IGNORED

Strange Attitude re: Getting 2 Month TR Visa in Cambodia

likethaigirls

I've been getting 2 month TR Visas in Cambodia for the last year or so, with no hassle.

The last time I went (10/2014) the Cambodian travel agencies' attitude had changed. They told me "no" they can't get me a visa, and did so in a snarky way (I usually find Khmers quite pleasant).

Finally, I found one (10/2014) that could get me a 2 month TR Visa- provided I had a ticket out of Thailand. And they *did* get it for me.

I went back in January, 2015 to the same agency that got me my visa in 10/2014. They wouldn't help me, and were unfriendly. So, I went to an agency recommended by a friend. They were nice, got me my visa, again with the air ticket out of Thailand... But they flipped through my passport and noticed several Thai visa stamps in it. They said this might be a problem. I said,"Why?" I believe they said the police might not like it. I told them to give the police my name & passport and run a check on me. They'll find nothing.

Look, people. I am a retired guy, financially independent. I can go where I want and do what I want, within the law. I've never been in trouble with the police in Thailand or anywhere. I am not working illegally anywhere- don't need to!

Just get a business visa on arrival in Cambodia and you can extend with a month for around 35$ and another month .... and another ... 

Just get a business visa on arrival in Cambodia and you can extend with a month for around 35$ and another month .... and another ...

Think he is talking getting a Thai visa Jerry.

Think he is talking getting a Thai visa Jerry.

I think you're right ... got distracted by the title i guess . Me wrong , sorry . 

...when I haven't done anything wrong....

Technically you may have, based on what you wrote (it's not clear how long you are out of LOS for?), sounds like you have been living in Thailand on a tourist visa; the crackdown on back-to-back visa runs have been all over the web.

Hi Jerry, sorry if I wasn't clear. What I do is this: Get a 2 month Thai TR Visa in Cambodia, then extend it for 30 days at Jomtien Immigration, then go to Phnom Phen, Cambodia and get another 2 month Thai TR Visa.

As I'm retired, is there a simpler way to stay in Thailand, visa-wise?

If the OP is retired and financially independent then when not do the retirement option, sure that means having 800k baht in a Thai bank.

If course he is and over 50

if under 50 then Thailand Elite for 500k for 5 years    http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Of course both options require money and the tightening up on those without it or those who come to work illegally is the reason for the clampdown.

Just as with the ED visas, they have come down very hard on those and especially in Pattaya, check the Pattaya thread in Thai Visa for more info on that.

I suppose the idea of a tourist visa and what constitutes an actual tourist is based on how many holidays and of what duration does the average working person get each year.

Of course some people get far more than others and some peoples circumstances and their employment is quite different, oil rig workers doing rotates with regular long periods off, for example.

But its really a percentages game, and probably over 90% of real tourists to LOS circumstances are very similar, 4,5 or 6 weeks off per year.  

In the beginning was the word and the word was "In" :ThumbUp6:

Technically you may have, based on what you wrote (it's not clear how long you are out of LOS for?), sounds like you have been living in Thailand on a tourist visa; the crackdown on back-to-back visa runs have been all over the web.

Not to be argumentative (I'm not) but honestly they couldn't even bust me for spitting gum on the sidewalk. That said, exactly what technicality could they conjure up to deny me admission? And again, a fair percentage of Thailand's GDP comes from tourism, which is bound to intensify competitively with the ASEAN 2015 integration.

Even xenophobic countries needed a technicality to kick foreigners out. Thailand does not even have that!

If the OP is retired and financially independent then when not do the retirement option, sure that means having 800k baht in a Thai bank.

If course he is and over 50

if under 50 then Thailand Elite for 500k for 5 years    http://www.thailandelite.com/glimpse.php

Of course both options require money and the tightening up on those without it or those who come to work illegally is the reason for the clampdown.

Just as with the ED visas, they have come down very hard on those and especially in Pattaya, check the Pattaya thread in Thai Visa for more info on that.

I suppose the idea of a tourist visa and what constitutes an actual tourist is based on how many holidays and of what duration does the average working person get each year.

Of course some people get far more than others and some peoples circumstances and their employment is quite different, oil rig workers doing rotates with regular long periods off, for example.

But its really a percentages game, and probably over 90% of real tourists to LOS circumstances are very similar, 4,5 or 6 weeks off per year.

Thank you, Beerburgerbonk. I was thinking there's a better way to live ex-pat than what I've been doing. OHOH, those Peruvian and Venezuelan girls have been on my mind!!!

Not to be argumentative (I'm not) but honestly they couldn't even bust me for spitting gum on the sidewalk.

No worries, no argument at all, just exchanging information.

That said, exactly what technicality could they conjure up to deny me admission?

As I said previously, you appear to be living in Thailand on a tourist visa therefore, you are not abiding by the rules of the visa you have been granted. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but it is what it is. Thailand has decided to enforce their rules, mainly to get rid of those working illegally from all accounts, but potentially affecting people like yourself. Given your circumstances you have the two options above to have a hassle free (well, minimised hassle) life in LOS with a correct visa.

