IGNORED

Strange Attitude re: Getting 2 Month TR Visa in Cambodia

likethaigirls

January, 2014, saw Thai tourist arrivals *decrease* by -6.66%.

Presumably you are not suggesting that the recent enforcement of existing visa regs had anything whatsoever to do with such statistics as that ?

To clarify, as per Wikipedia:

1. Tourism in Thailand- including indirect effects- comes to 16.7% of the Thai GDP, as at 2012. As we see, that's more than double the 7% figure previously quoted.

2. S.B. (I hate calling you 'Scumbag' as I dignify you as a lady! Correct us if we're wrong...) -you were the one who said Tourism makes up only about 7% of Thailand's GDP. But I read in Wikipedia that "Tourism in Thailand- including indirect effects- accounted for 16.7% of the Thai GDP as of 2012."

January, 2014, saw Thai tourist arrivals *decrease* by -6.66%.

This is a sizeable chunge of change (not to mention employed people!)

OTOH, Thai manufacturing outstrips tourism, though by how much, I don't know.

There are a lot of neighboring countries- Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, that want a chunk of Thailand's money. And they're hungry, smart, and have touristic exotic appeal. There's only one real rule in this world: We want your money, and you bet we're gonna get it!!! Complacency won't win.

In any case what percentage is contributed by those who stay in Thailand long term on a tourist basis? I'm pretty sure it is insignificant.

According to TaT tourist numbers are down because of poor economic conditions in Europe and a drastic drop in the value of the Russian Ruble.

I still maintain that if the Thais wanted single people under the age of 50 to reside in the country long term for nothing other than pleasure there would be a visa for it.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Presumably you are not suggesting that the recent enforcement of existing visa regs had anything whatsoever to do with such statistics as that ?

To be clear: I prefer to avoid assumptions & suggestions. I like solid facts that can be proven. You'll note I've sourced my comments from Wikipedia.

To be clear: I prefer to avoid assumptions & suggestions. I like solid facts that can be proven. You'll note I've sourced my comments from Wikipedia.

I'm not sure that everyone accepts Wiki' as a a source of "solid facts which can be proven".

However, you're ducking the issue, which is that the recent enforcement of existing visa regulations (which is what this topic is about) did not begin until after those numbers were generated, so they're irrelevant.

If you want to discuss the effect, you have to make "assumptions and suggestions", but the fact remains that they are doing nothing to discourage genuine tourists, only duckers and divers who are misusing TVs and VW.

I assume that you are one?   :SoWhat1:

OP, so it appears you are living in Thailand on a Tourist Visa , but you are not a tourist, As you said yourself, you are living there for retirement purposes. The Thai govt has every right to enforce its laws and regulations, and does have other visa options open to those who choose to retire there. Just because you are law-abiding and dont even spit on the sidewalk, does not mean they must make your case a special circumstance. In the past 6 to 9 months I guess, its been all over media/ internet about the crackdown on these visas, and Ed visas also. Its surprising you have not come across it.

So unless you are prepared to consider the other options, you will have to try to negotiate your way around the tourist visa mess, which appears to be uncertain at the current time .

The Philippines has a much friendlier Tourist visa set up at the moment, where you dont have to leave the country for up to 3 yrs , and after the intial 30 day , plus 30 day extension, you can go onto 6 month extensions.

gusincebu, thank you. I guess I've got some homework ahead of me! Again, much appreciated!

What has the subject of this thread got to do with illegal immigrants in the US?? Seems to me that the US is doing as much as it can to get rid of them in a similar way as Thailand.

The issue has nothing to do with the economic contribution but the laws of the land. Unless you qualify for a long term visa you are not welcome (same as in the US, incidentally).

I thought my point was quite clear. Western countries do not allow foreigners to reside in their countries on tourist visas. Why should the Thais?

Is that a joke?   Are you in America?  I lived in Southern Cal for a number of years and I can tell you there are millions of illegals there not only from Mexico but also many from England.  Most of the Mexicans just cross the border illegally and anyone with a tourist visa just lets it expires and "overstays" as they say until they are caught.  In my Condo building alone 10 percent or more were illegal,

• 2 weeks later...

If your passport was almost full and had tons and tons of stamps in it, why not just go to the embassy in BKK ( assuming you are a G7 citizen ) and get a new passport book? It will be blank and you can just exit Thailand, go to a neighboring country and ask an agency to get you a visa. They will see a nice blank passport and it should go very smoothly. 

Hi! Partly to answer a P.M., partly to answer the above post by juiceManX1, it's like this: from 11/2012 to 1/2015, I have 5 Cambodian visa stamps in my passport.

The Khmers started being snarky re: 2 month TR Visas as of 10/2014.

I've done some homework, and found countries less problematic than Thailand where I would be quite pleased to be.

Case Closed!!!

p.s. Thanks for the advice re: Lao Visa Run. Maybe some day! But not for a visa run. For Lao.

Archived