IGNORED

Here's How To Become A 'Trusted Traveler' And Bypass Airport Security Lines For Good

I am not sure if I should ever respond to one of your posts again or just put you on my ignore list. Good luck.

You're the one who appears to be making this matter personal at this point.  First off, the general reference was two posts ago and has since moved on.  The last post was neither directed towards you nor intended to be personal in any way.  To the contrary, I've attempted to shift the focus towards community discussion for the benefit of the board members, and as you can see from my diverse topics, I tend to strive towards positive and informative discussions.  I also disclosed above that "this might be because other individuals may have specific item(s) to declare through U.S. Customs." and that "Again, my case may differ from an individual with items to declare." leaving at least one plausible scenario where others may have had different experiences at different locations with specific items.  Again, this was general in nature and not directed personally towards you or anyone else.

Thank you for sharing your personal experiences, and with age, wisdom, and more experiences to share further benefits the board members on this topic with more information readily available.

It is of my personal opinion that we're moving towards a trend of less human interaction, not more, in the future.  On that note, here's an article of interest worth sharing with respect to artificial intelligence reducing human interaction:

Bill Gates: Elon Musk Is Right, We Should All Be Scared Of Artificial Intelligence Wiping Out Humanity

bottom line, be polite to the gestapo... if you aren't they can make your life miserable.

and sometimes they might even if you're polite.

On the subject of GE, this post scared the SHIT out of me!

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2014/10/30/dont-lose-global-entry-privileges-making-one-simple-mistake/

I am a Type diabetic (insulin dependent ), so I almost always have some kind of food, dried fruit, candy, etc. on me.  I'm going to be sure to declare it from now on!

As far as I've seen everyone can use the new electronic ATM looking things at the Seattle International abd scan their passpots there....trouble  is even if you get through the line early you still have to STAND and wait for luggage for 20 + minutes in Seattle.....cant see paying $100 to get out of a line just to stand at the luggage area and wait there - dont see a difference.  Am sure other airports are different - but Same at BKK - get through line early - just have to stand and wait at the luggage area- whats the difference?

May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung....and may you stay - Forever Young

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours Bobby Dylan

there's ones that are just for Global Entry folks, and so far they have saved me a ton of time and I have been able to skip past huge lines of people waiting to go through immigration process.

As far as I've seen everyone can use the new electronic ATM looking things at the Seattle International abd scan their passpots there....trouble  is even if you get through the line early you still have to STAND and wait for luggage for 20 + minutes in Seattle.....cant see paying $100 to get out of a line just to stand at the luggage area and wait there - dont see a difference.  Am sure other airports are different - but Same at BKK - get through line early - just have to stand and wait at the luggage area- whats the difference?

There are some significant differences between Global Entry (GE) and Automated Passport Control (APC), with the advantage going to GE. APC is NOT a "Trusted Traveler" program, but is open to any citizen of the U.S., Canada and 38 other countries. Travelers who use the APC kiosks still have to complete the entry process by speaking with Customers and Border Control agents at two points: passport control and customs clearance. The "time-saving element" of APC is that CBC agents no longer have to scan the travel documents of passengers who use the kiosks, which means they get through the "entry interview" a few minutes faster. The effect is a collective one: the more travelers who use APC, the less time the agents have to spend on each traveler and the lines move faster.

A study at LAX revealed the entry time was reduced to about 28 minutes from 45 minutes. But with Global Entry, which uses a entirely separate lane from APC travelers, the entry process is often over in five minutes or less. Once you have your receipt from the GE kiosk, you are not normally interviewed by a CBC agent on entry (I haven't been interviewed once in over 50 entries to the U.S. under GE). You skip all the lines and simply show your receipt to a CBC agent, then proceed to the baggage claim.

I mostly return to the U.S. with only a carry-on bag, so I go directly to customs control. Here's where the biggest time-saving can kick in. GE travelers move directly to head of the customs-control line, skipping what can be 300 or 400 people in the process. U.S citizens and foreigners go through the same custom-control points and if you get caught in line behind passengers with five suitcases and 10 cardboard boxes each on incoming flights from Latin America, Asia or Africa, you can be in for a very lengthy delay. Once at JFK, an extremely peeved individual protested loudly it was "unfair" I got to go straight through (and directly ahead of him) since he had been waiting in the customs-control line for two hours. "Couldn't you have at least made him wait one minute?" he whined to the agent.

Even if you have a checked bag, you still save time over those who have to wait in the customs' line. I have never seen customs' control totally empty at any port of entry to the U.S. It is true that an agent can pull you over for secondary customs examination, but that has only happened once in 50 entries. The agent told me it was a random check and I had pulled the unlucky number.

