IGNORED

DR! I have a questions

herds

Cut a bit out of a pimsleur lesson for 'but'..

see attached

Thanks but it clearly says taa for but. The sentence says "taa mai mee bia khrap"=But we don't have any beer. I really can't hear the word you are refering to. It even says taa (spelt in their own transliteration) on the title of the sound clip.

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I actually added the dtae to the filename,

I knew the word for 'but' before listening to pimsleur so I didn't take all that much notice, but I always thought it sounded a little more like a 'b' was used.

laang jaack nan, pom ja hen koon << i'll see you afterwards

q. how long are you staying here?

a. jack nee, pom pak teenee gwaa song aa-tit<< "from now, I'll be staying here 2 more weeks " ...

not sure of the positioning of 'kwaa', I put it in the middle of the sentence instead of the end of the sentence as I thought it might then make the sentence sound like:

"from now, I'll be staying here more than 2 weeks"

thanks in advance people.

laang jaack nan, pom ja hen koon << i'll see you afterwards

q. how long are you staying here?

a. jack nee, pom pak teenee gwaa song aa-tit<< "from now, I'll be staying here 2 more weeks " ...

not sure of the positioning of 'kwaa', I put it in the middle of the sentence instead of the end of the sentence as I thought it might then make the sentence sound like:

"from now, I'll be staying here more than 2 weeks"

thanks in advance people.

If you'd put kwaa at the end of the sentence it would have meant that you were staying for longer than two weeks. it would have modified (increased) the two weeks. When used before it means further or more. I think you've got the hang of it.

I actually added the dtae to the filename,

I knew the word for 'but' before listening to pimsleur so I didn't take all that much notice, but I always thought it sounded a little more like a 'b' was used.

Yeah me too. I was almost cetain it was "b" being used. Maybe my hearings going :unsure:

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Yeah me too. I was almost cetain it was "b" being used. Maybe my hearings going :D

It is one of those sounds which has no direct equivalent in the English language. Falling somewhere between our "d" and "t". Perhaps you just haven't developed the "ear" for it yet. It does take time, as it does for the tones as well. I just played the mp3 file again and it's as clear as day to me. never mind.