Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Did I get scammed at immigration?

rollingstonedan

I think I already know the answer to this but thought I'd put it out there in case it has happened to anyone else. 

So, I went down to immigration in Jomtien this morning to get a 30 day extension.  It was already busy at 9:00am and I was told to come back at 12:30pm.  When I arrived at 12:30pm it was even busier.  Anyway, I received my number and had about a 2 hour wait.  No worries.  

When I got to counter 2 the lady went through all the forms and photocopies, all in order. I had 2000B in my passport for the 1900B fee.  This is when it started to go downhill.  She says to me it's 3000B.

I said " are you sure? I only paid 1900B in November "  She tells me that it's 1900B for 7 days.  I'd never heard of that but paid up because I thought maybe it has changed again.  

She calls me over in 5 minutes and hands me back my passport.  I didn't go to the other desk to collect it and I wasn't waiting too long like everyone else which I guess is worth the extra money.  But I checked the receipt and it says 1900B so I questioned her and her story was all over the place.  

She started to say " it's because more paperwork"  " It's the afternoon "  " sorry I not speak good English " She was getting flustered. 

I just smiled in the end and didn't push her too much because she was getting agitated and started to say that I have been to Thailand many times, so I read between the lines there and said it's ok.  I thought maybe she could make it difficult for me if I carried on so I just said thank you, smiled and left. 

I've never heard of that and I'm pretty sure it is still 1900B but if it's more then it would be good to know. 

Anyone  else had the same situation? 

I got my 30 day extention end of December, no problems 1900B, the 100B change was stapled to the reciept.

I dont know what the visa prices are but sounds like you did "normal" business in Thailand.

I remember one time when my ex-wife needed a document about her son from the local ampur office. The guy said the document would be ready in 2 weeks. Wife said thats too long! Guy tapped a book on his desk and said he needed a new bookmark. Wife slipped a B500 note between the pages of the book. Document was handed over immediatly.

This Is Thailand.

Next trip Aug 31-Sep13, theme: try more freelancers, get dirty! Note to self: TAKE MORE PHOTOS!!!

Yes you were scammed. Are you usually a mug? In that situation I would just refuse and say it should be 1900. You could also wait and see what others paid at the same desk. Safety in numbers, you could complain together.

I understand it goes on but as far as I know I didn't need any favours as it should have been straight forward. Unless they can refuse a 30 day extension?

Yes you were scammed. Are you usually a mug? In that situation I would just refuse and say it should be 1900. You could also wait and see what others paid at the same desk. Safety in numbers, you could complain together.

Ha ha, no I'm not usually a mug but I guess I got a bit concerned when she started to say I've been here a lot and have many stamps. If I was 100% sure that they couldn't refuse the extension then I would have not left until I got my money back.

ahhh it's Thailand...yes u got rolled but on the other hand is 1000 bht worth getting thrown out of the country...she is on shit money and wanted to take her kids out for dinner..what she did is wrong but what u did is right...karma will come ur way mate. Forget it and move on.

you did right mate...I understand extension is at the discretion of immigration officer...hard for you to take but it could of become complicated...at least she may think hard before she does it again

Next time I go in for an extension I'm only going to give her 800B and you've still got my money.

Somehow I don't think I'll get too far!

Anyone who pays it supports this thievery and bribery Style earnings. Yes it is certainly not easy to say this procedure resounding no, but otherwise it will go and then do not complain and it will get worse!

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

She was just trying to recover the 1000 bt that her LT from the night deprived her of, the extra 100 is the taxi money.

................................................................................................................

Maybe I took her a few years back and didn't tip enough! I should have known it would come back to bite me in the arse!

When you've waited almost a year to get to Pattaya, with no GFE sex with ladies back home, a boring and unfulfilling life, I'd pay 4000 baht plus when all that stands between me and heaven is one grumpy immigration official.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

You did not know you were such a hansum man? Everybody wants to fuck you!

Ha ha, no I'm not usually a mug but I guess I got a bit concerned when she started to say I've been here a lot and have many stamps. If I was 100% sure that they couldn't refuse the extension then I would have not left until I got my money back.

Could have got awkward  these guys have the longer arms she probably seen something that justified more questions etc ...

So nice to know a 1000 Baht can still smooth the way .

I think you handled it perfectly it is Thailand after all.

