IGNORED

Learn some Thai curse words for awareness use good judgement

luvtomuff

I argue with katoeys on beach road and use them all time

Is that beofre or after they make a grab for your wallet?

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I argue with katoeys on beach road and use them all time

Which do you use - the katoeys or the bad words?

Evil

:Bravo1:

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

To be honest I only know a few bad words but never use them. Thais very rarely swear in conversation unlike us Brits so it can be a little hurdle to overcome. Probably best not to know. A few girls said to me last trip that why I didnt swear alot like other Farang lol. I know they dont like it in english so must hate it even more in thai especially coming from a foreigner.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

I have to admit that when i was in thailand i had to control or at least consider what i was saying in english let alone thai, as i sometimes tend to use the fuck word a bit too much without really realising...................so another good reason to be in LOS as i don't swear hardly ever.

My thai lady hates it so i try to be good................lol. Fucking oath.........................lol.

Good for awareness, but agree totally with the OP's initial comments that it is not for a foreigner to use, but good to understand I have been called "kwai" a couple of times and would have had no idea that I was subjected to an insult unless I knew the real meaning. My caddie used to call me regularly and when she eventually acquired a Thai boyfriend he did not appreciate me returning her calls and if he answered he simply said "kwai" (buffalo) and hang up.

As a suggestion for Thai sland, the 2nd Volume of "Speak like a Thai" is sub-titled "Thai Sland and Idioms" and is also useful. It comes as a CD with an accompanying book. The expression in this book can be used (I think).

It is actually entertaining and quite funny to learn the literal translation of some of the Thai slang. For example:

regular customer = regular leg

to cheat = to steal chicken

dead broke = all gone from the ass

to stumble and fall = to catch frog

language of love = flower language

penis = pigeon (nok-kao)

he can't get a hard on = the pigeon doesn't crow

to talk badly about someone (as in understanding the swear words in tis thread) = to burn (pao เผา) with a rising tone.

The problem is remembering the damn expressions. Personally I need a memory upgrade.

Well said Dr W. Then the thread stays. Unless Bryan pulls it.

Edited by Luvtomuff

Looking forward to spending time with friends again and missing Thailand

Great thread just realised my ex's pet name for me was mah = dog called me bok mah Jonny or just mah Jonny for the whole six weeks we were together actually introduced me to her friends as Mah Jonny haha got to love em.

Great thread just realised my ex's pet name for me was mah = dog called me bok mah Jonny or just mah Jonny for the whole six weeks we were together actually introduced me to her friends as Mah Jonny haha got to love em.

look on the bright side..... mah also means horse! Could be a compliment, stallion!

• 4 weeks later...

Kort paa meung - or - kort mair meung.

Lao for fuck your dad and fuck your mom. VERY BAD, obviously.

Edited by barney

• 2 weeks later...

When I first got to thailand to stay some thai friends who are just coming out of their teens told me:

"falang say 'hey hey'"

"thai people say 'kerwhy krab'

"falang say 'how are you?, correct'?

me - yes, in thailand 'sabai dee mai?'?

"no no, not polite, "paw mung dtai krab", more polite'

I knew instantly from their laughing that it was a wind up but didn't know to a few months later what it actually meant. Now, whenever I see them I raise my hard and without speaking mouth 'kerwhy krab', always puts them into stitches.

I stear clear of using curses, it's taken a lot more seriously here than in the UK and I hate it when bargirls have a mouth on them and swear so I can only imagine how much thai people would hate it if a foreigner started cursing.

Amoung friends I think 'kwaii' (buffalo) is ok, it seems a light insult that friends use a lot but I wouldn't advice using it with anyone unless you're directing it to yourself that is.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I dislike being called Ma-dam. Initially, it was because it made me feel old but then I found out that in Thai it means Black Dog.

Now my reply to anyone who says Madam to me is - Ka, Chan mee hog mar dam = Yes, I have 6 black dogs. It isn't insulting and I always get a smile or a laugh and they never call me Madam again.

Problem solved!

Another time there was an extremely drunk Thai Lady sitting in our street shouting profanities at anyone who passed and the shop owners in the area. I had just come back from work and had no idea what was going on.

On my arrival, this lady started attacking people and then came to the shop where I was sat and physically attacked a Thai Lady and her Husband who were sat next to me. Her rage that no-one was hitting back seems to escalate and she tried to attack me then.

After she scratched my face, I stood up and pushed her away and told her to go away - och bye. She eventually did go across the street but then decided that I must be a Kwai - Buffalo and was yelling that at the top of her voice. My response was Gap Khun Kee Moo, (saow wow) - and you are Pig Shit, (shut up) I think this is Esaan or Lao Language. To my amazement, everyone in the street started laughing and clapped their hands and she became so embarrassed that she went home. I was then bought a lot of drinks.