Totally ridiculous policies.  Any fool can figure that someone working illegally will simply not even bother getting visas but overstay.  So this policy just shoots themselves in the foot.

Any fool can figure that someone working illegally will simply not even bother getting visas but overstay. 

Based on what?

Tourism, OTOH, makes up a sizeable portion of Thailand's GDP.

A common wrong perception. Tourism only makes up about 7% of Thailand's GDP.

Beerburgerbonk gives you the best options for a hassle free stay in Thailand.

Totally ridiculous policies.  Any fool can figure that someone working illegally will simply not even bother getting visas but overstay.  So this policy just shoots themselves in the foot.

The UK, Australia, USA, Canada, European counties.... all have the similar policies. Why should Thailand treat us better then their citizens are in our counties?

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

That said, exactly what technicality could they conjure up to deny me admission?

They don't need to give you any reason. However, they can deny entry if they think you are not in the country for tourism purposes (when that is the reason you are asking for permission to enter). From what you have written that would be a reasonable conclusion.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

"Only"? 7% of a nation's GDP is huge, making tourism one of the biggest industries in Thailand.

"Only"? 7% of a nation's GDP is huge, making tourism one of the biggest industries in Thailand.

I said only because most people assume that it is a lot bigger than it really is.

Yep it is massive. Think it is the fourth largest industry in Thailand.

555 ....you mean compared with manufacturing and farming?

In the context of this thread the enforcement of visa regs has no effect whatsoever on genuine tourists.

This only affects duckers and divers and digital nomads etc.

In fact they are looking at making it easier for real tourists so dont worry about their GDP re the visa issues.

They don't need to give you any reason. However, they can deny entry if they think you are not in the country for tourism purposes (when that is the reason you are asking for permission to enter). From what you have written that would be a reasonable conclusion.

Valid point, S.B. If they don't want me here, they're not obligated to provide a reason. Actually, I am here for retirement purpose, which *isn't* the same as tourism. But (you'll have to take my word on this) all I do is stay in my room, Facebook, Internet, TV, walk for exercise and drop into the occasional girlie bar for a pint. Boy, I'm a regular Suge Knight, LOL,!!

So I should either find a way to stay that is acceptable to the powers that be- and me- or hit the road to a more amenable locale.

Beerburgerbonk gives you the best options for a hassle free stay in Thailand.

The UK, Australia, USA, Canada, European counties.... all have the similar policies. Why should Thailand treat us better then their citizens are in our counties?

Yeah and how many million illegals overstaying in the U.S.  Do you think they are obeying visa laws?  The difference here is the falang contributes by spending in the country and in the U.S. etc they spend but don't pay tax and send a large portion home while working on top of it and driving down local wages.  So your point is?

In fact they are looking at making it easier for real tourists ...

In what way are they doing that Edge, haven't read much on that.

Yeah and how many million illegals overstaying in the U.S.  Do you think they are obeying visa laws?  The difference here is the falang contributes by spending in the country and in the U.S. etc they spend but don't pay tax and send a large portion home while working on top of it and driving down local wages.  So your point is?

What has the subject of this thread got to do with illegal immigrants in the US?? Seems to me that the US is doing as much as it can to get rid of them in a similar way as Thailand.

The issue has nothing to do with the economic contribution but the laws of the land. Unless you qualify for a long term visa you are not welcome (same as in the US, incidentally).

I thought my point was quite clear. Western countries do not allow foreigners to reside in their countries on tourist visas. Why should the Thais?

In what way are they doing that Edge, haven't read much on that.

Only a proposal, but I posted a link somewhere to an article saying that they were looking at allowing a 30 day extension to the 30 day visa waiver.

I don't imagine they would allow people to repeat the exercise or they'd be back to square one.

Just saying that the intent is there to help genuine tourists.............. but not the illegals.   :hello09:

555 ....you mean compared with manufacturing and farming?

In the context of this thread the enforcement of visa regs has no effect whatsoever on genuine tourists.

This only affects duckers and divers and digital nomads etc.

In fact they are looking at making it easier for real tourists so dont worry about their GDP re the visa issues.

To clarify, as per Wikipedia:

1. Tourism in Thailand- including indirect effects- comes to 16.7% of the Thai GDP, as at 2012. As we see, that's more than double the 7% figure previously quoted.

2. S.B. (I hate calling you 'Scumbag' as I dignify you as a lady! Correct us if we're wrong...) -you were the one who said Tourism makes up only about 7% of Thailand's GDP. But I read in Wikipedia that "Tourism in Thailand- including indirect effects- accounted for 16.7% of the Thai GDP as of 2012."

January, 2014, saw Thai tourist arrivals *decrease* by -6.66%.

This is a sizeable chunge of change (not to mention employed people!)

OTOH, Thai manufacturing outstrips tourism, though by how much, I don't know.

There are a lot of neighboring countries- Burma, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, that want a chunk of Thailand's money. And they're hungry, smart, and have touristic exotic appeal. There's only one real rule in this world: We want your money, and you bet we're gonna get it!!! Complacency won't win.

Archived