Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Here's How To Become A 'Trusted Traveler' And Bypass Airport Security Lines For Good

Here's How To Become A 'Trusted Traveler' And Bypass Airport Security Lines For Good

tsa-airport-security-luggage-magazine-4.
REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni

For international fliers, nothing is more frustrating than hustling to the airport only to wait in a mile-long security line at Customs. 

What if there was a relatively simple way to bypass that nightmare?

U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s "Trusted Traveler" program has been around for a few years, but it's only recently truly entered the mainstream. As a member, you're granted the luxury of making it through customs in under 60 seconds.

The application process is rigorous and doesn't come free, but it just might change your life. Here's what you need to know to become a Trusted Traveler:

Trusted Traveler status levels: There are three different branches of the Trusted Traveler program individual passengers can choose from. 

Global Entry:Covers international travel to and from the U.S. for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, Dutch citizens, South Korean citizens and Mexican nationals. ($100)
NEXUS: Covers travel between the U.S. and Canada. ($50)
SENTRI: Covers travel between the U.S. and Mexico. ($122.25)

American Express customers may qualify for reimbursement for application fees, so check before you sign up.

screen%20shot%202013-10-08%20at%205.26.0
TSA.govHere's what your mobile and online boarding pass will look like once you've been cleared for TSA Pre-Check.

screen%20shot%202013-10-08%20at%205.25.4
TSA.gov

The application process: Once you pay your fee (upfront, non-refundable), you'll be able to schedule an in-person interview at a Global Entry Enrollment Center. During the interview process, a Customs official will put you through a round of questioning (travel history, employment status, home address, etc.). Everyone is pre-screened for criminal history, cross-checked against terrorist watch lists and vetted for possible customs violation. On top of that, your fingerprints and photo will take a spin in the FBI and Homeland Security database before you're officially cleared.

What you get for your trouble: Once you're a trusted traveler, you can walk up to a designated Global Entry kiosk in Customs and scan your passport and fingerprints. The machine will spit out a receipt, which you can hand to a Customs official and scoot right past the line.

What you still have to deal with: You're not entirely home-free once you've passed the background check. Even trusted travelers are subject to random searches at the airport. On top of that, all bags and passengers are still screened by detectors. 

How the program works once you're enrolled: If you've been accepted into the Trusted Traveler program, congrats! Your life just got a lot easier. Not every airport supports the program, however, so check each program's list of airports first (Global EntryNEXUSSENTRI).  

Bonus: Once you're enrolled as a trusted traveler, you also qualify for TSA's Pre-Check program. This lets you bypass security checkpoints without having to remove your shoes, take your laptop out of your bag, or take off your jacket and outerwear. And gentlemen, rejoice! You can keep your belts on. With TSA Pre-Check, you'll have a special code embedded in your boarding pass, which is scanned by a TSA official at designated checkpoints in the airport.

All the information you'll ever need to find out more about Trusted Traveler status and TSA Pre-Check can be found here: 

TSA.gov
CBP.gov

Article Link - http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-to-become-a-trusted-traveler-2013-10

My Global Entry experience at SFO:

• Huge line, probably a 45-minute wait, as it was MLK day and less than half of the booths were open to check passports manually
  • Walked to the side of the line, which extended into the terminal.  I'm sure lots of people were wondering what I was doing walking past them at the side of the wall.
  • Went straight to the Global Entry Kiosks, about 15 of them, no lines, no one else there except me
  • Scanned my passport and fingerprints, checked "No" on all questions, got printout in about 10-15 seconds from start to finish
  • Showed my printout to Officer, said "Okay", went straight to baggage claim
  • I was the very first person at the baggage claim
  • Avoided the line for customs
  • Went to the special "Global Entry Only" line, handed in my printout, and went straight to the exit where my ride was awaiting me.
I probably saved myself about 45-minutes to 1 hour of time and hassle.