Regards

mrjd

Never had a similar problem at any Thai border, sounds like you were unlucky and got the wrong girl. At least it's an exception, when crossing into Lao or Cambodia by road, the exception is when you don't get scammed...

That being said, your decision was probably the right one even though 1000 thb seems pretty steep.

There was quite a few reports in the autumn that they charged 3000 instead of the correct amount of 1900 baht in Jomtien for the 30 day extension.

Monday this week I was in Udon immigration and they tried very hard to scam me there.  Went to get a visa stamp changed into my new passport which is a free service.  They told me it would cost 500 baht!  I was ready for this as they have scammed so many friends there in the past.  I said I knew it was a free service and she said it was only free if they did a lot of checks, so I said go ahead and do the checks then please.  She took both passports and disappeared for while, came back and demanded the 500 baht again.  I asked for the passports back from her and she refused, asked for a receipt for the passports which she also refused.  I asked again and then said what happens if I am stopped by the police or immigration in a check somewhere, she shrugged her shoulders and said nothing.  I then left the building and drove home which is a two hour drive.  That evening my wife had a phone call from the immigration lady to say that I could pick up my passports next day.  We sent message to say I will be back on Friday this week and we will see what happens then!  Fortunately I have copies of passport and visa stamp that I normally carry with me so I should be OK.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I got my 30 day extention end of December, no problems 1900B, the 100B change was stapled to the reciept.

Same here when I got my 30 day extension in Jomtien. The OP was scammed.

Monday this week I was in Udon immigration and they tried very hard to scam me there.  Went to get a visa stamp changed into my new passport which is a free service.  They told me it would cost 500 baht!  I was ready for this as they have scammed so many friends there in the past.  I said I knew it was a free service and she said it was only free if they did a lot of checks, so I said go ahead and do the checks then please.  She took both passports and disappeared for while, came back and demanded the 500 baht again.  I asked for the passports back from her and she refused, asked for a receipt for the passports which she also refused.  I asked again and then said what happens if I am stopped by the police or immigration in a check somewhere, she shrugged her shoulders and said nothing.  I then left the building and drove home which is a two hour drive.  That evening my wife had a phone call from the immigration lady to say that I could pick up my passports next day.  We sent message to say I will be back on Friday this week and we will see what happens then!  Fortunately I have copies of passport and visa stamp that I normally carry with me so I should be OK.

IMHO in a case like this it's just better to pay the tea money as an extra cost of doing business.

Monday this week I was in Udon immigration and they tried very hard to scam me there. Went to get a visa stamp changed into my new passport which is a free service. They told me it would cost 500 baht! I was ready for this as they have scammed so many friends there in the past. I said I knew it was a free service and she said it was only free if they did a lot of checks, so I said go ahead and do the checks then please. She took both passports and disappeared for while, came back and demanded the 500 baht again. I asked for the passports back from her and she refused, asked for a receipt for the passports which she also refused. I asked again and then said what happens if I am stopped by the police or immigration in a check somewhere, she shrugged her shoulders and said nothing. I then left the building and drove home which is a two hour drive. That evening my wife had a phone call from the immigration lady to say that I could pick up my passports next day. We sent message to say I will be back on Friday this week and we will see what happens then! Fortunately I have copies of passport and visa stamp that I normally carry with me so I should be OK.

She's sure making that hard for you. I hope when you go back she doesn't still demand the 500.

But good on your for standing your ground. I would have done the same if I was 100% sure that she couldn't have made my life hard.

Here is a link to the official website which quotes 1,900 I suggest you print it and take it with you and if they refuse just pay and ask for a receipt before handing over the money then also write on the printout the person name. They will get concerned but either get a full receipt or pay 1,900.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=fee

IMHO in a case like this it's just better to pay the tea money as an extra cost of doing business.

If everyone does that, they will be able to up the price  and everyone will suffer.

She's sure making that hard for you. I hope when you go back she doesn't still demand the 500.

But good on your for standing your ground. I would have done the same if I was 100% sure that she couldn't have made my life hard.

I am not sure if she can make things hard for me, my married visa will be needed very soon!  Don`t know if she will try and get her  own back or decide I might be too much trouble!

If everybody continues to complain then they will get scared as they know someone WILL raise the issue higher, BUT who is higher ?

In theory there is the Generals anti corruption committee which I will investigate if she does give me a hard time over my visa.  I have already informed the British Embassy in BKK what happened in case I needed a new passport.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Archived