IGNORED

Complete destruction of the Pattaya's beach !

Jade & James

So much potential in this place but apparently the complete lack of understanding what they need to do to put it right.

If they hired Western or even smart Asian holiday resort planners they could improve this Town so much.

Build proper pavements. Enforce good driving practices. Clean the drainage systems. Put their electric cables underground. Maintain, clean and manage the beach properly.

It wouldn't take much to do this. But, alas.

I believe greed is the motivating factor in the shit job they do on public works projects. If they did it right the first time they'd only be able to collect the graft one time. Doing a shit job every time means they get to skim their share of the payoffs multiple times. Up to the Thai people to say enough is enough, but when the majority think corruption is ok then there isn't much hope for a change.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably true. However there has only been the one down-pore since the project has been completed. With the wet season not far away it will not be long until there is a lot more rain. This will probably lead to some remedial action that will be ugly as sin. They show lovely photos of Pattaya in tourist literature but it is far from reality. Not a good way to get repeat business.

been a lot lot more than that mate.

it was completed well before last years rainy season

without going into the mybook pic archives (and there a lot in there) almost all the work was done by xmas 2013 and all done inc the boardwalks by early 2014 and although last year the pattaya rainfall was 20% down on the average for the previous 30 yrs  it still got it's fair share of storms with most bigger than the recent event

By incompetence putting off the non monger tourists is surely in our interests ?

The beach is crap, even when its at its best and there is no way I would go in the sea in Pattaya voluntarily.

Perhaps we are underestimating the powers that be and maybe they actually want to return Pattaya to its mongering heyday by deliberately not doing the drainage right and doing shoddy ill-conceived repairs on the BR walkway thereby ensuring that "Family" tourists will not want to come back and will spread the word to others.

Nah probably not.

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

no 1 has mention they have sorted the rain problem out

they have put pumps along beach to pump the water away

onto the sand witch will then be washed away plus u have to

cross over 10 inch pipes crossing the walk way

they have put some temp pumps in AGAIN cos they had them in the same places last year too and they were not esp effective......

march 25 001 (Custom).JPG

here is the monster green hino that lives at the south end a great deal of the time above a pump room that they built  when they did the beach rd work but no pumps were ever put in.

they had moved what i have christened thunderbird 8 out the way plus the other pumps that had been sitting on standby  for the just finished 3 day music festival, following the storm they put them back...............bit late then!

march 25 005 (Custom).JPG

these are the partially sealed exits from that pump room.......

march 25 003 (Custom).JPG

this is one of a pair of temp pumps opposite central shopping, and 4 similar ones by Soi 6

march 27a 024 (Custom).JPG

march 25 007 (Custom).JPG

south end of the beach pic taken march 25 the day after the recent storm as are all the pics ......... 25, 27 or 31.

march 25 009 (Custom).JPG

yes there was damage but i've seen much worse

march 25 010 (Custom).JPG

march 25 011 (Custom).JPG

beach, both ways, taken from the boardwalk by mike shopping the morning after

march 25 012 (Custom).JPG

total destruction? don't think so myself

That beach is never really coming back; you can ship all the sand from the Mekong Delta you like (remember that one from 5 years ago?)

Maybe it's time they just cut their losses, stop trying to make a silk purse from a sow's ear, get rid of the sand altogether (well, maybe leave some beach sections where the beach actually works to the north). Sink some marine piles and make the beachfront for a few hundred metres north of Walking Street up to Klang a raised promenade instead of trying to fight nature, getting the drainage right underneath and pump the shite to deep ocean outfalls (the way Sydney did to clean up its beaches water quality). Run some jetties out for the roped off swimming areas and jetski hire, even a few large piers with attractions on them, put in a decent marina development.

That to me would be a 'vision' for a 21st Century tourist destination.