On Domestic flights, there's TSA Precheck at many USA airports.  Go straight through a special security check line, no need to take off shoes, etc, quicker and easier, bypass the crowd.

If you haven't yet enrolled in the Global Entry program, do it.

Here are some pictures:

Kiosk Printout:

7ep4Weo.jpg

Skipped a very long line, went straight to the Kiosk, show this to the immigration officer, walk straight to baggage claim.

Special quick line for Global Entry users:

y1MuYlB.jpg

Just hand-in the printout and exit

A long line I was able to bypass:

On5sJBd.jpg

yep, best money I ever spent...  last two returns were in Honolulu and Denver, both had huge lines I was able to just walk past, like you described.

the pre check for security is great too, love not having to take my shoes off and computer out of the bag, etc...

$100 for five years.

I hear that if you charge it on AmEx, AmEx will reimburse you the $100 and credit it to your account.  Might only be for premier members though.

American Express customers may qualify for reimbursement for application fees, so check before you sign up.

I just got into the Global Entry Program, use it for the first time on my way back from Thailand in November through LAX.

Same experience, a whole 5 minutes through customs to baggage claim and United pays for it for platinum or better frequent flyers.

Also, you do not have to fill out the Customs and Immigration forms on the airplane.

When you're at the Global Entry Kiosk, once you scan your passport and fingerprints, all of you relevant information will appear on the screen, including your flight numbers, recent destinations, etc.  All you have to do is select "Information is Correct" on the screen.

All the standard "Yes / No" questions about bringing in agricultural products, etc., are on the touchscreen to quickly select the "No" button.

I signed up for Global Entry in 2014, and it was a breeze speeding through ORD Customs in Dec 2014, but I did make a rookie mistake.  When I got my boarding passes for my return trip, BKK-HKG-ORD-DCA, the ORD-DCA boarding pass issued in Thailand did not have the “TSA Precheck” printed on it, so I had to take off my shoes, belt, computer, etc at ORD.  I should have gotten a new boarding pass at ORD with the TSA Precheck printed on it.

Also agree with the sentiment "best 100 bucks I ever spent" mentality. It's SO true. Not only is it good coming back from Thailand but you also get the benefits of Nexus and Sentri which makes crossing the Canadian and Mexican Borders SO easy. The last time I waited in line without Global Entry/Sentri coming back from Tijuana it took me a good 3 hours. Last time. I walked past the line, and was next in line at the Entry. Total time. 30 seconds.

One time I returned from Thailand and first stop was Chicago. They had a separate line for GE. We all still had to get the interogation and then got searched. No one got to just pass through as they say. In my experience, it depends on the airport or the person you talk to. Some times I just show the print out from the kiosk and I get waved through other times I get questioned and then searched.

Leaving the US has been easier with GE. The return is where I have had issues, but not every trip.

What do they ask you in the interview? Does having been to Thailand many times for pleasure a problem?

They had a separate line for GE. We all still had to get the interrogation and then got searched. No one got to just pass through as they say. In my experience, it depends on the airport or the person you talk to. Some times I just show the print out from the kiosk and I get waved through other times I get questioned and then searched.

This is a first.  It's my understanding, that sometimes, at random, the computer will select you to be questioned an searched, and if you see a red-mark or something on your ticket, you step aside and go through the process, but this is hasn't happened to me or anyone I know yet.  Each and every time I show the receipt above, I've gone straight through.

If you ever do get questioned and searched, it's not a big deal.  Just relax, play it cool, let them search through your bags without question or hesitation, they have the right to do so.

Don't get into a discussion or conversation, sometimes they might start off in a friendly manner and try to be your friend.

Simply answer all questions with "Yes" or "No" for such applicable questions, and other questions with specifics, be as brief as possible.  If they want additional information, they'll ask, and continue to be brief, but specific.

I'm always prepared to have my bag searched, even though it's never happened.  Common sense dictates what should, and should not, be in your luggage and baggage.  If they do find items such as condoms, sex toys, etc., this might be a little embarrassing, but there's nothing they can do about it.