Evil

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

I mostly return to the U.S. with only a carry-on bag, so I go directly to customs control. Here's where the biggest time-saving can kick in. GE travelers move directly to head of the customs-control line, skipping what can be 300 or 400 people in the process. U.S citizens and foreigners go through the same custom-control points and if you get caught in line behind passengers with five suitcases and 10 cardboard boxes each on incoming flights from Latin America, Asia or Africa, you can be in for a very lengthy delay. Once at JFK, an extremely peeved individual protested loudly it was "unfair" I got to go straight through (and directly ahead of him) since he had been waiting in the customs-control line for two hours. "Couldn't you have at least made him wait one minute?" he whined to the agent.

Last November, I flew back to LAX from BKK on a China Southern A380 (after the connecting in Guangzhou) -- setting aside the other airlines that landed around that time, my plane alone had a capacity of over 500 people, and I'm sure there were well over 400 on it.  

I was through customs minutes after getting my bag, as opposed to waiting in the lines that got fairly massive, fairly quickly.

On a side note, the boarding process for one of those beasts takes FOREVER!

Customs has or had a pamphlet called "know before you go". You could check online or go to the Custom's office in an airport when you are there and get one. It may be beneficial for some of you. It can help with declaring items. Mine is old, so they may be different now.

Also, I always dump any medicines I buy in the trash before I come home. If you forget and have something in your carry on bag, I would put it in the trash before getting off the plane. You may be fine declaring some items, but some could cause a search that you may otherwise not had. Declaring food items like candy or nuts shouldn't be a problem. I declared some nuts I bought at 7/11 or Family Mart and the agent asked me about them. I told him they are like any typical packaged nuts you would buy in a 7/11 in the US other than an unfamiliar brand name. I asked him if he wanted to see them and he said no and then said welcome back.

I can also say to those who have never been searched is that it is no big deal other than an inconvenience. This can become a problem if you have a connecting flight and little time to get to it. These days my game plan is to not bring anything back that has to be declared. Obviously if you need it, declare it and bring it with you.

One time I returned from Thailand and first stop was Chicago. They had a separate line for GE. We all still had to get the interogation and then got searched. No one got to just pass through as they say. In my experience, it depends on the airport or the person you talk to. Some times I just show the print out from the kiosk and I get waved through other times I get questioned and then searched.

Leaving the US has been easier with GE. The return is where I have had issues, but not every trip.

I know you are not complaining, but just making a statement.  However, It is good that they do "spot checks" to ensure we remain honest.  Good security is not convenient. 

Sorry, one more thing. Many travelers don't think about it, but Custom's can request proof of purchase for items. Typical items would be cameras, binoculars, range finders, tablets, smart phones, scopes, laptops, etc. You don't hear about it much these days (at least I don't), but I always carry copies of receipts for those type of items.

Weapons and ammo are another issue and I don't think I need to go into that here, but if you need info you can pm me or check with customs (edit: and TSA). However, there are rules/laws that even Custom's (edit: and TSA) can't help you with.

I know you are not complaining, but just making a statement. However, It is good that they do "spot checks" to ensure we remain honest. Good security is not convenient.

I agree. I would never complain about airport security and actually I am happy about it. (Oh the days of pre 9/11 flights, how we miss them). However, I have complained about how it is sometimes carried out. Fortunately those cases are not the norm as you could tell by my posts. Many event free flights and only a few disappointments.

guys you do ramble on a tad,we have been coming to pattaya for over 30 years and cracked the airport long lines years ago.my wife carries a folding walking stick and we get taken to the front of the line world over,simple end off .cheers.

• 1 year later...

:Disease:Yours is a perfect example of all parties being right or so it seems.  I did read a lot of the posts and find a common threat.  Behave as normal as possible and most likely no problem.  I seem to for some reason get inspected a lot and learned not to have a tight schedule from the airport. i.e don't tell people to pick you up 15 minutes after your flight is supposed to arrive. :Disease:That opens a whole different can of worms. oops I had to edit my story as I forgot to ad the most important item, the emoticon. 555

• 3 weeks later...

Also agree with the sentiment "best 100 bucks I ever spent" mentality. It's SO true. Not only is it good coming back from Thailand but you also get the benefits of Nexus and Sentri which makes crossing the Canadian and Mexican Borders SO easy. The last time I waited in line without Global Entry/Sentri coming back from Tijuana it took me a good 3 hours. Last time. I walked past the line, and was next in line at the Entry. Total time. 30 seconds.

i use my Sentri coming from Tijuana all the time now over 3yrs its great and when i travel give the # to your airline you are now pre-check  in on your ticket well worth the money.

• 5 months later...

Just a tought

But as far as I can understand is it for U.S people only

Not for Belgium people ?

Or does it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Great info. A couple years ago i got an US I9 security clearance required for some government contracting work. It was just a matter of submitting a form with a full set of fingerprints to a qualified agent. ever since airport security has been a breeze. i assume it shows up in my profile even though i think it's lapsed by now.

Archived