Or, just limp on as a destination for mongers, cheap Asian package tours and working class Russians.

few more.......

march 25 020 (Custom).JPG

both ways from the same spot between the wave hotel near soi 10 (above looking south)  and then north towards central festival shopping

march 25 021 (Custom).JPG

march 31 034 (Custom).JPG

taken march 31 up by pattaya klang, again yes there is damage but not total

march 31 035 (Custom).JPG

now as to the drain at the side of the rd it is exactly the same as the last one, no bigger no smaller, just shifted when they widened beach road.

but that is not the main drain which is under beach rd and runs it's entire length to the old pump station beside the pattaya beer garden.

there are cross channels under the road at 90 deg to the kerb that connect the small side drain to the big one

when they built the new pump room (the one still without a permanent pump) they connected it to that main drain with a large diameter pipe.

the damage up by soi 1 to the sea wall was done in early 2014 (if i remember right) by the tides.

never repaired of course and subsequent storm runoff floods have made it a lot worse.

hope that helps explain things

i should add that some sort of work is pending on either beach rd or the beach sand extention work. dunno which yet.

if it's the drainage i believe there is a plan to put some large outfall pipes in 2 or 3 places out into the bay to be used when a storm hits..........the old pumping station at the south end only does this at such times, other times it is pumped away for treatment.

evidence of the impending work is shown by the recent appearance of 6/7 air conditioned portakabins at the south end of the beach which they have been fencing off.......

april 4b 010 (Custom).JPG

they bear the name italian-thai which is one of the more professional outfits out here so i think it's the drainage work.

the damage and holes above are due to the sea wall at the south end being undermined by the sea

complete destruction is not correct.

yes there was damage but mostly limited to opposite soi's 13/2 (soi post office) heading north.

i walk the coconut bar a lot and i've seen the beach in much worse condition.

i have some pics but there is footy on and i'm out to watch some.

i'll post some tomorrow

Footy huh so how did your team do :-)

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

i've  had a dig in the mybook for some of the pump room construction and pipe that connects it to the main drain under the rd not the diddy thing at the side mentioned in the op.

sept oct 28 239_800x600.jpg

sept oct 28 240_800x600.jpg

sept oct 28 241_800x472.jpg

sept oct 30 233_800x600.jpg

reports that 007 was involved have not been confirmed

This is probably true. However there has only been the one down-pore since the project has been completed. With the wet season not far away it will not be long until there is a lot more rain. This will probably lead to some remedial action that will be ugly as sin. They show lovely photos of Pattaya in tourist literature but it is far from reality. Not a good way to get repeat business.

been a lot lot more than that mate.

it was completed well before last years rainy season

without going into the mybook pic archives (and there a lot in there) almost all the work was done by xmas 2013 and all done inc the boardwalks by early 2014 and although last year the pattaya rainfall was 20% down on the average for the previous 30 yrs  it still got it's fair share of storms with most bigger than the recent event

Pic of the infamous Hilton Waterfall taken 15 Oct, 2013 after the walkway was finished. IIRC, they had to repair this section three times before they got it right. In the end they finally figured out they needed to give the storm runoff an easier path to the sea rather than let the water seek a more destructive route. The solution was to lower the walkway on either side of this section.

IMG_4250.jpg

When did that contraction take place?

if u mean the pump room and the pipe about august to december 2013.

took a while it's got thicker walls and more re-bar than most condo projects

khun star wars that is a classic pic, i've seen it before but it always makes me smile

if u mean the pump room and the pipe about august to december 2013.

took a while it's got thicker walls and more re-bar than most condo projects

khun star wars that is a classic pic, i've seen it before but it always makes me smile

One of my favorites I took during the Beach Rd widening project. Hoping to see it make a reappearance during the next rainy season.