If they say things to annoy you, indicate that you're on their watch list, etc., don't worry about it.  It's important to understand what they're looking for and what's a waste of their time.  First and foremost, they're looking for terrorists and terrorism.  I've heard on here and in some articles that they've searched single male Thailand travelers, found nothing, and made authoritative remarks and claimed the person was not on their "watch list".  First off, this is not likely to happen if you're playing it cool and being cooperative.  

Also, keep in mind that these agents who work at the airport during all hours of the day, wearing rubber gloves, etc. are low-level federal civil employees.  Except for the supervisors, who are unlikely to be touching your stuff, are rank-and-file employees, some who might have an attitude and like to flex their muscles.  I mentioned before that their primary objective is looking for terrorists and terrorist related matters.  Most likely, the individuals in the airport do not have the authority to add you to any such list and likely no one in the Washington, D.C. headquarters or local office really gives a damn what they have to say.  The truth of the matter is unless you're a real terrorist threat or concern, the agency is not going to waste their time monitoring you in their system.  It is not surprising that they might tell you your now on their "watch list" as they can use this tactic to keep you on their toes and send a message that no one has a completely free pass.  Main thing is to not let this get to your head or argue with them.  Just be professional, get through the process, and be on your way.

They're also looking for things related to human-trafficking, but again, unless there's something substantial like terrorism or directly related to terrorism, it's not a concern to the main office.

I would strongly advise everyone to dress professional, nice pair of pants, nice shirt, no t-shirts, shorts, etc.  Business casual is recommended.  This might not necessarily prevent you from being searched, but you want to avoid fitting any profiles or stereotypes.  Also, keep cool, answer all questions, briefly but not being evasive, and just let them get through the process.  There is nothing illegal about a single male traveling alone to SE Asia, just make sure you're suitcase and materials don't have anything on the list of non-permissible items and answer the questions as asked without any evasiveness.

The following are also important to be aware of, especially pertaining to electronic devices.

Here are two documents pertaining to Keeping your data safe at the US Border with regards to devices, etc.

1. How to keep your data safe at the US border
  2. Defending Privacy at the U.S. Border: A Guide for Travelers Carrying Digital Devices (PDF)

Informative reading and highly recommended if you travel with a computers and have any type of digital data or media on you.

I've combed through the documents and if you're an informal user, the following are what I find to be the salient points:

• Cloud Computing
  • Clear History and Cashe
  • Secure Empty Trash

Also, you practically have no rights at if they want to search your data.  They can inspect anything and confiscate your items.  Being uncooperative, including to provide passwords to open computers, can be used against you.

Prepare ahead of time before entering, or re-entering, the US Border. 

Again, I've never been pulled aside into a room or questioned before I was in the Global Entry Program, but I do know of people who have.  I also know they felt they were treated harshly and aggressively.  In nearly each case I've heard someone complain, the person involved clearly fit the profile for being questioned and might have been avoided if they exercised some common sense measures.

In the past, when standing on the normal line, before having being in Global Entry, it's important to profile if you can decide which booth or person to deal with:

• Old before young
  • Female over male
  • Ethnic of white

What you want to try to avoid, if possible, is a mid-to-late 20's, Marine/military-looking, Caucasian male.  These guys tend to be the most tenacious and most aggressive with the attitude and might try to push your buttons.  Females might less likely to be overly-specific with the mongering related questions, older are more chill, and non-whites tend to be even less aggressive.  I know that this is stereo-typing and generalizing quite a bit, there are exceptions to the rule, of course, you might encounter an middle-aged non-white female who's a real stickler, but they profile, so we can as well.  You might have the option, like in many airports, to decide which booth to go through in the normal, non-GE line.

In the rare cases when they've asked about my trip, one of the first questions is always:

• Who's your employer?

