IGNORED

DR! I have a questions

herds

Just got some words and phrases that I have had trouble with.

rip roy (lrip lroy) - I hear this a lot, though when i've asked thai's they either find it difficult to translate or say it has many different meanings:

ig - done ??

ig laew - already done ?

laew daa koon - up to you ? what's the 'daa' or is it meant be

Edited by herds

rip roy (lrip lroy) - I hear this a lot, though when i've asked thai's they either find it difficult to translate or say it has many different meanings:

Normal

ig - done ??

ig laew - already done ?

eek? means again

laew daa koon - up to you ? what's the 'daa' or is it meant be �•า ?

laew der koon (der means but)

spec - 'spec' means 'style'? I hear this a lot, girls will say something like "spec u ally", I think it means what type of girl do you find attractive (though I thought 'U' meant location, or perhaps they are saying english 'you'), so generally 'spec' means 'style'.

dont know

Boy - often ?

Boy toweli - how often ?

Boy boy - ??

You are correct, boy boy means very often

doo - watch e.g. watch a movie ?

hen - see e.g. I have seen that ?

mong - look e.g. I was looking at her ?

yes correct

yang mi doo - still not watched ?

mi couri doo - never watched ?

yang mi hen - I still cannot see (i.e. i'm blind) ?

mai koy means "never see/do before"

yang mai hen "not see that" (i think)

baang tee - ? I thought that this meant 'somewhere' but when I look in the t2e dictionary it says # sometimes ; occasionally# perhaps ; maybe

No idea

I have answered the best i could, Dr will come along and correct/answer it all.

ig - done ??

ig laew - already done ?

laew daa koon - up to you ? what's the 'daa' or is it meant be ��•า ?

spec - 'spec' means 'style'? I hear this a lot, girls will say something like "spec u ally", I think it means what type of girl do you find attractive (though I thought 'U' meant location, or perhaps they are saying english 'you'), so generally 'spec' means 'style'.

Boy - often ?

Boy toweli - how often ?

Boy boy - ??

doo - watch e.g. watch a movie ?

hen - see e.g. I have seen that ?

mong - look e.g. I was looking at her ?

yang mi doo - still not watched ?

mi couri doo - never watched ?

yang mi hen - I still cannot see (i.e. i'm blind) ?

baang tee - ? I thought that this meant 'somewhere' but when I look in the t2e dictionary it says # sometimes ; occasionally# perhaps ; maybe

Well the only ones that i spotted that Laa Mok hasn't already answered for you are "spec" =English abreviation of specification i.e. thuuk spec = as expected or up to specification.

Baang tee = maybe or sometimes.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

when they say "spec" in that term it means style.. you are right...

and when they said. spec u allai... they really using the word ( you = u ) in english..

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

when they say "spec" in that term it means style.. you are right...

and when they said. spec u allai... they really using the word ( you = u ) in english..

Or "what's your prefered specification?". It does mean style in that context though but it is an abbreviation of the English word specification.

สเปค

sà-bpèk

Found it now using "specification" as a search.

U makes sense now... "puyinh, koon spec ally"

"pom chawp puying tee song roy kilo"

ถูกไหม?

Edited by herds

สเปค

sà-bpèk

Found it now using "specification" as a search.

U makes sense now... "puyinh, koon spec ally"

ถูกไหม?

ถูกแล้ว

ถูกไหม?

i also hear alot of ( spec bab nai ) means the same

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

"pom chawp puying tee song roy kilo" == "pom chawp see puying" :Oops1:

Edited by herds

"pom chawp puying tee song roy kilo" == "pom chawp see puying" :D

"Pom chawp puying see khon" is more correct. When Thais quantify things they use classifiers i.e. Maa soong tua (Dogs two bodies) Phuying soon khon (Women two people). These days they do drop the clasifier sometimes but it's lazy Thai. It can be hard to learn all the classifiers so lots of peopl use "an" as it is pretty generic.

ah ok thanks, got it.

I do that already with things that I've learnt from audio tapes, like "pom haa paen song sam khon" where the 'khon' is the classifier, but I didn't know why.

I've not noticed the importance before as for example if I were to say "pom haa paen song sam" thai's would have understood that I just missed the classifier and 'let me off' so to speak.

Do you find many thai people drop words? I mean, the audio tapes I learnt from a while back have sentences that I just never her thai people say, "pom dong jai ja bai ging ah-haan glang wan" I just here Thai's say 'gin kow" or "bai gin kow" and things like "dieow nee, koon yak gin polami ka" >> "polami, ow mi".

Edited by herds

ah ok thanks, got it.

