IGNORED

Traveling to HCMC, need advice

Mad Max

Traveling to HCMC on Tuesday and needs help on the following issues

1. Where is the best place to change my £ to US$? Was told by a fellow BM that most places prefer to be paid in US$...

2. Any advise on how to get safely from HCMC airport to the hotel, avoiding scams etc?

3. Scams to avoid in Vietnam?

Thanks

Max

Just call it Saigon, much easier. Ho Chi Minh City is a stupid name, first of all there was no good reason to change the name, and the new name too long.

Hello Max,

First post.  I've been looking for somewhere I can contribute.  I have made 4 business trips to HCMC this year.  With that background let me answer your questions:-

1)  I think you'll be better off with VND.  I never used anything else.  Any Sacombank will change your £ to either USD or VND.  There rates are pretty good.  You might do marginally better at a money changer.  You can find the one I used if you go to then far end of Bui Vien (away from Ben Thanh market) turn left and about 3 doors before the roundabout).

2) Take a green and white Vinasun taxi.  They will always use the meter.  Trip to district 1 will take around 30 minutes and cost about 200,000 VND ($10).  It's most unlikely that the driver will speak any English.  So, have the name and address of your hotel printed out to show him, maybe a map too. 

3) HCMC seems pretty safe.  Just take the normal precautions with your valuables that you would in any third world country: your smart phone is probably worth more than 3 months average wage.  If you go to Ben Thanh market, especially at night, there will be pickpockets.

Last, but not least, read this excellent thread: http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/65815-vietnam-101/

I'm sure you'll enjoy Vietnam

If I remember correctly you can pay at a kiosk for a taxi inside the airport and they will take you to the taxi, then all easy and safe.

I love Saigon, hope you have fun.

Change a minimum of your cash at the airport (50-100), just enough for taxi fare, a meal, and one night stay at a hotel. Money changers in district 1 will give the best rates, check about 5 places. Don't change to USD first.

I use ATMs or money changers around D1. The travel agents around there are very helpful.

Book the taxi inside at the airport Vinasun or Mai Linh are legit. Be sure to have the address to show the taxi.

Petty crime is a problem in Saigon. Don't use your phone on the street and only carry enough cash for the day. Keep cards and valuables locked up in your hotel.

Saigon is a blast. Be sure you have a guest friendly hotel! MANY hotels wont let you bring a girl back with you. I live in Vietnam now. Visit my site in the signature for a ton of Vietnam info. Message me if you have any questions. Have fun!

Pattaya, Thailand vs Angeles City, Philippines - Best City For Mongering? Cast Your Vote Here!

Just as well I haven't been to Vietnam yet, I thought Ho Chi Minh city was Hanoi not Saigon! 55555

2. Any advise on how to get safely from HCMC airport to the hotel, avoiding scams etc?

On arrival I met up with others (backpackers) looking for a taxi. We walked from the International Terminal over to the Domestic Terminal and caught a

cab to District 1. It worked out well.  :GoldenSmile1:   

Archived