I always answer with simply:

"State of California"

At this point, all the questions have stopped with me, they stamped my passport, and I went on my way.  I was always careful not to say anything, or answer in any way, beyond what they asked.  If they want to know the job title, agency, position, etc., they'll ask, but this is an example of keeping answers short, brief, and as concise as possible.

If you've been to Pattaya and they asked where you were, answer "Chonburi".  This is a correct answer and Chonburi is the province you were in.

Again, don't let them try to become your friend.  I once had a younger man, in March-2011, with an attitude try to start off with an extremely conversation, started to talk about the King's birthday, recent culture in Thailand, etc.  I simply nodded my head and acknowledged he was correct, but didn't elaborate and/or partake in any discussion.  He then said there were a lot of "fights" there lately.  I had no idea what he was talking about, so I said, "fights?".  He was referring to kick-boxing.  I was not going to get into a discussion about kick-boxing with him, etc., so unless he asked me a specific question, I just awaited what was next.  When he realized his friendly methods were going nowhere, he got straight to asking, "Where were you and what were you doing there?".

I answered that I was in Chonburi, was studying for an exam (which I actually was at the time as I brought the study materials), visited Chulalongkarn University where I previously studied, etc.  At that point, he stamped my passport and let me go.  This was the only time I went through an overly-zealous representative, there was a long line, and I had no additional questions, was not put aside, or ever searched.

All of these are older stories four-plus years ago for me.  I've never been taken to a room, searched, or overly questioned beyond the initial booth in the line.  Since I've been in the Global Entry Program, I've never been questioned or taken aside.  I still believe that those who are taken aside and questioned might be targeted because they meet or fit a certain profile, which in many cases can be avoided by simply dressing business casual.  Nice shirt (no t-shirt), nice long pants or clean-cut jeans (no shorts), nice shoes (no sneakers), no hat, clean shaven, etc.  You have nothing to hide if you do get questioned, so just go with the flow.  Don't argue, be evasive, or act annoyed.

forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe Global Entry comes into play when leaving the country...  the precheck security pass is usually (but not guaranteed or always)  given to global entry people on their tickets, but that's not global entry...

Thailand is a destination that is on their watch list. They are not looking for terrorist as much as they are looking for drugs or money laundering. At least not from tourist returning from Thailand unless they have a tip or someone fits the profile. I was once told by Customs that they caught a tourist returning from Thailand with drugs and while she was searching me I told her I thought it was a waste of time when you have all those people walking by who are not GE travelers and not being searched. She said she didn't care what I think. They don't like to be questioned. Some of them seem so stupid it's scary.

They don't like it when they ask me how much money I have and I only tell them less than $10,000 USD equivalent. They would ask for an estimate and I would only tell them less than 10,000. That Pisses them off, so some of you may want to have a close estimate ready and I would make it a little higher than your actual value.

I told the last guy who stopped me in the jet way that and he said we were going to count it, I said we will be here awhile and he said he didn't care cause he gets paid by the hour. I had three or four different currencies and a bag of Thai coins. He never finished counting it. He would look at different bills and ask me how much is this or how much is that. We did this game for about 10 minutes minimum and he realized that it would be very difficult to get an exact amount, considering fluctuating exchange rates with more than one currency. Twice on separate flights I have had to count money and they never finished counting it. I guess they finally figured out why I would only say less than 10,000.

I believe every time I have been sent to the search line it was a woman who questioned me and then sent me to be searched. My last trip back to the US, I flew into Minnesota. A man asked me a few questions and then said welcome back and that was it. With GE, I should not have even been questioned by the guy, but at least he treated me like any US citizen would want to be treated.

When they had the special line for GE travelers, that only happened once to me and that was a return flight from Tokyo into Chicago (coming back from Thailand).

forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe Global Entry comes into play when leaving the country... the precheck security pass is usually (but not guaranteed or always) given to global entry people on their tickets, but that's not global entry...