Edited by joskydive

Joskydive--great tale. And adds to my point in my previous post on this thread. If someone is insulting you, you will know it. If you happen to overhear conversations and you are not fluent in the language you may jump to the wrong conclusions. Using curse words in a language you are not fluent in can lead you to a place you dont want to go.

bolly

What... service... may I do you? Hmmm? You know I demand payment.--- I brought payment. Look! BAM!! An undead monkey! Top that!

2A2A2C5401C889635E9B5481680DBAF6.png

babydollsaddict.gif

Joskydive--great tale. And adds to my point in my previous post on this thread. If someone is insulting you, you will know it. If you happen to overhear conversations and you are not fluent in the language you may jump to the wrong conclusions. Using curse words in a language you are not fluent in can lead you to a place you dont want to go.

bolly

Absolutely!! That little event still gives me the chills down my spine and it happened at least 6 - 7 months ago.

Another episode I just remembered was when my husband and I were entertaining his friends from work in our home. As the drink was flowing freely, so was the joking and my husband said something to me which was a bit naughty and I laughed and replied 'Bad Man' but very quickly.

The whole room just stopped to a deathly silence. When I asked what the matter was, they asked me why I would say 'Pak Mar' to my husband. Apparently, 'Pak Mar' means 'Mouth of a Dog' and if you wish to remain alive - don't ever use it as it's probably one of the biggest insults you can give!! I'm so lucky we were at home and all these people are friends of ours. If it had happened outside I think there would have been a different outcome.

So, I'm afraid you have to be careful even when you are using your own language, or at least speak slowly.

These words should never be used until you have become a fluent Thai speaker.

Once you have become a fluent Thai speaker then you will understand you don't want to use them. :Flying:

Well, I dislike being called Ma-dam. Initially, it was because it made me feel old but then I found out that in Thai it means Black Dog.

Now my reply to anyone who says Madam to me is - Ka, Chan mee hog mar dam = Yes, I have 6 black dogs. It isn't insulting and I always get a smile or a laugh and they never call me Madam again...etc.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about this, as they also call each other "Madam" when taking the piss or if they know a girl has a farang boyfriend. It isn't deroatory unless they are being sarcastic.

However, I believe the correct translation of "I have six dogs" is มีหมาดำหกตัวค่ะ "Mee (m) maa ® dam (m) hok (l) dtuaa (m) ka (f)". It's not easy for me to tell exactly what they are hearing when you say what you think is "I have six black dogs", especially depending on the tones. Maybe I'll try figuring it out after a few hours of sleep.

Edited by Bruce Mangosteen

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

...they asked me why I would say 'Pak Mar' to my husband. Apparently, 'Pak Mar' means 'Mouth of a Dog' and if you wish to remain alive - don't ever use it as it's probably one of the biggest insults you can give!!...etc.
In that context, "ปากหมา" "bpaak (l) maa ®" means something like "You have a mouth like a dog!", meaning you are accusing him of using foul or offensive language. They probably thought this was out of place or uncalled-for rather than it being such a terrible insult, especially in light of the fact that it would take a LOT to goad a proper Thai wife into repremanding her husband in public. Fluent Thai speakers please feel free to comment. Again, these are the pitfalls of using even the mildest reproaches in Thai; using out and out profanity should be avoided at all cost IMHO. Edited by Bruce Mangosteen

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

In that context, "ปากหมา" "bpaak (l) maa ®" means something like "You have a mouth like a dog!", meaning you are accusing him of using foul or offensive language. They probably thought this was out of place or uncalled-for rather than it being such a terrible insult, especially in light of the fact that it would take a LOT to goad a proper Thai wife into repremanding her husband in public. Fluent Thai speakers please feel free to comment. Again, these are the pitfalls of using even the mildest reproaches in Thai; using out and out profanity should be avoided at all cost IMHO.

Yeah, personally I think that the best policy is to just avoid the whole insult thing when it comes to speaking Thai. Even if they say something really bad it's probably retribution enough to let them know that you understood the insult. Just this fact alone would make them loose face in their peers eyes, no need to retaliate IMO. If you get into the world of insults with a Thai you're playing by their rules and therefore at a disadvantage.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

ok here is a question I was walking down Soi 6 wearing a Thai tourist shirt with a tuk tuk on it. many of the girls kept saying something that sounded like seventeen, no idea what they were saying. Anyone know??

ok here is a question I was walking down Soi 6 wearing a Thai tourist shirt with a tuk tuk on it. many of the girls kept saying something that sounded like seventeen, no idea what they were saying. Anyone know??
No idea. The formal name for a took-took is "สามล้อ" "saam ® laaw(m)", literally "three wheeler", maybe it was that?

The most obvious thing they could be saying that sounds like "seventeen" is "ส้นตีน" "sohn (f) dteen (m)" which is an insult meaning somebody is a lout or crude. Like all insults, this one can be used as a semi-affectionate pisstake depending on the tone of voice and facial expression.