmingham

4th Investec Test - Thu Aug 6 - Mon Aug 10,  Trent Bridge, Nottingham

5th Investec  Test -  Thu Aug 20 - Mon Aug 24, Kia Oval, London

Kia Oval?

The Oval is Kia Oval now?

How about the pitches, Lords & Oval should spin with the heat around, that gives Ozzies a edge. England need to rejig their batting order, they cannot have blockers come in 1,2 & 3, they will never gain any momentum in the innings.

................................................................................................................

Kia Oval?

The Oval is Kia Oval now?

Yes , and prior to that it was the " Fosters Oval "     Just advertising crap that will be dropped as soon as the contract is finished .

It will always be the Oval , i hope .

Mikeyboy 

Yes , and prior to that it was the " Fosters Oval "     Just advertising crap that will be dropped as soon as the contract is finished .

It will always be the Oval , i hope .

Mikeyboy

Fucking hell.

Next it will be ATandT St Andrews golf links.

the susies to win 3-0 with 2 tests drawn due to RAIN

any holes a goal

Ryan Harris , the Australian seamer has retired due to chronic knee problems .  Tough on the 35 year old as a good servant for the Aussies .

Pat Cummins replaces him in the test squad .

Mikeyboy

I am waiting for the Aussies to win the first one and then backing England to not lose 5-0. ....that said when one side looks certain to win old mother cricket has a funny way...England have their moments. KP averages over 50...why did they not give him a crack at the one days with NZ to see if he was socially fit? With him in the side things suddenly look different.

This version of me will not stay the same, tomorrow I will be different.

Guys we will be showing all the games live from 5pm at Secrets with special cider promotion as well.

attachicon.gifTHE ASHES FACEBOOK (W173mm x H80mm)-2.jpg

Come on Mr Egg. Obviously you are not wanting any Australians to go to Secrets to watch the cricket if you are promoting the event with a Cider special! :SoWhat1:

You need a decent beer special and some snags on the barbie to get the lads in. In Australia, only women and boys who like boys, drink Cider.  :ThumbUp6:

I am waiting for the Aussies to win the first one and then backing England to not lose 5-0. ....that said when one side looks certain to win old mother cricket has a funny way...England have their moments. KP averages over 50...why did they not give him a crack at the one days with NZ to see if he was socially fit? With him in the side things suddenly look different.

As you say Cricket has a habit of causing upsets.   Australia should win looking at the probable line ups and recent form but nothing's a given .

Pietersen is Poison , England have forgotten him already .   Huge talent , bigger Dickhead .

Mikeyboy

What's the best way to view this. It's not on Truevisions. Streaming is the only option but which site. Much as i would love to sit in a bar for 10 hours a day that's probably not an option.

Secrets cider promo? Nice.

Probably 3-1 Australia but depends on the English bowlers and the form of 'he bowls to the left, he bowls to the right' Johnson.

Try not to f#ck up the first day too much England. If you win the toss bat.

England bat ,  343 - 7 at stumps    Root's 134 a standout after    43 - 3  ,   although Brad Haddin might be quiet for a change , after dropping Root on 0  .

50's for Ballance & Stokes  and 3 wkts apiece for Starc and Hazlewood who looked the pick .

Mitch Johnson looked really flat and took some stick from the crowd . 

Good start to the series ,  things fairly even but this wicket will show signs of turn and uneven bounce later in the match , so Australia need to score big in their first innings . 

Mikeyboy

Managed to watch the days play as I was stuck at home due to the tube strike in London. I am hoping for a few more strikes during the Ashes and being able to work from home.

Its been good watching some positive cricket and both teams going for around 4 runs per over

I'm really happy for Moeen Ali as he is back to scoring runs and taking vital wickets.

I wonder if Starc will be able to bowl as he looks to have an ankle injury - this could be a massive game changer if the Aussies are a bowler down for our 2nd innings.

A couple of quick wickets in the morning then we have a decent chance of setting a large 4th innings run chase.

Another good hard days test cricket , and i would say England are edging it at the moment . 

Australia still have batting to come and would look to at least get to par on first innings .   Moeen Ali and Joe Roots bowling could be the key to this summers contest , 

Mitchell Starc's  injury is the last thing the Aussie's need .

Mikeyboy

England  430

Australia  308

England  289

Australia need 412 to win , and 2 days to do it in .   Although that may be only 1 day if it pisses down on sunday . ( forecast )

Many of the Australians looked bemused at the end of play , England going at them for a third day running .

Top entertainment from both sides ,   England favourites from here , as the pitch is really starting to turn now .

Mikeyboy

England won by 169 runs....

Crikey.....

Wonder how much the betting syndicate paid them? :GoldenSmile1:

I'm a bit surprised TBH

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

Tao 66, spanked them in every department. Cannot believe your are suggesting match fixing whether in jest or not. Having checked your profile not sure if you are English or a Convict. Just accept the fact that the better team won and we all move on to the next Test. Barmy Army

Tao 66, spanked them in every department. Cannot believe your are suggesting match fixing whether in jest or not. Having checked your profile not sure if you are English or a Convict. Just accept the fact that the better team won and we all move on to the next Test. Barmy Army!!! Tao 66, spanked them in every department. Cannot believe your are suggesting match fixing whether in jest or not. Having checked your profile not sure if you are English or a Convict. Just accept the fact that the better team won and we all move on to the next Test. Barmy Army!!!

Is that a stutter or do you repeat everything twice?

Australia have to make changes for Lords  ,  Second test can't come quick enough for England .

Peter Siddle their best bowler ( imo ) in English conditions must come in .   Probably for Mitchell Starc , who was their top bowler at Cardiff but has an ankle injury , and may not be fit .

Shane Watson sure to be replaced by Mitchell Marsh ,    Brad Haddin  had a shocker , and the reserve keeper Nevill should play , but Clarke will stick by his big mate .

Top 5 batsmen to remain .

Mikeyboy

Get in you beauty! Awesome stuff, where has this England team been hiding? As Clarke the Aussie captain himself said after the match England outplayed Australia in every part of the game. Just keep it flowing and in particular if we bowl as well as we did in the 1st match, 2nd is going to be very tough for the Aussies. 3-1 series win is what I'm hoping for now, unthinkable even afew weeks ago.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png                                                                                      

Wow – what an amazing performance by England!

Its been great to see the wickets spread across the bowling attack and not relying any particular bowler.

I’d like to see an improvement with our opening batsmen and watch them start to build a partnership, but I guess this will come as they develop a relationship and Lyth gains more experience.

Full credit to Starc who bowled well despite an injury – if he maintains form and fitness he will cause us some serious problems.

Random fact for the test: both teams 1st innings ended at exactly the same time, 12:14 BST (source Sky Sports)

Really looking forward to the Lords test :)

Archived