I have been told several times that GE qualifies you for pre check security pass. It's always on my tickets, but may not apply in some airports, just as GE does not apply in all airports. Although more and more are being added.

having global entry does not guarantee that you will always get precheck, but so far I have on all my tickets since getting global entry.  you are eligible, but they can randomly NOT give it to you.

Everyone, please read this carefully. This is a perfect example of how not to behave.

She said she didn't care what I think. They don't like to be questioned. Some of them seem so stupid it's scary.

Do not ask them questions. Do not ask why. Do not tell them how you think they should or should not be doing their job. Just play it cool, answer briefly (Yes, No, etc.), don't engage in conversation or dialogue, and be as cooperative as possible. Their opinions and level of intelligence do not matter.

They don't like it when they ask me how much money I have and I only tell them less than $10,000 USD equivalent. They would ask for an estimate and I would only tell them less than 10,000. That Pisses them off, so some of you may want to have a close estimate ready and I would make it a little higher than your actual value.

One time, a few years ago, prior to being enrolled in G.E., I was asked two questions. First was purpose of travel, business or pleasure, I answered the latter. Next, how much U.S. currency (equivalent) I had on me. I thought quickly and responded:

"Less than three-hundred"

As he was processing my paper, I was thinking and said,

"Less than four-hundred"

At this point, he was almost done, and gestured that $300 vs. $400 was not crucial. I simply did some thinking with the conversions and modified my answer. I was stamped and on my way.

Don't be an asshole. If s/he asks how much money you have, answer the question. You're being an asshole if you state "Less than $10,000" and asking for additional scrutiny. No reason to get testy with them.

On my most recent trip above, I had currency from three countries and counted it on the plane. I wasn't asked, but I was aware that I had between $800 and $900 in three currencies and had that information handy just in case.

Don't go out of your way to piss them off, don't tell them how to do their jobs, and don't engage in any conversation or dialogue.

I told the last guy who stopped me in the jet way that and he said we were going to count it, I said we will be here awhile and he said he didn't care cause he gets paid by the hour.

Again, you're being an confrontatiinal. Don't tell them anything, don't ask why s/he's doing it the way they're doing it, just give a nominal amount of currency.

If you act and/or behave like an asshole, you'll be treated like one. The less said, the better. Sometimes they're engaging in conversation hoping you'll say something stupid; don't take the bait. Smile, stay calm and cool, use one word or one phrase answers, and don't volunteer anything more than asked or necessary. Keep it simple.

forgive me if I am mistaken, but I don't believe Global Entry comes into play when leaving the country... the precheck security pass is usually (but not guaranteed or always) given to global entry people on their tickets, but that's not global entry...

Some major airports (i.e. SFO, JFK) have expedited TSA precheck lines. Smaller airports might not. Precheck usually only applies to domestic travel.

SFO has a precheck line for the International terminal, but you have to enter through a different terminal and it's usually not worth the hassle.

Everyone, please read this carefully. This is a perfect example of how not to behave.

Do not ask them questions. Do not ask why. Do not tell them how you think they should or should not be doing their job. Just play it cool, answer briefly (Yes, No, etc.), don't engage in conversation or dialogue, and be as cooperative as possible. Their opinions and level of intelligence do not matter.

As he was processing my paper, I was thinking and said,

"Less than four-hundred"

At this point, he was almost done, and gestured that $300 vs. $400 was not crucial. I simply did some thinking with the conversions and modified my answer. I was stamped and on my way.

Don't be an asshole. If s/he asks how much money you have, answer the question. You're being an asshole if you state "Less than $10,000" and asking for additional scrutiny. No reason to get testy with them.

The problem with your stupid being an "asshole" comment on my money issue is that I had over $9,000.00 on one of my trips, but with the other currencies and fluctuating rates I was not going to give them a number other than less than $10,000. I knew it was less than 10 G but didn't know myself exactly how much and didn't want to commit to some number and then have them count it and then my number not be correct. I did tell them it was close but not 10 G. However the agent kept pressing me for a number. Was I not cooperating? I think in the end they figured out why I told them I didn't know exactly due to the fact that they said OK you can go before they actually counted all of it.