I do that already with things that I've learnt from audio tapes, like "pom haa paen song sam khon" where the 'khon' is the classifier, but I didn't know why.

I've not noticed the importance before as for example if I were to say "pom haa paen song sam" thai's would have understood that I just missed the classifier and 'let me off' so to speak.

Do you find many thai people drop words? I mean, the audio tapes I learnt from a while back have sentences that I just never her thai people say, "pom dong jai ja bai ging ah-haan glang wan" I just here Thai's say 'gin kow" or "bai gin kow" and things like "dieow nee, koon yak gin polami ka" >> "polami, ow mi".

Sure mate, they cut corners in every day speech but my advice is to learn the correct way of saying something. That way you will understand the language better. it's easy to condense things if you know the full sentence but not so easy to do it the other way around if you don't.

rewinding a bit...

eek = again

eek laew = already have?

Think of it like "eek" = more and "eek laew" = again or even more. That's about as acurate as an English translation as I could give in one sentence. Examples "mee eek mai"= do you have any more? and "Fon tok eek laew" = it's raining again (or even more).

"Pom chawp puying see khon" is more correct. When Thais quantify things they use classifiers i.e. Maa soong tua (Dogs two bodies) Phuying soon khon (Women two people). These days they do drop the clasifier sometimes but it's lazy Thai. It can be hard to learn all the classifiers so lots of peopl use "an" as it is pretty generic.

You've got that right. Trying to remember is a bloody nightmare for each word but lucikily some are grouped which is good. The classifier sentence structure changes depending on the word used. Eg: Sentences with nii(which) are different to ordinal numbers or this (nee) or (nan) or la (each/per). But it usually comes after the word:

I thought the word for "but" was "ber" (low tone)?

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Think of it like "eek" = more and "eek laew" = again or even more. That's about as acurate as an English translation as I could give in one sentence. Examples "mee eek mai"= do you have any more? and "Fon tok eek laew" = it's raining again (or even more).

Theres also eek noi (a little)

ah ok thanks, got it.

Also "gin laew" eat already. I've found that they can be pretty lazy when speaking and when your used to the correct way of saying something it throws you a little when they cut bits off. I always have to take a moment until it registers what they've said even though I know I know it and its simple :rolleyes:

Typical one is "mai roo" = "dont know" when I always say "Pom mai saab" or "Pom mai roo"

You've got that right. Trying to remember is a bloody nightmare for each word but lucikily some are grouped which is good. The classifier sentence structure changes depending on the word used. Eg: Sentences with nii(which) are different to ordinal numbers or this (nee) or (nan) or la (each/per). But it usually comes after the word:

I thought the word for "but" was "ber" (low tone)?

The word for "but" that I've always heard/used is Taa (low tone) แต่ . There could be others but if there are they are not commonly used. The only word corresponding with "ber" that springs to my mind is "ber" meaning number. Just a borrow word from English really. Have you got an example of "ber" meaning but? you might be right but I've never heard anything like it myself.

I use dtae for 'but' as well, I have to be careful as sometimes I get 'if' taa - ถัา pronunciation mixed up.

Not sure of the tone but the only ber I know is for number, "ber ally" and the like.

Edited by herds

The word for "but" that I've always heard/used is Taa (low tone) แต่ . There could be others but if there are they are not commonly used. The only word corresponding with "ber" that springs to my mind is "ber" meaning number. Just a borrow word from English really. Have you got an example of "ber" meaning but? you might be right but I've never heard anything like it myself.

Its just I've always used it from when I learnt Pimslars a while ago. Havent used anything different but will use Taa from now on as cant find any references to it.

An eg would be:

Pom mai mee ngern Thai ber pom mee ngern dolla maak - I have no Thai money but alot of Dollars

I use pimsluers as well, it sounds like แบ on there.

Sorry yes my english wasnt great haha. Its sounds like when we say the word "bear". Its also used a bit in my Learn Thai Podcasts in conversations as well. I've not had someone say they dont understand me when Ive used it so far. Sorry for all the confusion :Chokdee3:

Sorry yes my english wasnt great haha. Its sounds like when we say the word "bear". Its also used a bit in my Learn Thai Podcasts in conversations as well. I've not had someone say they dont understand me when Ive used it so far. Sorry for all the confusion :Chokdee3:

As I said before, I've never heard a word that fits that descriptiom personally. I'll ask some Thai people later on. One thing that did cross my mind is that taa is often used together with the word waa ว่า as in "taa waa". Another word that is also often used with waa and sounds a bit like ber might be plaa แปล meaning to translate. Is it possible that this is the word you are hearing? The only other words that I know of that might be used for but is haakwaa แหกว่า which means apart from. If you find the word you are looking for then let me know.