IGNORED

Danish Cuisine - Review

Danish cuisine - Review

Though being from Denmark I must admit that unless I cook myself it is rare that I eat Danish food and certainly Danish restaurants are not something you find in many places, so I was surprised when I found one in Pattaya and just had to give it a try.

The restaurant (Siam Royal Bar & Grill) is between Soi 5 & Soi 6 Phratamnak (Buddha Hill)

siam_royal_bar_grill.jpg

For starters I decided to check out a signature Danish dish: Frikadeller.

AKA Danish meat balls, but not to be confused with Swedish meat balls which do well in Ikea and possibly could at McDonalds as well.

Making frikadeller in Denmark is often a test of a future wife to see if she can measure up to moms cooking and frequently leads to mother-in-law giving cooking lessons :)

It was with that mindset that I placed my order and waited in anticipation.

I am glad to say that the score was above expectation and on a scale from 0-5, I settled on a 4+. So why not a 5? The only negative was that the meat was ground a little too fine (for which I got a good explanation). Flavor: 5, Cooking: 5, Garnishes: 5, Gravy: 5-, Presentation 5.

I ordered the dinner serving, but it also available as an open face sandwich on Danish rye bread. I did get a sample of the rye bread and it was of a quality the I doubt could be purchased in Thailand and I certainly know that it is near impossible to get in America.

Entre: Frikadeller with potatoes and brown gravy.

frikadeller_01.jpg

frikadeller_02.jpg

Side: Danish rye bread (sorry, I had to take a bite before thinking of a picture)

rugbrod_01.jpg

Well I returned a few days later to try a traditional Danish lunch dish. Pickled herring. The restaurant did not have the most traditional type, which may be a smart move as it is in part an acquired taste. I had a light marinated herring on rye bread with a light curry sauce, onion and egg.

ABSOLUTLY fantastic. A score of 5 on all accounts.

I enjoyed a beer with the lunch, but skipped the "almost" compulsory Aquavit (a potato based vodka flavored with dill or caraway and served in shots ice cold), only because I was motoring home.

sild_01.jpg

I can highly recommend Siam Royal Bar & Grill.

good review

....................................you don't do things by halves  :WinkGrin1:    

What? Aquavit isn't compulsory. Gammel Dansk is, though :)

It's funny if you fly via CPH, the SAS (i.e. Star Alliance) lounges have no hard booze served early in the morning. Except gammeldansk, just because one might want it with breakfast.

Thanks for the review, I do like Scandinavian food even know I am Australian, something to do with the beetroot and potatoes!  I have traveled the length and breadth of Pattaya in search of smorrebrod!

I made a kind of hash brown/pancake hybrid with red beetroot for breakfast today. (3 potatoes/1 beetroot/1 small onion/1 dl flour/2 dl milk/2 eggs, plus spices)

Maybe this is something for you Aussie beetroot fetishists ;)

Thanks for the review, I do like Scandinavian food even know I am Australian, something to do with the beetroot and potatoes!  I have traveled the length and breadth of Pattaya in search of smorrebrod!

You may have found it.

IIRC the menu had 6 or 7 different smørrebrød (open face sandwich).

I may be moving in to a condo nearby (how I found the place) and next time I am near I can take some pictures of the menu.

I like Danish Bread, the stuff I used to buy in England.

Plenty of good quality bread in Pattaya these days!

I made a kind of hash brown/pancake hybrid with red beetroot for breakfast today. (3 potatoes/1 beetroot/1 small onion/1 dl flour/2 dl milk/2 eggs, plus spices)

Maybe this is something for you Aussie beetroot fetishists ;)

Nice!  Lingonberry jam?

Plenty of good quality bread in Pattaya these days!

I saw some in Friendship, felt nice and soft, next time in there I will buy.

What? Aquavit isn't compulsory. Gammel Dansk is, though :)

Aquavit mostly is when you are not driving home. :)

It's funny if you fly via CPH, the SAS (i.e. Star Alliance) lounges have no hard booze served early in the morning. Except gammeldansk, just because one might want it with breakfast.

Talk about acquired taste.

If anyone think Jägermeister is a little rough, they haven't tried Gammel Dansk.

If you see good quality rye bread (where the kernels are whole and the dough is only there to hold the kernels together, let us know.