I have made many trips out of the US and was only asked three times about money and twice they started to count it but never finished. The first time I was ever asked I told them the same thing and they didn't bother to count it and just let me continue on. If I only had 300 or 400 I would have told them that. I normally have high dollar amounts since I am gone for months not days or weeks. These questions were all on my departure out of the US. When being searched on a return trip, I never had an issue with money.

The problem with your stupid being an "asshole" comment on my money issue is that I had over $9,000.00 on one of my trips, but with the other currencies and fluctuating rates I was not going to give them a number other than less than $10,000. I knew it was less than 10 G but didn't know myself exactly how much and didn't want to commit to some number and then have them count it and then my number not be correct. I did tell them it was close but not 10 G. However the agent kept pressing me for a number. Was I not cooperating? I think in the end they figured out why I told them I didn't know exactly due to the fact that they said OK you can go before they actually counted all of it.

I have made many trips out of the US and was only asked three times about money and twice they started to count it but never finished. The first time I was ever asked I told them the same thing and they didn't bother to count it and just let me continue on. If I only had 300 or 400 I would have told them that. I normally have high dollar amounts since I am gone for months not days or weeks. These questions were all on my departure out of the US. When being searched on a return trip, I never had an issue with money.

I don't think they want or care about a exact number. Just a number that is either below $10,000 or above $10,000.

Agree 100%  (1000%?) that Global Entry is the greatest thing going!  WELL WORTH my $100!

I think the headline of that article is a little misleading though (NOT the OP's comments or this thread - the title of the article itself).  

First, there's a chance you will not be flagged for Pre-Check and will have to go through typical screening.  I've never had it happen to me, but it IS a possibility.

Also, you just go through a different security line.  Leave shoes on, laptop in bag, etc., but you ARE scanned/screened.

Finally, it has never helped me with security when leaving the country, but that's because I am usually on foreign-based carriers (EVA, Cathay, etc.) out of LAX, so I get stuck in the security line at the Bradley terminal.

All of that said, I will not hesitate to renew my Global Entry as soon as it is about to expire.  Even if they raised the price, I will jump all over it!

No worries, and you are correct.  I wasn't there, I don't know you, I don't know exactly what transpired, and I don't know how you presented yourself.

"Controversial" would have been a better word, and for purposes of discussion in this thread, and advisement for the benefit of the community board members as a whole, I still place a lot emphasis on ways to avoid/minimize being put aside for inspection/questioning in every regard from demeanor, dressing business casual, cooperating, etc.  It was the nature of your post that I assessed being controversial, but regardless, for the purpose of the thread of a whole, I will continue to emphasize on keeping things simple and non-controversial when being questioned as follows:

•  Avoid any conversation or dialogue
  • Keep the answers as short and simple as possible (i.e., "Yes", "No", short non-elaborate answers without going into detail)
  • Do no argue, question, criticize, or be evasive in any way.

I did mention that common sense dictates what should and should not be in your luggage and hand-carry, and even though not mentioned, this includes drugs, firearms, explosives, contraband, etc.

I have never been pulled aside for questioning, had my bags searched, etc. based on human judgement at the airport.  I believe there's far more to it than simply returning from Thailand.  Every time I've had a personal discussion with someone who was put aside, brought through the ringer, bitched and complained about the process, pissed off the immigration officer, etc., one way or another, it always came down to the individual and fitting the profile, whether it be appearance, demeanor, behavior, manners, dress code, etc.  While some things can like the we look can't be avoided, there are certainly measures, I believe, that can be taken to avoid/minimize fitting the profile, and if so, how to get through the process smoothly and without controversy.