Pic of the infamous Hilton Waterfall taken 15 Oct, 2013 after the walkway was finished. IIRC, they had to repair this section three times before they got it right. In the end they finally figured out they needed to give the storm runoff an easier path to the sea rather than let the water seek a more destructive route. The solution was to lower the walkway on either side of this section.

attachicon.gifIMG_4250.jpg

I wouldn't be too difficult to align with every soi  on the walkway, to cut  the kerb away, then cut a deep channel   the width of the walkway bridge  the top level with the pathway so people can walk freely. Then where the sand meets the wall there would need to be something similar to a driveway all the way to the waters edge, this would need to be done at the end of each and every soi. This way the water would flow freely out to the sea with out much impediment and  pedestrians would not be inconvenienced and the beach and promenade would not suffer as much either.

Also fine those who put the sandbags on the wall.

following a storm early oct 2014 we have the old pump room turned on..........

oct 4 043_800x600.jpg

oct 4 034_800x600.jpg

outflow via the party blocked off new pump room which has no pump other than the mobile thunderbird 8

oct 4 042_800x600.jpg

oct 4 040_800x600.jpg

Completely????

The beach has gone ?

Why I not believe?

Sorry if I misunderstood Im speed reading on my old S2 in the Cambo sunshine :-)

I wouldn't be too difficult to align with every soi  on the walkway, to cut  the kerb away, then cut a deep channel   the width of the walkway bridge  the top level with the pathway so people can walk freely. Then where the sand meets the wall there would need to be something similar to a driveway all the way to the waters edge, this would need to be done at the end of each and every soi. This way the water would flow freely out to the sea with out much impediment and  pedestrians would not be inconvenienced and the beach and promenade would not suffer as much either.

I was thinking the same thing. How hard could this be? If underground drainage is inadequate then give the rainwater a non-destructive path to the beach waters edge.

If you mean .............

As youre thinking the same as Harry could you answer the Q I asked him please....post above yours.

If you mean dig up all those shop fronts...how hard?....Id say damn near impossible.

I think I may have confused you a bit, my writing style isn't the greatest.

I meant the footpath or walkway, promenade that aligned with each soi, example as the water ran out of the soi and hit the beach side of the walkway, cut the paving away then dig further down to the high point of the sand  a channel from the kerb side to the beach and as wide as a Soi. Then cap it with a concrete the fitted in with the walkway  you would not even realise it was a cap/ mini bridge. Then where the sand met the opening of this channel have something similar to a concrete driveway  That had a wall each side sunk fairly deep so the tide would not undermine it.

Maybe something like this might work?

I did not mean to interfere with the sidewalk on the shop side of beach road, but not being an engineer maybe my idea is flawed. failing that I can't see it being fix unless they do what was done with the london sewer system. yes "Thames Water " would be the ideal peole to sort it I reckon.

Remember when Central Festival's lower level flooded right after it opened?  It stunk for 2 years!

As for sand and trees and "beach"....eh, all I need is a comfortable chair in an air conditioned go go in front of a never ending line up of girls with as few clothes on as possible and a cold drink in my hand, a lot of baht in my pocket!

It may be selfish, but I already live in one of the greatest resort beach towns on the planet, I don't go to Pattaya for that. :)

Good to go, Alex

after hunting round the my book hard drive for south pattaya canal pics i found the first appearance of 2 of the councils then latest back pocket spanky new contract toys, thunderbirds 7 and 8................july 2014

july 9 119_800x600.jpg

july 9 120_800x588.jpg

july 9 121_800x600.jpg

july 9 122_800x600.jpg

above a new "S2" for on the edge

july 10 117_800x466.jpg

july 11 016_800x600.jpg

july 11 020_800x531.jpg

july 11 021_800x600.jpg

july 11 022_800x447.jpg

july 11 019_800x564.jpg

Great posting.   I couldn't agree more.  I have never seen a beachside resort community so intent on replacing trees and natural beauty with concrete.  If tourists wanted this why would they leave home expcept to drink and monger?   If TAT has any clues about attracting quality tourists they better clean up their act.  Would a five star hotel expect guests if their rooms were barren and full of garbage?

Archived