A good place is Beer Fest on 2nd RD next to Alcazar, they do half (no pun intended) a loaf of rye 40B, they even slice it for you!

If you see good quality rye bread (where the kernels are whole and the dough is only there to hold the kernels together, let us know.

Try the German Bakery Soi 12 Nakula, very good selection of bread.

post-82617-0-55558600-1427061968_thumb.jpg

Will do, you just got in or just woken up ?

Nice!  Lingonberry jam?

While lingonberry jam is hella tasty and red beetroot likewise, they kind of cancel each other. But in terms of northern flavours, I just threw a whole bunch of dried juniper berries in a batch of pulled pork I'm making. I expect great things. (But I have to wait 10 hours to see the result, I'm a believer in very slow pulled pork.)

Talk about acquired taste.

If anyone think Jägermeister is a little rough, they haven't tried Gammel Dansk.

I had one in your honour just now. (No, really, I did.) It usually spends its time at the very back of my booze stash, and the bottle is just too damned big, so any excuse to whittle it down, eh? ;)

It is a morning drink!

Gammel Dansk is a Danish alcoholic beverage produced by Danish Distillers Ltd. (De Danske Spritfabrikker A/S) in Dalby, Denmark in southeast Zealand (Sjælland). Traditionally it was drunk by Danes at certain festive occasions, often in connection with breakfast meals, brunch or at wedding anniversaries and birthday celebrations (which in Denmark traditionally begins in the morning).[1] The name "Gammel Dansk" translates directly from Danish as "Old Danish".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammel_Dansk

I had one in your honour just now. (No, really, I did.) It usually spends its time at the very back of my booze stash, and the bottle is just too damned big, so any excuse to whittle it down, eh? ;)

I am honored Sir, but better you than me :)

I will have a Gammel Dansk on occasions if it is put in front of me, but I rarely reach for it.

An ex boss of mine in the US who rarely drinks alcohol will not share when his has a bottle.

The again his favorite Scandinavian candy was mainly ammonium chloride.

It is a morning drink!

Gammel Dansk is a Danish alcoholic beverage produced by Danish Distillers Ltd. (De Danske Spritfabrikker A/S) in Dalby, Denmark in southeast Zealand (Sjælland). Traditionally it was drunk by Danes at certain festive occasions, often in connection with breakfast meals, brunch or at wedding anniversaries and birthday celebrations (which in Denmark traditionally begins in the morning).[1] The name "Gammel Dansk" translates directly from Danish as "Old Danish".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gammel_Dansk

Gammel Dansk also doubles up as a medicine.

Go to any old folks home and you will find that many elderly have a shot in the morning to "kick-start the digestive system"

Next time I come near Siam Royal, I am going to check out of they have some good ol' liver pate.

While the French may be known for the finer versions, Danish liver pate (leverpostej) is pretty hardy and can be amazing.

I am honored Sir, but better you than me :)

Since you're so gracious, I think I shall have yet another.

The again his favorite Scandinavian candy was mainly ammonium chloride.

I've actually gotten some thai girls hooked on that.

I tried gammeldansk with one or two as well, but that went the way you probably expect.

I've actually gotten some thai girls hooked on that.

There was a bar in Phuket owned by a Swedish guy (a motorbike did him in RIP) who would take a package of Turkish Pepper (ammonium chloride) and dilute it in a bottle of vodka for a week.

It would turn coal black and tasted great.

He marketed it as "Black Death".

Next time I come near Siam Royal, I am going to check out of they have some good ol' liver pate.

While the French may be known for the finer versions, Danish liver pate (leverpostej) is pretty hardy and can be amazing.

That bakery i showed a picture of sells some good liverwurst!  Now I am hungry for a liverwurst, beetroot and bacon smorrebrod

Will do, you just got in or just woken up ?

Got in hours ago and have a girl sleeping in the bed.

Most of the time I sleep just a couple of hours at a time.

I think I should go and bother her now before catching some more zzz's :)

Anyone knows were to get a Danish "Flæskesteg/Porkroast" in Pattaya! :ThankGod1:

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Anyone knows were to get a Danish "Flæskesteg/Porkroast[/size]" in Pattaya! :ThankGod1:

Plahgat

I had the same question.

The owner of this restaurant told me that he has it available once in a while, but getting a proper cut pork roast is apparently near impossible in Thailand.

Archived