With respect to money, currency, and cash on hand, it is not a daunting task to count the money ahead of time and know exactly how much cash you have on hand in each currency.  For example, I could place three money clips, or envelopes, of USD, PHP, and THB, say exactly how much is in each category, and state the total.  It can even be made simpler to write it down.  Whether it's a few hundred or several thousand, the money should be counted ahead of time with the information readily available,  Even more important if you're close to 10,000 USD or between $9,000 and $10,000.  Whether an specific individual cares, or should care, is irrelevant.  To avoid/minimize controversy, it's advisable to count all the money ahead of time.  Even if they do ask questions such as "how much is this, it's straightforward to say this 1,000 Peso is about $22, this 500-baht note is about $15, this 50-Peso bill is about $1.25, etc.

In addition to the above, as noted previously, 

Also, you do not have to fill out the Customs and Immigration forms on the airplane.

The currency question is standard on the blue immigration form which we no longer need to fill out once in the G.E. program.

The title of the article was not modified and was consistent, verbatim, with the BI link provided - http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-to-become-a-trusted-traveler-2013-10 .  If you want to get super-analytic about the title, the "for good" portion doesn't apply 100% of the time, but there are certainly varying levels of egregiousness when it comes to misleading titles, and as this is an informative article, it's not uncommon for titles and details to be clarified within.

Not all airports, and airlines, participate in the TSA precheck program yet.  Eva, for example, does not yet partake in the program.  There's many addition benefits to the Global Entry program including NEXUS, TSA Precheck (when and where applicable), SENTRI, etc.

I have a lot of experience testifying in court, depositions, being on cross-examination, etc. so I know how to minimize answers to questions and keeping things straightforward.  The following video does not apply to being interviewed by Immigration and Customs' agents because we are compelled to answer basic questions such as business or pleasure, yes, no, countries we've visited, currency on hand, etc., but this is a useful video to understand one's obligations on the advice of not talking to the police, you may view the video here if you wish.

h respect to money, currency, and cash on hand, it is not a daunting task to count the money ahead of time and know exactly how much cash you have on hand in each currency. For example, I could place three money clips, or envelopes, of USD, PHP, and THB, say exactly how much is in each category, and state the total. It can even be made simpler to write it down. Whether it's a few hundred or several thousand, the money should be counted ahead of time with the information readily available,

Even in your statements above you did not count your money, but gave estimates. Like you said you were not there and I gave them the truth and not in a testy manner. I did get testy some time back with the female agent but I was already being searched and she was an arrogant bitch. I figured I had enough from her, so I gave her a few of my comments.

I have had a lot of experience with TSA especially with guns and ammo and enough with Customs to know when they are being arrogant and testy. Most are by far decent to deal with, however since I have been traveling to Thailand, I have had more issues with Customs than all other countries I have been to combined.

I am not the only one who has had similar issues. I would like to know these examples you say are the fault of the traveler (actually don't bother) and not the agent. I am not going to spend a lot of time defending myself here because I don't need to and I really don't care what you think as you already demonstrated to me with your comments without knowing me or all the facts. Even your post title indicates you don't know it all about GE as I stated earlier, they do at times make you get in lines and get questioned. GE does not mean you are not subjected to lines for good as many GE travelers already know.

I am not sure if I should ever respond to one of your posts again or just put you on my ignore list. Good luck.

This scenario of being inspected, questioned, and going through a special line or process, etc. because one's "Traveled to Thailand" is a little puzzling to me, but perhaps this might be because other individuals may have specific item(s) to declare through U.S. Customs.  I can whole-heatedly say that each and every one of my experiences in Global Entry, it's been straight to the Kiosk (the computer, not a human), to a computer printout (with no indications of country or counties visited), to simply showing the printout, on the other side of a glass window, to an immigration officer who looks for a special condition (selected at random) on the printout, and not seeing one, waives me through.

Here are the steps:
  1. Go directly to the Kiosk computers - There are approximately 15 Kiosk machines up against the far left wall.  There is no human interaction other than myself when scanning both the passport and fingerprints.  The single booth on the end is only for flight crew personnel and Global Entry users, and all I noticed ahead of me, who did not stop at the Kiosk, were members of the Eva flight crew.
  2. The Kiosk provides a printout - The Kiosk provides this printout.  Nowhere on this printout does it state which country, or countries, I've traveled to.  I was told when I signed up during my interview process, that sometimes, at random, the computer might select me for a random inspection, and unless I see a red mark, or something, I can just show the printout receipt to the agent.
  3. I proceed forward to the booth on the far left - The single booth on the left is one agent who handles only the flight crew and Global Entry holders.  In fact, by the time I get to this booth, all of the flight attendants and flight crew were done, the agent (behind thick glass) just wants to visually see the printout, and I go on my way.  In fact, since there were no other flight crew or GE holders present, the agent in the far left booth temporarily left his post as there was no one else to tend to.  Again, he neither had knowledge of which countries I had been to, nor did he inquire.
  4. I walk straight to the baggage claim - I was the first one on my plane to arrive at the baggage claim.  When I received my bag, I proceeded to Step 5 below.
  5. I went straight to the Global Entry line - As shown here and here, I by-passed all the people standing to the left.  There was one agent looking at the customs forms for both lines.  Since I was only one in the speed-line, the agent simply looked at my printout, and I walked straight out towards the exit as I had nothing to declare.

I don't see any plausible scenario when anyone knew, or even cared, which country, or countries I had traveled to.  I have been through this G.E. process with the Kiosks a few times already and the steps above have been identical each and every time.  The "Location" section of the printout stated the three-letter-code of the arrival airport, not the country visited.  The only country listed on the printout is USA.

All of the examples of experiences I've described above interacting with human agents were prior to my being enrolled in the G.E. Program. and again, I've been through the G.E. Kiosk procedure a few times at this point with identical results.  In fact, the primary reason I enrolled into the Trusted Traveler program is avoid/minimize such human contact, for efficiency, which has been the case each time.  Again, my case may differ from an individual with items to declare.

In my case, there are no visible, or tangible, indications of the country, or countries, traveled to on display.

The U.S. Department of Immigration has been marketing this program and encouraging U.S. Citizens to enroll for efficiency purposes as it reduces manpower and redundancy.  The purpose is that the computer automatically processed the entry screening by photo, fingerprints, and passport identification, thereby alleviating the staff of further inspections.

You sure can ramble on. In 25 years I have traveled to various countries and on my return have never been searched or had any issues. Once I signed up with GE an traveled to Thailand I have been searched 3 times on my return and had my money counted once on my departure from the US. Nothing about me has changed (except getting old). I dress well, am clean cut and very professional.

Maybe you travel from the same one or two airports and they have common sense agents. I have flown (for international flights) in and out of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Minnesota, Detroit and Chicago (all I can think of right now). The only two airports where I have been searched on my return are Detroit and Chicago and only when I have returned from Thailand. I have no explanation for it. Maybe you live in a smaller world. I know I am not the only one who has had issues in Chicago. Detroit I am not sure about but when returning there and having a man sitting there and seeing my print out, I was just waved by. No questions and no going to the search line. However when a woman was there, I showed my kiosk print out and I got interrogated and sent to the search line. Chicago is worse.

OK now you can ramble on some more and tell everybody how I'm an asshole and that is why I get searched. What would we do without you to tell us how to think, dress, speak and whatever or however else your condescending diatribe may direct us/me from the errors of my way.

Of all the travels in my years (I'm pushing 60) I have only had one issue at departure for a country other than Thailand and no searches on my returns. I have even traveled out of the US with a rifle and ammo and returned without being searched other than my rifle.

Please don't tell me more about your little world and experiences because they mean nothing to me. Unless you have departed to and returned from Thailand using Detroit or Chicago and having to deal with female agents.

Archived